Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

yep, i knoe your right, i just want to get the most i can out of the cfl's im using, their cheap and i mean really cheap, i can get 30watt cfls for bout 50p each, which is roughly 70 cents or just under a doller, im not well up on usa currency but i can get both spectrums for that sort of money so could wack a lot in the room for next to nothing, i just want to c what i can do with cfls, i mean if i spend say 200 quid on a decent lamp then how will that compare to what i can get with cfl's. some people say good results and some bad with cfl's im just trying to eliminate the bad parts to get the best out of these cfl's. i mean maybe their cheap for a reason, they dont give off much light but when you got a load together it gives off loads, and i know each bulb is 30 watts of power so 10 bulbs would run roughly the same as 1 300 watt bulb, i just wanted to c how this compares, 10 bulbs to 1 sort of thing, ill try it with cfl's this grow and see what happens, if im not happy with the results or things drag on to long then ill probably switch to hid etc etc, but for now i purchased a few cheap seeds and stuck them in pots to see what happens, i didnt really think about setting up a grow it was sort of spure of the moment type thing and cfl's i had lying around so thought id give them a try, the only thing i can control with this grow really is lighting schedule and nutes and possibly the temp, as for co2 well that can wait till ive dialed everything else in,

i appreciate the help and advice and i take as much in as i can, plus reading your journal and others gives me plenty of advice and tips so its all a big learning curve for me,

and it can only mean things will get better and better.

so ill keep reading and keep growing and im sure ill soon get it dialed in and find out whats right for me and how im going to get the best results with what ive got, but one thing i do want to try is get 2 or 3 different grows growing with different light schedules, so ill take cuttings from these and possibly split my grow room into 3 levels and set the timers different for each level and c what happens, i am going to try it that way i can c and post the results for myself

I feel like I owe Corey from Blue Planet Nutrients another big shout-out, as I'm continually impressed by how much my plants love his nutrients, especially now that I have my Cal/Mag needs better managed. I use the 3-part Elite series, and I have ZERO complaints. It's really good stuff in my book.

I put a net in the tent, not for SCROG purposes, but to further aid in training as they complete their stretch. It's a big help already. I've also done quite a bit of defoliation (believe it or not, lol) and have gone a little lighter than last grow. Focusing most on budsites that are covered, and leaving more of the fans that don't seem to be in the way. In the last grow, I removed nearly all of the large fans. Just experimenting with finding my happy spot as far as leaf removal.

Hopefully the stretch will slow down soon, but right now they are still eager to grow up. Especially the Deadhead OG - holy cow! it's been about 24 days bloom phase now, and it must have shot up 2" yesterday. The OG Kush is really packing on the trichomes already, which makes me smile! :)

Group shot from above - check out all the tops!:
mar_14_1.jpg

OG Kush
mar_14_2.jpg

Deadhead OG
mar_14_3.jpg

Jack the Ripper
mar_14_4.jpg

Great job as always X. I thought these beauties need to be seen on this page as well. :thumb:

Great job as always X. I thought these beauties need to be seen on this page as well. :thumb:

:thanks: HMG, that's super cool. +rep for such a cool gesture. :thumb:

I really want to try that jack the ripper! I like tga genetics. will be getting more of his stuff in the future! I wanted to know how you like running the flo and gro inside the gl80l.

How long have you been runnning the flo and gro setup in the tent ? do you like it ?
The gl80l is an awesome tent and cant wait to try some other setups inside it!

how tall would you say your plants was when you switched the light cycle, ive read they stretch up to twice the size as the was and sometimes 3 times as big, from my last experience growing i never paid much attention but the plant started in an old wardrobe under a light then the landlord came round so we had to sneak it out into another address and while it was their it was sort of a house plant sitting on a table, then we started to see it turn to flower so we found an old shop that had a basement that we could use and we let it veg till it was probably to big and when it was cropped the plant must of been over 6ft, say the plant was 5 ft n the pot was 1 ft, n it growed really well, it took a long time though and considering the hectic life the plant had it produced really well, and we even took cuttings and without using rooting gel or powder and every cuttin we took survived and grew really well, i think maybe im thinking to much into this with my grow, as i wasnt to bothered with the jack flash and just watered it every now n again n fed it miracle grow n not once did i c nute burn, maybe the plant was from good stock because it grew like a beast without any real looking after,

i dont have height problems but obviously i dont want to veg for ages before flower, so i was thinking it would be good switching around a foot tall, as for the cuttings is it best i take these before i put it to flower, with the jack flash we just took cuttings as and when we saw a branch that wasnt going to produce much, ie the thin weedy branches we chopped and replanted, from what i remember we got roughly 8oz of dry buds from a 5 ft plant, now this may not be a good weight for a plant that big and possibly could of got more if i took more time and learned more but to me to have a top bud longer than my arm made me so chuffed that i had grown something like that, and i must say jack flash is high on my list of best tasting and smelling smoke ive had, not sure what other strains have this trait, but i know it sounds mad but to smell it you would say it smelled fruity a sort of tangy smell and a nice taste when smoked, from what i remember it was a cutting when we got it and from good jack flash plant, would love to get some more seeds of that strain or even find similar strains like that, but their are that many strains to choose from it would be hard to pick the right ones, trial and error i guess.

i must admit your plants look amazing and if i can get mine half as good as that ill have a very big smile on my face, or even a quater as nice as yours, it would leave me feeling very happy,

I really want to try that jack the ripper! I like tga genetics. will be getting more of his stuff in the future! I wanted to know how you like running the flo and gro inside the gl80l.

How long have you been runnning the flo and gro setup in the tent ? do you like it ?

I like it a lot, but it's overkill if you buy the whole shabang for a tent my size anyway. I bought the 6 site upgrade kit, and the brain bucket, then added my own pumps, hoses and reservoir, etc. to customize it to my smaller set-up. In general, it's probably better suited to a much bigger space, but it works great!

I agree the GL80L is a really nice tent. I like the size, though sometimes wish I had room for something bigger. Quality seems really good to me, though this is my first tent.

I've been eager to try Jack the Ripper, too. Funny how the name seems so ominous, but mine is so "feminine" looking (to me) compared to the other plants in the tent, that I tend to think of it quite differently than what the name implies. I'm super excited about all 3 strains - for all the herb I've had over the years, believe it or not - I've never had an OG strain. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Honestly, I have to take a deep breath before visiting this journal every time just to keep my adrenaline down!!:cheer::welldone::goodjob::thumb::circle-of-love::Namaste:

You are my role model ;)

I have to agree with Miss Bud, X has given me some solid advice since I have joined. His review on the Flo n Gro is the reason I switched from DWC buckets to that system.
I feel honored to call him a friend :Namaste:

how tall would you say your plants was when you switched the light cycle, ive read they stretch up to twice the size as the was and sometimes 3 times as big...

Well, mine were probably only about 6-8" above the rim of the container, but that is misleading as they were topped and trained to grow horizontal for a while, which kept the height lower than it would have been otherwise, in other words, they were short but not immature. They definitely can stretch more than twice their height, and often do in my experience. I'm growing mostly Sativa plants, so it was important for me to flower soon as Sativas sometimes keep growing and growing... So, I trained them to bush out, and flowered them fairly early. I'm still training them to fill out laterally. Some Sativa dominant plants can get upwards of 10-12 feet tall without training and too much veg time.

I have to agree with Miss Bud, X has given me some solid advice since I have joined. His review on the Flo n Gro is the reason I switched from DWC buckets to that system.
I feel honored to call him a friend :Namaste:

Wow, I'm really flattered and likewise honored! Thanks A1 (and of course Missbud, too). That really means a lot to me, and the feeling is mutual. Thanks friend(s)!! You guys sure know how to cheer me up. :)

:thanks:

EDIT - Oh yeah, and I saw your offer to Godspeed - doesn't get any cooler than that, and I offer you mad props and much respect for that incredibly generous offer, to one of the truly nice guys on this site... What a great gesture. :high-five:

If your're truly interested in looking into a Flo N Gro system I suggest taking a look at this excellent review

Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

I run this system and love it. :Namaste:

I like it a lot, but it's overkill if you buy the whole shabang for a tent my size anyway. I bought the 6 site upgrade kit, and the brain bucket, then added my own pumps, hoses and reservoir, etc. to customize it to my smaller set-up. In general, it's probably better suited to a much bigger space, but it works great!

I agree the GL80L is a really nice tent. I like the size, though sometimes wish I had room for something bigger. Quality seems really good to me, though this is my first tent.

I've been eager to try Jack the Ripper, too. Funny how the name seems so ominous, but mine is so "feminine" looking (to me) compared to the other plants in the tent, that I tend to think of it quite differently than what the name implies. I'm super excited about all 3 strains - for all the herb I've had over the years, believe it or not - I've never had an OG strain. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Yeah, The only Jack the Ripper I've ever had lived up to its name. Ripped my throat to shreds and made me cough so bad, I gave the rest away. Fook a lot-o-that!

well from what i can figure out big bud is mostly indica, special kush is also mostly indica, and the northern lights cross big bud is mostly indica. so from what i can tell my plants should be short and bushy compared to a sativa breed, so in theory my plants should remain short and bushy, i know they will still gain height but shouldnt be as much as a sative,
im starting to get a bit brainy now, all this reading is doing some good, its like been back at skool, but a hell of a lot more fun, now if only biology lessons where like this im sure everyone would pass with flying colours.

anyway, back to the matter in hand, so im hoping my plants should be nice and bushy well thats hopinh anyway, im just looking into some jack flash strains, i did love the smell of that the last time i had it, but where i am everything been sold it called cheeze, from the good stuff right down to the bad stuff, must be the younger generation, when you mention different strains to them they just look at you and look confused, to them its either cheeze or skunk, mention jack flash or northern lights and they think your on another planet, but i prefer to know what im smoking and find what i like, how ever for my grow i went cheap and cheerfull, so if all turns out good ill buy something i know i like and see how it turns out,

plus i think 10ft is a bit bigger than my cupboard, if i had lights in their i could probably manage a 6ft xmas tree but no bigger, but indoors you wouldnt grow that big anyway.

do you know of any strains that are similar to jack flash, or maybe you have not come across that type yet, but i remember when i was younger it would be a strain we would be out looking to buy and would choose that over anything else on sale, it was the tangy taste and tangy smell that done if for me and the effects it gave, not had none like it for years now

well from what i can figure out big bud is mostly indica, special kush is also mostly indica, and the northern lights cross big bud is mostly indica. so from what i can tell my plants should be short and bushy compared to a sativa breed, so in theory my plants should remain short and bushy, i know they will still gain height but shouldnt be as much as a sative,
im starting to get a bit brainy now, all this reading is doing some good, its like been back at skool, but a hell of a lot more fun, now if only biology lessons where like this im sure everyone would pass with flying colours.

anyway, back to the matter in hand, so im hoping my plants should be nice and bushy well thats hopinh anyway, im just looking into some jack flash strains, i did love the smell of that the last time i had it, but where i am everything been sold it called cheeze, from the good stuff right down to the bad stuff, must be the younger generation, when you mention different strains to them they just look at you and look confused, to them its either cheeze or skunk, mention jack flash or northern lights and they think your on another planet, but i prefer to know what im smoking and find what i like, how ever for my grow i went cheap and cheerfull, so if all turns out good ill buy something i know i like and see how it turns out,

plus i think 10ft is a bit bigger than my cupboard, if i had lights in their i could probably manage a 6ft xmas tree but no bigger, but indoors you wouldnt grow that big anyway.

do you know of any strains that are similar to jack flash, or maybe you have not come across that type yet, but i remember when i was younger it would be a strain we would be out looking to buy and would choose that over anything else on sale, it was the tangy taste and tangy smell that done if for me and the effects it gave, not had none like it for years now

Weedmaps dot com. you will find whatever strain you like and the dispensary/co-op/collective that carries it, and the donation amount for it in all 16 states in which it is legal to do so... be well.

oh wait, you're in the UK... sorry can't help ya there.

Someone asked me recently about my avatar -

It's actually created by an artist (Robert Buelteman) who uses electricity to "shock" a plant and then captures the image. I think I posted something about it in a previous journal, but I thought I'd share a link to an article that has some more amazing images he's captured from other plants as well, of course my favorite is the Cannabis plant - check it out if you get a minute, it's even better after a monster bong hit:

Force of Nature: Artist Puts Petal to the Metal for Electrifying Images

:bong:

Not sure how old you are, but there is a strain currently called Jack Flash, from Sensi Seeds I think. Don't think it's an old school strain - it's a variant of Jack Herer (these days most strains with Jack in the name are related to Jack Herer somehow - including my Jack the Ripper). Single Seed Centre, a sponsor here, has Jack Flash seeds:

Jack Flash - Sensi Seeds - Worldwide Marijuana Seeds

@ jandre2k3. if it was only that easy, i may as well be on a different planet where i am, no such thing as dispensaries here, its either grow your own or purchase black market n i dont agree with what they spend their money on, so i usually buy off other under the radar growers, but ive grown in the past so decided to give it another try, but thanks for the link, will be good for checking strains etc etc, i used herbies head shop for my seeds though, then when i found this site i noticed they was one of the sponsors, so im hoping the seeds are from good stock, and amazingly they shipped them from within my own country, so it made it all easier

@ Xlr8, thanks for the link im checking it out now, im early 30's now and im going back about 8 years, we always called it jack flash and i was smoking it over a few years so the strain was around a while and it always seemed to pop its head up every now and again and we would always seek it out when it did, so would any jack be a similar strain with that tangy taste and smell, almost like cat wee but in a nice way, it had the most amazing smell, not a skunky smell more realy tangy and fruity than skunky, or is their similar types i could possibly try,

@ jandre2k3. if it was only that easy, i may as well be on a different planet where i am, no such thing as dispensaries here, its either grow your own or purchase black market n i dont agree with what they spend their money on, so i usually buy off other under the radar growers, but ive grown in the past so decided to give it another try, but thanks for the link, will be good for checking strains etc etc, i used herbies head shop for my seeds though, then when i found this site i noticed they was one of the sponsors, so im hoping the seeds are from good stock, and amazingly they shipped them from within my own country, so it made it all easier

Ummm... <Points Upward> That was Xlr8 with the link to single seeds.

And Herbies doesn't carry Jack Flash... I just checked.

Edit: just saw your post at the same time I made this one... both at 14:39PDT

Back
Top Bottom