Grandpa Tokin’s Perpetual

Hey Grandpa! Hope you're feeling better. We get intense dryness here in winter and we're in a cold snap, so my sinuses feel like sandpaper. Could use a little mucous from time to time! :D

My $0.02 on flushing...

I've always thought flushing made my buds clean and smooth, but I'm becoming convinced it's the slow dry and cure that does it. They say the "science" behind flushing is "bro science" - and that the actual science is that the chemical composition of the plant is essentially no different between a plant that has been flushed and one that hasn't. I seem to recall seeing a study by a Canadian university posted on reddit but couldn't find it on a quick search.

That said, I've also read that yield is largely unaffected in the typical flush timeline of the last 1-2 weeks, whether you feed nutes or plain water. It was in that same study.

I suspect removing nutes stresses the plant to some extent... and then you get into more "bro science", of how stressing the plant will cause it to get "greasier".

Ultimately, it sounds like real science is saying there's no need to flush... but also saying if you do, you're not really harming the plants. So I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

I went to one extreme last grow - 2+ week flushes. I think I'm going to go closer to the other extreme this time - use Florakleen a few days before harvest and go down to plain water for the last feed or two.

Hey Grandpa! Hope you're feeling better. We get intense dryness here in winter and we're in a cold snap, so my sinuses feel like sandpaper. Could use a little mucous from time to time! :D

My $0.02 on flushing...

I've always thought flushing made my buds clean and smooth, but I'm becoming convinced it's the slow dry and cure that does it. They say the "science" behind flushing is "bro science" - and that the actual science is that the chemical composition of the plant is essentially no different between a plant that has been flushed and one that hasn't. I seem to recall seeing a study by a Canadian university posted on reddit but couldn't find it on a quick search.

That said, I've also read that yield is largely unaffected in the typical flush timeline of the last 1-2 weeks, whether you feed nutes or plain water. It was in that same study.

I suspect removing nutes stresses the plant to some extent... and then you get into more "bro science", of how stressing the plant will cause it to get "greasier".

Ultimately, it sounds like real science is saying there's no need to flush... but also saying if you do, you're not really harming the plants. So I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

I went to one extreme last grow - 2+ week flushes. I think I'm going to go closer to the other extreme this time - use Florakleen a few days before harvest and go down to plain water for the last feed or two.

What @Mushie1005 said...

I appreciate your input bud. I still have all that old school bro science in my head I guess. I was always under the impression that in hydro things needed to be flushed more since it’s not organic and the nutes are a constant. Like Penny said, it all boils down to what our preferences are somewhat. I know how I like this particular weed because I’ve grown it a lot. That doesn’t mean you would prefer it that way. In reality...I’m just thankful I can grow my own. I’m thankful also for all the wonderful advice and help you guys and gals provide. Being in this forum has helped me be a better grower definitely. Thanks to each and everyone of you...

Fucking love-fest going on in here! :circle-of-love: Part of the recovery from a CABG (Cardiac Artery Bypass Graph—pronounced “cabbage”) is being emotional...it happens...

Day 48!
I love this plant! Enjoy!

The Mystery Auto is still stretching. In normal Grandpa fashion...I’ve done nothing to her...the only work I’ve done is germinate the seed and change the bucket once a week. She’s doing everything else:

The Bubblelicious, GSC, and GG4 Mom all need another haircut:

That frost is overwhelming GT.

Looking at that mystery auto makes me want to bust out a Bubblicious Auto seed that I have. I've got a spare bucket, net pot, air pump and light. Might just put one seed into some water today.

Its flush day over here today on my GG#4's. 53 days in flower and 7 days to flush should make a 60 day harvest. Trichomes are all cloudy and theres a few ambers here and there. Hoping it'll finish just right in a week from now.

Looking good GT. Loving all that frost on the GG.

Thanks! She is certainly looking good.

That frost is overwhelming GT.

Looking at that mystery auto makes me want to bust out a Bubblicious Auto seed that I have. I've got a spare bucket, net pot, air pump and light. Might just put one seed into some water today.

Its flush day over here today on my GG#4's. 53 days in flower and 7 days to flush should make a 60 day harvest. Trichomes are all cloudy and theres a few ambers here and there. Hoping it'll finish just right in a week from now.

I’ve got a bunch of Bubblelicious autos I’m going to run this summer. I may have to pick up some more autos...I like the idea of doing a single bucket in-between the two bucket system harvest. Just another way for me to stay in different meds. I scraped the building a four bucket system like yours. I just don’t have the room I need. If I were to build this all again I’d make one big room and use tents. When I started building my growing areas I didn’t know anything about dwc...or, growing weed for that matter. I was focused on stealth so nobody could tell I was growing. Then, my state woke up and allowed medical. So, I don’t need the stealthy rooms any longer legally...but I still hide my growing from everyone. I have friends who smoke weed, and know I smoke weed, but only three people besides my wife know I grow...and all you knuckle draggers of course...:ganjamon:

I’m thinking I’ll start a flush tomorrow and see what happens. I’ll try this flush stuff and see if I like it or if water does the same thing. I’ve dropped the EC gradually over the last few days and I’m still higher than I normally go. I went back and looked at my notes from a few grows ago. For some reason, I thought I was hitting her with 1.6 max, but I’ve barely been giving them over 1.0 in the past. I think my heart surgery caused some brain issues...or, I smoke a fuck-ton-o-weed...there is that.
I love that plant also.:Namaste:

I know right?

Showing your age again...

I used to have hair...

I think in the terps and cannabinoids in the final product. Growth wise it is a bad thing.

Roger that. I hope it’s not too awfully bad. Can’t be good at any rate. Oh well, not my first rodeo. I’ll make it work...I suppose I better just keep trying until I get it right. :passitleft:

I hope everyone’s weekend was enjoyable. I’m feeling a little better. Still got some sinus infection happening, but this regimen of antibiotics seems to be better...I hope so anyway. I haven’t worked out in 5 days and I need it. Going to try an upper body session tomorrow...that’s the plan anyway. I’ll play it by how I feel in the morning, but I need to sweat. I need it bad.

The auto stretched another inch last night. She’s looking okay to me. Took a few under bud shots after doing a res change to start flushing. I’m going to flush for at least a week...maybe more depending on how the trichs look. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom