Should Contest Voting Be Anonymous or Transparent?

Should Contest Voting Be Anonymous or Transparent?

• Anonymous

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • Transparent

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
I would like to say I'm sorry as I never considered that anything I could do would be helpful, I'm always stuck on thinkin' how useless
There's always something that people learn from each other dont be so hard on yourself. You'd be surprised how many lurkers probably take something away from the way you do things . There are varying levels of knowledge in this group and everyone will learn a little something from everyone if they are willing to keep an open mind and pay attention.
Dont be afraid to participate 👍

Hi all! This is a little hard for me to do, but I think this is important, so I’m going to let my feelings fly. I’m a fan of anonymity. In my time here, I’ve been pressured to vote by members via IG, but I’d rather sit it out than be pressured to vote for anyone. I’ve also been treated badly by a friend because I didn’t vote for them. In a perfect world, we would all be adult enough to accept that sort thing, but let’s be real, not everyone is good at feelings. It became easier for me to just stay out of it altogether. And the last one - there has been times that it felt more like a popularity contest, than being about the work, and that defeats the whole purpose. Whew, complaints over! 😵‍💫😮‍💨

If it were up to me, I would make it blind voting all the way around. Contest entries submitted via DM, an unveiling of all the entries (numbered, not named) in the contest threads on the 15th. Members come look at the entries and vote at the same time, which could help alleviate people forgetting to come back after the 15th too. Whatever ends up happening, I’m really glad to see this being talked about by everyone in a constructive way. :love: Thanks for taking the time to hear everyone out 420!

If it were up to me, I would make it blind voting all the way around. Contest entries submitted via DM, an unveiling of all the entries (numbered, not named) in the contest threads on the 15th. Members come look at the entries and vote at the same time, which could help alleviate people forgetting to come back after the 15th too. Whatever ends up happening, I’m really glad to see this being talked about by everyone in a constructive way. :love: Thanks for taking the time to hear everyone out 420!
@Heavenly Hybrid I thought the same way till I realized most people that follow a few of their friends journals or threads will most likely recognize their photos anyway.

@Heavenly Hybrid I thought the same way till I realized most people that follow a few of their friends journals or threads will most likely recognize their photos anyway.
Oh for sure! In my eyes, it’s about creating the opportunity for people who actually want to be objective, to choose which entry is the best; and alleviate that pressure to vote for a friend because you see their name, feeling the pull of loyalty. If a member is determined to only vote for their friend, then they will find a way to do so, no matter what 420 does. Ultimately, just making votes anonymous will accomplish a lot of that goal, I just thought a little pizazz and showmanship on the 15th would be fun and drive engagement with a big reveal - IF it wasn’t more trouble than it’s worth, of course!

his is a little hard for me to do, but I think this is important, so I’m going to let my feelings fly. I’m a fan of anonymity. In my time here, I’ve been pressured to vote by members via IG, but I’d rather sit it out than be pressured to vote for anyone. I’ve also been treated badly by a friend because I didn’t vote for them

This is some of the exact stuff I was referencing when I said people don’t feel comfortable for a variety of reasons. This is outlandish and absurd. To think that another adult would not only reach out on IG (which is very obviously a transparent attempt to skirt the rules of no self promotion) but would also treat someone badly because of their objective opinion is absolutely unacceptable to me. Whoever it was I truly hope they see my thoughts on how childish and immature that is. This person may need to see a professional to sort through their compulsion to make others uncomfortable for personal benefit.

That shouldn’t be happening anywhere, but especially in a community based on helping one another. I’m sorry you had to deal with that, but I’m glad you said something. This way, others who may not realize this kind of thing is occurring can be a little more understanding as to why this is even an issue to begin with.

I’m sorry you had to deal with that, but I’m glad you said something. This way, others who may not realize this kind of thing is occurring can be a little more understanding as to why this is even an issue to begin with.
Thank you and @Lady Cannafan for supporting me, I truly appreciate it. 💗

I do want to clarify a little because I don’t want to misrepresent the situation(s). I’ve been a member here for several years and I was summarizing my separate, some years old, experiences with different people. Some of it came from innocent mistakes and some when feelings were hurt. I’m understanding that we’re all people and sometimes competition doesn’t bring out our best qualities, we get caught up in wanting to win, or feeling embarrassed if results are poor, etc. so I don’t want any of this to come off as attacks and I don’t want to stir any pots. I only want to share my personal aversions to the transparent voting style, nothing more. 😌:love:

Hi GrowStars

I’m a bit late to this party. Personally I’m all about transparency in voting. I’m out and proud and have no problems voting for the pic I feel is best. I have 100% voted for plants/nugs of posters I don’t even like or even know on a personal level coz I thought they were best. While I have voted for posters I actually love, it has always been based on what I thought was best. The pic/nug/journal/poster I thought was awesome.

I also have no problem with staff voting. Why shouldn’t they be allowed to be included? Just coz your staff doesn’t mean you are uninterested in participating in which plant/nug/journal you think is best.

For me the thing I like least about the comps is the in house arguing. It’s so. fucking. embarrassing, while I do love reading the spilled tea, I cringe when I read it. Till this forum I didn’t even realise men behaved in this way! Not even joking lol! Whinging and whining “it’s not fair” like a two year old having a tantrum. I will say I’ve loved the fact for the last few months the comps have been positive. For me it’s not about winning, it’s about supporting 420 Mag and celebrating and sharing as a community. Sharing and celebrating triumphs, sharing and celebrating buds that made you smile, sharing and celebrating posters and journals that have inspired you.

I’m happy to cruise with the majority, and it looks like the majority like to vote in secret, and that’s okay with me :)

Thank you and @Lady Cannafan for supporting me, I truly appreciate it. 💗

I do want to clarify a little because I don’t want to misrepresent the situation(s). I’ve been a member here for several years and I was summarizing my separate, some years old, experiences with different people. Some of it came from innocent mistakes and some when feelings were hurt. I’m understanding that we’re all people and sometimes competition doesn’t bring out our best qualities, we get caught up in wanting to win, or feeling embarrassed if results are poor, etc. so I don’t want any of this to come off as attacks and I don’t want to stir any pots. I only want to share my personal aversions to the transparent voting style, nothing more. 😌:love:
You are so classy.

I would have told them to get fucked. Lolling!

I really don’t understand the level of seriousness of some posters when it comes to the competitions. It’s not like you can put it on your resume, or rule a country based on votes. It’s meant to be joyous. It’s meant to be fun. It’s meant to be exciting. It’s meant to bring us together as a community. It’s a good thing.

Anyone who has hurt feelings coz their picture/ journal wasn’t a winner needs to look within. Coz it says more about them than it does about the voters. Well I think it does.

Lol, what you call classy, I call chicken-shit! 😆 💗
I’m mad by proxy. I hate you were put in that position. I hate you felt trapped. I hate you felt intimidated.

Shitty people always pick kind people to try and manipulate. You’re not chicken shit. You are conscious of peoples feelings, you don’t want to cause upset, you worry about your actions how they will be perceived. You are nice. That’s why people like that try their shit on you. It’s not a you problem. It’s a them problem.

And if you don’t feel brave enough to stand up. Speak up. Just know I will stand with you and help you speak your truth every day of the week.

You are not the one who needs to change. Xo

@Trala is gangster! Says it how it is, regardless of what anyone thinks. I find it satisfying. Not many people speak their mind enough.
Well that’s super nice to read. I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, which is fine by me coz I drink coffee! lol!

When it comes to people, I don’t really care what you think of me. I’m always far more interested in what I think of you lolling! I learned the hard way this can be dangerous in a forum environment, when private conversations are made public. Even if the person you are whispering to are saying the same thing as you lolling! But if I say it, I own it. I take responsibility for it. This means I often have to apologise for being a nasty human.

And if you’re wondering OGpapa, I think you’re a great member and a good guy :)

Well that’s super nice to read. I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, which is fine by me coz I drink coffee! lol!

When it comes to people, I don’t really care what you think of me. I’m always far more interested in what I think of you lolling! I learned the hard way this can be dangerous in a forum environment, when private conversations are made public. Even if the person you are whispering to are saying the same thing as you lolling! But if I say it, I own it. I take responsibility for it. This means I often have to apologise for being a nasty human.

And if you’re wondering OGpapa, I think you’re a great member and a good guy :)
Awww shucks!:adore:

Back
Top Bottom