Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Doc, Question:

You mention that your plants do not get amber trichomes. I am wondering if that is due to the fact that you are growing high brix or is that due to the strain? (both?) and how do you know when to pull them?

My more direct curiosity is how to know when the common strains I tend to grow may be ready for harvest. I don't have the type of high end sativa pure strains that are often noted here. Instead, I will be using everyday guy strains from layer one seed banks like those who sponsor this site.

Thank you for your time and guidance Doc!

Doc, wondering if/when you have time if you'd comment on the following. I'm doing small grows - 2-4 plants at time and have had to refigure the amount of nutes for the smaller number of plants. Basically, I've taken your formula, i.e. 1 oz/qt as an example, and broken it down into a "per plant" amount. So,...

Based on 6 plants or 30 sq ft of garden:

Drenches: ½ oz per whatever amount of water is used: Individual dose - 3ml/plant

Foliar sprays: 1 oz/quart: reduce dose so as not to have a lot of leftover - 1/4oz/8oz of h2o, 3 ml/2 ⅔oz of h2o, 1 ml/1 ⅓ oz H2O etc.

Transplant (at ¼ strength per watering): 1.25ml/plant

Tea: 3.0 ml/6 plants: .5 ml/plant

Do these look right to you? So far, I haven't had any problems with nute burns and the plants seem to be doing well. Just want to be careful and, if these amounts are low, I'll want to increase them to get the most out of the crop. :)

If these look right, and anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share my cheat sheet.

Here's a picture of two plants: PineApple Trainwreck on the left, Gold Leaf on the right. I'm using the Mainifold or Mainlining technique. Both are on day 25 of vegging. I've already topped twice and will do the third and final topping later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.
IMG_0003299.JPG

Doc, wondering if/when you have time if you'd comment on the following. I'm doing small grows - 2-4 plants at time and have had to refigure the amount of nutes for the smaller number of plants. Basically, I've taken your formula, i.e. 1 oz/qt as an example, and broken it down into a "per plant" amount. So,...

Based on 6 plants or 30 sq ft of garden:

Drenches: ½ oz per whatever amount of water is used: Individual dose - 3ml/plant

Foliar sprays: 1 oz/quart: reduce dose so as not to have a lot of leftover - 1/4oz/8oz of h2o, 3 ml/2 ⅔oz of h2o, 1 ml/1 ⅓ oz H2O etc.

Transplant (at ¼ strength per watering): 1.25ml/plant

Tea: 3.0 ml/6 plants: .5 ml/plant

Do these look right to you? So far, I haven't had any problems with nute burns and the plants seem to be doing well. Just want to be careful and, if these amounts are low, I'll want to increase them to get the most out of the crop. :)

If these look right, and anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share my cheat sheet.

Here's a picture of two plants: PineApple Trainwreck on the left, Gold Leaf on the right. I'm using the Mainifold or Mainlining technique. Both are on day 25 of vegging. I've already topped twice and will do the third and final topping later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.
IMG_0003299.JPG

They look great, except for perhaps a bit of overwatering, probably due to removing the leaves and slowing the plant's metabolism.

Hey Doc, first of all am I glad to hear you'll be appearing at the LA cup, I live there and will also attending it would be an honor to shake your hand and see those fantastic buds in person.

I also have 1 question regarding seed grows, this is my first time starting from seed and I'm wondering how long should I wait to give the first growth drench? You've said wait til the 5th set of nodes to spray Brix but how about DeStress?

Hey Doc, first of all am I glad to hear you'll be appearing at the LA cup, I live there and will also attending it would be an honor to shake your hand and see those fantastic buds in person.

I also have 1 question regarding seed grows, this is my first time starting from seed and I'm wondering how long should I wait to give the first growth drench? You've said wait til the 5th set of nodes to spray Brix but how about DeStress?

If you're in a one gallon or less container for germination, I'd say give them 2 waterings before the first drench. You can spray DeStress at any time, but only if the plants show signs of stress....which they often do. If they look perfect---which they also often do----there isn't really any benefit to spraying DeStress.

If you're in a larger container than one gallon, you'll want to go 3 waterings before a drench, but I'll encourage you to start your seeds in a smaller container.

I really like growing from seed and look forward to starting some soon. Clones are all well and good, but it's really damn lazy. I much prefer sorting out males and finding different pheno's to grow from seeds.

Thanks for the help doc I've got them in plastic cups for now they just sprouted this week, out of 9 beans planted 7 are looking good and 2 not so good having really slow growth. Im planning on doing growth energy possibly beginning of next week.

Thanks for the help doc I've got them in plastic cups for now they just sprouted this week, out of 9 beans planted 7 are looking good and 2 not so good having really slow growth. Im planning on doing growth energy possibly beginning of next week.

In tiny containers like that, I recommend soaking them in a Transplant drench. Up can to a gallon before using Growth Energy.

Pics from today:

Grape Ape, Afghan and Champagne. This is the HID garden. I'm pretty happy with this round so far.

IMG_69092.JPG

IMG_69082.jpg

IMG_69075.jpg

IMG_69061.jpg

IMG_69053.JPG

IMG_69044.jpg

IMG_69034.jpg

IMG_69023.jpg

IMG_69013.jpg

IMG_69004.JPG

IMG_68993.jpg

IMG_68984.JPG

IMG_68975.jpg

IMG_68964.JPG

IMG_68953.jpg

IMG_68944.jpg

Just do the best you can, with what you have, and think CALCIUM all the time. Find someone who grows absolutely mouth watering tomatos and find out what's in their soil. You're on the right track....just think very small rocks and calcium.

Just a question here...

What about oyster shells? Raising laying hens I would by a 50# of crushed oyster shells at the feed store to feed the hens to strengthen the egg shells. Its purified and semi crush but lots of powder in the bag. Also used it growing tomatos also. Sprinkle it on the ground and water in. Works great.

Or is it not the form of calcium needed.

ive used crushed oyster shell in mineralised soil and had excellent results. See below.
western_winds_week_8_11.jpg

However i did not add oyster shell to my current kit grow and the outcome is even better. Oyster shell might best prove its worth in soil that is reused since those bits are quite durable. Im considering a soil test to determine the usefullness of OS after a run or after a decent cooking period.

Im curious to hear what doc thoughts may be.

Ive so far relied on docs mix. But there are several ag companies that do soil tests. I think doc will facilitate a test for you that uses techniques proven to optimize cannabis quality.
There are several methods used for testing and they yield different results and recommendations.

Sent you a pm about this as well.

ive used crushed oyster shell in mineralised soil and had excellent results. See below.
western_winds_week_8_11.jpg

However i did not add oyster shell to my current kit grow and the outcome is even better. Oyster shell might best prove its worth in soil that is reused since those bits are quite durable. Im considering a soil test to determine the usefullness of OS after a run or after a decent cooking period.

Im curious to hear what doc thoughts may be.

Limestone is the best form of calcium, hands down. Combine limestone with calcined clay (soft rock phosphate) and calcium sulphate (Gypsum) and you've got your best sources of calcium. In my kit, I use carbonized limestone, which is limestone pelletized with biochar and molasses as a binder. It tends to float in the soil more, whereas regular limestone quickly leaches.

How do you test your soil Von?

If you'd like to test your soil, please contact me if you're interested in getting specific info on cannabis. It won't cost you a dime more than going through the lab, but they won't talk to you about certain crops for obvious reasons.
Ive so far relied on docs mix. But there are several ag companies that do soil tests. I think doc will facilitate a test for you that uses techniques proven to optimize cannabis quality.
There are several methods used for testing and they yield different results and recommendations.

Yep, please go through me if you want a soil test for cannabis. Again, there is no extra expense in doing so.

Well I don't want to overwhelm the page with my problems however, I'm just using a Mirical grow soil and want to get into nutrients real hard for the first time. I've had a hard time finding them around my area at this time because it's so damn cold. So I figured I should no my soil and water make up before I start adding single nutrients. Am I on the right track of should I just read the bag and go from there?

Well I don't want to overwhelm the page with my problems however, I'm just using a Mirical grow soil and want to get into nutrients real hard for the first time. I've had a hard time finding them around my area at this time because it's so damn cold. So I figured I should no my soil and water make up before I start adding single nutrients. Am I on the right track of should I just read the bag and go from there?

No....not quite. If you want to get on the right track, start reading this thread and the thread linked to in my signature "How to use the kit." You'll be able to learn all the science and practices behind all of this that way.

Back
Top Bottom