Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Wow they are looking fantastic. Good luck on the last couple of weeks keeping pests away. If I were a caterpillar I would be all over that! :yummy:

Update - 17 weeks since first pistils spotted on the 2 sativas

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The weather has returned to being fairly settled, some sun and warmth during the days, with cooling overnight temperatures. I will look to harvest in 2 - 3 weeks depending on appearances and weather conditions. This weekend I will look to prune off the stems that I selectively pollinated because the seeds will be totally mature now and they'll be dropping out of their bracts as I write, so I want to at least claim the majority of my seed harvest, not the stone tiles. So once I do that I have some 17 week 'testers' to compare to the 16 week 'testers'.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

I am enjoying what I have tried of her so far, which to me she still looks to have some time yet to go. I pruned some pest damaged part off her a week ago or so ago. I had to because of damage/rot developing over multiple colas. It is a shame, she had some big solid 'bats' on her, and I guess they are just too attractive for the local pests, probably white butterfly caterpillars. But that's ok as she will still provide a good amount of bud for me to consider her qualities and enjoy over the coming year.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

I feel very excited about this one. I have only had one small tiny bit that I noticed on the tiles one day a week or so ago that I must have ripped off on jostling the plant, it was barely dry and I stuffed the whole thing unground into the dynavap, just enough for 1 cap. It seemed very promising for it's high when full maturity is still ahead. So in a few days time I will prune off the stems that I previously selectively pollinated with Mulanje pollen, and then I will have a good amount of her bud to test. So far, going on when I first saw pistils, she has been flowering for 17 weeks. I think she has a powerful high to her, but also, she appears virtually untouched by pest damage, plus with her late flowering she loves cold nights, which is just great for my environment, snuggle closer my dear! These 2 plants won't give me masses of bud but all the same it'll be plenty for the year ahead, and so far, early testers of all 3 plants seem top shelf.

Looking ahead

I can see first amber trichomes developing on the Malawi/Panama, but on the Honduras/Panama there seems less. I'll have more mature buds to test by this time next week. The grow is coming to an end but it is also getting exciting because it is drawing to close for what looks like a top shelf outcome for me, and I can't ask for more than that.
Anyway, thanks for dropping by, keep well, and I hope you're enjoying some great home grown too! :ganjamon:
Been waiting on this post, and man, Stunger, you don't disappoint. This is incredible. And now, for the first time, some of your evil sorcery in terms of training is exposed to curious folks like me. That lower giant curve of the lower main node on the Honduras is spectacular. Very interesting to see how differently you trained each plant. Excellent example of training to the space and to the natural tendencies of each particular plant. Great work. And they are so obviously sativa and so strongly, I just love the way the branches/buds form on them. Landrace would appear to be evident in their look, yes? Now, those trichomes....WHOA. Spectacular trichome pics overall, but the ones on the Malawi just blow my mind. They look like they should be in the advertising videos some breeders show in those short, showcase vids they post on strains (Humboldt Seed Co. does this for each strain in the catalog, it's cool). How much of this insanity of trichomes do you feel is "natural" and would happen regardless vs. because of any droughting effect?

:adore:

The last two plants are looking awesome! Your balcony has served you well. :welldone:

This weekend I will look to prune off the stems that I selectively pollinated because the seeds will be totally mature now and they'll be dropping out of their bracts as I write, so I want to at least claim the majority of my seed harvest, not the stone tiles. So once I do that I have some 17 week 'testers' to compare to the 16 week 'testers'.
Those trichome shots are sensational. I'm also looking at the impressive way you've trained your plants to suit their environment. Enjoy your testers and seed harvest Stunger.

Getting back here late for one harvest but early for the other two. Congrats on the Mango Sherbert chop! After all that drought stress I bet it's glad to be over and done with. :cheesygrinsmiley: And the back of that sugar leaf is really something. The one thing I noticed visually about my droughted plant last fall was the trichomes back there, which I never get normally.

And those sativas are hanging around nicely...here's to more warm days to keep them happy through harvest! Sorry about the bud rot though.
Maybe it isn't mold, I'm not sure. I just remember taking a closer look at the damage wondering why it isn't spreading because botrytis was spreading on some of my other plants located in a different area, why wasn't it spreading on these plants, then I realized the damage is only where the caterpillars have been and also this "mold" is slightly different looking than botrytis. It's a different species of mold, or as you pointed out it may not be mold at all but something totally different.
From my limited experience, my bud rot looked the same whether I saw caterpillar damage or I didn't, and some of my plants seemed more susceptible than others next to them.

From my limited experience, my bud rot looked the same whether I saw caterpillar damage or I didn't,
It looked the same on my plants as well until I had a closer inspection and noticed slight differences in appearance. But in saying that the bud rot you were looking at could very well be all the same type of mold, as you know any type of damage or dead plant tissue caused by insects gives an opening for botrytis to take hold.

and some of my plants seemed more susceptible than others next to them.

Same strain?

:drool:
Wish I had smell'o'vision.
Thanks Joe, I am glad my near neighbour's don't share your wishes. :rofl:
Those flowers looks so tasty! Noooiiiice man! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks Skott!
Wow they are looking fantastic. Good luck on the last couple of weeks keeping pests away. If I were a caterpillar I would be all over that! :yummy:
Cheers LK! Hopefully the now cooling weather sees less pest pressure.
Been waiting on this post, and man, Stunger, you don't disappoint. This is incredible. And now, for the first time, some of your evil sorcery in terms of training is exposed to curious folks like me. That lower giant curve of the lower main node on the Honduras is spectacular. Very interesting to see how differently you trained each plant. Excellent example of training to the space and to the natural tendencies of each particular plant. Great work. And they are so obviously sativa and so strongly, I just love the way the branches/buds form on them. Landrace would appear to be evident in their look, yes? Now, those trichomes....WHOA. Spectacular trichome pics overall, but the ones on the Malawi just blow my mind. They look like they should be in the advertising videos some breeders show in those short, showcase vids they post on strains (Humboldt Seed Co. does this for each strain in the catalog, it's cool). How much of this insanity of trichomes do you feel is "natural" and would happen regardless vs. because of any droughting effect?
Cheers Jon! The Malawi definitely looks very nice up close, I know what you mean about those showcase vids and focus stacked shots, they do look amazing, and yes I could imagine the Malawi doing well in them.

But the LST training I carried out on all 3 plants was done to no great plan, it was very reactionary to deal with the plant growth, and at the time I had 4 plants all jammed in. I regard the training I did as 'not to be repeated!', next time I think I'll top and quadline/hexline/manifold to keep the 'spine' of the plant low and then be able to better maintain the vertical growth.
The last two plants are looking awesome! Your balcony has served you well. :welldone:
Thanks Beez! I am really pleased with the strains and what I have tested so far.
Those trichome shots are sensational. I'm also looking at the impressive way you've trained your plants to suit their environment. Enjoy your testers and seed harvest Stunger.
Thanks Carmen! As I explained to Jon above, this grow's LST training was all quite random and reactionary!
Fabolous bro Fabolous
Thanks Dust!
Getting back here late for one harvest but early for the other two. Congrats on the Mango Sherbert chop! After all that drought stress I bet it's glad to be over and done with. :cheesygrinsmiley: And the back of that sugar leaf is really something. The one thing I noticed visually about my droughted plant last fall was the trichomes back there, which I never get normally.

And those sativas are hanging around nicely...here's to more warm days to keep them happy through harvest! Sorry about the bud rot though.
Thanks Shed! I didn't at first, but by the end of the droughting I felt the back of the sugar leaves appeared to show more trichomes than I would have otherwise have expected. The experience has made me think that I want to at least give some sort of droughting experience to my plants in future.

The loss to bud rot/pests is a pain, but I can't be greedy as I'll still get more top bud from this grow than I can use in the year ahead, and so far, all 3 strains are looking really promising.

2 to 3 weeks you devil!

Now I say with respect, but you have me super curious, because no way could I even dream of getting that deep into a season. What sort of overnight temps will you be getting? RH values?

Every fibre in me is like woah, just chop, but I trust you know what your conditions are, and when the end of cycle will be best mate. Im low key having heart palpitations just thinking on it! But fair play, I still got my 4 pushing but Im a maniac with a gambling problem, so Im prepared to tempt fate on Dec starters with nothing to lose.

2 to 3 weeks you devil!

Now I say with respect, but you have me super curious, because no way could I even dream of getting that deep into a season. What sort of overnight temps will you be getting? RH values?

Every fibre in me is like woah, just chop, but I trust you know what your conditions are, and when the end of cycle will be best mate. Im low key having heart palpitations just thinking on it! But fair play, I still got my 4 pushing but Im a maniac with a gambling problem, so Im prepared to tempt fate on Dec starters with nothing to lose.
I must admit it does seem remarkably bold to be this deep in the season when I have previously never harvested later than mid April. The weather is cooling, overnight temps down to 11C, the forecast appears to be fine and dry ahead, the humidity is 76% which is about average. There also doesn't seem any pest issues to be worried about. So if the buds remain happy and the weather behaves, my understanding is that these sativas get stronger when allowed to flower later, so I am all for letting them do that. Cheers.

I must admit it does seem remarkably bold to be this deep in the season when I have previously never harvested later than mid April. The weather is cooling, overnight temps down to 11C, the forecast appears to be fine and dry ahead, the humidity is 76% which is about average. There also doesn't seem any pest issues to be worried about. So if the buds remain happy and the weather behaves, my understanding is that these sativas get stronger when allowed to flower later, so I am all for letting them do that. Cheers.
If you review grow journals of late-flowering tropical sativa strains, as well as breeder-published info, it seems it's not uncommon for these strains to ripen into December and January on the north half of the globe. So I suppose your two tropical sativas could flower nicely into June if you allow them to. Temperatures "down to 11 C" do not faze them, for sure; strains like Oldtimer's Haze and Green Haze keep on flowering in the cold (cold that would slow or even kill another plant) and ripen into January above the equator. Cheers, Stunger! Am very interested to watch your late-flowering plants!

Thanks Skott!

Cheers Jon! The Malawi definitely looks very nice up close, I know what you mean about those showcase vids and focus stacked shots, they do look amazing, and yes I could imagine the Malawi doing well in them.

But the LST training I carried out on all 3 plants was done to no great plan, it was very reactionary to deal with the plant growth, and at the time I had 4 plants all jammed in. I regard the training I did as 'not to be repeated!', next time I think I'll top and quadline/hexline/manifold to keep the 'spine' of the plant low and then be able to better maintain the vertical growth.

Thanks Beez! I am really pleased with the strains and what I have tested so far.

Thanks Carmen! As I explained to Jon above, this grow's LST training was all quite random and reactionary!

Thanks Dust!

Thanks Shed! I didn't at first, but by the end of the droughting I felt the back of the sugar leaves appeared to show more trichomes than I would have otherwise have expected. The experience has made me think that I want to at least give some sort of droughting experience to my plants in future.

The loss to bud rot/pests is a pain, but I can't be greedy as I'll still get more top bud from this grow than I can use in the year ahead, and so far, all 3 strains are looking really promising.
Hi @Stunger - you sell yourself a bit short, my friend. The way you describe your own training makes it sound like it was done willy nilly, and that is far from the case. I personally think it is a great display of going where the plant tells you to go within a given spatial reality, and that's a sure sign of an experienced hand.

That said, when I step in your shoes, I would have to agree with keeping her low in the way you describe. I personally would use Uncle Ben's topping method and quad or hex it out like that. I've done that plenty and it makes for a very low plant. Too low for me sometimes even, so now when I use this method I sometimes wait as long as the 6th node to be out before chopping all the way back down. I find that way the branches I am using for the base of the quad or whatever are longer and can immediately begin to be used in any way I see fit. Also, of course the root ball will be more developed, but most important to me is that it will give you a longer main stem using Uncle Ben's method. If you chop asap you end up with like a 6" tall stem supporting the entire plant, lol. See what I mean? But that would keep them low alright. Just two cents from me!

Thanks Skott!

Thanks Dust!

Yw bro

Perfect mate. Makes sense to my with those o/n and rh values. Not so much brave, but courage, your word bold, great stuff.
Thanks DV8! I feel while the weather permits I might as well let them run.
If you review grow journals of late-flowering tropical sativa strains, as well as breeder-published info, it seems it's not uncommon for these strains to ripen into December and January on the north half of the globe. So I suppose your two tropical sativas could flower nicely into June if you allow them to. Temperatures "down to 11 C" do not faze them, for sure; strains like Oldtimer's Haze and Green Haze keep on flowering in the cold (cold that would slow or even kill another plant) and ripen into January above the equator. Cheers, Stunger! Am very interested to watch your late-flowering plants!
Cheers Emeraldo! I am not concerned to let them run while they are happy to grow longer.
Hi @Stunger - you sell yourself a bit short, my friend. The way you describe your own training makes it sound like it was done willy nilly, and that is far from the case. I personally think it is a great display of going where the plant tells you to go within a given spatial reality, and that's a sure sign of an experienced hand.

That said, when I step in your shoes, I would have to agree with keeping her low in the way you describe. I personally would use Uncle Ben's topping method and quad or hex it out like that. I've done that plenty and it makes for a very low plant. Too low for me sometimes even, so now when I use this method I sometimes wait as long as the 6th node to be out before chopping all the way back down. I find that way the branches I am using for the base of the quad or whatever are longer and can immediately begin to be used in any way I see fit. Also, of course the root ball will be more developed, but most important to me is that it will give you a longer main stem using Uncle Ben's method. If you chop asap you end up with like a 6" tall stem supporting the entire plant, lol. See what I mean? But that would keep them low alright. Just two cents from me!
Thanks Jon! The training was not my best, but you make some good points.
How's MS looking? She's what, 10 days into drying? I'm very curious to see the tricomes from the droughting
Cheers Tim! I cut a bud off her yesterday and ground and vaped it, very sticky gooey on the inside, and she vapes sweet!

Back
Top Bottom