Euphoria - RQS - CFL - Soil - Second Grow

BabyP, D29

20171101.JPG

20171101b.jpg

Some leaves are "Canoing", witch would suggest heat or light stress, but otherwise she's growing real fast and strong... so I wont change anything I guess. Light are at usual hight. But the plants are on 24/0 and hae a little CO2 supplement, so it may be stress factors also.

Baby is 30 days old today.

She's pretty but small compared to my first grow (when I did flip to 12/12 after 30 days).

20171102.JPG

This is Phoria from my last grow, at day 30...

Euphoria-30.jpg

It's now clear that I'm MORE than one week behind.
Possibly the re-pot in a bigger pot 5 gal instead of 3 gal directly from solo-cup accounts for some delay.
And the PH and this and that.

In the end, what's a lost week if she turns out great. And I learned a few things not to do.

BP

I love to learn !

I'm observing my 2 plants grow... one from seed growing in a traditional way (1 topping + LST), and one clone growing horizontally after supercropping (crimping+bending).

I realize that new-growing-leaves work very little or inefficiently in terms of photosynthesis.
The sooner/faster you get BIG fan leaves, the faster the vegetative growth, it's exponential.
In my first grow, that's what happened, the first fan leaves were huge in comparison, and the plants exploded.

In the case of my clone... there are NO big fan leaves exposed to light. The few big leaves it had were buried under when I supercropped the plant.
She's growing a thousand tops... it's fun to see, and may yield a lot, but she's growing slow like a Bonsai because she only has young-still-growing leaves.

In the meanwhile, BabyPhoria is getting big fast. Once she had a good PH to work with, she started making bigger fan leaves. The first few sets (grown with PH stress) remained small. But once back on the heathy track, those big fan leaves really started to do their jobs : big solar panels for the whole plant. Boom.

Baby phoria has a main stem almost as big as EuClonia witch is possibly a month older.

I'm inpatient to see, in the end, which one will win the size/yield competition !

Some photos later...

Once Euclonia gets going vertically, she's gonna get huge! But right now Baby looks bigger.

She looks stunned, dont know why, she doesn't do much.
She elongates a little bit each top, but the leaves dont get larger it seems.
Is she making more roots to feed all those tops ?

Pfff, we'll see. Maybe she'll make a big sprint some day.

Grow room challenges...

My grow room is in the basement, adjacent to my heater room (natural gaz). It does not make that much heat in the basement, but the climate gets very DRY.

My humidifier running 24/24 was not enough anymore (As it gets colder outside the house needs more heating).

Yesterday I bought a secondary humidifier (the cheap (30$) hot steam kind).
Running the 2 humidifiers did the job... It brought the RH back in the 50's, but this morning, the little humidifier was empty already, and the RH was back at 40%.

I hope the plants get bigger and generate more humidity soon. Then again, I see a BIG difference in RH when the plants are dry vs when they were recently watered. In fact... I KNOW my plants need watering when I see a sudden drop in the room's RH.

BP

Grow room challenges...

Man... this morning, RH was down to 39%. Some leaves on BabyPhoria are showing signs of dryness.

Foliar spray would be a possibility... but my lights are on 24/24 and for foliar spraying there should be some darkness for the stomata to close, etc. I'll see... maybe be I will gradually introduce a few hours of darkness to let the plants recuperate from stresses and the foliar spraying could become possible, in the morning, just when the lights come back on.

BP

Grow room challenges...

Man... this morning, RH was down to 39%. Some leaves on BabyPhoria are showing signs of dryness.

Foliar spray would be a possibility... but my lights are on 24/24 and for foliar spraying there should be some darkness for the stomata to close, etc. I'll see... maybe be I will gradually introduce a few hours of darkness to let the plants recuperate from stresses and the foliar spraying could become possible, in the morning, just when the lights come back on.

BP

You're probably only 200 KM from me as the crow flies, so I thought I better check the RH here in my basement....38%. It's even lower (36%) in the tent. For me that's not so bad since I'm on the later side of flowering. I knew I'd run into this once the weather turned cold. That's why I started this grow right away after the last one ended in August. I've heard of some DIY methods for increasing humidity, like a t-shirt or towel hanging partly submerged in a bucket.

I suspected I'd run into some challenges, growing in the basement in winter.

That's why I wanted to grow only one plant and see how it went, as an experiment.
But then Euclonia arrived... so two plants. But it's not a bad thing, as 2 plants should create more humidity eventually.

Euclonia is still not growing like I'd like. Her soil dries more slowly than BabyPhoria... maybe she has less roots. A clone makes less roots ? Dunno.

Grow room challenges... part 3

Well, some success. This morning RH was over 50%, witch is much better than previously, under 40% (37-38).

The big fan leaves on Baby are kinda dry and are loosing their dark green color.
The leaves on Euclonia are small, thin, and dry.

Last night, for the first time, I put the lights on a timer and started a new 20/4 schedule (instead of 24/0).
That should give a little break and less stress to the plants. We'll se in a week if it makes a big difference.

Last few days I started pruning some little stems, baby tops growing on both plants. Anything that wont reach the canopy and optimal light will be cut off. Lets concentrate on growing promising tops and let go of the useless stuff.

BP

Back
Top Bottom