A Low Budget Micro TLA Grow - With Added LED - Two Cream Caramel Photo Period

Welcome to 420 and thank you :welcome::thanks:

I have only grown with CFL before so that I didn’t have to deal with the heat created by ‘proper’ lights in confined spaces, but I was very envious of the ‘snow-dusting’ effect that others achieved, when it came time to replace my two 300w CFL bulbs I thought it was worth the risk of spending almost the same money on cheap Chinese LEDs.

They are 180w, 60 3w lights, 40 Red 20 Blue, there was very little other information, but they were cheap, £115. They got me on the bottom rung of the ladder, I am aware of all the bad press and warnings but they couldn’t be worse than CFL could they? I’ll know in a couple of months.

:passitleft:

Hey thanks Ajagunle.

Worse than CFL? well, it's possible, if they lacked spectrum. I think that's one of the strong suits of CFL, is great spectrum. The downside is the diffuse, omni directional lighting - and I guess the heat on the bigger bulbs? Oh, and that you have to replace them often.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your gals flower!

Hey aj coming along nicely, I'm really thinking about taking the LED route one day, I really like the results members get from them, they definitely beat cfls.

Hi Dank, I think the much lower heat produced would be ideal for your garden!:thumb:

TDS has risen to the low 390s so I have diluted with water to around 370, I will check in 12 hrs, ph left at 5.9 res temp is 72f with a heater. I have also added a second air stone on the NFT shelf attached to the same air pump as the one in the res.

There is still some room in the middle!

hole_in_the_middle.jpg

your plant is so pretty and happy. where did you buy those bulb clamps and how much were they?

:nicethread: AJ. I've seen your LIKES. We finally meet. Subbed

your plant is so pretty and happy. where did you buy those bulb clamps and how much were they?

Thank you, :thanks: they do look happy don't they!

I got them from fleabay, I got 5 or 6 for less than £20, 'clip-on lamp holder BC' I think.

:nicethread: AJ. I've seen your LIKES. We finally meet. Subbed

Hi Reg, nice to meet you too! I hope you don't mind me looking over your shoulder in silence!

:passitleft:

Ph had dropped from a stable 5.9 to 5.4 in a 12 hour period, TDS was still about 370. When this has happened previously it has been due to organic ‘stuff’ in the res which results in algae collecting in the pump filter. Filter has been cleaned and replaced, there was some minor algae, but very little. Unfortunately I have had to use ph Up to adjust to 5.9.

Cleaning the pump filter may have resolved the falling ph, still at 5.9 today. TDS has dropped to 348 (lowest reading) so I have added 1 ml of v eg nutes which puts it at 390. It stands to reason that if conditions are correct for a period of time they will eat at their quickest but still surprised how quickly it dropped.

Canopy_13_12_13_a.jpg

I have managed to tuck a few tall branches into empty squares, remove shading leaves and remove some of the fluff below screen. I should really remove the screen and clear more but I am too busy with all the procrastination that there is at this time of year.

Underskirts_a.jpg

Tops_13_12_13.jpg

The Northern Lights Big Bud Auto is budding nicely under the LEDs, just sitting on the edge of the footprint and turned every day, so 1 side is not always in the shade, although I may stop rotating it, 1 side will always be in the shade but the other side will get the good stuff 100% of the time?

NLBB_c.jpg

The leaves have a 'thickness' and colour (or tone) I cannot achieve with CFL, a tinge of the High Brix effect almost, this could be the strain or it could be another benefit of LED? She is about 18" high.

NLBB_b.jpg

TDS was still falling, very slightly, set at 390, so I increased to 400. Ph is still stable at 5.9, I will lower it to 5.7 tomorrow for 24hrs.

Canopy_14_12_13.jpg

I removed a dozen or so of the larger shading leaves and manipulated 1 or 2 tops to empty squares, not many empty and not many with more than 1. I also removed some more under skirts fluff.

Sideview_14_13_13.jpg

I have used small pieces of sponge to keep tops near the centre of any squares where I have tucked them a little early and the wire is now in the way of growth.

Sponges_14_12_13.jpg

Most importantly, I made a management decision and changed the timer to 12/12!
:party:

I do not have a record of when the seeds were sown but it was mid-October when I took the first photos. 70 days in flower will be celebrated on my Birthday! :party::party::rollit::rollit:

One 12 hour night into flowering, I have removed 2 or 3 leaves from the tallest shoots, the canopy is looking reasonably level or flat, a couple of holes, but very early days, or the earliest day!

Canopy_15_12_13.jpg

The res is down to the 5l mark, TDS is about 390, I added 6l water with Bloom nutes and Fulvic acid, I raised TDS to 420 and lowered ph to 5.7.

:hookah:

Hey ajagunle! :ciao: I finally made it here! Congratulations on switching to 12/12 and the perfect timing of it for you.:thumb:
I will be following along the rest of your grow here. It looks great. I'm very jealous of that LED!
Have a great Monday, or a good Monday....however Monday's are for you. LOL I HATE Mondays. It's actually in my book of 4 letter words. LOL

Thanxx for dropping by THE REPS ARE RIGHT yesterday AJ.

wow looking great AJ!! thats going to be a nice full screen in a few weeks:bravo:

Hi Jon, good to see you now you are having a short break from journaling.

When the stretch starts I will only tuck the tallest shoots and then let them go for it, I think I need to keep some edge space empty for fans, I now have so much room once I managed to sample enough ‘Fuck It’ and bought the LEDs!

I hope your new room is going well! :thumb:

Hey ajagunle! :ciao: I finally made it here! Congratulations on switching to 12/12 and the perfect timing of it for you.:thumb:
I will be following along the rest of your grow here. It looks great. I'm very jealous of that LED!
Have a great Monday, or a good Monday....however Monday's are for you. LOL I HATE Mondays. It's actually in my book of 4 letter words. LOL

Hello Cannafan!

I do love your Avatar, I did read your explanation of where you got it a while back, tremendous picture! If it was on a T-shirt I would buy it! (Hint Hint)

I am having a Great Monday following a good start!:lot-o-toke:

I will do my best avoiding Fmon! For the rest of the year!

If you are willing to take a gamble LEDs can be quite affordable! I am going to find out if the ‘affordable Chinese LEDs’ are capable of producing better Bud than CFL, they certainly do the business with Autos!!

Back
Top Bottom