Hello to you all.

I've been using my DIY SIPs for a few years now. It hasn't been smooth but I'm getting better.

I have an issue with my Godfather OG.

Here's the basics:

I use two SIPs - one at a time. I amend my soil after each grow with some basic all purpose fertilizer and additional perlite as needed. The containers hold right at 8 gallons of soil while the reservoirs hold about 2.5 gallons. They are stackable file totes. I have a 5 inch net pot for the wick and have air holes drilled in the bottom of the container. My fill line is 1.5 inches below the base of the container. I keep the room 75ish day and 70ish at nite. Humidity is my nemesis during winter but I do my best. I don't have much light... I have two (actual) 100 watt LEDs and I added my 150 watt hps this grow because I didn't scrog and this girl is huge lol.

I start the seeds in paper towels the straight into the SIP once they grow tails. I fill the res at 2.5 weeks(ish) because my roots hit the water right at about 3 weeks.

I always started getting funky leafs using straight pHd water. I always attributed it to my soil being weak. Then I thought it was like the plants forgot they were in soil and started binge drinking water.

I started a GH trio regimen and calimagic that stopped the problem until early to mid flower. All this time, I was pHing my water to 6.8ish. The problems didnt go away.

This time I figured "The plants are drinking straight from the res like hydro, so I should pH accordingly" so I have been pHing my mix @ 5.8 this grow. Feeding by the GH trio chart with 4ml / gallon calimagic every watering. Usually between half (early on) to 1 gallon per day (from mid-veg thru flowering).

This past week, I have been noticing what looks like it may be a phosphorus deficiency?

20240303_080601.jpg

I tried to show progression up there because I'm not sure it is phosphorus. I've been grinding search engines and here's what I think I could be doing wrong. I'm usually wrong when I try that so I'm hoping one of y'all can steer me in the right direction.

My nutrients are old. I've had them since at least 4 years ago. Maybe the lost their edge?

I'm adjusting my pH incorrectly and should shoot for 6-6.2?

I have root problems due to salt buildup - maybe both in the soil and the res? I considered a full soil flush and swapping the reservoirs out but I'm scared I'll pinch the roots because my net pot wick sits right on the bottom of the res.

I shouldn't be feeding every watering? Maybe every other?

I'll upload a whole plant pic tomorrow when the lights come on. I forgot to snap one in time today. I'll answer anything I forgot to include.

Sorry so long but thanks for taking the time to read me. ✌️

edit* I don't have an EC pen, so I can't tell you where that's sitting.

P.S.S it's a doubled up net pot so the soil sits about 3/8 inch from the bottom.

I would probably aim for 6.2 ph in the res. That is the upper side of hydro, and lower side of soil. If you top feed straight water you will wash down any salt build-up, and raise the res ph. I think 5.8 is too low, and 6.8 too high.

Edit.. then feed as normal at 6.2 ish. The twisted leaf ends In your pic shows high ph.

Auto fill reservoirs are done, minus an index notch.
Tomorrow, I need to finish the fill tubes, do a wet test and adjust the float. These were more work than expected but, probably because I over thought it… lol
Seems like they should work well though!

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3079.jpeg
Still need to make a level indicator and I forgot to make something to index them to make sure they get oriented correctly but, this is pretty much it… gota get the new tent and light set up and hopefully will get these filled with soil next weekend!

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

Hello to you all.

I've been using my DIY SIPs for a few years now. It hasn't been smooth but I'm getting better.

I have an issue with my Godfather OG.

Here's the basics:

I use two SIPs - one at a time. I amend my soil after each grow with some basic all purpose fertilizer and additional perlite as needed. The containers hold right at 8 gallons of soil while the reservoirs hold about 2.5 gallons. They are stackable file totes. I have a 5 inch net pot for the wick and have air holes drilled in the bottom of the container. My fill line is 1.5 inches below the base of the container. I keep the room 75ish day and 70ish at nite. Humidity is my nemesis during winter but I do my best. I don't have much light... I have two (actual) 100 watt LEDs and I added my 150 watt hps this grow because I didn't scrog and this girl is huge lol.

I start the seeds in paper towels the straight into the SIP once they grow tails. I fill the res at 2.5 weeks(ish) because my roots hit the water right at about 3 weeks.

I always started getting funky leafs using straight pHd water. I always attributed it to my soil being weak. Then I thought it was like the plants forgot they were in soil and started binge drinking water.

I started a GH trio regimen and calimagic that stopped the problem until early to mid flower. All this time, I was pHing my water to 6.8ish. The problems didnt go away.

This time I figured "The plants are drinking straight from the res like hydro, so I should pH accordingly" so I have been pHing my mix @ 5.8 this grow. Feeding by the GH trio chart with 4ml / gallon calimagic every watering. Usually between half (early on) to 1 gallon per day (from mid-veg thru flowering).

This past week, I have been noticing what looks like it may be a phosphorus deficiency?

20240303_080601.jpg

I tried to show progression up there because I'm not sure it is phosphorus. I've been grinding search engines and here's what I think I could be doing wrong. I'm usually wrong when I try that so I'm hoping one of y'all can steer me in the right direction.

My nutrients are old. I've had them since at least 4 years ago. Maybe the lost their edge?

I'm adjusting my pH incorrectly and should shoot for 6-6.2?

I have root problems due to salt buildup - maybe both in the soil and the res? I considered a full soil flush and swapping the reservoirs out but I'm scared I'll pinch the roots because my net pot wick sits right on the bottom of the res.

I shouldn't be feeding every watering? Maybe every other?

I'll upload a whole plant pic tomorrow when the lights come on. I forgot to snap one in time today. I'll answer anything I forgot to include.

Sorry so long but thanks for taking the time to read me. ✌️

edit* I don't have an EC pen, so I can't tell you where that's sitting.

P.S.S it's a doubled up net pot so the soil sits about 3/8 inch from the bottom.
Hi PjMac, My SIP's do the same. The fix that works for me is to drop 4ml of cal/mag into the rez on water day or if it's auto water, every day on a mature plant. They just can't access cal and mag in this method in my LOS soil.
Still need to make a level indicator and I forgot to make something to index them to make sure they get oriented correctly but, this is pretty much it… gota get the new tent and light set up and hopefully will get these filled with soil next weekend!

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg
Wow! Sweet crafting! Nice work!

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg
Im interested to know what soil/media you plan to use. Also if you are feeling super generous, could you put up a build list for your SIPs? Where did you get your hands on the fill tube holder for the bucket rim?

Agree with Kanno26
and now for something unsophisticated
BEFORE & AFTER TRAINING
20240303_115626.jpg
20240303_124530.jpg

BASKING IN WINTER SUN ,it was an unusual warm sunny sunday
20240303_161445.jpg

Back in her home starting to full the room may be one more week then last training then vertical growth before flower time ??
20240304_054425.jpg

🤙🤙✌️✌️
WooHoo! Your training skills are McFreakingAwesome!

Im interested to know what soil/media you plan to use. Also if you are feeling super generous, could you put up a build list for your SIPs? Where did you get your hands on the fill tube holder for the bucket rim?
Thanks, and yeah, I’ll try to get a list together tonight

As far as soil, I will probably start em in solo cup with FF strawberry fields and transplant into the sip full of FF ocean forest with 20% perlite unless I find a better option

As far as soil, I will probably start em in solo cup with FF strawberry fields and transplant into the sip full of FF ocean forest with 20% perlite unless I find a better option
IMO, you can skip the 20% perlite in the SIP. The perlite helps with drainage and to keep the soil from compacting, neither of which are issues in the SIP. I don't think it will hurt but it is not needed.

aaargh!!! I just split my stem open.. it's like a tunnel in there so much room.
The plant pretty much had pulled all the strings up from the gaffa tape and everything was pointing up.
And when I tried to pull back down the stem just ripped open.
I zipped tied it shut.... but now I'm anxious applying force downward again to get her level as the branches clearly do not want to move much anymore.
Azi I think I'm going for drilling the holes to tie down in the future as I imagine they would have just pulled a paper binder off the edge as well.

IMG_1708453634663.JPEG
u know what i found , get some silver tape, let it split open with tape on tape the ties off as the stem with grow into them faster than it heals, , bend them down as much as poss and tape it shut,
the tape will rip if needed but otherwise the stem if covered and open will heal a big ass white callus like the root callus, set rock hard and by flower u can take it off to have a giant golf ball knuckle,
i actualy split 3 stems in trial for this, by mistake, dont tie em to the pot as they rip appart in days lol and they are heavyer plants with way better buds, and didnt grow as tall

1) 5 gallon bucket
1) 3.5 gallon bucket
1) adjustable float valve
1) 4 inch net pot
1) bucket lid (cut for fill tube support)
1) 15 inch x 1 1/4 pvc pipe
1) 5 1/4 x 1 1/4 pvc pipe
1) 1 1/4 45 degree elbow
1) 1 1/4 coupler
1) 90 degree 1/4 inch push connect fiting
1) 90 degree 1/4 inch push connect bulkhead
1) straight 1/4 inch push connect bulkhead (for drain)
4 inches of 1/4 inch tubing
1) 7 1/4 x 4 x 3/16 acrylic sheet
1) 9 1/2 x 4 x 3/16 acrylic sheet
I think that covers it, if you have questions or need detail pics, just hit me up when ya get started. I’d be happy to help

1) 5 gallon bucket
1) 3.5 gallon bucket
1) adjustable float valve
1) 4 inch net pot
1) bucket lid (cut for fill tube support)
1) 15 inch x 1 1/4 pvc pipe
1) 5 1/4 x 1 1/4 pvc pipe
1) 1 1/4 45 degree elbow
1) 1 1/4 coupler
1) 90 degree 1/4 inch push connect fiting
1) 90 degree 1/4 inch push connect bulkhead
1) straight 1/4 inch push connect bulkhead (for drain)
4 inches of 1/4 inch tubing
1) 7 1/4 x 4 x 3/16 acrylic sheet
1) 9 1/2 x 4 x 3/16 acrylic sheet
I think that covers it, if you have questions or need detail pics, just hit me up when ya get started. I’d be happy to help
Wow this is great! You just saved me days of messing around. I can't wait to see how they work in your grow journal.

Back
Top Bottom