Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Xlr8 said:
Hey Blazin -

I'm sorry I realize this is a pretty late response to your question, but I've been swamped at home lately and haven't been able to get on as much. As I understand it, you can take a clone at almost anytime during flowering. If they've been in flowering mode more than about 14 days or so, it might just take a lot longer to root than if it were in veg. I've taken a clone at about 7-10 days into bloom, and it rooted in 8 days or so, no problem. Around 14 days or so, the plant will be focused on budding/flowering, and rooting a clone will take longer - maybe 2-3 weeks before showing roots (haven't tried this yet myself, though).

There is a technique called "Monster Cropping" where you take a clone at about day 21, and that clone supposedly will produce more sidebranching and give you a better yield by growing to a big bush. I've never tried this, and while I've heard it from growers I think of as reputable, I'm still a little skeptical about it, honestly. I'd love to see someone try a comparison somehow.

You can get a nice root system without cloning powders, etc., but you'd probably improve your odds/chances by using a cloning hormone of some sort.

This is just what I do, in a nutshell:

I use "Rapid Rooters" which are little plugs made from compacted tree bark of some sort. They have some micronutrients built in that cuttings and seedlings both really thrive in. I soak them for 24 hours in Clonex clone solution (as directed on label, at their lowest recommended dilution rate, then PH balanced).

I take my cutting, without wasting time I trim the leaves down, leaving just a couple of fans that are typically clipped down to half their regular length at the top. I trim off other leaves close to the stem, leaving one clipped node near the bottom of the cutting. I then cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle with a sharp, sterile razor knife right below a clipped node which will also be coated with gel and buried in the rooter plug. I dip the cutting into Root-tech rooting hormone (gel) that I put into a little bowl, making sure the entire end is coated evenly in the rooting gel. I stick the cutting into the Rapid Rooter, place under a humidity dome, and 7-10 days or so later (depending on the strain - some take longer) I have roots showing through the Rapid Rooter plug. During that 7-10 days, I will remoisten the rooter plug if it starts to lose it's dampness some. I re-moisten it with a light mixture Clonex solution, same mixture as I soaked the plugs in originally.

I have nearly 100% success this way now.

But, there are many many ways to clone successfully. In a pinch, you could even keep it in a glass of clean water until it rooted (I'd probably use a good bottled spring water, personally). As long as you change the water at least once a day, and take a good cutting, even that should work most of the time, with many strains (some strains clone much less easily).

If I were on a severe budget, I'd still do the rapid rooter plugs, and the cloning gel, but skip the presoaking/feeding with the Clonex. I'm guessing that would still work pretty well. To me, the Rapid Rooters make perfect cloning media. I think any rooting hormone, gel or powder should work well. I can only speak to the Root tech, which has worked great for me.

Again, sorry for the late response - hope this is still helpful. :goodluck:

Thanks so much for that info X. I just came across rapid rooter plugs today at brew and grow and they looked interesting, now I know I need them. I picked up some cloning gel and super thrive to go with my dome. Will try your method on cloning in a few weeks and report back.

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Just a word on Late havest for CBD's. This is a bit of misinformation. Harvesting late gives a higher concentration of CBN.

Follow this link for more. Time to Harvest.

While it is true that some CBD is left, it is mostly CBN and that is what causes the "couch lock" effect.

"Cannabinol, or CBN, is produced as THC oxidizes or degrades. Only a trace of CBN exists in fresh bud. Stored and cured tops or hashish have higher levels of CBN, that has converted from THC. Marijuana with high levels of CBN generally make the toker feel disoriented and often sleepy or groggy, often referred to as a stupefying high. At best CBN contains only 10 percent of the psychoactive potency of the original THC."

Summing up from what the whole of the collected articles state, THC is created from CBD acids, but only if there is enough energy to do so. Harvesting at the peak of ripeness shows stable CBD and maximum THC. Harvesting late, while some CBD can remain, it is only because there is not enough energy to convert it to THC, and no more CBD is produced by the plant. The existing THC begins to oxidize and form CBN. Thus, harvesting late will not increase the CBD.

From this it seems that to get a high CBD ratio, there needs to be a faster production of CBD than the plant can convert to THC. This can only be genetics and not time. Aging longer will only produce more THC converted from CBD, and the degraded THC into CBN. However, it does suggest that aging too long there will be a higher RATIO of CBN, THC, and CBD, as CBD degrades slower than THC but this will effect potency and cause more of a drowsy sedative effect.

"Late floral clusters exhibit the full potential of resin production, aromatic principles, and psychoactive effect. Complex mixtures of many monoterpene and sesquiterpene hydrocarbons along with alcohols, ethers, esters, and ketones determine the aroma and flavor of mature Cannabis. The levels of the basic terpenes and their polymerized by-products fluctuate as the resin ripens. The aromas of fresh floral clusters are usually preserved after drying, as by the late floral stage, a high proportion of ripe resins are present on the mature calyxes of the fresh plant. Cannabinoid production favors high THC acid and rising CBN acid content at this stage, since most active biosynthesis has ceased and more THC acid is being broken down into CBN acid than is being produced from CBD acid. CBD acid may accumulate because not enough energy is available to complete its conversion to THC acid. The THC-to-CBD ratio in the harvested floral clusters certainly begins to drop as biosynthesis slows, because THC acid levels decrease as it decom poses, and at the same time CBD acid levels remain or rise intact since CBD does not decompose as rapidly as THC acid. This tends to produce marijuana characterized by more somatic and sedative effects. Some cultivators prefer this to the more cerebral and clear psychoactivity of the peak floral stage."

Thank you for the info Jandre.

Agreed! Thank you a ton for clearing that up, Jandre. That makes a lot of sense to me, and I really needed the education on that. I'm just now starting to appreciate and learn about CBD's more, and that clears a few things up. :thanks:

Check your local grocery stores. In my area, I use Albertsons.

Grow update on Deadhead OG, Jack the Ripper and OG Kush in bloom:

Well, I harvested them all. I would have liked to keep the JTR going a little longer, but she started really poppin' nanners toward the end here, and I've got the next round I want to get in there soon. The Deadhead OG will yield much better than I previously thought (the buds are nice but not huge - holy cow were there a LOT of them though!). The OG Kush will yield really poor, but the high is phenomenal for sure. The Jack the Ripper will yield somewhere in the middle. The Deadhead is freakishly frosty, and has a really interesting aroma/flavor. Right off the bat, reminds me a little of "Lucy" as far as taste. Man I loved trimming her. The buds and trim leaves have such a heavy trichome coating, they feel like sticky velcro!

Seeds and breeding part of the grow:
I have some exciting news! The breeding experiment seems to have gone exactly to plan. I chopped the OG Kush first, and she's ready to jar. After inspecting her branches/buds carefully, the only one that appears to be seeded, is the one that I intentionally seeded. AND, those seeds look perfect! I picked out about (20-30?) seeds last night from the one bud (even the others on the same branch near it weren't seeded!). They looked perfect. These are the seeds created from the Jack the Ripper male (now deceased) mated to each plant in bloom. The experiment seemed to work on all 3 plants as planned, so I'm thrilled with that. I haven't had a chance to harvest the other seeds yet, but I'm pumped about the ones from the OG so far. Only one looked questionable as far as viability, the rest look very promising. Because it appears to have worked well, I'll describe the process I used again in another post.

Some final pics of the gals in bloom - 9 1/2 weeks from flip, and just before chop:

Deadhead OG:
apr_27_01.jpg

apr_27_02.jpg

apr_27_03.jpg

apr_27_05.jpg

Jack the Ripper:
apr_27_04.jpg

apr_27_08.jpg

OG Kush:
apr_27_06.jpg

apr_27_07.jpg

Drying:
apr_27_09.jpg

Deadhead OG:
apr_27_10.jpg

Jack the Ripper:
apr_27_11.jpg

OG Kush:
apr_27_12.jpg

Very Nice Looking Yield!!! Excellent!!! :Namaste:

Check your local grocery stores. In my area, I use Albertsons.

Good idea, Bass. :thanks:

Hey X

I have an OG18........Just need to finish a few before I try her. Glad your back.....you sure are busy! :high-five:

You should definitely grow that one out OMM - I really like the OG so far, and the OG 18 should be a bit of a better plant to grow yield-wise. It reminds me of my Chocolope I like so well as far as the way it helps with nerve pain - still getting a feel for it but it's great so far. I'll bet the OG18 is a real good one.

I'm probably not that busy, but it doesn't take much to wear me out lately, and a little seems like a lot. I'm so behind on your thread - will drop by when I get a moment. Thanks for dropping by my friend!

I like that Dead Head OG, its looking quite potent.

Very nice trim job too X. Well done.

I like the Dry Ice extraction method that Mr. Krip has in the video -- but where do you get the dry ice? I've not tried, but I'm not sure where to start even... But... I want to do that! +rep for sharing the video, Mr. K!

I get mine at my local supermarket. Most keep it on hand in a chest up front, locked so minors cannot hurt themselves with it.

Harvest looks good. Glad to hear the selective seeding worked for you.

One thing I don't get about the dry ice method. If we're turning the bucket upside down and doing all of our shake there, why do we really need the bucket after we turn it over?

Last time I made it, after a cpl mins I took the bag off the bucket while still upside down and set the bucket down and did my shaky shake over my glass dining table. Seemed to work just fine.

Fantastic harvest bud. We would all like bigger yields and more potent pot but we can all agree that having your own supply is hands down the best part of all. Way to go and am for sure lookin forward to the next round!

I get mine at my local supermarket. Most keep it on hand in a chest up front, locked so minors cannot hurt themselves with it.

One thing I don't get about the dry ice method. If we're turning the bucket upside down and doing all of our shake there, why do we really need the bucket after we turn it over?

Last time I made it, after a cpl mins I took the bag off the bucket while still upside down and set the bucket down and did my shaky shake over my glass dining table. Seemed to work just fine.

I also get dry ice at a local supermarket that has it in a chest up-front. The supermarket is part of a large chain, but not all their store locations sell dry ice, so you may want to call and ask first.

I did the same thing Bass did, too! :high-five:

I just shook the bags with the dry ice in the bag, but I do think it's good to start by letting the buds cool in the bucket first so the bags don't freeze from the ice then break when you shake it.

XLR8, fantasic harvest, my friend! :high-five:
+REPS!!!

I can't wait for the smoke report, but I can make a good prediction on that Deadhead OG! :yummy:
:welldone:

From my experience, the bucket is there so you can turn it back over and get the dry ice out of the mesh. Super cold will destroy that fine mesh if left there too long when clearing the surface between shakes. Plus it helps to turn it over after a while, and let the frozen condensation thaw and evaporate off the bag so as not to get ice covering the mesh and the bag. Also those tiny ice crystals fall off after a while and get into the keif which makes it hard to scrape up off the surface, and will make you let it dry out before pressing it into pucks.

Hey X my friend.

Sorry I haven't been around at all. I have had so much going on at home. Made some changes to my setup and hope they help. If you get a chance swing by my sativa grow journal. Have some odd shit going on.
Hope your feeling better now that you have your meds. Life can be a bitch without them.
Live well and feel better my friend!

Back
Top Bottom