wow this thread got completely away for me. looks good. nearly there.

I think the bottom feeding was causing a build up of salts and an anaerobic situation in the media. I was chatting to my hydro shop guy at the weekend and he doesn't think the Autopots are great. Said the bigger ones are alright with soil and they're good for veggies but not great for what I was doing. It was worth a try.

i have a friend who bottom feeds in sunshine and promix. it becomes like coco, in that you need to be there every day and water careful. the tradeoff is he avoids an ongoing gnat problem 100%.

he follows a custom feed schedule as well.

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and cutting a hole in the ceiling to run the extraction ducting out into the loft. I reckon it would make my humidity management quite a bit easier and remove some noise from the cupboard. Shouldn't be too hard to patch up when we leave.

short term gain and long term pain. you will need air exchange and circ through the loft as well or you've set yourself up for black mold and mildew. houses here have been condemned after having similar set ups.

you need to move it outdoor, either direct from the grow space or into the loft then exchange to outdoor from the loft.

Good idea you know thats how i got my setup going.
I vent out to loft and in frrom loft.

black mold recipe unless you exchange from indoor to outdoor in the loop.

As i have an old gas fire flute/ducting to vent in from.

that would be a good out.

Had some dramas but settled in the end. Couple more weeks for the Cheeses.
i have a friend who bottom feeds in sunshine and promix. it becomes like coco, in that you need to be there every day and water careful. the tradeoff is he avoids an ongoing gnat problem 100%.

Yeah I'm sure with some tweaking I could get a drama free run with the Autopots. People have done it so I know it's possible. Learnt a bit from this attempt which is always good.
short term gain and long term pain. you will need air exchange and circ through the loft as well or you've set yourself up for black mold and mildew. houses here have been condemned after having similar set ups.

you need to move it outdoor, either direct from the grow space or into the loft then exchange to outdoor from the loft.
Well we won't be here all that long I doubt. Lol. I see daylight around the edges of the loft so I reckon there's enough air exchange up there anyway. I'm not venting out a big grow exactly. But I may tie the exhaust into the bathroom extractor vent which goes out the roof. Probably be enough to run the ducting up to where one of the gaps are though.

black mold recipe unless you exchange from indoor to outdoor in the loop.

that would be a good out.
As the flitter is at the end of the out take in the loft never had any issues with mold past 2 years.
Here in the uk most lofts dont see mold we build houses with bricks not wood dust and pests would be more of problem.

The intake is fresh air so would of thought that with an old flitter would be best for growing ladies?
Even have a socking over the end that vents into tent.Might be over kill tbh.

But UK has very different climate and house construction than over the pond.
But thanks for your input.

Ninja edit thats what it looks like sorry for my poor image/drawing :)
Not saying thats right someone might be able to enlighten me.
But seems to be working and im shocking at explaining myself at times
Fans also up there to help with the noise. ;)
loft space.jpg

;)

Well we won't be here all that long I doubt. Lol. I see daylight around the edges of the loft so I reckon there's enough air exchange up there anyway.

even passive exchange will often be enough.

I'm not venting out a big grow exactly. But I may tie the exhaust into the bathroom extractor vent which goes out the roof.

tying into anything venting outdoor would be sufficient. it's insane how much water even a couple plants will expire. that's what needs to be moved.

Probably be enough to run the ducting up to where one of the gaps are though.

if you have gaps and passive, more than fair chance it's enough. keep an eye on rh%.

As the flitter is at the end of the out take in the loft never had any issues with mold past 2 years.
Here in the uk most lofts dont see mold we build houses with bricks not wood dust and pests would be more of problem.

if you have plaster you'll get mold. you won't see it on the surface until too late. it starts inside. if you are solid brick from outside to indoor with no plaster you should be good. brick breathes if left open and uncovered.

The intake is fresh air so would of thought that with an old flitter would be best for growing ladies?

what the hell is a flitter ? obviously a british term, likely used at drag shows ... :p
if it's a passive loft vent to outdoor then you're probably good.

Even have a socking over the end that vents into tent.Might be over kill tbh.

depending on how strong your exhaust fan is pulling air out, you can usually get away with simple passive intake, unless your temps are staggeringly high.

But UK has very different climate and house construction than over the pond.

the climate there is the worst for black mold. cool and damp is horrible for promoting it. it's worse if a source of warm damp air cools, leaving the moisture behind.

my pops worked his entire life in hvac. he designed the bulk of my grow spaces over the years. he worked building ice plants and environment controls, mostly for hockey rinks, which produce an enormous amount of condensation that needs to be dealt with proper.

even passive exchange will often be enough.

tying into anything venting outdoor would be sufficient. it's insane how much water even a couple plants will expire. that's what needs to be moved.

if you have gaps and passive, more than fair chance it's enough. keep an eye on rh%.

if you have plaster you'll get mold. you won't see it on the surface until too late. it starts inside. if you are solid brick from outside to indoor with no plaster you should be good. brick breathes if left open and uncovered.

what the hell is a flitter ? obviously a british term, likely used at drag shows ... :p
if it's a passive loft vent to outdoor then you're probably good.

depending on how strong your exhaust fan is pulling air out, you can usually get away with simple passive intake, unless your temps are staggeringly high.

the climate there is the worst for black mold. cool and damp is horrible for promoting it. it's worse if a source of warm damp air cools, leaving the moisture behind.

my pops worked his entire life in hvac. he designed the bulk of my grow spaces over the years. he worked building ice plants and environment controls, mostly for hockey rinks, which produce an enormous amount of condensation that needs to be dealt with proper.
Cant say your wrong friend.
Just in my case you are very wrong i feel as i live here i kinda have the in side info.
So your making assumptions on data again not saying thats wrong your just not living in my small 3 bed
With a loft with no AC and its never damp maybe cool and we need to heat our homes heat rises , most uk homes
Have lofts that are hot all year around add the fact i vent to it all year around hot air no damp.
We tend not to have flat roofs here and have roof tiles. never had a damp issue in my loft.
Also most drainage is outside our homes does not look to pretty but its aanother reason the loft space keeps dry.
Now a bath room with no AC as i dont have one like most in the uk can bring that black mold here if you not careful.
Not lofts mate and windows maybe again due to not really having AC in most standard homes here due to moisture build up which i dont get in my loft spce but thanks again

LOL filters :)

Cant say your wrong friend.
Just in my case you are very wrong i feel as i live here i kinda have the in side info.

doesn't square with my experience of being there. only 4 months of london. it was wet and damp most times, but way warmer than where i'm from at the same time of year. springish. we'd be under a foot of snow.

there was even flowers starting which we wouldn't see ever at that time except maybe in victoria or vancouver.

So your making assumptions on data again not saying thats wrong your just not living in my small 3 bed
With a loft with no AC and its never damp maybe cool and we need to heat our homes heat rises , most uk homes
Have lofts that are hot all year around add the fact i vent to it all year around hot air no damp.

if not damp then no worries. i'd watch the rh% anyway. it's the amount of transpiration from the plants you want to account for. that's not a consideration taken when the house was built.

We tend not to have flat roofs here and have roof tiles. never had a damp issue in my loft.
Also most drainage is outside our homes does not look to pretty but its aanother reason the loft space keeps dry.

you do have a different building code for that. also brick really helps. concrete is bad for it.

Now a bath room with no AC as i dont have one like most in the uk can bring that black mold here if you not careful.

90% of the time that's where you find it here as well.

the house where i rent can not be sold due to it's age and mold having been detected previous. the owner would have to tear it down, or sell it for the lot only, once the house is unoccupied, it can't be rented again ever.

Not lofts mate and windows maybe again due to not really having AC in most standard homes here due to moisture build up which i dont get in my loft spce but thanks again

ac works by drying the air out. dehumidified air is also cooler as water carries the heat.

I dont live in london.

when i was young and in most old builds Windows in the uk had alot of metal.Causing alot of mold
now a days we have vents on pvc windows but as you know people like original and they still get used.
Also more modern houses will come with AC or have vents/fans in bathrooms to help.
And as you say that will vent or dry the damp air.Your talking about maybe 30% of houes here.
We have been dealing with damp for years its called a damp cause in cavity walls / insulation and its the standard here.
for new builds cant say the same for old ones. Leaks will be the biggest cause for black mold in the uk.
Your talking about old builds in london not converted you dont find as many outside of the capital
Most uk families live on estates/villages/new builds of some sort close to each other.
The rest live in those big damp houses in the country or in the big city in unmodernized places from the 60s etc
you might see on a trip to the uk or on TV also renting can also be an issue here we have a lot of bad landlords
making fast bucks putting famlies in poorly ventilated leaky properties left that way years.

4 months is not really living here , im 47 owned a few houses in my life time and never had a issue with mold in my lofts
other places hell yes.But again thanks dont want to sound disrespectful hope i never ;)

She's a happy girl and can't wait to see her finish :thumb: :woohoo:

Haven't been online all that much over the last week so only just picked up the sad news about Milo Yung passing away last week. 😢 RIP Big Buddha. It was a pleasure to have met him and conversed online. Hopefully his work is continued and his legacy lives on.

Back
Top Bottom