DrDankNstien's Perpetual High Brix & SuperSoil Grow With TopLed's Custom Mars II

I've had the same frustration with my plants in HB - they just don't stretch. But ... this makes me think. My pure sativas like the Neville's pheno and the Utopia Haze do stretch normally. It's the hybrids that don't. Maybe it's another way the "sativafication" shows itself.

I even raised my light and no go...they wont stretch at all which led me to adding some cfls to lighten up the sides because the undergrowth isnt getting much light at all. I want to lst but the stem is so thick im kinda scared to try and bend it over. Oh well, the pleasures of kit growing! Things could be worse lol :)

my bomber jacket and my dr. martens out for the cold weather.

There goes a frostbite case :cheesygrinsmiley:... you are gonna have to dress warmer than that :rofl:

Soooo, those pics are purty :cheesygrinsmiley: Canadian surfing :surf: :rofl:

When you get going fast on one of those death machines it passes surfing... it is more like riding the razor thin edge of life!!!!!!!

Rock ON!
:allgood:
Dr. D.

Subbed because damn! Oh and all the cool kids are here. I wanna be a cool kid!

I have a question after reading the whole journal. Are you using the teas on the HB plants?

Seriously very pretty. Reps for sharing your work.

Mighty nice space you have there.

I was going to PM you, but others might benefit from it here...

Could you share the details about your custom spectrum for those LED panels?
You have the big ones, right?

I want 4 of the 1200's to light my new larger space. I already have 2 3w x 144 lights. All 6 will do it I think. In fact, I may be able to get away with the 900's, but I can't let go of the mantra "more light is better". :blalol:

Now about the dirt...
I agree with everything you say. I may not be as convinced about the easier part, but I'll leave that for now. You left out what is, IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of growing in soil. It's dirty! I recently transplanted my mothers, which meant working with dirt. It was a lot of work, and I have dirt everywhere now. :blalol: I've always loved how clean my hydro grows are. That may not be enough to offset all the other things you mentioned, but I felt compelled to bring up this omission. :winkyface: My basement is like my lab, so I am always cleaning. Days after the transplanting and soil mixing, I'm still sweeping up dirt in the flowering room. Sorry, it was the first thing I thought of when I read about your switch to soil. It's so dirty! :biglaugh:

Easier? hmmmm.... :hmmmm:

First, I do want to try out Doc's kit and try some supersoil, but that won't happen until I finish building out the space.

I'm not sure I agree that soil is easier. I know it was a lot of work mixing up my soil (~1.5 yd2/m2). Transplanting isn't too bad, and something I've always enjoyed doing. The two are probably about even on this one, depending on your techniques. Mixing soil vs cleaning rock? I'd almost say it's a wash. I built a little screen box and clean the rock dry. Cleaning the last batch took about 5-6 hours for my helper last time. I can probably mix a batch of soil faster than that, but not a lot by the time I get it into tubs. My rock never has to leave my basement. I will be mixing soil in my garage from now on. This is unique to my situation though.

Supersoil does sound pretty easy. I spend some time pre-making the soil and then just add genetics, water, and love. Sounds pretty awesome!

As soon as you start making teas, or especially using techniques like Doc's, I can't say I agree that it's any easier than hydro. Sure, I monitor ph, and adjust it about once a week in addition to a weekly res change. I guess it just doesn't seem to hard for me to monitor a central reservoir for all the plants. I still have to mix nutes for my soil mom's and honestly, I think they are more work to feed and water. Start adding in the sprays and certain timings, and well... I have trouble saying that sounds easier. :blalol:

hmmm just did preview and I got wordy!
I didn't mean to start defending hydro. I know why you did it and your reasons are valid. I don't have time to add that to my mix.

My real goal was to check out the new journal, and find out about the "custom" part of your TopLED lights. :Namaste:
Hey Hiker long time no see bro:welcome: Graytail found my post quicker than I could lol... thanks Graytail:Namaste: and hes right Area 51 panels replace blue diodes with more natural whites, theres is plenty of blue in them, the blue's are unnessesary. And as for the mess from soil one word bro.."Shopvac" a soil growers best friend lol.. I used to hate cleaning the rocks after each round, I would much prefer to mix soil twice a year than deal with that stuff every 9 weeks any day, if its Supersoil once its mixed your done, put plants in it give them water watch them grow, thats it. With Hb it takes me 30 seconds to mix any of the sprays, put 1 quart of water in the sprayer and 1 oz with a shot glass shake it up and spray it, it takes maybe a total of 4-5 minutes to mix it and spray the plants, same goes for drenches, fill a bucket with water add the 2-3 oz of stress or whatever add some yucca stir and water. When you defoliate, debranch or train your plants how much of a pain is it to get around in your space to do each plant? in soil I sit on a milk crate or a chair with the plant in front of me and spin it as I go then slide it out of the way and grab another one, no crawling around no sore back. Its just like any other style of growing really, once you get into a routine it becomes second nature, you can do it with your eyes closed. I know its hard to believe..at least it was for me before I switched to soil but the quality imho is better, much smoother smoke(I flushed for 14 days in hydro) much more flavor, the individual terpenes are much more prominent in soil than hydro, the weed is just flat out better quality, its clear to me and my customers, everyone of them likes the soil meds better than the hydro, did I mention its cheaper too, 2 batches of supersoil cost me around 600 bucks to make and will last me a full year, with synthetics and all the addatives(budcandy, sensizym, overdrive ect, ect..) I was spending 400 + bucks a round in nutes, with 9 week strains thats 5 rounds a year at a cost of around 2000 dollars. In 5 years of growing thats 7 grand worth of savings to grow better quality meds and thats just the nutes, once u get into the cost of replacing pumps, meters airstones ect ect the savings really add up, the only regret I have with switching to soil is not doing it sooner:)

Is it really about easy or about top quality meds. I prefer the later personally. If its a little bit of extra work to make it 10x better than any hydro I've ever smoked, its worth that 3 more minutes it takes me to sweep up...lol

Hydro has always given me a headache.
it isnt extra work its just different, I spend less time in my rooms now that im all soil than I did with hydro, mainly because its so much easier to get around and work on individual plants:)

Unbelievable grow Dr. Dank! Very impressive! Love your yard too! I will be in Canada for a couple days, in a month or two! LOL!:high-five:
Thanks Pinky:Namaste:

Hope we enjoy the pics, he says. LOL AWESOME pictures! And congrats on the pollinating! +reps on the way. :thumb:
Thanks bro I cant wait to see how this cross turns out:)

I even raised my light and no go...they wont stretch at all which led me to adding some cfls to lighten up the sides because the undergrowth isnt getting much light at all. I want to lst but the stem is so thick im kinda scared to try and bend it over. Oh well, the pleasures of kit growing! Things could be worse lol :)
yes i ve also noticed that the hb plants are much stiffer, I get all the training done in the first 2 stages in the veg room before they get too stiff to work with, by the time they get transplanted to the 10's all the training is done pretty much, I just install the cage and make sure all the mains are outside the bottom ring then let them grow unmolested for the final 3 weeks of veg, I like them to be fully recovered from transplant and training stress before I flip, once I flip the lights I want them focusing on making flowers not recovering:)

There goes a frostbite case :cheesygrinsmiley:... you are gonna have to dress warmer than that :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:yep he wouldnt last 5 minutes on a sled in that get up lol

Soooo, those pics are purty :cheesygrinsmiley: Canadian surfing :surf: :rofl:

When you get going fast on one of those death machines it passes surfing... it is more like riding the razor thin edge of life!!!!!!!

Rock ON!
:allgood:
Dr. D.
Exactly bro theres no drug on the planet that compares to ripping down a trail or a lake at 120 mph, easily my favorite thing in the world to do in the winter:)

Subbed because damn! Oh and all the cool kids are here. I wanna be a cool kid!

I have a question after reading the whole journal. Are you using the teas on the HB plants?

Seriously very pretty. Reps for sharing your work.
Welcome Vegas flower,Im using T n J's microbial soil life activator tea one feeding and T n J's biopeat tea the next:)

:rofl:

Happy Weednsday Dr. D :thumb:
Thanks Cronic and a happy...wtf is the word for Thursday again lol..have a dank day brother:tokin:

I just figured out a much much much easier way to filter cannabutter once its cooked, bubble bags!!! I have 3 extra bags that have been laying around for months, 220,90 and 45 micron, it took me 10 minutes to run the butter through all 3 bags and done deal! :)

Hey Hiker long time no see bro:welcome: Graytail found my post quicker than I could lol... thanks Graytail:Namaste: and hes right Area 51 panels replace blue diodes with more natural whites, theres is plenty of blue in them, the blue's are unnessesary. And as for the mess from soil one word bro.."Shopvac" a soil growers best friend lol.. I used to hate cleaning the rocks after each round, I would much prefer to mix soil twice a year than deal with that stuff every 9 weeks any day, if its Supersoil once its mixed your done, put plants in it give them water watch them grow, thats it. With Hb it takes me 30 seconds to mix any of the sprays, put 1 quart of water in the sprayer and 1 oz with a shot glass shake it up and spray it, it takes maybe a total of 4-5 minutes to mix it and spray the plants, same goes for drenches, fill a bucket with water add the 2-3 oz of stress or whatever add some yucca stir and water. When you defoliate, debranch or train your plants how much of a pain is it to get around in your space to do each plant? in soil I sit on a milk crate or a chair with the plant in front of me and spin it as I go then slide it out of the way and grab another one, no crawling around no sore back. Its just like any other style of growing really, once you get into a routine it becomes second nature, you can do it with your eyes closed. I know its hard to believe..at least it was for me before I switched to soil but the quality imho is better, much smoother smoke(I flushed for 14 days in hydro) much more flavor, the individual terpenes are much more prominent in soil than hydro, the weed is just flat out better quality, its clear to me and my customers, everyone of them likes the soil meds better than the hydro, did I mention its cheaper too, 2 batches of supersoil cost me around 600 bucks to make and will last me a full year, with synthetics and all the addatives(budcandy, sensizym, overdrive ect, ect..) I was spending 400 + bucks a round in nutes, with 9 week strains thats 5 rounds a year at a cost of around 2000 dollars. In 5 years of growing thats 7 grand worth of savings to grow better quality meds and thats just the nutes, once u get into the cost of replacing pumps, meters airstones ect ect the savings really add up, the only regret I have with switching to soil is not doing it sooner:)

DrDank... Great stuff!

You mentioned you spend 600 for 2 batches of HB soil to be made? May I ask how many bales of HP pro are using per batch? The 3.8(?) cuft bales are under 40 each here...TY...

300 bucks a batch for supersoil not hb,a batch of supersoil is around 250 gallons of soil,I use around 6 gallons of ss per 10 gallon pot so that's around 40 10-15 oz plants per batch or $7 50 a plant give or take. Doesn't get much cheaper than that for quality meds:-D

Exactly bro theres no drug on the planet that compares to ripping down a trail or a lake at 120 mph, easily my favorite thing in the world to do in the winter:)

I have had similar experiences on a motorcycle and water jet... but... a sled that will go over 100 mph is much closer to "the edge" than either of them will ever take you.

Don't fall off the edge

Dang

Beautiful Plants buddy!

120 is fast...i had a zx 10 that went nearly 100 in 1st gear, need a smooth surface for that.

"Generally speaking, the lighter green is a good thing, provided the plants are healthy in other ways. It means nitrogen is being "fixed" by bacteria, not merely the salt route into the plant." Doc how did you figure that out???

I just figured out a much much much easier way to filter cannabutter once its cooked, bubble bags!!! I have 3 extra bags that have been laying around for months, 220,90 and 45 micron, it took me 10 minutes to run the butter through all 3 bags and done deal! :)
Dang, wish I had some bubble bags. I've been using a plastic coffee filter insert with a fine mesh screen on it. It works great, nothing gets through it..... but it is small.
Thanks for that tip! :thumb:

Beautiful Plants buddy!

120 is fast...i had a zx 10 that went nearly 100 in 1st gear, need a smooth surface for that.

"Generally speaking, the lighter green is a good thing, provided the plants are healthy in other ways. It means nitrogen is being "fixed" by bacteria, not merely the salt route into the plant." Doc how did you figure that out???

I was taught that, actually. We all know the deep, dark green of borderline too much N in hydro or salt ferts in soil. We all know the "claw" that comes from too much N.

It's also true that too much Nitrate will give an ultra-lush look, with weak stems and delayed bloom.

In nature, many plants don't get "fed" nitrates, they must use microbial action to break down N2 into NH3, which is usable by the plant.

In an ideal situation, plants get what they need via microbial action and not so much from salts. This will result in a lighter, brighter green color, with vigorous blooms. All of this occurs at the roots and requires not only bacterial action but considerable energy from the plant via root exudates, mostly sugars.

So.....while our plants aren't the best nitrogen fixers compared to legumes, they do indeed form root nodules and fix nitrogen from the atmosphere given healthy biota.

I found a nice little treat in my grinder lastnight, this screen hasn't worked in months but now all of a sudden theres a nice pile in there:party: gotta love vaping pure trychs first thing in the morning, might be time for a nap :)
1390494543292.jpg

I found a nice little treat in my grinder lastnight, this screen hasn't worked in months but now all of a sudden theres a nice pile in there:party: gotta love vaping pure trychs first thing in the morning, might be time for a nap :)

Yo if you want your screen to be like day one, scrape as much kief off the grinder into the kief catch as possible, then soak the grinder in isopropyl for 15-20 minutes. Strain the isopropyl through a coffee filter and let dry for extra kief, then I run my grinder under hot water and use dawn dish soap on the screen. Besides all the nicks and scratches it looks like day one, and the screen works for a bit again.

Back
Top Bottom