Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow 6.5

SteveHman's Advanced LED - 1000 Watt/BP Nutrients - Going For Max Yield Grow-Grow 6.5

OK, now that I have Grow 6.0 well under way and have a minute to get the tent up and going, it's time to start yet another journal!

This one will be Grow 6.5 (since I am already a week past the start of 6.0, I decided to call it 6.5, no other reason).

I will be growing in my 4x4 Secret Jardin tent, using 3.4 gal airpots filled with coco-perlite.

For nutrients, I will be using the Blue Planet lines. Their 2-part, 3-part and Organic!

I have chosen two heavy yielders (according to the seedbank). I have four each of Heavy Duty Fruity and The Ultimate. I may add a few smaller pots in there with the extra clones I have, but these eight plants make up the basis of the tests.

For lighting, I have two each of the Diamond Series 200w and 300w for a total of 1,000 watts of Advanced LED intensity going on.

I will be getting my CO2 monitor/controller on Monday to keep the CO2 levels where they need to be. I also now have a temp-controlled fan controller. I have been using the basic cycle timer in the past, but had no idea of what my actual PPMs were, so now we'll know.

I am starting them off in the veg-mode for the first few weeks. I may also try the GLR routine to keep the electric costs down.

The plan is to veg these out and LST them until I have a complete circle around the top of each air pot, then I will FIM the tops once, wait another week and then flip them into flower.

So, what am I trying to accomplish with these tests?

1) Is it possible to get 1gpw with an LED
    2) Is the expense in time and electricity worth the extra veg time (what is my yield per grow day?)
    3) How well will the Air Pots work with coco/perlite as the medium
    4) Which of the --- lines will provide the best yield and quality (in this type of setup)

I started off by lining my Air Pots with some coco-tek 1/4 inch matting. I did this to prevent the media from falling out the bottom. It will allow the roots to penetrate and still air-prune:

I used the trim pieces of the mat to create "wicks" that will draw nutrients from the catch pan, this may or may not work. But, if it does work, will allow me to place an inch of R/O water in the pan if I have to leave for a few days. At least it will keep the girls form going thirsty. I do intend to remove the excess nutes after watering so that I don't get "cross-contamination" from the other nutes.

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

I packed the Air Pots tightly with the coco mix. Their website shows a video of a guy looking like he is ramming the soil in with all his might and they stress to pack it tightly. After I packed them as tightly as I could, I cut another piece of coco-mat to use on the top to prevent channeling.

I hung the four DS lights in a configuration I think will give the best coverage. (as a side note, I think that two of the 300s is adequate for a 4x4 tent--but we're going for max-yield here!).

I place the clones into their new homes. Heavy Duty Fruity on the left and The Ultimate on the right:

I gave them a light feeding, and will start the LST on Monday after they've had a few days to acclimate to their new home.

There is a lot of space in there still, so I am thinking of adding a few of the other clones to fill in the corners. Maybe the BUKU or the White Widow, decisions, decisions.

Re: SteveHman's Advanced LED, 1,000 watt/BP Nutrients, going for max yield grow-Grow

I will be putting about two inches of hydroton on top of the coco mat as well, it may be over kill, but what the heck, I have a bag of it.

One thing I noticed is when watering, go slowly. The Air Pots do like to "drain" from the side holes near the top. I think water slowly toward the center is the ticket.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012

Subbed!

Heya Stevehman, did you look up that defoliating for hi-yield technique I mentioned before? It's a huge 150 page thread but the op claims 12oz per plant in hydro iirc. Obviously hydro isnt a must as the theory still applies in the defoliation.

I will defoliate a little bit to increase the penetration. Once the LST is finished I will let them stretch and then do the 420fied defoliation on day 21 and 45. I don't want to deal with little popcorn fluff when I trim these girls. I am expecting them to be beastly.

420 Member

in like Flynn!

420 Member

Reporting for duty sir!

Blog Entries

- JZ

"He righteously executed those twinks, when they showed their junk off." - Propa Gator
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jozo-sha's 4/20 Journal
    SteveHman's LED Buyer's Guide JZ's Simple Guide to using Molasses
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Rock The 420 Vote: Member/Plant/Nug of The Month - YOUR VOTE COUNTS!

420 Member

Is that a no pest strip in there? It shows in pics 4 and 6

Total dry yield prediction: 1350g

That is left from grow 5.1. I had it there as a preventative measure, I thought I had seen a gnat. Only saw one but wasn't taking any chances. I'll be removing it for this grow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

420 Member

Got to love another show by the man. Count me in!

SteveHman I'm in! I have one suggestion though. For testing purposes can you not put hydroton on top of the coco mat in one of the pots?

The reason I ask is because I believe that you will absolutely kill it with using the coco mat only. A friend says that his best yield so far has been with using rockwool blocks on top of the 1" coco mats. He thinks the coco mats are what's doing it so if you can help prove the myth that would be great. I'm just asking you to consider it, thanks man! I'm subbed by the way. Reps!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHman View Post
    I will be putting about two inches of hydroton on top of the coco mat as well, it may be over kill, but what the heck, I have a bag of it.

One thing I noticed is when watering, go slowly. The Air Pots do like to "drain" from the side holes near the top. I think water slowly toward the center is the ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4twenty4all View Post
    SteveHman I'm in! I have one suggestion though. For testing purposes can you not put hydroton on top of the coco mat in one of the pots?

The reason I ask is because I believe that you will absolutely kill it with using the coco mat only. A friend says that his best yield so far has been with using rockwool blocks on top of the 1" coco mats. He thinks the coco mats are what's doing it so if you can help prove the myth that would be great. I'm just asking you to consider it, thanks man! I'm subbed by the way. Reps!
    Already planned to do that. I think it will help keep the evaporation down (at least from the top).

420 Member

You kind fellow are in two words....."DA MAN!!!!" Awesome set up cannot wait to see results awesome awesome awesome.....on a sad note, oldest plant of mine turned out a boy, however, back on a positive my two starts got transplanted to their new geo 1 gal pot. So far great reactions towards the 180w advanced led. might have transplanted a little early but ah what the heck.

You amaze me

420 Member

I'm intrigued by this Steve. Using the coco mat with the airpot seems like a great idea, especially how you used the bottom piece as a wick also.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast