Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Xlr8 said:
Update on the gals in bloom... Getting closer! :)

I'm getting near the end of week 8 since switching to bloom lighting cycle. I checked trich's for the first time today, and the Deadhead is looking really close to ready. The trichs on the JTR looked close, too, which surprised me some because it doesn't seem as close as the trichs suggest - though it is supposed to be an 8-9 week strain. The OG is really poorly developed, bud-wise, but the trichs are mostly milky there too, with a little ambering. Will be harvesting fairly soon, at least the Deadhead...

A few bonus pics - happened to be working near the plants when lights went off, and took a few pictures without the HPS lighting making everything look so red/yellow:

Deadhead OG

Deadhead OG

Jack the Ripper

Always good to check in natural light once in a while.;). I also check in UV for mites.

Looking Good XL! :)

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

No no, please don't be sorry. It was a great question, I just haven't made an oil like that before, and just don't know. I'm really interested in it, though. Sure sorry to hear that your mother has cancer - I know how difficult it is to watch a close loved one suffer with such a terrible disease, and I admire you for trying to find a way to help her out.

I tried to do a little more research to see if I could find an answer for you (cancer is a real risk for me based on family history, too). Everything I've found, begs your same question, though -- more THC or CBD? I couldn't find anything that provided the answer, though I've just started to look. Here are a couple of links I've been checking out and will read more thoroughly when I can - thought they might interest you if you haven't seen them. They are compilations of studies done on the medical benefits of cannabis. Also, I'm assuming you've read up on Rick Simpson and his cannabis hemp oil? If not, try g*ogle'ing "rich simpson hemp oil".

:goodluck:

Thanks for the links, lots of info there... some dated, some current, a lot of it is over my head on the research end, but helpful. Thanks. That is the same oil I'm talking about. Will be making the first batch with the first harvest.

Thanks for the links, lots of info there... some dated, some current, a lot of it is over my head on the research end, but helpful. Thanks. That is the same oil I'm talking about. Will be making the first batch with the first harvest.

yea im gonna try and make some of that for my dad when the nycd is ready the 60 day wonder doesnt have enough of a yield to attempt it so im just giving that to him for the vape...........

Overall, the gals are looking pretty good, and I expect to harvest within the week on at least the Deadhead. I'd like to let the JTR go a little longer, but she has started poppin' nanners (male parts) all the sudden, as has the Deadhead, and I'd like to get the next group in. I'm not too concerned with nanners at 9 weeks, as this is very normal for a plant at 9 weeks, especially with Sativa heavy genetics. It's a last ditch effort at procreating before death. Having said that, I'd like to not let it get rampant before harvesting.

Photo update - 9 weeks bloom (since transition to flowering light schedule):

Deadhead OG:
apr_23_3.jpg

apr_23_2.jpg

Jack the Ripper (if you look close, you can see some "nanners" that I missed prior to taking the photo:
apr_23_4.jpg

Jack the Ripper "bud" leaf:
apr_23_1.jpg

Always good to check in natural light once in a while.;). I also check in UV for mites.

Looking Good XL! :)

Hey GG7 -

Good idea on the UV for mites. The pictures always look better under more natural light - those HPS lamps give such a yellow cast even if you balance the white. Thanks for dropping by - I was just checking out your Blue Cheese and GDP, they look beautiful.

yea im gonna try and make some of that for my dad when the nycd is ready the 60 day wonder doesnt have enough of a yield to attempt it so im just giving that to him for the vape...........

I don't know much about the Rick Simpson oil, but I've heard it takes a LOT of material to make. I sure hope it works out well for you both with the oil. I sure admire all you are both doing for your loved ones. :thumb:

Looking good xlr8.

I tried some oil once. It was nice for pain relief, just didn't care for the fact of the solvent extraction and taste.

I don't know much about the Rick Simpson oil, but I've heard it takes a LOT of material to make. I sure hope it works out well for you both with the oil. I sure admire all you are both doing for your loved ones. :thumb:

Yeah, I think for a complete "dose" it takes 1lb, but that should only be a few 4 plant harvests... and you can make smaller runs starting with just an ounce, but apparently it doesn't make much.

HomeMedGrower brought up something I didn't think about-- the taste after the solvent extraction... she may not like that :(

I know my mom would do anything for me, so I do the same for her.

:goodjob: You take unbelievable pictures. The plants are fantastic in thier own right, but he picture taking is an art you must share with us.

WHat camera, and how do you get the light where you do?:bravo:

O that deadhead looks delisious for sure!!!! That's as dank as it gets right there nanner's or not that is one sexy lady!!! Mad props to you homie and some +reps

Next time I order seeds I intend to get a high CBD strain to try. I really want to see what the effect is for my types of pain/issues. Harlequin is the strain I've heard the most about, but there are some other interesting ones, too. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on what Subcool's working on. Thanks for the heads up! :thumb:

CBD RULES! ;)

The GDP and Blue Cheese I have been growing are both VERY high in CBD. That's the kind of effect I prefer over the super high THC types. These can be made to be higher in THC and lower in CBD if you harvest them early at about week 6 or 7. I chopped one smaller GDP last year at week 6.5 and it was way speedier (more THC high) than its kin that got chopped closer to week 9.

Like I said... Nothing like a good smooth Indica with a generous level of CBDs in it! :) My favorite high and better at relieving certain types of pain than my prescription pain killers!

:Namaste:

Drive bye to see whats up. Buds are looking fantastic. Sorry to hear about the nanners. But like you said it's not uncomon for them to to that. Got to rememeber this also, if these are fem seeds, it's alot more comon. We mess with the genetics getting 'female' pollen, and hermies are alot more comon. That' why its always better to use just regular seeds if you want a stable genetic pool. Most people who grow fem are as a rule growing for stash or clones. Looks great Dude. Keepem Green

CBD RULES! ;)

The GDP and Blue Cheese I have been growing are both VERY high in CBD. That's the kind of effect I prefer over the super high THC types. These can be made to be higher in THC and lower in CBD if you harvest them early at about week 6 or 7. I chopped one smaller GDP last year at week 6.5 and it was way speedier (more THC high) than its kin that got chopped closer to week 9.

Like I said... Nothing like a good smooth Indica with a generous level of CBDs in it! :) My favorite high and better at relieving certain types of pain than my prescription pain killers!

Can you point me in a direction that shows GDP as a high CBD strain. I couldn't find anywhere that showed it that high. I think I found one place that had it listed at over 1% most where .2 to .5%

I'm very interested in high CBD strains and I have some Ken's GDP to pop was just waiting, but if there is more CBD in the GDP I might just pop a couple of them.

Can you point me in a direction that shows GDP as a high CBD strain. I couldn't find anywhere that showed it that high. I think I found one place that had it listed at over 1% most where .2 to .5%

I'm very interested in high CBD strains and I have some Ken's GDP to pop was just waiting, but if there is more CBD in the GDP I might just pop a couple of them.

CBD/THC content can be manipulated by the grower to a reasonable degree. :thumb:

I've got Ken's GDP here! :) Just let it go out to week 9 and harvest and you should end up with a very nice balance of THC/CBD. CBD is basically created by degraded THC, so any quality indica plant can be made to produce more of the CBD than it normally would if left to flower longer than 8 weeks. If you have a microscope or a good loupe, you can monitor the trichomes and harvest when the majority are all amber. LIke I said, with Ken's GDP, that would be at about week 9 or so depending on your growing conditions.

The Blue Cheese I have here from Medicinal Organic seed is similar in CBD effects if left to flower into weeks 9-11. I use my microscope to check trichomes before chopping just to make sure that the majority of the trichomes are amber.

I haven't had these buds lab tested, but I have consumed enough lab tested/certified high CBD pot in my life to know what the effects feel like, and both of my strains are killer in the CBD department! :)

As for well known CBD heavy strains...XL was spot on with his mention of Harlequin. That is a close relative of GDP, but with much higher CBD potential out of the gate. Perhaps too much for some people's tastes?

I find my Ken's GDP harvested around week 9 to be just about perfect in THC/CBD ratios. At least for me! :)

Looking good xlr8.

I tried some oil once. It was nice for pain relief, just didn't care for the fact of the solvent extraction and taste.

I never thought of that. In reading what your read carefully though, you didn't taste the solvent, right? You didn't like that solvent was used, and you didn't like the taste - correct? Seems reallly bad if the solvent could be tasted. I like the taste of cannabis cooking oil, but that's the closest I've come.

Beautiful Xlr8 Beautiful plants are lookin great :peace:

:thanks: papatater! :)

Silky, smooth...:drool:

Fabuloso my friend.

Heya Sisco!

Thanks man. Appreciato that muchioso. Grassy ass, amigo!

Yeah, I think for a complete "dose" it takes 1lb, but that should only be a few 4 plant harvests... and you can make smaller runs starting with just an ounce, but apparently it doesn't make much.

HomeMedGrower brought up something I didn't think about-- the taste after the solvent extraction... she may not like that :(

I know my mom would do anything for me, so I do the same for her.

Maybe it won't be bad - see my post to HMG, I'm not sure he meant the taste was from the solvent, might just have been the taste in general, and the fact that solvents were involved. Some people like cannabis flavor (i do) and some don't. I would think the solvent shouldn't leave a taste if done correctly, but I could be wrong. Very cool that you take care of your mom - you're right, she'd do same for you. I'm lucky my wonderful mom is still around - she is great support for me through many medical issues last few years.

Wish you nothing but positivity and good health to your mom. :goodluck:

:goodjob: You take unbelievable pictures. The plants are fantastic in thier own right, but he picture taking is an art you must share with us.

WHat camera, and how do you get the light where you do?:bravo:

Thanks 70s!

I have a Canon digitial SLR (can't remember the model at the moment). When I can, I wait until HPS lights go out, open up the tent, and then I have some ambient light from my veg space T5's. The T5's give me a little, and the built in flash does the rest.

I like to shoot them in the "P" (Program) mode. That setting is basically like auto mode, but you can manually adjust a few things and it allows you to shoot RAW files, which have amazing editing potential compared to "auto" mode (at least with my particular camera).

If I shoot the pics under HPS lamps, I do white balance adjustment to minimize reds/yellows, but even then, those don't look nearly as good. The Jack the Ripper "bud leaf" photo that was with the last set, was under HPS lamps, with the white balance adjusted. It still looks pretty good, but not nearly as good as the other photos which were lit indirectly with the T5's nearby, and compensated with the camera's built in flash. The flash really lights up the trichomes so you can see more what they really look like in person. The HPS lamps tend to wash them out or make them not as easy to see as in person, in my opinion.

I've got my plants light schedule more coordinated with when I'm typically working with veg plants nearby, so that I can open the tent, and capture a few pics right after lights out, then zip it up a couple minutes later and put them to bed. ;)

Back
Top Bottom