420 Magazine's Official Seedsman Comparative Grow Featuring Banana Jealousy

You can actually find that information on the seedsman.com site.
@SeedsMan provided some phenotype info...

Banana Jealousy // generally 2 phenos. 1 green, sweeter + very fruity with little gas + no funk, 1 purple not as strong as the green on the fruit aroma with a bit more funk, more gelato/creamy.

but hasn't provided terpene profile(s). A terpene profile is a lab test result showing the amounts of individual terpenes.

A terpene profile can help determine indica/sativa characteristics, and also fungus/mold resistance potential.

Throwing my hat into the ring for the chance to get my hands on those Banana Jealousy Strain seeds from @SeedsofMan!

With over a decade of growing experience under my belt, I like to think I've cultivated quite a green thumb. From my past cannabis to the organic garden I do, I've been around the block (or should I say the garden) a few times.

I'm all about sharing the love and knowledge of growing. You can count on me to provide regular updates, complete with genetics breakdowns and care tips. Plus, I'm not afraid to tackle the pesky pests and those sneaky deficiencies head-on.

Let's make this journey together, one bud at a time! 🌱🍌 #BananaJealousy #SeedsofMan #GrowWithLove #RealLife

I plan to grow part in a greenhouse, and part indoors. This is ok?

Current Grow
LOS BruceBanner & GrandMommyPurple SIPs
Past Grow
Bubba-Glue-Unknown-SIP-Bottom-feeding-

st
@SeedsMan provided some phenotype info...

but hasn't provided terpene profile(s). A terpene profile is a lab test result showing the amounts of individual terpenes.

A terpene profile can help determine indica/sativa characteristics, and also fungus/mold resistance potential.
Im still trying to put my hands on it and as soon as i do i will be sharing the info. Dont want to be giving out the wrong information to you .

Has anyone figured out how many plants are required yet? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:
Screenshot_20240217_103211_Chrome~2.jpg

• Banana Jealousy // generally 2 phenos. 1 green, sweeter + very fruity with little gas + no funk, 1 purple not as strong as the green on the fruit aroma with a bit more funk, more gelato/creamy. I had no issues of bud rot or mildew when I grew last outdoor season. I live in Virginia near the coast so we get hot temps and high humidity the whole season.
So, Banana Jealousy is a three-way cross of Banana Cream, Jealousy and Gelato 41. Each of these parents can throw different known phenos. Banana Cream is known as indica dominant. Same for Jealousy. Gelato 41 is known as indica dominant, but may have sativa effects. But the thing is, each of these parents consists of both sativa and indica genetics. Each will throw at least 2 phenos, and those can be either sativa leaning, indica leaning, or 50/50. If it's 50/50, then sometimes you'll see a 50/50 having sativa effects. It's a common thing for one strain, i.e. one seed line, to throw both an indica dominant pheno and a sativa dominant pheno.

If Banana Jealousy has two predominant phenos, then each of those phenos are either sativa leaning, indica leaning, or 50/50. There may be other phenos. (It's not uncommon for well-known, stable seed lines to produce 4 phenos or more.) So, there's no information on the Seedsman page about the sativa/indica characteristics of the phenotypes of Banana Jealousy – only that it's a "hybrid".

Here's where terpene profiles come in. Keep in mind that a terpene profile only costs $25 from some labs (e.g. MCRLabs). So, it's not difficult to obtain. Terpene profiles are like the fingerprints of cannabis. If we know the terpene profiles of the phenotypes, then we have clues to both the indica/sativa growth characteristics and the fungus/mold resistance. We also have clues to the effects being either indica effects or sativa effects, or a mix (50/50) with either sativa effects or not. (In terms of fungus/mold resistance, it also helps to know if a pheno is a high resin producer.)

So, in my mind, terpene profiles are very important to the grower and user, and yet seed sellers usually don't focus on this. Instead, seed sellers tend to focus on one phenotype and advertise that phenotype. Sometimes they'll include a terp profile for that one phenotype. At least in this case, Seedsman has indicated that there are 2 phenos, but in my experience sellers (and breeders) usually just mention one phenotype (actually, they don't even mention the word "phenotype"). From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense – i.e. the buyer thinks they are getting guaranteed, consistent results from the seeds, meaning a sativa plant, an indica plant, or something in between, with known growth characteristics, effects, and resistance. It's simply not true – results vary depending on which phenotype grows from the seed.

Taking a look at Purple Ghost Candy, Seedsman says it's a hybrid, 60% sativa and 40% indica, with high resin production. They also provide a terpene profile. So, the implication is that there's just one phenotype, but of course there's more than one. Here's the one terpene profile provided for Purple Ghost Candy:

1708388918095.png

This pheno doesn't look like a sativa dominant pheno to me. It looks like an indica dominant pheno. I.e. it will have predominantly indica-type effects. The reason being the ratio of pine to non-pine terpenes. Pinene is uplifting and associated with sativa effects. (There's actually a whole host of pine terpenes in cannabis, which are associated with sativas, but there's only pinene present in this terp profile.) Total pinene, 2.4 mg/g. The main non-pine terpenes are caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene, and humulene – total 15.4 mg/g. This terpene profile also indicates to me minimal fungus/mold resistance.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass here, but this is how I see the situation. As someone who is interested in specific effects – indica or sativa effects – and keenly interested in fungus/mold resistance, I'd like to see terpene profiles for all phenos. I actually have a list of 7 strains that I'm interested in growing, and for each of them I've researched the known phenotypes and studied the terpene profiles. I know that when I grow those seeds out, I'm looking for specific phenotypes that have promising profiles for high fungus/mold resistance.

:ciao:

Back
Top Bottom