Arteekay's Second Grow - Autos & Feminized - Mixed Strains

Well, I guess I can forgive you for that. :laughtwo: At least you had the good sense to make that choice arteekay. :circle-of-love:

I could think of dozens of better choices actually, present company absolutely included. :)

Ok arteekay, so part of your technique is strap them down until the tops get out past the perimeter of the pot? I'm watching closely to see how that D2 does. I need to double the yield on my next one.

After Britney's accident in our first grow, we gained enough confidence to start doing our first bit of training.

Rev was the first we actually manipulated, bending her main top right over at about week 4.

Her tribute post, take a look at her at 6 weeks:

Now imagine all those branches nearly horizontal, and what that would have looked like at Harvest:

We thought she looked awesome, was a ball to harvest. Literally, made us cry a bit she was so overpowering on the diesel smell.

The bats of bud looked cool at harvest, but everything below about 5 inches or so starts getting progressively more towards larfy popcorn. After five days of drying she produced some of our most airy buds.

We also later supercropped Candi:

Before:

After:

And then seeing this at seven weeks:

And again at harvest:

These were some of our most dense and full buds from our first grow, and everything else below about 5 inches of all the rest of the branches was progressively less so.

Lesson learned. Horizontal branches with just the nugs going vertical is the way to go if possible, for autos under our lights in our exact environment and with our general mojo or whatever else (Caveat Emptor). :)

SO.... getting out past the perimeter of the pot is a consequence but not really the goal.

I think of it as "promoting the popcorn". If we look at R2 from tonight:

Just about everything that's inside the perimeter of the pot could easily be considered popcorn if she was vertical. She'd be taller than she is now wide, as both the topping and fighting the restraints every day undoubtedly slows down her stretch.

After seeing how well we did with our second Early Miss (NEM) using this logic:

and comparing to our first Early Miss (Britney):

We decided to stick with it. NEM gave us just 20 grams less than Britney, but all of it was rock hard and honestly our best nugs yet.

Does that help explain the thought process I'm currently operating under?

:hug: :circle-of-love: :hug:

May I ask, why did you choose the CR for the scrog?

You may ask just about anything your huge sweet heart desires. :)

Our Crown Royale is the first photo period we've grown, and Jaybiz was hooked on the idea of the scrog from the hours of videos and pictures of how awesome it is. I think most scrogs you find will be photos, not sure how many have done autos in a scrog, but ya surely don't see it as often.

Really I'm trying to replicate the results of the scrog with the auto's training, but by pulling from below rather than resisting from above. I've thought about some ideas for building a frame for me to tie down to, as that is always a challenge. I don't want to our training to be locked to the tent or even the tray under the pot as I need to take them out and fawn over them each individually every day. :)

I too up'ed my feed PH to 6, now that I feed every watering I've noticed that at a PH of 6, plants are quite happy.

I'm thinking it's the cause of my clawing, we'll play. They seem to have outgrown it now.

Thank you arteekay. That was a wonderful answer, almost a master class. Well above and beyond the norm. It's after midnight and I should be able to hit you with reps again. :battingeyelashes: :love:

I won a Scrog with the MOTY, and somewhere along the way I need to try it out. That may have to wait until I relocate. I don't know if I want to tie myself down here that long. The Scrog will fill one of my 2x2 tents, so it's not something I can afford to be frivolous with, but I stop here almost every day to admire that CR, and I always go away thinking about how much I'd like to try a Carnival with that contraption.

Have either of you ventured a guess at what yield you anticipate from the CR? I know it's still early, but you guys have enough experience at this point that you must at least be guessing.

Thank you arteekay. That was a wonderful answer, almost a master class. Well above and beyond the norm. It's after midnight and I should be able to hit you with reps again. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Chomp!! +Reps are like nutes for me. :)

I won a Scrog with the MOTY, and somewhere along the way I need to try it out. That may have to wait until I relocate. I don't know if I want to tie myself down here that long. The Scrog will fill one of my 2x2 tents, so it's not something I can afford to be frivolous with, but I stop here almost every day to admire that CR, and I always go away thinking about how much I'd like to try a Carnival with that contraption.

Have either of you ventured a guess at what yield you anticipate from the CR? I know it's still early, but you guys have enough experience at this point that you must at least be guessing.

I think we'll do better than we did with the Jack Herer auto we harvested two weeks ago, and I expect to get close to a half pound off her. I'm gonna guess 10-12 ounces.

Good lord those are some huge buds! Way to go, man!

Thanks CMJJMC2k. :)

Happy Friday RTK

You sir are a natural :circle-of-love:
Another great update with fantastic explanations as to your line of thinking :bravo:

Still obsessing about them, maybe one day it'll just be natural. :)

That R2 is a phenomenal looking plant rtk. Just a beaut to look at. Keep up the great work guys! :roorrip:

She's finally starting to stretch up, thank god. I was really starting to get concerned about her size. Both our CKS Revolvers have been smaller plants, if the next one stays small as well I'll move the one after that back to a 3 gallon fabric pot.

Your R2 looks awesome guys. So are you converting this thread to perpetual or will you end it when the Crown Royal is harvested? Just curious.

Are those my only two choices? Honestly I debated whether we'd track the Purple Kush as part of our second grow or the third. I think I might just keep it going until we make another big change. New lights or medium maybe.

I guess I'm always too medicated.... But dis is true.... Lol. :volcano-smiley:

:high-five:

April 8 (Friday) Update.

Autos: Revolver 2 is 36 days old, Dark devil 2 is 25, and Lemon Skunk is 21. Temp peaked at 87 today with RH at 45% during lights on. They are on an 18/6 schedule and are 22-24 inches from their lights. Overnight temps were 67.

Photos: Crown Royale is 100 days old and Purple Kush is 3. CR is 11-15 inches below the Spider x4, Temp is 79 and RH is 52% at the canopy, 79 and 55% at the top, 68 overnight. CR is now 50 days since her flip to 12/12. PK is vegging in the corner of the auto tent.

• PK had her solo cup soaked with bubbled water at 163ppm and 5.7 PH

Spent probably a half hour cleaning out R2. She lost a couple dozen of her bigger fan leaves from the center and the lowest dozen or so nugs. She's still only about 5 inches tall, which kinda blows my mind honestly. D2 put on an easy inch since yesterday, and Lemon Skunk got spread out a little wider. She's got at least 6 main tops and hasn't stayed nearly as tight as the CKS strains.

CR didn't need anything but some admiration and a quick weight check.

Family pics:

PK (128 grams, 303 after watering tonight) Yeah, I ended up weighing her, anyone surprised?:

Forgot to take her picture, not really much we haven't all seen. She was our fastest germination, and seems to be doing well since. Didn't stretch as early as the Crown Royale did. We'll see in the next couple of days.

LS (12.6 lbs, down from 14.4 yesterday):

D2 (11.8 lbs, down from 14.6 yesterday):

after retraining:

R2 (11.2 lbs, down from 16.8 yesterday):

CR (26.8 lbs, down from 29.2 yesterday):

Back in the tent:

lettuce is looking good:

March 31 Update. Crown Royale is 92 days old, Revolver 2 is 28, Dark devil 2 is 17, and Lemon Skunk is 13 days old. CR is now 42 days since her flip to 12/12.

CR is 11-15 inches below the Spider x4, Temp is 79 and RH is 50% at the canopy, 78 and 54% at the top.

Temp for LS and R2/D2 peaked at 87 today with RH at 38% during lights on. They are on an 18/6 schedule and R2 is about 22 inches from the light, D2 is 23, and LS is 24 inches away.

• CR was soaked using 6 liters with 30 ml each of DNF Bloom A+B, 7 ml of GO CaMg+, and 1.6 g of DNF Bloom Fortifier at 997ppm and 5.7 PH.

We may have a problem. Seed found!

We've been drying our Jack Herer auto in the tent for four days. She's crispy dry today so we decided to jar her up and check her humidity. Once we got the total weight (230g so far, but that'll fall of course) we jarred her up and found this:

IMG_122238.JPG

Erg!!! Can't imagine this'll be the only one we find, and what's more disconcerting is neither of us noticed any nanners when we were harvesting, trimming, manicuring or jarring her up.

Not only that, she's been above our mid-flowering Crown Royale.

Ah well, too late to do much about it now, onto the next generation.

Our Second Dark Devil is 17 days old, hasn't had anything but tap water so far, and it seriously dark green and has suffered for water more than the rest. Nowhere near as healthy looking as our first one was at the same age. Ah well, maybe she'll have spent the time building huge webs of roots.

Debated heavily whether I was going to top the Lemon Skunk Auto, in the end I decided to just do it. In for a penny...

Family pics:

LS (7.2 lbs, down from 7.8 after watering yesterday):

Lost her head:

D2 (6.6 lbs, down from 7.8 yesterday) I'm going down to re-evaluate her after this post, she needs water:

R2 (14.8 lbs, down from 17.8 yesterday) Using 3 lbs a day consistently now. She's clawing a bit as well, went a bit heavy on the grow nutes last time:

This is kind crazy to me, she's 1.25 inches tall at her topping.

CR (19.8 lbs down from 21.8 yesterday, 32.6 lbs after watering tonight) Hopefully not spending her time building Jack Herer Crown Royale crossed seeds:

Back in the tent:

Ohhh yeah. I'm loving the looks of that Crown Royale! Very nice indeedy. Can't wait to see the end results of this one. And I guess you'll be entering in the POTM again lol?:goodjob:

What's up RTK and the Bizz :blunt: im finally caught up on subscriptions and I always save the best for last. The training looks great guys, they're going to make some very nice canopies. The matured plants look fantastic as usual... :high-five:

Congratulations on the purple Kush seedling, is that an auto?

Not sure if you two have had the chance to check out my NEW Perpetual Journal, Stinky Snid's Nursery and Flower Shop is now open to the public. Swing on by and check out the inventory :thumb:

KiG Brothers :green_heart:Cheers

Ohhh yeah. I'm loving the looks of that Crown Royale! Very nice indeedy. Can't wait to see the end results of this one. And I guess you'll be entering in the POTM again lol?:goodjob:

Hey PP9, A little hint. You can reply to a post without re-posting all the pictures. I do it all the time. Highlight any or all the pictures you don't want, hit your delete button. If there is a picture in the post I want to comment on, I leave it and discard the rest. I hope this is of some help
HOZ

lettuce is the thing man ! R2, CR are nice too :D

The hardest part of this hobby is the patience required. CR's in her final days and her changes aren't as noticable day over day. R2 is right at the fun stage, when all the structure we've spent 5 weeks building gets put to the usage test.

The lettuce is doing better than we hoped, although we've tried none of it yet.

Star of David is looking excellent rtk. A screen less scrog. Gonna give CR a run for her money. Are those tomatoes in the corners? They seem to be a bit unhappy. But you are right the lettuce is looking great!

Ha, I noticed that the other day as well, the only thing throwing it off is the two double tops on the one end. I should have trimmed a bit more and stretched her more rectangular, but she stayed small for so long I lost the plan a bit.

For someone who argued against training in the early stages of our first grow I'm sure loving it now. I've been sneaking down hours after we're done "the process" for the night and readjusting here and there. Can't help myself.

Yeah as for the tomatoes. Apparently we can't grow 'em! They've looked terrible their entire life and Jaybiz gave up on them yesterday. I needed the space back anyway. It's funny to us though that we kept reading about how growing Cannabis was way harder than growing tomatoes.

Mind you, if we can only grow one or the other, I'm glad it went the direction it did! :)

:high-five:

We're wildly excited about our first scrog, it went better than either of us hoped.

I haven't entered NotM or PotM yet, not sure if and when we might consider a plant or nug worthy of it. There's so many incredible growers here, and we're so baby fresh still.

What's up RTK and the Bizz :blunt: im finally caught up on subscriptions and I always save the best for last. The training looks great guys, they're going to make some very nice canopies. The matured plants look fantastic as usual... :high-five:

Congratulations on the purple Kush seedling, is that an auto?

Not sure if you two have had the chance to check out my NEW Perpetual Journal, Stinky Snid's Nursery and Flower Shop is now open to the public. Swing on by and check out the inventory :thumb:

KiG Brothers :green_heart:Cheers

Snid my man! Glad to see ya. I'm so far behind on my subscriptions now it's just embarrassing. That said, I'll be sure to sub up to the nursery if I'm not already.

The Purple Kush is our second photoperiod. The plan is to veg her out until the Crown clears the scrog she's in and she'll flower under the spider the same as our first photo.

I think we'll just keep cycling in autos in the one tent and end this journal and our "second" grow with whatever's close to the PK's finish.

Nice job on CR that screen is packed! And those look like some healthy plants. Really nice!

April 9 (Saturday) Update.

Autos: Revolver 2 is 37 days old, Dark devil 2 is 26, and Lemon Skunk is 22. Temp peaked at 89 today with RH at 40% during lights on. They are on an 18/6 schedule and are 22-24 inches from their lights. Overnight temps were 69.

Photos: Crown Royale is 101 days old and Purple Kush is 4. CR is 11-15 inches below the Spider x4, Temp is 79 and RH is 47% at the canopy, 79 and 50% at the top, 69 overnight. CR is now 51 days since her flip to 12/12. PK is vegging in the corner of the auto tent.

• R2 got soaked with her first bloom nutes at half strength (6 liters with 15 ml each of DNF Bloom A+B and 4 ml of GO MgCa+ at 617ppm and 5.7 PH
  • D2 got soaked with her first grow nutes at quarter strength (6 liters with 7.5 ml each of DNF Gro A+B and 2 ml of calmag+ at 412ppm and 5.7 PH

Our Second revolver was pretty droopy for her morning, likely in a bit of shock from yesterday's defol and lollipopping plus being nearly empty on water. Our Purple Kush was also looking a bit droopy after yesterday's watering, we'll let her dry out well next time, likely before she gets moved into a proper pot. We transplanted the Crown Royale the first time at 15 days, then again a week later at 22. That doesn't feel right. I think we'll shoot for somewhere around 12 days in the solo, then again around day 25 maybe?

Suggestions there are welcome. Our experience is still mostly with autos in their final pot from day zero.

Family pics:

CR (22.8 lbs, down from 26.8 yesterday):

R2 (8.4 lbs down from 11.2 yesterday, 21.2 lbs after watering tonight):

D2 (8.6 lbs down from 11.8 yesterday, 21 lbs after watering tonight):

Before:

After tucking and retraining:

LS (10 lbs, down from 12.6 yesterday):

Before:

After tucking and retraining:

PK (270 grams, down from 330 I think? didn't use a lot today):

Back in the tent:

Edit: Forgot about the other news of the day..

CKS Candy Cane (C3) went for a bath this afternoon:

Harvest Update

Previous dry weight posts:

Our first CKS Jack Herer autoflower was harvested two weeks ago tonight, and was slowly lowered to 68% RH in jars following a five day hanging. This is the dryness I've been getting my "final" weights from since we started and since it smokes just fine I'll accept it as final.

We've given away at least a half ounce before it was full dry, we added 8 to tonight's on-scale weight to compensate a bit for it.

:yahoo: We cracked 200 g, which has been a goal for a couple plants now. CKS claims "up to 250 g indoors", so we're getting close.

Running totals:

PlantWeight (grams)
DD​
NEM​
JH​
Total457.2

So we've hit 16 ounces with the first three plants from this grow, and hit 21 for our first grow of 6 plants. Unless we only get 5 ounces off the Crown Royale, which I think is pretty unlikely, we'll easily beat our first grow with a third fewer plants.

:party:

Back
Top Bottom