Noob's First Grow: Indoor, Coco, 4 Plants

I love researching the old strains

You retain it too! I used to be that way with wines. Was a big collector, until I stopped drinking, of course. Fun to find a topic of interest, and dive deep into it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion with all of us here.

Hey everyone!

Hope you are having a great weekend. So in my first grow, I had one autoflowering plant, a Purple Kush. She of course finished much earlier than the three photoperiod gals, which are currently in Week 6 of bloom.

I harvested the Purple Kush on 6/10/19, which was 96 days after germination, and 55 days after first pistils. She came in at just over 10oz wet weight, including stems.

I wanted to try the "Low and Slow" technique for drying and curing, so the buds went onto a cooling rack, and into a big paper bag, in the fridge on 6/10/19. I turned the buds every few days, just to keep them even.

My plan had been to go to the next step around 6/20/19 or so, but an emergency stay in the hospital (appendix) threw that plan out of whack. I finally got back to them a couple of days ago. They had over-dried a bit (RH of 55%, was targeting 62%) but the buds still looked nice. They held on to the colours and the trichs looked good.

I finished the trimming, and jarred them up. I dampened a bit of paper towel, and placed that on plastic wrap in the jar (so the paper didn't make direct contact with the bud, but the air could absorb moisture. The next morning, RH was up to 69%, and I felt good with that. Paper towel out.

Since then, I have been moving the buds from one jar to another just to jostle them a bid and keep them separated. RH just now is 66%. I will keep "burping" them every day for another week, get humidity down to 62%, and then tuck the jars away for a few weeks to allow the mellowing process to take place. Will keep the jars in the dark in the basement where it is relatively cool.

Finally weight: 32gr in one jar, and 28gr in the other, for a total of 60gr on the nose (2.1 oz). I feel great about this. Not a huge harvest, but I got *a* harvest off my first grow. Yay! Thanks to everyone for all the help getting me this far. The three photo-gals have about 4 weeks or so to go before their turn in the fridge.

Have a great weekend!

That's a haul most of us would of liked to have on our first grow. Your killing it over here. Nice job Bard.

Thanks Derby! Couldn't have done it without your help, and help from lots and lots of others. Plus, having a lot of fun along the way!

Today was the big day for my auto Purple Kush (aka LongHorn). At the age of 94 DAYS since germination, and DAY 62 since showing pistils, she got the axe this morning. A few pictures of the slaughter:

So, 10.2oz (285 gr) wet weight, including stems. I'm guessing that should yield about 2 oz or 60 gr when dried, and stems removed. So not a killer harvest by any means, but for my first time out, I am really darned pleased!! In addition (not on the scales above) I got about 30 grams of sugar leaves, which I will use to make oil for gummies.

I will be using the "low and slow" drying technique I found here on 420 - the buds are in the fridge in paper bags right now.

Finally, here is the corpse... see, there really was a quad-line attempt made for this girl.

Goodbye, Purple Kush, we will meet again in smoke or edible form in a few weeks!

Will do another update in a few days on my GSC, Trainwreck, and Green Crack. Those are my three photoperiod girls who are currently in flower. Saturday will be DAY 21 since pistils, and they will be getting a defol job at that time.

Have a great evening, everyone!
great first run and that looks perfectly dank mate. brilliant job. just catching up.

I love researching the old strains
I would love to find coca kola again. this atrai kept me going for nearly 4 years from 1 original clone. it mutated and lost smell then went back to original but was still used for the entire period until i stopped growing. She was the perfect " stealth weed" and always hit well. Us old ones are the best lol.

Hey everyone!

Hope you are having a great weekend. So in my first grow, I had one autoflowering plant, a Purple Kush. She of course finished much earlier than the three photoperiod gals, which are currently in Week 6 of bloom.

I harvested the Purple Kush on 6/10/19, which was 96 days after germination, and 55 days after first pistils. She came in at just over 10oz wet weight, including stems.

I wanted to try the "Low and Slow" technique for drying and curing, so the buds went onto a cooling rack, and into a big paper bag, in the fridge on 6/10/19. I turned the buds every few days, just to keep them even.

My plan had been to go to the next step around 6/20/19 or so, but an emergency stay in the hospital (appendix) threw that plan out of whack. I finally got back to them a couple of days ago. They had over-dried a bit (RH of 55%, was targeting 62%) but the buds still looked nice. They held on to the colours and the trichs looked good.

I finished the trimming, and jarred them up. I dampened a bit of paper towel, and placed that on plastic wrap in the jar (so the paper didn't make direct contact with the bud, but the air could absorb moisture. The next morning, RH was up to 69%, and I felt good with that. Paper towel out.

Since then, I have been moving the buds from one jar to another just to jostle them a bid and keep them separated. RH just now is 66%. I will keep "burping" them every day for another week, get humidity down to 62%, and then tuck the jars away for a few weeks to allow the mellowing process to take place. Will keep the jars in the dark in the basement where it is relatively cool.

Finally weight: 32gr in one jar, and 28gr in the other, for a total of 60gr on the nose (2.1 oz). I feel great about this. Not a huge harvest, but I got *a* harvest off my first grow. Yay! Thanks to everyone for all the help getting me this far. The three photo-gals have about 4 weeks or so to go before their turn in the fridge.

Have a great weekend!
2oz of great looking, very loved weed. enjoy mate.

2oz of great looking, very loved weed. enjoy mate.

2.1!! Don't short me that 0.1oz. :) Just kidding. I am really pleased. It has hit the 62% humidity that I wanted and now will go to the basement. August 1 is trial date! I might even smoke some, but most will end up in gummies.

Hey everyone!

Have a great weekend!
Hey @The Bard ... Excellent first harvest!!!

So what's next ... autoflowers or photoperiods? Have a picked another favorite strain yet?

Hey @The Bard ... Excellent first harvest!!!

So what's next ... autoflowers or photoperiods? Have a picked another favorite strain yet?

Hey SQ!

Still have three photoperiod gals chugging along (GSC, Trainwreck, and Green Crack). I think they have 3-4 weeks left before harvest. Then I will be doing a colour/sweet/fruity auto run in Hempy/perlite. Haven't made final picks yet, but DDA will definitely be part of that grow. Hoping to try some reversing and crossing at the same time, just for fun and learning.

How is life treating you?

2.1!! Don't short me that 0.1oz. :) Just kidding. I am really pleased. It has hit the 62% humidity that I wanted and now will go to the basement. August 1 is trial date! I might even smoke some, but most will end up in gummies.
sounds like a good plan. smoke the .1.lol. rill on the next ones now mate

Hey SQ!

Still have three photoperiod gals chugging along (GSC, Trainwreck, and Green Crack). I think they have 3-4 weeks left before harvest. Then I will be doing a colour/sweet/fruity auto run in Hempy/perlite. Haven't made final picks yet, but DDA will definitely be part of that grow. Hoping to try some reversing and crossing at the same time, just for fun and learning.

How is life treating you?

Life is pretty good ... and my first grow has been very interesting so far. In fact, I just found out I have 2 photoperiods and 2 autoflowers instead of 4 autoflowers. I had assumed that the Bakerstreets I got from OCS were autoflowers ... but when the pistels didn't show up, I double checked and found out otherwise.

It was unexpected, ... but I am taking advantage of this oversight. I decided to take the "tops" from "topping" and treat them as clones. I have no idea if they will root ... but if they do, then I will transplant them into 2 litre pop bottles and make a mini SOG to fill up the space in the tent.

I am still getting used to quadlining ... and trying to simultaneously keep the growth nodes exposed and the canopy even ... that's still a challenge for me ... so I'm trying super cropping and bending.

Hey ... you wouldn't happen to know if I prune any stem on the plant, or if I accidentally break a stem bending it, if the stem will grow two new growth nodes. I understand and have done topping to get two new colas, but I'm just not sure if the topping technique works on every stem we top or prune.

And are you using Great White Mycorrhizae or Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice for your root system? If so, does it work?

Alright ... have fun and I'll keep popping in to celebrate your successes :)

Life is pretty good ... and my first grow has been very interesting so far. In fact, I just found out I have 2 photoperiods and 2 autoflowers instead of 4 autoflowers. I had assumed that the Bakerstreets I got from OCS were autoflowers ... but when the pistels didn't show up, I double checked and found out otherwise.

It was unexpected, ... but I am taking advantage of this oversight. I decided to take the "tops" from "topping" and treat them as clones. I have no idea if they will root ... but if they do, then I will transplant them into 2 litre pop bottles and make a mini SOG to fill up the space in the tent.

I am still getting used to quadlining ... and trying to simultaneously keep the growth nodes exposed and the canopy even ... that's still a challenge for me ... so I'm trying super cropping and bending.

Hey ... you wouldn't happen to know if I prune any stem on the plant, or if I accidentally break a stem bending it, if the stem will grow two new growth nodes. I understand and have done topping to get two new colas, but I'm just not sure if the topping technique works on every stem we top or prune.

And are you using Great White Mycorrhizae or Advanced Nutrients Voodoo juice for your root system? If so, does it work?

Alright ... have fun and I'll keep popping in to celebrate your successes :)

Congrats on your photos... oops! :)

I did quadlining on this first grow too, and I like it. Pipecleaners and binder clips worked the best for me to keep canopy even. I did the topping, but I didn't do any further secondary topping after that, so not sure about your question. Others will be able to help. @Asesino85 and @Dutchman1990 are a couple of seasoned quad-ers.

I am using both GW and Voodoo. I alternate between the two, adding it maybe once a week to the nute solution. I really don't know if it is doing any good or not. Lots of fans of both products, and I figure it isn't hurting...

Sorry I can't be of more help - still pretty new to all of this myself.

LOL ... yep ... 3 grams (0.1 oz) ... that's 2 gummy bears at least!

And in case you have the munchies:

The World's Largest Gummy Bear is the equivalent of 1,400 regular sized gummy bears.

Congrats on your photos... oops! :)

I did quadlining on this first grow too, and I like it. Pipecleaners and binder clips worked the best for me to keep canopy even. I did the topping, but I didn't do any further secondary topping after that, so not sure about your question. Others will be able to help. @Asesino85 and @Dutchman1990 are a couple of seasoned quad-ers.

I am using both GW and Voodoo. I alternate between the two, adding it maybe once a week to the nute solution. I really don't know if it is doing any good or not. Lots of fans of both products, and I figure it isn't hurting...

Sorry I can't be of more help - still pretty new to all of this myself.

Okay ... I'll see if others can help me out with my question.

And the GW and voodoo alternating sounds good ... I was originally thinking the first two weeks of veg and then the first two weeks of flower as a top dressing. Again, hopefully some of the others will help out with usage timelines.

Thanks again amigo!

Back
Top Bottom