Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Hi ... I'm glad I ran into this thread!

I am just finishing up my very first grow.

In the beginning I started with one tent and autoflowers. Well I thought they were autoflowers :)

It turns out they were photoperiods ... and now I have two tents and my interest in photoperiods is quickly accelerating!

I will finish reading your journal tomorrow ...

ttyl

Welcome to my journal!

420 Mag is definitely an awesome place to showcase your grows and share them with like minded people. I started my very first grow about 7 years ago here at 420 magazine and love the forums! Its a great way to document my grows too, and come back later for reference, which I have done quite a few times.

I've only run photoperiods, so I don't really know much about autos. I prefer to control my photoperiods so that I can tell the plants when to flower which helps with project management, especially when breeding or working with many different strains at one time. I find it helpful for being able to grow indica's big, and force flower when they reach a height that favors my space and grow style :)

I'm happy that you found my journal and hopefully there is a lot of information for you to enjoy :) I try to update about 1x every 1-2 weeks but sometimes post more frequently too.

Feel free to particpate or ask any questions you like! Welcome!

I have avoided running any Cookies or OG strains because they seem so in your face everywhere you go. Having said that, I have decided recently that my propensity to buck "the in thing" isn't always a good thing and will be at least growing a few of them out to compare to other stuff.

Excited to see you work with that Apollo 13. I love Jack Herer (just started two from Seedsman) and am very curious to see what you do with it! :popcorn::high-five:

I ran cookies for a few grows.. pretty much right when it hit the market and although the buds were dense, strong and frosty, I found it to be a very odd plant that was temperamental and it hated being topped. It seemed that if I topped it more than 2x in a cycle, it would lose direction of 'UP' and grow like a vine... I think it may be the GDP in the cookies doing that, as my GDP is very similar and doesn't like to be topped. Overall it was a great strain with very little trimming needed and super frosty buds, but got tired of the sort of bland flavor.

OG is actually a really nice strain to grow. I currently have 2 versions of OG kush (private reserve and skywalker) in my tent as they represent that true, lanky, tall, rock hard dense OG kush that everyone really became used to when it hit the scene. The Private Reserve OG is very finicky and does not like wet soil, or heavy nutrients where the Skywalker represents the traits of the true OG kush where its stretchy, loves nutrients and thrives pretty much all the time with nice hearty yields to showcase. I mostly have them for preservation as I found some really good clones and have kept them going now for at least 3-4 years, although I'm kind of bored of the flavor of them...LOL I'm more into the terpy, fruity and unique tasting strains of yesteryear as of lately, and it seems that a majority of local dispensaries carry like 80% cookies varieties or og kushes.. so its nice to have some good sativa's and hybrids too :)

I haven't had Jack Herer in a long time, so really looking forward to having the Apollo 13 in my garden... also very curious what this Bangi Haze will be like :)

I guess I am more of a terp fan of lately and am seeking those rarities :)

Real Quick update:

Within 24 hours and less, all 8 of 8 Apollo 13 seeds cracked using the water germination technique.

For those that may be curious, this technique I was told from ex forum member Curso, and works extremely well.

I take the seeds, fill up a double shotglass of filtered R/O water and drop the seeds in. I then place the shotglass on a warm surface (Ive used my wall heater before, and this time I used my gas range oven where the pilot light is). Generally within less than 24 hours, the seeds will crack open. (this time it was about 14 hours later for most).

Once the seeds crack and I see the tiny white taproot barely coming out of the shell, I fill up a pot of fresh soil and make sure its loosely packed leaving lots of room for oxygen. I never pack the soil down. Then I use my pinky finger and push it into the center of the soil, until the surface of the soil reaches my 1st knuckle joint or roughly about 1/2 inch.

I then sprinkle some type of mycos powder into the hole. Right now I am using some leftover powder I won here at 420 mag a few years ago, but have used many different kinds of mycos powder. Mainly you want to make sure there is enough for the roots to touch it when they grow, but not too much were it cakes up and becomes thick.

I then carefully remove the seed from the shotglass, being extremely careful not to crush or disturb the taproot and gently let it fall into the hole in the soil. I will lightly brush soil over the hole to cover it, and then will use my R/O water hose to slowly wet the soil, making sure to cover the entire top of the soil and get a good amount of water into the soil.

I then place the pots into my grow tent, under the light and wait.. Usually within a week I will see the seedlings poke through the soil and get their first full dose of light. I will not water the soil again at all, until the pot has completely dried and about 3-4 weeks into the grow the plant has built a firm rootbase and a couple leaves.

So far I have had amazing success with this method, much faster and better success rate for me than the wet paper towel method. (to each their own of course, this is what works for me). Anyhow...

All 8 of 8 apollo 13 seeds are now in soil, and I am awaiting to see them sprout! One of the seeds I did have to help crack slightly by using a knife, but it should still germinate fine.

Thanks all! have a great day/night!

UPDATE TIME!!!!! BANGI HAZE F9 SEED PROJECT!!

Day 1 of flowering!!!! YEP, I said it..... Day 1 flowering!!!! Woooo Hoooo!!!

So, that day has come, when my Bangi Haze F9's are entering flowering and I am super excited about this project! All of my clones of my "mother" strains have rooted and are currently in soil so that was the indicator to flip my Bangi Haze project over to 12/12 lighting and get the show on the road!

A couple of days ago I was watering the girls and noticed one of the plants had a few "spots" on the leaves which looked like crusty white waterdrops.... Well having seen this before, I knew exactly what this was.....THRIPS! They were hardly a problem as I only noticed them on a single leaf of 1 plant and a single leaf of another, but I wasn't going to take chances. I put together the "end all" thrip mix into my spray bottle which consisted of neem oil, some SNS 209 and some spinosad. (yes I know spinosad is technically not allowed in some legal cannabis programs) but I have yet to find a single reason why, and have seen zero evidence of spinosad having any ill effect, the SDS sheets are virtually clean, and the stuff works well... so I used it. *** I also won't be smoking any of this project anyhow, and spinosad is a natural product, OMRI registered for food crops up to the day of harvest, therefore in a rick analysis, the risk is super low. Anyhow just yesterday I followed up with a repeat application of the 3 part mix, and this should be more than enough to rid the issue from the garden, but I will keep a close eye just in case.

Other than that, all of the plants are looking super healthy with the exception of my Ogiesel, which has been unhappy since I put it in the reused soil. I have flushed it numerous times, and it will look good for a week or 2 and then goes back to having issues therefore I think the soil has too high of an EC for the ogiesel to be comfortable. Oh well, I cloned it and the clones are going in fresh soil so for future projects it will be fine, for this one, I hope to get a few seeds out of it. Other than that, all the other plants are flawless looking, green leaves, hardly any burned tips and nice posture!

So now the waiting process begins to see what sex the bangi haze are... and I hope to get at least 2 males, however just 1 is all I really need, 2 or more just adds to the diversity possible in the future seeds.

I am really impressed so far with the bangi haze. For being F9, the plants are almost identical with slight differences in the leave structure, thickness and slightly different growth traits, but overall I would say they are much more close to being the same, than the differences between phenos. This is nice to know! They really stink upon a stem rub and although stem rubs don't do much in terms of terp profile, they do give me an indication of how strong the terps will be, and I have to say, these babies stink!!!!!

Well not much else to report other than, how about some photos......These are all pics of the garden, and the girls on day 1 of flowering after their 1st long 12 hour night.

Full Garden:::

Bangi Haze F9:::

Looks great, Brother! :welldone:

Doing a Bangi up job! :rofl:

Love the witty humor!!!! ahahahaha!!! !good one! This one is going to be fun to name too... too bad I didn't do a bangi haze x deep chunk.... LMAO!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, that or the Monkey Balls! :rofl:

Hahahah!!! Right?!!!! I do have some Monkey Balls Pollen. I don't know how I would introduce it though without chancing it spreading everywhere...

Plants are looking good as always Mud! At what ratios do you mix the 3 components together for your thrip mix?

Pour some, pour the next and then pour the other... LOL.... Its a 32 oz spraybottle so I fill it about 80% with R/O water. For the spinosad I use "captain jacks deadbug" and I didn't measure it, but probably estimate I put about 20-30ml into the bottle. The SNS i did measure and only used 5ml. The neem oil I did not measure but poured approximately 20-30ml max. I shook it up really well and soaked the plants from the topside and then from a lower angle to try to hit the bottoms where the thrips hang out.

Spinosad you also can use systemically so I also put about 30ml into my last feeding (5 gallon).

Thanks for the compliments!

Pour some, pour the next and then pour the other... LOL.... Its a 32 oz spraybottle so I fill it about 80% with R/O water. For the spinosad I use "captain jacks deadbug" and I didn't measure it, but probably estimate I put about 20-30ml into the bottle. The SNS i did measure and only used 5ml. The neem oil I did not measure but poured approximately 20-30ml max. I shook it up really well and soaked the plants from the topside and then from a lower angle to try to hit the bottoms where the thrips hang out.

Spinosad you also can use systemically so I also put about 30ml into my last feeding (5 gallon).

Thanks for the compliments!
Thanks man! I need to work on killing thrips as well. And gnats. Bugs are such a pain i the ass.

Thanks man! I need to work on killing thrips as well. And gnats. Bugs are such a pain i the ass.

Gnats are really easy (at least I have found).

you need 2 things for gnats... Yellow sticky cards, and mosquito dunks.

Take the Yellow sticky cards (the ones that fold in half) and tear them in half so you get 2x as many. Place a yellow sticky card directly laying on the soil or leaning on the stalk of the plant. The adults love these things and stick to them which kills the adults. Place a couple yellow sticky cards hanging in your lower canopy in the shady areas. It seems the gnats don't like the light and stay in the shade.

Then, for the larvae..... Take the round mosquito dunk, and break off 1/2 or 1/4 of one, and break it up into your next watering. I generally use 1/4 dunk to 1/2 dunk per 5 gallon bucket. Rub the dunk between your fingers to break it up into tiny particles and let them just float around in your water bucket for an hour or 2 before you feed. Then just feed the plants as normal. Do this for the next 2-3 feedings or for the course of about 1 month. (gnats have a 30 day life cycle).

This process has worked flawless for me a number of times (generally when I buy new soil and specficially with happy frog and ocean forest).

Now when i buy new soil, my first watering (unless it is seedlings) always has about 1/4 dunk in it for preventative measures, whether I see them or not.

Try the 2 part approach above for gnats... it focuses on both the adults and larvae and works well. A bad gnat infestation may take slightly more dunks but they work well.

Hey Everyone... just a really quick update.

The bangi haze project is now in flowering and on Day 8 of flowering. So far it looks like out of the 7 bangi haze, 4 are definitely male, 1 is definitely female and the other 2 look to be female, but still really not showing balls or pistils so hard to tell.

I'm actually pretty surprised to find so many males this run, generally I have more females than males from all of the seed projects I have done, so its interesting to see this one being different.

The broadleafed pheno is a male, which I like because it will spread more variety to the others, although they are F9's so they have been worked quite a few generations, there still is some variety and having a broadleaf male to add to the picture will be awesome.

I haven't decided if I am going to keep all 4 males, but I may, just because it will offer more potential in the offspring/progeny.

None of the plants have really shown first flower yet, but anyday they should all pop as generally right around day 12-14 is when flowering seems to be in full effect for must strains.

On a stem rub, the bangi haze is extremely potent smelling, and pretty putrid. Kind of a mix of baby poo, lemon and vomit so pretty offensive smell from the stem rub. I just hope that turns to a little more of a favorable palet come later flowering... or not.. lol Who doesn't want some baby poo smelling buds...LOL.

Quick update...

For the bangi haze, out of 7 phenos, 3 are female and 4 are males. I will probably keep all 4 males so there is slightly more variety in the offspring. 3 of the males look identical, but have slightly different terp profiles on a stem rub, where some of them have the offensive baby poo smell, where 1 has a more tropical fruit lemon smell, and they all vary in strength of terpenes.

The females are all pretty much identical in smell and in looks/size.

I'm excited to see how this project turns out....

I almost killed the entire tent the other day on accident. I was moving around some things near my power cords and accidentally hit the fan speed controller dial, which turned off the extraction fan completely. YIKES!!! I walked into the room a couple hours later and it was extremely hot in the room and smelled like cannabis a ton, which was odd because I just bought a new carbon scrubber..... needless to say I opened the tent and it was like a sauna in there, at 106F !!!!!! I immediately opened the tent and put a fan on the girls to cool them off. Luckily I just had watered them so they had plenty of water to cool them down, but this could have been a total disaster if I didn't catch it... whew... lucky!!!!

I almost killed the entire tent the other day on accident. I was moving around some things near my power cords and accidentally hit the fan speed controller dial, which turned off the extraction fan completely. YIKES!!! I walked into the room a couple hours later and it was extremely hot in the room and smelled like cannabis a ton, which was odd because I just bought a new carbon scrubber..... needless to say I opened the tent and it was like a sauna in there, at 106F !!!!!! I immediately opened the tent and put a fan on the girls to cool them off. Luckily I just had watered them so they had plenty of water to cool them down, but this could have been a total disaster if I didn't catch it... whew... lucky!!!!

LOL, nice timing! I did that once and tripped the heat protection on half of my drivers - opened the room, wave of heat, dark panels ... o_O

But, as soon as the cool air hit the room, one of the drivers relit ... the other one came on within minutes ... nothing wilted ... whew!

:high-five:

Gnats are really easy (at least I have found).

you need 2 things for gnats... Yellow sticky cards, and mosquito dunks.

Take the Yellow sticky cards (the ones that fold in half) and tear them in half so you get 2x as many. Place a yellow sticky card directly laying on the soil or leaning on the stalk of the plant. The adults love these things and stick to them which kills the adults. Place a couple yellow sticky cards hanging in your lower canopy in the shady areas. It seems the gnats don't like the light and stay in the shade.

Then, for the larvae..... Take the round mosquito dunk, and break off 1/2 or 1/4 of one, and break it up into your next watering. I generally use 1/4 dunk to 1/2 dunk per 5 gallon bucket. Rub the dunk between your fingers to break it up into tiny particles and let them just float around in your water bucket for an hour or 2 before you feed. Then just feed the plants as normal. Do this for the next 2-3 feedings or for the course of about 1 month. (gnats have a 30 day life cycle).

This process has worked flawless for me a number of times (generally when I buy new soil and specficially with happy frog and ocean forest).

Now when i buy new soil, my first watering (unless it is seedlings) always has about 1/4 dunk in it for preventative measures, whether I see them or not.

Try the 2 part approach above for gnats... it focuses on both the adults and larvae and works well. A bad gnat infestation may take slightly more dunks but they work well.

I have been doing something similar but probably not as methodical as I need to. I appreciate the break down. I need to get back on it. This and your thrip info should be a huge help! :thanks:

They also have a thing called mosquito bits which work the same way but in very small portions. I have had great success with the mosquito bits dealing with fungus gnats. Just make it a regular part of your grows IPM and they can never gain a strong hold.

Back
Top Bottom