Outdoor Autos In The Great White North Close To 56

OldMedUser

Formerly Known as LabRat
After a long absence I'm back with a little grow journal. This is my 3rd outdoor grow doing autos as photos just start flowering a couple weeks before frost is a danger tho they've been coming later and later as global warming does it's thing. Last year I harvested on Sept. 11 and got a killing frost just 4 days later so hoping for the same this year. Same strain, Mazarilla Auto fems by Urban Legends. This year I'm growing my own fem F1s that came off two different plants known as 'A' and 'C' as the 'B' plant from the 3 was the pollen donor reversed with STS.

Been so long a lot of the peeps I knew earlier are gone or I've forgotten their names but I'll tag @420 and @Krissi Carbone for now.

Only two last year but five this year. This is last year's the day before chopping after removing the bulk of the fan leaves. The middle one is an unrelated auto CBD that did not pass muster. 6oz each off the Maz so not huge but decent for up here. I really need a decent greenhouse but late in the game for me now so should have done that 20 years ago. Only 32" tall.

ReadyToCropMazarilla.JPG

This year I'm growing in a raised bed that the wife kindly donated for my project. It's 16x8x1.5' deep but I only prepped 8' of it. I expected bigger plants as it's a lot more exposed out there but turns out trees are blocking at least 2 hours of morning sun and another 2 or 3 later before sunset so I'll be giving the chainsaw a bit of a workout this fall once the rest of the wife's garden is cropped as I'll need to drop a few across it.

I'll skip the earlier stuff other than to say I'll be starting my seeds in larger pots next year. These got sprouted first week of June in those 9-hole seed starter pots then moved into little 3" square pots as the weather was cooler and wetter than last year so they didn't go into the ground until the first week of July. Was still cooler in July this year as last year we had those two heat domes that they really loved and grew up fast.

This year the tallest is only 26" and the two 'A' plants are smaller at only 18" at the main cola but the side branches are now taller than that so WTF do I measure. :)

This is one of the 'C' plants that lost two branches on the night of the 13th. Good oz less from it thanks to that loss tho the rest should get a little fatter without having to grow those.

StormMaz130822B.JPG

The next day I pounded in a bunch of bamboo stakes and tied the branches to them with long pipe-cleaners tho a stronger storm could still do a lot of damage.

MazPipeCleaners.JPG

The day after I set up a windbreak using a couple layers of snow fencing but that blocks even more light in the afternoon and doesn't cover hard winds from the southwest worth a damn so I changed that up the day after.

MazPatch150822A.JPG

Had about 25' of sheep fencing so used that for nice open backing then laid 6ml greenhouse plastic across. Just 10' at first to reach from pole to pole but still didn't cover the southwest so tacked on another 10' and put a 3' overhang for better coverage from the northwest and now covers the southwest to my satisfaction. From every other direction there are woods to block the wind but the strongest winds come from the west here and there is nothing for over a mile to help.

MazPatch160822A.JPG

Not long ago when we were in the city, Grande Prairie, AB, about 2 hours away where the closest hydro store is at I grabbed a 6 roll pack of that Alien Tape you may have seen on TV commercials. Got 6 rolls for about half the price as ordering the 3 rolls on TV. Even tho they ship from Canada it sells for 19.99US and I got 6 for $17.95Can here.

Perfect for joining the two 5'x10' strips of plastic and sticks really well. I just knew that stuff would come in handy!

MazPatch160822B.JPG

The plastic is all held on with those fold-back paper clips so I can easily take it off and roll it up for next year. The poles and wire can stay up.

Inside I've been spraying another F1 Mazarilla plant with two others to pollinate. I had been doing another one that started to show 'nanners but quit for some reason. I had sprayed it again and maybe shouldn't have so now that this new one is reversing I'll stop spraying and pick off ripe 'nanners as they are ready. The breeder would like 50 - 100 F2 seeds to continue work on this strain plus I want to get some Mazar autos to add more Mazar to it myself as that is a favourite of mine. I was going to just dust some buds on the outdoor ones but for insurance I'll do both the inside ones as well. I like the growth on the one on the right. Looks like it will be one huge cola from top to bottom when it's done. The middle one is the pollen donor.

MazF1Indoor180822.JPG

There are 'nanners scattered all over it so will start picking off ripe ones tonight. Nothing else flowering in there now other than the other two autos so don't care if any pollen gets loose. I will be flipping some Pink Kush to flower in a week or so then the autos can go upstairs into my little 2x4 grow tent to finish off.

MazF1Nanners180822B.JPG

All for now. Gotta get downstairs and up-pot the 3 kush.

:peace:

Looking good @OldMedUser :high-five:

@Bill284 This is another one of our members from the past, coming back to journal again.

It would be great if you could subscribe to his journal and introduce him to some of the guys and gals :thanks:

This looks amazing and your property, omg.

The girls from last year although short as you mentioned, were so fuzzy and chunky!

Excited to hear both here and on my journal, that you are back to growing and doing indoor growing as well!

I don't have much, if any, expertise outdoors but seeing these pics with the raised beds and all just make me itch for the time I will be able to grow outdoors.

I had remembered Rob mentioning you coming back and it's seasoned growers like you that made sure I stuck around here when I came on. It's only right that I make sure you do the same now!

Happy to have you and thanks for the tag.

Watching.....look forward to conversation-I'm a grower and a yapper-lucky you lol

@West Hippie @StoneOtter @Rexer @FelipeBlu @Cola Monster @Bode @BooWho2 @HappyHazmat88 @Melville Hobbes

Just some names to get going here...all wonderful growers, some older some more new, some outdoor some indoor....

Threat of hail the other day so put a bunch of tomato cages around the plats for support then folded a double layer of snow fencing over top but the hail never came so was out taking it off at 3:30am.

Couple of re-bar stakes pounded in at the back to keep it from blowing around in a storm. Earlier I stirred 3 tbsps of Gaia Green Insect Frass around the base of each plant then watered that in with 3 - 5gal jugs of RO water split between them. The soil at the top was cracking like a drought but the plants still looked happy enough.

MazPatchHailCover200822A.JPG

Wasn't enough water for them so I wound a new 50' soaker hose around the plants and ran it at low pressure for about 4 hours until the moisture probe showed Wet 7" down wherever I stuck it in the soil.

Less than 3 weeks to go if they stick to last year's schedule.

MazPatch220822A.JPG

Had enough pollen to dust the two small indoor autos all over lightly last night and will dust them a bit more in a week but still plucking 'nanners every 2nd day from the donor plant and want to dust some buds on the outside girls of the same strain for as many F2 seeds as I can get.

Threat of hail the other day so put a bunch of tomato cages around the plats for support then folded a double layer of snow fencing over top but the hail never came so was out taking it off at 3:30am.

Couple of re-bar stakes pounded in at the back to keep it from blowing around in a storm. Earlier I stirred 3 tbsps of Gaia Green Insect Frass around the base of each plant then watered that in with 3 - 5gal jugs of RO water split between them. The soil at the top was cracking like a drought but the plants still looked happy enough.

MazPatchHailCover200822A.JPG

Wasn't enough water for them so I wound a new 50' soaker hose around the plants and ran it at low pressure for about 4 hours until the moisture probe showed Wet 7" down wherever I stuck it in the soil.

Less than 3 weeks to go if they stick to last year's schedule.

MazPatch220822A.JPG

Had enough pollen to dust the two small indoor autos all over lightly last night and will dust them a bit more in a week but still plucking 'nanners every 2nd day from the donor plant and want to dust some buds on the outside girls of the same strain for as many F2 seeds as I can get.

Beautiful garden my friend. :bravo:
The pollen you put on the auto? From a photo?
Will you still get auto seeds?
Hope you are having a great day.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Beautiful garden my friend. :bravo:
The pollen you put on the auto? From a photo?
Will you still get auto seeds?
Hope you are having a great day.

Stay safe

The plants I'm using for making the F2 seeds with indoors are the same strain of fem autos in the outside garden. Mazarilla, a cross of GG#4 auto and Mazar auto created by Urban Legends. He has a bunch of Auto GG#4 crosses but I'm partial to Mazar so am going with these for now.

I just cropped a GG#4 photo and it's a pretty nice buzz on it's own.

All the F2 seeds I get will also be fem autos.

After a long absence I'm back with a little grow journal. This is my 3rd outdoor grow doing autos as photos just start flowering a couple weeks before frost is a danger tho they've been coming later and later as global warming does it's thing. Last year I harvested on Sept. 11 and got a killing frost just 4 days later so hoping for the same this year. Same strain, Mazarilla Auto fems by Urban Legends. This year I'm growing my own fem F1s that came off two different plants known as 'A' and 'C' as the 'B' plant from the 3 was the pollen donor reversed with STS.

Been so long a lot of the peeps I knew earlier are gone or I've forgotten their names but I'll tag @420 and @Krissi Carbone for now.

Only two last year but five this year. This is last year's the day before chopping after removing the bulk of the fan leaves. The middle one is an unrelated auto CBD that did not pass muster. 6oz each off the Maz so not huge but decent for up here. I really need a decent greenhouse but late in the game for me now so should have done that 20 years ago. Only 32" tall.

ReadyToCropMazarilla.JPG

This year I'm growing in a raised bed that the wife kindly donated for my project. It's 16x8x1.5' deep but I only prepped 8' of it. I expected bigger plants as it's a lot more exposed out there but turns out trees are blocking at least 2 hours of morning sun and another 2 or 3 later before sunset so I'll be giving the chainsaw a bit of a workout this fall once the rest of the wife's garden is cropped as I'll need to drop a few across it.

I'll skip the earlier stuff other than to say I'll be starting my seeds in larger pots next year. These got sprouted first week of June in those 9-hole seed starter pots then moved into little 3" square pots as the weather was cooler and wetter than last year so they didn't go into the ground until the first week of July. Was still cooler in July this year as last year we had those two heat domes that they really loved and grew up fast.

This year the tallest is only 26" and the two 'A' plants are smaller at only 18" at the main cola but the side branches are now taller than that so WTF do I measure. :)

This is one of the 'C' plants that lost two branches on the night of the 13th. Good oz less from it thanks to that loss tho the rest should get a little fatter without having to grow those.

StormMaz130822B.JPG

The next day I pounded in a bunch of bamboo stakes and tied the branches to them with long pipe-cleaners tho a stronger storm could still do a lot of damage.

MazPipeCleaners.JPG

The day after I set up a windbreak using a couple layers of snow fencing but that blocks even more light in the afternoon and doesn't cover hard winds from the southwest worth a damn so I changed that up the day after.

MazPatch150822A.JPG

Had about 25' of sheep fencing so used that for nice open backing then laid 6ml greenhouse plastic across. Just 10' at first to reach from pole to pole but still didn't cover the southwest so tacked on another 10' and put a 3' overhang for better coverage from the northwest and now covers the southwest to my satisfaction. From every other direction there are woods to block the wind but the strongest winds come from the west here and there is nothing for over a mile to help.

MazPatch160822A.JPG

Not long ago when we were in the city, Grande Prairie, AB, about 2 hours away where the closest hydro store is at I grabbed a 6 roll pack of that Alien Tape you may have seen on TV commercials. Got 6 rolls for about half the price as ordering the 3 rolls on TV. Even tho they ship from Canada it sells for 19.99US and I got 6 for $17.95Can here.

Perfect for joining the two 5'x10' strips of plastic and sticks really well. I just knew that stuff would come in handy!

MazPatch160822B.JPG

The plastic is all held on with those fold-back paper clips so I can easily take it off and roll it up for next year. The poles and wire can stay up.

Inside I've been spraying another F1 Mazarilla plant with two others to pollinate. I had been doing another one that started to show 'nanners but quit for some reason. I had sprayed it again and maybe shouldn't have so now that this new one is reversing I'll stop spraying and pick off ripe 'nanners as they are ready. The breeder would like 50 - 100 F2 seeds to continue work on this strain plus I want to get some Mazar autos to add more Mazar to it myself as that is a favourite of mine. I was going to just dust some buds on the outdoor ones but for insurance I'll do both the inside ones as well. I like the growth on the one on the right. Looks like it will be one huge cola from top to bottom when it's done. The middle one is the pollen donor.

MazF1Indoor180822.JPG

There are 'nanners scattered all over it so will start picking off ripe ones tonight. Nothing else flowering in there now other than the other two autos so don't care if any pollen gets loose. I will be flipping some Pink Kush to flower in a week or so then the autos can go upstairs into my little 2x4 grow tent to finish off.

MazF1Nanners180822B.JPG

All for now. Gotta get downstairs and up-pot the 3 kush.

Lovely autos. These are my auto blueberries purple lemonades and purple punch . 2nd year growing autos outdoors and big shout out to fast buds.

20220824_203234.jpg

20220824_203227.jpg

20220824_183249.jpg

20220806_001325.jpg

20220806_001220.jpg

The girls from last year although short as you mentioned, were so fuzzy and chunky!

Excited to hear both here and on my journal, that you are back to growing and doing indoor growing as well!

I don't have much, if any, expertise outdoors but seeing these pics with the raised beds and all just make me itch for the time I will be able to grow outdoors.

I had remembered Rob mentioning you coming back and it's seasoned growers like you that made sure I stuck around here when I came on. It's only right that I make sure you do the same now!

Watching.....look forward to conversation-I'm a grower and a yapper-lucky you lol

@West Hippie @StoneOtter @Rexer @FelipeBlu @Cola Monster @Bode @BooWho2 @HappyHazmat88 @Melville Hobbes

Just some names to get going here...all wonderful growers, some older some more new, some outdoor some indoor....
I don’t know much but I’m growing outdoors and been dealing with pests so anything I can do and welcome back.

Hi Krissi.
Incredible girls my friend Wow. :yahoo:
Excellent work.
Hope your having a great day.

Stay safe
Thanks Bill. Humidity is 93% and if they don't hurry up I'm gonna start worrying about bud rot. Hopefully they'll get through . Just a quick look from May 25th till yesterday.

20220807_120727.jpg

20220806_001311.jpg

20220806_001229.jpg

20220806_000956.jpg

20220723_171537.jpg

20220707_191621.jpg

20220703_155652.jpg

20220701_104525.jpg

20220625_152919.jpg

20220625_152846.jpg

This is my 3rd outdoor grow doing autos
Hey Med - this was my second year doing autos outside - last year was fine but this year was a bust. My photos seem to be moving along fine. I waited until June to drop seeds - trying to keep them smaller and manageable.
Welcome back!! :welcome:

Hi Krissi.

Thanks Bill. Humidity is 93% and if they don't hurry up I'm gonna start worrying about bud rot. Hopefully they'll get through . Just a quick look from May 25th till yesterday.

20220807_120727.jpg

20220806_001311.jpg

20220806_001229.jpg

20220806_000956.jpg

20220723_171537.jpg

20220707_191621.jpg

20220703_155652.jpg

20220701_104525.jpg

20220625_152919.jpg

20220625_152846.jpg
Love the burlap bags sitting in the tray of soil, brilliant.
You have to make sure everyone sees that.
It's a great idea for growing in the heat.
Garden and girls are awesome, excellent work. :yahoo:
Hope you can chop before it gets any rot.
Take care.

Stay safe

Hey Med - this was my second year doing autos outside - last year was fine but this year was a bust. My photos seem to be moving along fine. I waited until June to drop seeds - trying to keep them smaller and manageable.
Welcome back!! :welcome:

This is my 3rd year with the autos and I should have been doing this all along. Got this place almost 20 years ago and did grow some photos out in my woods but they barely started flowering when frost killed them off. They were sativas too so would have been Xmas before they were done but I wasn't as edumicated then as I am now about these things.

Mine got sprouted first week of June like last year but I kept them in little pots too long I think so next year everyone gets a 1-2L pot to sprout in. Was cool and wet all June so they didn't get in the ground until July 1. A week earlier last year.

I think I might file with HC this year so I can grow more next year without worrying about getting busted for more than 4. I have the 7 hemp plants out there too.

Hey Oldmed, first time I tried growing outside , when legal . My Auto got too big. I had to take the top branches on the early side cause it was above the 6' fence. still got 22 oz
I chose autos because like you I live in canada & season is not long enough I just wish I had a place to grow these monsters out
when I bought the seed I thought they were going to be short like tomato plants

edit - your link no workie

C'mon Man!! Yer killin' me!!!! Here is my "Big" one this year all 15" of her!!!
DSCF5055.JPG

Next year will be different - these two are now drying!!!
Beautiful work Amigo.:welldone:

Stay safe

Back
Top Bottom