InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

A rare Saturday update from sunny and warm Southern California! It was time to jar the Purple Urkle today and close out the summer grow, so let's get a look at how it went.

I weighed the flowers last Sunday because they were at 62% in the bags, and I'm glad I did because they've only gotten dryer since then!

That's 300g or 10.58 ounces, which works out to 1.72g/day. It probably ran a week long but it was only an ounce lighter than the Trainwreck so I'm happy with that.

Let's see them in the jars:

I've run out of storage space so these are now on the floor of my wife's closet. :)

Speaking of running out of storage, I was two jars short for this harvest, so I started digging through the older jars to see if I could combine a couple and free some up. I found two partial jars of Durban Poison that no one is particularly fond of:

They were both about this full:

So I went to combine them when I notice the other jar did not have a Boveda62 in it, but it did have this:

Mold! Down the garbage disposal it went. I must have stolen the Boveda from that jar at some point to use for a new harvest and forgot to replace it. Lesson learned. :nerd-with-glasses:

Well that wraps up the summer grow and all the harvests for 2022. I'll either drop seeds or sort out the Candida seed-making around Thanksgiving, but I'll be posting whatever else is going on here cannabis-wise in the meantime so stick around for that, and :thanks: as always for stopping by to visit.

Quotes:
I’m back down on the river watching college football
Nice! I just watched Ohio State beat Penn State (boooo) but I'm hoping Michigan comes out on top later today. I only watch after they're recorded because I have to skip the commercials. I can't commit to 3 hours at a clip in front of the TV!
drinking beer flushing for a doc’s appointment Monday
Excellent idea (since you only rent beer anyway) and :goodluck: at the doctor's.
If everyone could see my bookmarks which I just added another from you to help everyone and already passed it on .
:Namaste:
I’ve been farming sunup to Sun down through the drought
Sounds like farming! I do hope the harvest was still profitable...
then the flooding rains tore it apart plus destroyed the house (which is a new house now) and then resently Covid . I don’t wish farming on no one because I’m not cut out for it pay me by the hour and clock out and go home .
Damn what a tough year it has been for you. One bright side is the amazing harvests you pull from your spectacular grows.
I put pics HERE to see the difference.
Ahh, no wonder I missed them...I don't sub that thread. Post them in yours where I do subscribe! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Looks like TCU is on top of WV .
I would always root for a Horned Frog over a Mountaineer. :thumb:
I’ll be catching up soon and get to grow with everyone.
I think I safely speak for everyone when I say we always appreciate you being around.
If you find a strain that tastes like bacon....I'd be all over that!!
If I get a strain that tastes like bacon I'll go back to smoking again. ;)

Congrats. on your outdoor harvest this year Shed. Great job as always!:bravo:

Per my previous conversation with @Jon about drying, here's an update on the conditions in the tent:

I did turn off the exhaust on Tuesday morning and the RH shot up to 80% :eek: so I went back to the way it was when I first hung them.

No matter how fast the fans blow, you cannot overdry your harvest if the RH is over 62%. You might be driving off some super-volatile terpenes (that are probably gone after 3 weeks of air exposure anyway), but even me blowing 63% air directly at the bud can only bring it down to 63%.

And just for another angle, here they all are today, a little smaller than they were on Sunday:

Quotes:

In case anyone wants to see my work:
1665082334275.png

That's all I track.

Great deal! I think mine were closer to $10 each.
So jealous of your drying setup/reality. I can’t achieve that here now. Too dry. So I’m forced to lose a day on the dry due to having to dry at 58% (indoor humidity). It sucks. I have to watch like a hawk. What you have there is sheer perfection although my personal preference would be 60 degrees temp. I like it cold. Hard to actually achieve 60/65 (my perfect world) anywhere for me. One day I will have a dedicated drying room. Nice job, excellent info.

Saturday night update on the Trainwreck harvest process. It's been a week since the chop and I'll need the tent tomorrow for the Purple Urkle so it was time to cut it off the stems.

Here was the RH in the tent the last 24 hours, so I'm pretty sure that's where the buds are:

I cut each bud off each bit of stem, and the whole process took me over an hour. Here is the first bag I filled:

Here are all the stems:

I actually did put them in the salve bins.

Do I have bags of Trainwreck? Yes sir yes sir three bags full:

I put a hygrometer facing out at the bottom of each bag as well as a label with "TW" and the date on it, and sealed them up for the night:

I put them in a drawer to keep them in the dark, and tomorrow is burp day one!

I got the bivalent Covid vaccine yesterday and it kicked my ass last night. I'm a bit better today but not quite 100% yet. Maybe tomorrow for harvest day?

Quotes:

There was a chance I was going to NY at the end of October so I didn't drop any new seeds for Fall, and the trip might still be a possibility. Either way I have the Candida clones hanging around as I always do, and if it turns out I'm not going I'll use them to make seeds. :thumb:

Yes, tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by Grandpa. :ciao:

Me too! Those will be up on Monday.

Thanks Otter!

LOL! Do I still have EPS if there are five Candida plants at my left elbow?
Thanks for such detailed sharing of this all important process.

Monday harvest update and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian visitors! I took the Purple Urkle down yesterday on flip day 76 (174 days above ground). From ApeOrigin, PU is listed as a mostly indica variety and a phenotype of the Mendocino Purps. Not a lot of further details on it though.

76 days was probably a week too late but I can't do two in a weekend anymore and Trainwreck was the more important of the two, so it got priority. PU's leaves were mostly dead and a lot of the sugars were as well, which you'll see in the pics. This was the plant with the root aphids (which may have come back...I'll do a rootopsy on both pots this week) as well as suffering through a week of temps in the mid-90s and up, which didn't help it stay green.

Here it was on Friday before I took off the fans:

And here are the fans that came off Friday and Saturday:

Untied and floppy and seriously ready for harvest:

Bones-oh:

I already posted the whole harvest process last week so I'll skip that part...

Not an easy trim this one, and my daughter bailed about halfway in to go to a movie! We tried to take off as much of the brown as possible but I didn't want to spend the whole night on it, so here are the finished buds ready for transfer into the tent for drying:

And here they all are hanging:

I obviously failed during the post-stretch trim on this one because of huge number of small branches and buds. :eek: I will try to do better next time I promise.

Trainwreck continues to get burped twice a day and I'll do an update on that this week.

Thanks for following along with the Summer grow! I'll keep posting updates on it until they go into jars for curing, but after that I'm just down to my Candida collection. Still not sure on the NY travel plans since my wife needs to go to London on a family matter in the next month, so my plant plans are up in the air. We'll see...

Quote:

Congrats on the move! I hope all the adventures end on a positive note. :)
Any particular reason you seem to hang the bigger colas at the bottom and the small buds up top?

Since the bags were burped in 50% ambient RH last night, I got the Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express down to 62% in the bags, so the Friday update is the final weight:

That's 329g or 11.6 ounces, which works out to 1.97g/day, and that puts it in my top 5 in terms of production!

Tomorrow they get sealed in jars with hygrometers and Boveda 62s, and three weeks later I'll toss some in the grinder so I can get some feedback from the smokers in the house. Stay tuned... :slide:

Quotes:

Thanks Tim!

Glad to pass on more of the knowledge I've received here along the way. :high-five:

IKR? I've seen folks do it and wish they would have asked first if there was a different way. Thanks sb!

Thank you GDB, and does nose flute count?

Oh cool...now we have an entire orchestra section! 👃 👃
Congratulations!!!!!! That looks delicious!!!!!

A rare Saturday update from sunny and warm Southern California! It was time to jar the Purple Urkle today and close out the summer grow, so let's get a look at how it went.

I weighed the flowers last Sunday because they were at 62% in the bags, and I'm glad I did because they've only gotten dryer since then!

That's 300g or 10.58 ounces, which works out to 1.72g/day. It probably ran a week long but it was only an ounce lighter than the Trainwreck so I'm happy with that.

I've run out of storage space so these are now on the floor of my wife's closet. :)

Speaking of running out of storage, I was two jars short for this harvest, so I started digging through the older jars to see if I could combine a couple and free some up. I found two partial jars of Durban Poison that no one is particularly fond of:

So I went to combine them when I notice the other jar did not have a Boveda62 in it, but it did have this:

Mold! Down the garbage disposal it went. I must have stolen the Boveda from that jar at some point to use for a new harvest and forgot to replace it. Lesson learned. :nerd-with-glasses:

Well that wraps up the summer grow and all the harvests for 2022. I'll either drop seeds or sort out the Candida seed-making around Thanksgiving, but I'll be posting whatever else is going on here cannabis-wise in the meantime so stick around for that, and :thanks: as always for stopping by to visit.

Quotes:

Nice! I just watched Ohio State beat Penn State (boooo) but I'm hoping Michigan comes out on top later today. I only watch after they're recorded because I have to skip the commercials. I can't commit to 3 hours at a clip in front of the TV!

Excellent idea (since you only rent beer anyway) and :goodluck: at the doctor's.

Damn what a tough year it has been for you. One bright side is the amazing harvests you pull from your spectacular grows.

Ahh, no wonder I missed them...I don't sub that thread. Post them in yours where I do subscribe! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I think I safely speak for everyone when I say we always appreciate you being around.

I hate mold. Be thankful you don’t use the Infinity jars. There are definitely advantages to regular clear mason jars. You can’t see through Infinity jars. I misplace packs constantly. Lol.

So jealous of your drying setup/reality. I can’t achieve that here now. Too dry. So I’m forced to lose a day on the dry due to having to dry at 58% (indoor humidity). It sucks. I have to watch like a hawk. What you have there is sheer perfection although my personal preference would be 60 degrees temp. I like it cold. Hard to actually achieve 60/65 (my perfect world) anywhere for me. One day I will have a dedicated drying room. Nice job, excellent info.
Thanks Jon! Sometimes I get lucky with the weather and sometimes I don't. Either way I don't care about temperature since RH is relative to temps. I'm good with 60% RH whether the temperature is 55° or 75°.
Thanks for such detailed sharing of this all important process.
Glad to help where I can!
Any particular reason you seem to hang the bigger colas at the bottom and the small buds up top?
The exhaust fan pulls from the open bottom vents so I wanted the biggest flowers where they'd get the most airflow.
Congratulations!!!!!! That looks delicious!!!!!
Thanks! The crew is liking that Trainwreck, even uncured as it is. Thank you @Weed Seeds Express.:thumb:
I hate mold. Be thankful you don’t use the Infinity jars. There are definitely advantages to regular clear mason jars. You can’t see through Infinity jars. I misplace packs constantly. Lol.
I don't even know what an infinity jar is, but I know it sounds more expensive than a regular jar. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Glad you're caught up. :ciao:

Quotes:

Mmmm Bacon, sounds good rite about now and make mine a B.L.T. please. lol CL🍀

Congrats again on the harvest!

I don't trust those cheap digital hygrometers anymore. After all the issues with my last grow I've been doing a lot of testing of them. I've found Govee makes fairly accurate ones, but all of my little ones like in your pic are basically toys. So if you have a brand that works well at a reasonable price I'd be very interested. I use my Govee for calibrating my DHT11 and DHT22 sensors for my arduinos. After calibration they seem to be doing fine.

Nobody likes the Duban Poison? That's one of the Mrs. favorite strains Too bad you can't send those buds my way 🤔

:peace:

I don't trust those cheap digital hygrometers anymore. After all the issues with my last grow I've been doing a lot of testing of them. I've found Govee makes fairly accurate ones, but all of my little ones like in your pic are basically toys. So if you have a brand that works well at a reasonable price I'd be very interested. I use my Govee for calibrating my DHT11 and DHT22 sensors for my arduinos. After calibration they seem to be doing fine.

Nobody likes the Duban Poison? That's one of the Mrs. favorite strains Too bad you can't send those buds my way 🤔

Shed has a great way to test them with wet salt but I can’t remember it now. CL🍀

Congrats on another great summer grow, Shed!
I finally got done refurbishing my mom's house, so I should be able to pay closer attention around here now...man, I'm glad that's over and done with-those 10 hour days got real old, real fast...
I saw awhile back that you're headed to NY pretty soon- safe travels, Shed, I hope things go well for you in the big apple!
When are you going?

Quotes:

Whoa!
Thats some funky looking mold. Is that common in old jars? I've got a jar left from 2020 that I'm not sure if it is any good. Don't see any mold but it turned brownish and does not smell great.

If you find a strain that tastes like bacon....I'd be all over that!!
It's only a matter of time Tim!

I went to govee for some of the process. In the tent they're handy. Being able to see vpd without the chart is a real luxury!

Back
Top Bottom