First Grow - Pineapple Chunk/Tangerine Dream

Hey Nick!

Love that username :winkyface:

Noticed you are also in WA, although the opposite corner, and thought I'd check out your journal. I like the setup! I'll come back and read through the other 9 pages later. At least now I'm subbed. Looking forward to see your harvest! :thumb:

Hey Nick!

Love that username :winkyface:

Noticed you are also in WA, although the opposite corner, and thought I'd check out your journal. I like the setup! I'll come back and read through the other 9 pages later. At least now I'm subbed. Looking forward to see your harvest! :thumb:

Welcome and thanks for the positive comments! +reps to another that loves the outdoors.

Just curious. Did you "super crop" after watering them of before. It has been suggested that cropping while they are thirsty is easier.

I cropped em about 24 hours after watering I think. Im not sure exactly but their soil was still deff moist. Ill keep that in mind for next time, prob makes it easier without the added water weight. Thanks for the feedback!

There was an analogy that cropping a thirsty plant was like bending a hose that didn't have water in it and cropping after watering was like trying to bend a hose with water and a closed nozzle. I think it was mcloadie that said this. I am not totally convinced this is true, but I do think about it. I personally don't have enough experience to confirm or deny its validity.

Looking good over here. Your Tangerine's look great. I see nice bright green stems and perfect leaves. You are doing everything right! Interesting supercrop info. I had always heard the opposite about that topic. I always followed the advice to do it soon after watering (within 24 hours). I stuck to this as the plants seemed to be stiffer and more brittle when drier. I snapped a few stems trying to supercrop an almost dry plant. You will have to try it and see what works best for you.

You will have a full tent when you flip. When is the date to flower?

I'm one of the folks that thought bending was best done when the plant was 'limp' or drier, but this round I'm starting to question that position. My theory was similar to the hose analogy. When the plant is dry, the cells have less turgor pressure so they can flex or bend a little. Then the plant is freshly watered, all of the cells get 'full' of water and become very turgid. When you try to bend the branch, the cells have no room to flex, so you end up rupturing the cell walls and bursting the cells. This is why I always thought bending a limp plant was less traumatic. While I still believe that, I'm starting to think it's less effective. When I bend a limp plant, it seems to 'unbend' itself quicker and more completely. If I bend a turgid plant, I get that "snap" and it seems to hold the bend better.

I'm shifting my opinion on bending as a result. I now think it's best to bend a plant while it's cells are more turgid, ie sooner after watering. My suspicion is there is an ideal time, after watering, to bend. At max turgidity, I think the chances of a catastrophic break are higher, so depending on the plant/strain/grow style, you might want to wait a short period after watering. I'll be experimenting more in my next grow, but I thought I would share my experience and thoughts on the topic.

I'm not claiming my way is the right way. Just sharing one grower's perspective. :)

Shit I almost forgot I wanted to throw up some pics of my backpacking trip! If anyone in the Vancouver/Portland area wants to get down on some awesome backpacking let me know!

Anyways check em out. Columbia River Gorge 18.5 mile hike Wahtum lake/Eagle Creek

20130705_140855.jpg

I thought Eagle Creek sounded familiar. As I looked at the pictures, I kept saying to myself, "that looks like the PCT!" :)

FYI, I thru hiked in 2011. Only made it to Donner Pass though (started at the southern terminus so ~1150 trail miles total). My wife got injured so I had to get off the trail to take care of her. :)

Osprey makes great packs too! I used an Exos on my hike. :Namaste:

i have long hair i tie up with an elastic when i work on my plants. i have a long beard as well.

I have long hair too. I usually stick my pony tail up inside my hiking hat.

Is your beard long enough that it gets in the way? I wear a goatee (not a Van Dyke or Circle Beard, ie just the chin) that I let get pretty long sometimes, but it's never long enough to get in the way. :blalol:

Originally Posted by Hiker
I'm one of the folks that thought bending was best done when the plant was 'limp' or drier, but this round I'm starting to question that position. My theory was similar to the hose analogy. When the plant is dry, the cells have less turgor pressure so they can flex or bend a little. Then the plant is freshly watered, all of the cells get 'full' of water and become very turgid. When you try to bend the branch, the cells have no room to flex, so you end up rupturing the cell walls and bursting the cells. This is why I always thought bending a limp plant was less traumatic. While I still believe that, I'm starting to think it's less effective. When I bend a limp plant, it seems to 'unbend' itself quicker and more completely. If I bend a turgid plant, I get that "snap" and it seems to hold the bend better.

I'm shifting my opinion on bending as a result. I now think it's best to bend a plant while it's cells are more turgid, ie sooner after watering. My suspicion is there is an ideal time, after watering, to bend. At max turgidity, I think the chances of a catastrophic break are higher, so depending on the plant/strain/grow style, you might want to wait a short period after watering. I'll be experimenting more in my next grow, but I thought I would share my experience and thoughts on the topic.

I'm not claiming my way is the right way. Just sharing one grower's perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not claiming my way is the right way. Just sharing one grower's perspective. :)

I thought Eagle Creek sounded familiar. As I looked at the pictures, I kept saying to myself, "that looks like the PCT!" :)

FYI, I thru hiked in 2011. Only made it to Donner Pass though (started at the southern terminus so ~1150 trail miles total). My wife got injured so I had to get off the trail to take care of her. :)

Osprey makes great packs too! I used an Exos on my hike. :Namaste:

I have long hair too. I usually stick my pony tail up inside my hiking hat.

Is your beard long enough that it gets in the way? I wear a goatee (not a Van Dyke or Circle Beard, ie just the chin) that I let get pretty long sometimes, but it's never long enough to get in the way. :blalol:

Thanks for the feedback hiker, sucks that your wife got injured on the hike =( still 1150 miles is a serious feat! I would love to do some longer hikes, but with my wife and kids its kinda tough especially since my wife does not like to hike more then 5 miles a day lol.

I love my Osprey pack its very comfortable. My beard gets in the way of eating and is only down to my upper chest. When im on the trail it gets dirty and matted up a bit without washing it out, but I still plan on growing it out for as far as I can. Since I shaved every day when I was in the military I told myself when I got out that I am going to grow it for as long as I was in so I have quite a few years of growing left :rofl:

Good weed day Backpack!

Thanks Dharma same goes to you!

Well I watered the girls last night and I'm going to throw up some pics tonight as the lights get ready to turn on. When I got back from camping one of the tangerines was pushing up against the light, I think they are done with their stretch tho and everything is starting to fill out nicely.

Do you guys recommend that I clear clear out all of the undergrowth near the base of the plant? It's not like its getting much light and makes it a pain in the ass when I water. they are on day 21 of flower.

Well I watered the girls last night and I'm going to throw up some pics tonight as the lights get ready to turn on. When I got back from camping one of the tangerines was pushing up against the light, I think they are done with their stretch tho and everything is starting to fill out nicely.

Do you guys recommend that I clear clear out all of the undergrowth near the base of the plant? It's not like its getting much light and makes it a pain in the ass when I water. they are on day 21 of flower.

Sure. You can hold your hand underneath and if there isn't any light hitting it then remove the growth. Also some people take clones at day 21 of flower.

Well guys I got a pretty big order in through amazon which will be coming in a few days. stay tuned for photos of all the grow shit I ordered. My wife wanted to go to the outlets today to do some shopping, so that gave me the excuse to stop at the hydro store.

This is what I picked up today and I am going to run it at 600w to see how the temp is, but during the winter when my garage gets really cold the 1000w setting should do fine. We will have to see how it works out

Stay tuned for some photos of my girls later this evening!
20130721_1547021.jpg

20130721_1546131.jpg
20130721_1546421.jpg
20130721_1546231.jpg

Sure. You can hold your hand underneath and if there isn't any light hitting it then remove the growth. Also some people take clones at day 21 of flower.

I think I am going to give that a shot man! I picked up a tray and dome today with a bunch of rockwool cubes. Gonna start prepping thoes cubes will update with some photos at a later date.

This is what I picked up today and I am going to run it at 600w to see how the temp is, but during the winter when my garage gets really cold the 1000w setting should do fine. We will have to see how it works out

Stay tuned for some photos of my girls later this evening!

I think I am going to give that a shot man! I picked up a tray and dome today with a bunch of rockwool cubes. Gonna start prepping thoes cubes will update with some photos at a later date.

What about the 12 hours if will be off in that cold garage. I am pretty sure you have to keep at a minimum temperature to not stunt growth.

I have taken clones at day 21. I am not positive if this is the best day to take clones or not. I just tried it because some other guy did it and said it was great.

Well, in my experience it takes a little longer to root and then as long or longer to reveg. I took 2 clones. Both rooted in 15 days. But one started showing growth another 15 days out and the 2nd one took 30 days to reveg. Its always another option in the tool box. You should try it just for the experience. :)

What about the 12 hours if will be off in that cold garage. I am pretty sure you have to keep at a minimum temperature to not stunt growth.

I have taken clones at day 21. I am not positive if this is the best day to take clones or not. I just tried it because some other guy did it and said it was great.

Well, in my experience it takes a little longer to root and then as long or longer to reveg. I took 2 clones. Both rooted in 15 days. But one started showing growth another 15 days out and the 2nd one took 30 days to reveg. Its always another option in the tool box. You should try it just for the experience. :)

I will have a space heater set up in my garage for lights off time or I can just open my door from my house to allow warm air in. I will be able to figure it out somehow.

I might mess around with it, but I was looking up preparing rockwool and I actually need to wait until my new PH meter arrives so I can prep the cubes properly. I think I am just going to pick some clones up from a dispensary and grow me a mother plant and just clone from that.

I have 2 more tents coming in the mail a veg tent and a mother tent both smaller so I can put them in my downstairs walk in closet. Trying to get it set up so I can keep a constant supply of plants for my flower tent. Just need to figure out how to juggle 15 plants without going over my medical limit.

I am sure I will figure everything out as I go! Thanks for the feedback and information I am learning new stuff everyday on this forum. :thanks:

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see what you do eons the extra tents too. Love your shelf with all your nutes and stuff. Looks like you've to quite a selection :D

Is that the soil ph kit? If so, does it work well?

Back
Top Bottom