Euphoria - RQS - CFL - Soil - Second Grow

Sh1t... I just checked the water's PH in my watering bucket... It was at ~7.5

This water I had adjusted last week, and it was at ~6.2

Is it possible that the PH in the bucket changes over time ?

That's why my poor seedling looks pale green, and maybe why Euclonia exhibits some little problems too. Grrr.
And I just watered (small watering); I think I should water again with correct ph, even if the plants will be more wet than I'd like...

A nute solution should be mixed for just a couple days and it will drift the ph over time.

No nutes yet. Plain tap water, let stand 24hrs+ then I add PH- to get the right PH.

I'm surprised it could naturally drift like that, but I'll triple check next time(s). Maybe I messed up in some way. Dunno.

AAAAAAAHHHH, god I think I know what happened !

I watered Baby Phoria several times in her solo-cup. I put water in and empty solocup, then dipped BabyPhoria in that cup until she drank most of the water, from the bottom. What was let of the water, I put back in the watering bucket... That must be it, the seedling soil changed (more alkaline) the remaining water, and I did that several times !

BabyPhoria looks like shes wants to get better and greener.

She still has a long way to go before being as healthy and beautiful as my first grow.

Here are two photos of actual babyphoria and old-Phoria, both at 16 days...

BabyPhoria

BabyPhoria_16_days.jpg

Previous grow Phoria

Old_Euphoria-16.jpg

I did try a few different things on this grow :
- Mix 2700K with 6500K lights (I now think seedlings are better with only 6500ks)
- Watering from the bottom
- 24/0 light schedule instead of 20/4

I'm not sure what are the causes of this less-than-optimal grow, but since I realized that my PH was off... It's probably more a PH issue that anything else. We'll see in the next week how she bounces back ;-)

If returning the water from Baby's pot to the watering bucket caused the pH in the bucket to go to 7.5, doesn't that indicate that the soil is probably way too alkaline?

Absolutely. But I forgot to mention... Also on my very first watering I had forgotten to adjust PH.
So it's a chain of events that led to a continuously too alkaline PH.

Good news is, BabyPhoria is changing colors, the leaves are progressively getting darker green and new growth looks better too.
BP

Light fixture :

After all, I don't like my new light fixture. Not flexible enough.

So for BabyPhoria at least, I'm going back to a power-bar system. But I'm mounting the power bars on a 20x20 metal grill, so it's really to add bars, move the bars, etc.

Here's babyPhoria under 4x650K and 1 2700K. My meter showed 35,0000 Lux in the middle top of canopy ;-)

201710201.JPG

BP.

Looking good. When are you going to top her?

Amazing how low and horizontal Euclonia is growing...

Yeah, EuClonia is a nice experiment for me, it's fun to try that kind of training that I wouldn't have tried otherwise (than being given an un-topped clone).

I'd like to top BbPhoria soon, but I'm letting her get stronger after having a rough start.
She's due for watering, today or tomorrow. I would probably top her a day or two after watering. We'll see.

After topping, she'll grow completely differently than EuClonia, but if possible I'd like to train the two tops to go horizontal in opposite directions and keep all future stems on that plane. But once those indica-dominants loose their apical dominant top, they start making new shoots all over the place and get unruly ;-)

EuClonia is filling up. I estimate at 20 the number of tops she'll have, just by doing this supercropping.
Maybe more eventually, depending on the necessary training. I.E. If I have to top/s-crop some branches that may get too high compared to the rest.

Some tops will be pretty close to each other, they are in bunches.

201710231.jpg

The canopy is pretty flat, but some tops are a little bit burried-under. Can't do much for that until they grow a little taller while I restrict the taller ones. I just tuck-away some leaves in the hope of giving light to the lower stuff.

Like I said... I didn't like my new light rig... so I went back to suspended power-bars.

The power-bars are held on a grill, hung by 4 points, and it's pretty versatile.
It has no reflectors, but from what I experienced with the other rig, it was pretty much useless anyway.

8 lights now on EuClonia, 6 x 6500K and 2 x 2700K.

201710232.JPG

20171023b1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom