Heavenly Hybrid 2nd Grow: Blackberry Kush, Coco Grow, LED450

I've still got my Candidas under a 23 watt CFL! Three weeks today:
Lovely young ladies there Shed! They are looking great. My mistake, my buddy has a CMH light. I believe they run really hot and he didn’t have a fan going or anything in his tent. He still has three going and now they’re under CFLs. So let’s talk lights for a second. I read that for LEDs, plants need 75w per plant. Would you think that applies to just seedlings? Or would that be more for it’s entire life cycle?

No simple answer to that because there is a big varience in efficiency between the various led types. 75w of QBs or cobs put out quite a bit more light than 75w of the old red/blue chips. 75w seems low for flowering though.
I have two red/blue leds at 270w each trying to cover 4 plants in a 4x4 and the corners of the tent aren't getting as much light as I would like.

No simple answer to that because there is a big varience in efficiency between the various led types. 75w of QBs or cobs put out quite a bit more light than 75w of the old red/blue chips. 75w seems low for flowering though.
I have two red/blue leds at 270w each trying to cover 4 plants in a 4x4 and the corners of the tent aren't getting as much light as I would like.
That makes sense, I bought a cheap 75w blue and red LED and I got really worried after I read that. Ended up putting them under my regular light just to be safe. I was just wondering about that 23w CFL Shed was using, it seems like they’re doing well and that’s what I was hoping to achieve with my small LED before busting out my bigger light. Seems like such a waste. I know CFLs and LEDs are totally different, but the 23w made me curious.

I read that for LEDs, plants need 75w per plant.
No simple answer to that because there is a big varience in efficiency between the various led types
Wattage is just the power draw from the wall, so just as SF said that isn't a way to gauge plant lighting. Ideally, you have a meter that reads PPFD or at least lux (much less expensive but better than going by watts).

Just for example, my 23 watt CFL is considered a 100 watt equivalent based on lumens of output (keeping in mind the we try not to gauge plant lighting in lumens). If I went by watts, the CFL and the incandescent bulb in the fridge should be equally as good at growing plants, but it just ain't so!

Wattage is just the power draw from the wall, so just as SF said that isn't a way to gauge plant lighting. Ideally, you have a meter that reads PPFD or at least lux (much less expensive but better than going by watts).

Just for example, my 23 watt CFL is considered a 100 watt equivalent based on lumens of output (keeping in mind the we try not to gauge plant lighting in lumens). If I went by watts, the CFL and the incandescent bulb in the fridge should be equally as good at growing plants, but it just ain't so!
No wonder I’m so confused about it. Guess I need to do some studying up on all this. It’s all Greek to me. I read, reread, think about it, read it again, about 10% gets through... :oops:

No wonder I’m so confused about it. Guess I need to do some studying up on all this. It’s all Greek to me. I read, reread, think about it, read it again, about 10% gets through... :oops:
The easiest way to think about it is in terms of brightness and efficiency. In the old days, light was created by running current through the filament in your light bulb. It worked but it created a lot of heat. So some of the electricity went to light and some went to heat.

As technology improved they began to get more light from the electricity and less heat, making them more efficient. Because we don't want to waste electricity producing heat. LEDs create light with very little heat, making them very efficient.

Then they started adding reflectors behind them in an attempt to increase the brightness without using more electricity, like the reflector on a desk lamp makes more light go on your desk and less into the room.

And finally, many companies began to change the spectrum of the light so it was "plant friendly" for growing, but looks purple to our non-plant eyes.

The easiest way to think about it is in terms of brightness and efficiency. In the old days, light was created by running current through the filament in your light bulb. It worked but it created a lot of heat. So some of the electricity went to light and some went to heat.

As technology improved they began to get more light from the electricity and less heat, making them more efficient. Because we don't want to waste electricity producing heat. LEDs create light with very little heat, making them very efficient.

Then they started adding reflectors behind them in an attempt to increase the brightness without using more electricity, like the reflector on a desk lamp makes more light go on your desk and less into the room.

And finally, many companies began to change the spectrum of the light so it was "plant friendly" for growing, but looks purple to our non-plant eyes.
Thank you for the breakdown Shed, that was very understandable. :high-five: Appreciate it :thanks:

Hi Heavenly Hybrid, I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to welcome you and support you from afar. I use the GO brand as well. Did you get their feeding schedule online? Looks like you're doing a great job and getting acclimated. :)
Hello Lady! I’d love to have you here and pop in! :) I follow you on ig. You know, I did have a feeding schedule printed out at one time, but I realized it was about the same as the light dosage on the bottles, so I ended up just tossing it. It was also kind of confusing because it said to use the diamond black at the end of the grow and the bottle said to use throughout. So I said forget it and haven’t used that one yet. Thanks for the support LG2HM :green_heart: glad to have you in my lil ol tent!

A little action in the tent today - update day 18 from sprout it was shave day today! All three girls are now showing some leg, nodes 1 and 2 worth (plus cotyledon, but who counts those?) in preparation for the quad-lines. This should divert the energy to new growth at the top rather than plumping nodes 1 and 2. I just used my fingernails to gently bring the leaf and nodes down horizontally and then pinch right at the stem.
And now, pictures or it didn’t happen:

All three girls (P3) before/after
BA062202-60E3-4B8A-84A9-ED6871101BE5.jpeg
0CEE7FC1-E849-441B-8711-2CCEF08D1528.jpeg

Piper before/after
AE82FEF2-00EF-4C12-81DD-874D2AB2487D.jpeg6453381F-037B-4BA3-9CDD-FCCBB53E1F53.jpeg

Phoebe before/after
134C3D53-BCAE-4B88-95EB-5D43275193A3.jpegA71C8493-6F11-4B42-9F0A-76FDB3E7B134.jpeg

And Paige before/after
CF386CB5-10AF-4A04-B113-6EF536ED730A.jpeg73220966-D89C-4FCD-A812-6EED9F0C0B9A.jpeg

I made sure I fed them first, so they should have what they need for a (hopefully) quick recovery. I’m a little worried about #3 (Paige), just because she’s smallest.

Triquetra
5A4C0F16-B07D-4420-A707-723717849112.jpeg

Nice and clean! What's on the training agenda?
Lol, oops. I just updated to include a little info on that, but the full agenda will be shave day (today), recovery for a couple days, then topping, recovery for a couple days, then up potting. Their final pot size will be 3 gal pots. I’m debating just putting them right into the 3 gal, because I’m afraid of up potting.

I'd wait until I see roots growing out of the bottom and then wait another week. The more roots the easier it is to slide the entire rootball out in one piece with no stress at all!
Ok, thank you Shed! That’s good advice :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom