Kingston's Perpetual Grow & Juice Bar - LED - 11 Strains

Looking forward to reading this one, Kingston. Never heard of a grow for juice before. I like to juice myself so will definitely take a lot from this thread. Thanks

Thanks for dropping by.

I've changed my treatment plan a little since I started. It turned out juicing wasn't very effective at extracting cannbinoids, so now I mostly make CCO. I still juice fan leaves and males when they show up, but have had many to juice recently. With new grow in DBHBB soil I expect to avoid problems in last grow that dried up my fan leaves for juicing.

Brix New World Update

The specs on my grow have changed quite a bit this month. The brix kit soil is done cooking. I saw it eating a dead leaf yesterday so it's very much alive. I will be following the instructions as closely as possible on this grow. That means I'll be using 5 gal pots instead of 2 gal, but still using scrog. I also have plants growing in same base soil but without kit amendments. I'm interested to see how much difference the kit makes.

I have 7 seedlings and 6 clones in the brix soil, plus HB10.
The clones are one of each strain that I'm continuing from original batch: White Widow 2 (compact pheno), White Widow 3 (tall pheno), Hash Bomb 2 (sativa pheno), Hash Bomb 8 (indica pheno), Black Cherry Soda, Critical. Each is in 2 gal smart pot except HB2 in 6 gal.
The seedlings are 4 new strains started in 4 inch pots of plain soil and potted up to 1 gal brix soil with Roots! and Transplant last week. Earlier this week I gave them a spray of Destress and today Brix spray.

K-Train (left) and Blue Mystic are indica strains to balance the sativa dominant mix I have now. I topped both tonight above the 6th node. KT has leaf curl on edge of some leaves. New leaves are normal so I won't worry about it. Happy to see how much she's branching already. BM is just starting to branch.
20161110_224533.jpg

20161110_224605.jpg

20161110_224656.jpg

Medical Mass is 1:1 CBD indica dominant strain. 2 of 3 seeds sprouted. MdM2 was late start. MdM3 was topped about 5th node. Again a funky leaf down low, but new growth is normal.
20161110_225032.jpg
20161110_225053.jpg

Dance World is 1:1 CBD sativa dominant strain. 4 seeds sprouted but #1 has 3 seed leaves and still no true leaves, so a fail. DW3 and DW4 were each topped tonight. DW4 has one funky leaf with yellowing. DW2 is struggling with similar funky yellowing leaf and necrotic leaves. Hoping it's due to spraying too early because she's so far behind others.
20161110_225241.jpg

20161110_225248.jpg

20161110_225251.jpg

This is the reason I'm switching to high brix growing. Doesn't matter which pot I choose, they all have fat roots showing at the drain holes. I posted pics last week of hair thin roots of plants grown in same soil but without the kit amendments. Difference couldn't be more clear.
20161110_225548.jpg

And here is one of HB2 clones just potted up from plain 1 gal to 2 gal brix soil. She started to flower outside and is revegging. Topped her as well tonight. Amazing how much more on top of things I feel with this grow. Of course I learned a lot from 1st grows, but also having fewer plants means I can check all of them each day. Also makes it easier to stick to schedule because I can get to every plant that needs attention, so far. We'll see how well I do when it's time for next drench. :Namaste:
20161110_225741.jpg

Outdoor was fun too. It was the moving back and forth that got me off track. I've been having more fun inside since I've gotten a proper work station set up like I had outside (only smaller.) Switching to high brix soil has helped me get all the parts of my grow back in line. Kind of like your going with coco this time I imagine: new medium with new learning experiences re-sparks my interest and gives me something to research instead of just waiting and waiting like I was thru September and most of October.

Re: Kingston's Perpetual Grow & Juice Bar - LED - 11 Strains

Speaking of outdoors...

Mendocino Madness Final Report

After bud rot MM#5 was total loss. Rot continued during drying.

MM#4, a 40" plant vegged all summer, yielded only 35 grams of larfy buds. They are sticky so I will make oil with them, but not going to bother with smoke report. She had several weeks to go, should have started flower a month earlier and been done in September. That part of growing outdoors I don't like. But summer evenings I spent surrounded by plants as I worked in back yard is one of my favorite parts of the past year. :Namaste:
20161110_223750.jpg

Harvest Report - BCS and Critical

Took almost 2 weeks to dry. Finally got into jars this morning. Humidity was not the issue. I leave sugar leaves on buds, and these buds are denser than most of other harvests, both slowed drying. But they just made it in time for NOTM entry this month.

Critical yield was a little disappointing. She looked much heavier at harvest, but that may have been due to her retaining more fan leaves than other plants. 30 grams is decent production for 1 sq.ft., and quality looks and smells better than prior harvests so I'm definitely pleased. I just was hoping for a little more to brag about.
20161112_110645.jpg

BCS did not disappoint. 47 grams, a personal best and 10 grams more than mother plant produced as 3' tree, plus smell is much more pronounced and the calyxes are dark (hard to see because of leaves, but they are almost black like the name suggests.) If I can grow this in plain soil with haphazard feeding schedule the 2 clones I put into tent today with better soil and amendments should meet my goal of 2 oz. per plant/sq.ft. In 60 days we'll know.
20161112_110249.jpg

:Namaste::Namaste:

HB10 Update

I've scaled back my plan for Hash Bomb #10, sort of. I have now disabused myself from the notion that I will have the kind of time to devote to developing a single perfect plant any time soon. On the other hand I potted her up into 6 gal of DBHBB soil and given her a Destress spray and Brix spray. When I potted her up about 2 weeks ago she was suffering from several deficiencies and a mite attack. Her leaves were all half yellow and slightly crunchy. All that's been replaced with beautiful green leaves, although some stems and petioles are still purple.
20161112_150437.jpg

Top view gives better view of what I have to work with. This is actually after thinning. I reduced main branches to 6-8 side shoots plus apex. Problem is that the side shoot have side shoots that need to be thinned. I love the way Hash Bombs naturally branch, but this is the the wrong strain for the controlled monster I originally planned. Uncontrolled monster is still a plan, right? In this case yes. Semi-uncontrolled. I'm still adjusting angles of branches to direct growth. I'm still pruning for even cola spacing, although the total number has increased because she is already a foot wider than I planned. In fact she may be larger mass-wise than my outdoor girls were. She will be soon. I'm giving her another week or two for roots to finish filling pot and then she will become first fully high brix plant in my bloom tent. And in February she will be POTM. :Namaste:
20161112_150305.jpg

Love Shack Update

The house was a rockin' yesterday! Morning windstorm blew away greenhouse again. No casualties inside tent. 3 male plants mark the corners of where greenhouse was.
20161112_142404.jpg

Close-ups of a few of the flowers so I can check for changes later.
1) chernobyl actually close to harvest but so small that I thought she would be better for seeds, plus I wanted to try cross.
20161112_142914.jpg

2) Hash bomb 4 clone and 3) HB6 clone, both a few weeks into flower with a few white tufts.
20161112_142828.jpg
20161112_142859.jpg

4) Don't know what this one is, 7 blades could be Dutch Amnesia Haze, another cross at any rate.
20161112_142903.jpg

I put greenhouse back with weight this time. I'm going to collect some pods and hand pollenate just to make sure. I don't need more seeds, but since I'm making them it would be shame not to get as many as possible. Someday I will have space for breeding experiments.

Oh, jeeeezzz Kingston, I am so sorry to hear that.
Good that there were no major causalities.

Keep the lady going and she will be POTM. You sure will have my vote :) She is beautiful

Inside the Tent - Old style ScrOG

Biggest project this weekend was feeding my transition batch, trimming up and fitting them all in tent. Four have been in there at least a week already. All were potted up into 2 gal with LOS but not the Doc's kit soil. It's sunshine #4, although some have plain soil around 1 gal root ball. I also mineralized the soil with 6-5-3 formula of calcium carbonate, rock phosphate and gypsum plus bone meal. Yesterday I top-dressed with rabbit manure and worm castings. I top-watered them with FF Open Sesame and molasses, enough to drain thru and fill bucket they were in, so kind of like a drench. It's not Doc's soil but I'm trying to follow high brix methods.

White Widow #2 clones (compact pheno) These went into tent last weekend without a screen. They had good branching but were too short. They've extended enough to reach screen now but I will still have to do a lot of training during flower. I rushed them a little bit but overall they both have a better start than their mother.
20161113_141824.jpg

Critical clones also in tent for a week, well established in screen and looking like getting ready for stretch. Mom didn't stretch much but these are better prepared so I'm hoping for better stretch even though these are clones. Had to trim a lot of undergrowth because no light is getting thru canopy.
20161113_143703.jpg

Hash Bomb #2 clones (tray 1) Moved to tent 2 weeks ago, one already well into stretch and other just starting. Again lots of pruning underneath and even some trimming overcrowded canopy.
20161113_142813.jpg

Hash Bomb #2 clones (tray 2) Moved last weekend. Different view to show bucket I use for drenches. Well established canopy, lots of trimming, etc. etc. etc.
20161113_145535.jpg

Critical clones (tray 2) moved this weekend. Not quite ready for tent but more even spread than mom had. Still need to keep training to fill screen. Can't wait any longer because I will need space for next batch of bigger plants in Doc's soil and if I hold them in veg too long I won't be able to fit them thru door.
20161113_152019.jpg

Hash Bomb #8 clones (indica pheno) Moved this weekend. Rushed a bit but better start than mom. (apparently that's my mantra for the week.)
20161113_152912.jpg

And the photo I've been wanting to post for a long time now, my field of green has returned! 8 trays including 2 not pictured above: Black Cherry Soda clones (right, 2nd from front) and another Hash Bomb #2 (front right). BCS were rushed as well. HB2 follows the same story as mom - too big to fit with another plant under same screen so she's got one to herself, and she's done good job of filling it. Not pictured is tray of Hash Bomb #4 (the foxtail sativa pheno) that I'm keeping in veg until new clones root.
20161113_155032.jpg

Final shot of 3 remaining Hash Bombs from original grow. HB2 (back) still only has few amber, but I see no sign of bud growth in past week so time to harvest. HB6 (right front) I could call the compact sativa pheno but she's the last of her line. Buds are very dense and at least 10% amber so time to chop. She's small but I suspect heavier than she looks. And HB4 the foxtail sativa. Not sure if that's good or bad. Cola's look impressive so I'm hanging on to genetics at least until I can do harvest report. That may be a few more weeks for her.
20161113_155159.jpg

Not pictured are my 5 SOG pots. They've all put on weight this week, more than I expected. I had graded the Bubba Kush a failure last week, now almost respectable considering this is salvage grow. Dutch Amnesia Haze may outperform mother, so heavy she's falling over.

Tent is full again except space where I borrowed light to veg HB10. Bugs are gone (preventive spray scheduled anyway.) Deficiencies are gone, as are nute burns. It's nice to have grow that doesn't make me feel like I have to make excuses. Easy sailing ahead.:thumb: I mean, what could go wrong? (besides the previous 12 pages.:rofl: Uh-uh, not gonna happen this time.) :Namaste:

HB10 Update

I've scaled back my plan for Hash Bomb #10, sort of. I have now disabused myself from the notion that I will have the kind of time to devote to developing a single perfect plant any time soon. On the other hand I potted her up into 6 gal of DBHBB soil and given her a Destress spray and Brix spray. When I potted her up about 2 weeks ago she was suffering from several deficiencies and a mite attack. Her leaves were all half yellow and slightly crunchy. All that's been replaced with beautiful green leaves, although some stems and petioles are still purple.
20161112_150437.jpg

Top view gives better view of what I have to work with. This is actually after thinning. I reduced main branches to 6-8 side shoots plus apex. Problem is that the side shoot have side shoots that need to be thinned. I love the way Hash Bombs naturally branch, but this is the the wrong strain for the controlled monster I originally planned. Uncontrolled monster is still a plan, right? In this case yes. Semi-uncontrolled. I'm still adjusting angles of branches to direct growth. I'm still pruning for even cola spacing, although the total number has increased because she is already a foot wider than I planned. In fact she may be larger mass-wise than my outdoor girls were. She will be soon. I'm giving her another week or two for roots to finish filling pot and then she will become first fully high brix plant in my bloom tent. And in February she will be POTM. :Namaste:
20161112_150305.jpg

Darn right she will! hahaha ;)

Harvest Update - Hash Bombs

Finally got a decisive view of trichs on HBs tonight and right on for harvest of HB2 and HB6.

First up HB2, mother of 5 clones already in tent and 1 vegging in 6 gal brix soil. She looks good out of her cage although not a lot of weight for branches to hold up (or so I thought). She made it though more set backs that most so any harvest is good. First she was gnawed on by rats about halfway around base of stem. She got hit by mites hard because of location next to Dutch Treats. And I let her dry out completely which is why there are no fan leaves left. Her colas are skinny but the buds are fairly solid. Wet weight of cut branches is 269 grams so dry weight may be close to 50 grams for buds.
20161115_185054.jpg
20161115_184921.jpg

Next is HB6 (with HB4). She's small and for most of grow I didn't think she'd produce much. She didn't stretch and didn't even fill the screen. Recently I've come to appreciate her as distinct pheno from others. Her buds are the fattest and densest of the HBs, maybe the densest of any plant I've grown. She smells stronger than others also, fruity like HB8 was plus some piney smell too. Wish I had saved a clone of her instead of HB4. I do still have a clone making seeds in the Love Shack, so I predict a pheno hunt for next summer.
20161115_183827.jpg

My opinion has switched on HB4 as well but not in a good way. She has managed to keep growing in spite of a gnawed stem even worse than HB2. Last photo shows stem healing a little. Unfortunately she is mostly leaf. Colas seem to have no substance to them.

QUESTION: Do foxtail colas produce decent weed? I'm thinking I should get rid of this line. Wondering if under better conditions like I have now would colas have been denser, or are foxtail colas always light and leafy?
20161115_184311.jpg

20161115_184215.jpg
20161115_184139.jpg

Getting excited to clear out this half of tent and start filling it with high brix plants like this one, HB2 clone. I had her branches tied down but she broke free. Tonight I added ScrOG cage to re-flatten and spread canopy. Soon she'll go into tent with HB10, but that's a story for another journal. :Namaste:
20161115_185725.jpg
20161115_190037.jpg

QUESTION: Do foxtail colas produce decent weed? I'm thinking I should get rid of this line. Wondering if under better conditions like I have now would colas have been denser, or are foxtail colas always light and leafy?
according to my research material..
there’s nothing wrong with genetic foxtailing.
The second cause of foxtailing is environmental and it’s usually cause by your lights. If you’ve ever parked a high-powered HPS or LED light (CFLs and T5s aren’t usually strong enough) too close to your cannabis, you might see it grow these odd spires.

Generally they smoke the same in genetics , I need to research in the heat issue if it is good or bad qjuality

That's all I can find also.

So there's only one thing for a junior scientist to do (Shame that my daughter can't use this for Science Fair!:rofl:)(or can she...)

I need to flower the 2 clones of HB4 and see if they foxtail. The mother was definitely closer to lights because she had full stretch and partner in tray had no stretch. over a foot difference!

And I need to eventually harvest mom and test the product. There's also a time issue. Do I want to keep a plant that is on way to taking over 100 days of flower? I can't tie up space that long. I think for that reason I need not continue this line. But I still get to do my experiment! :) :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom