AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

THE REPS ARE RIGHT Will Start AT 6:00 pm EST... Approximately 1hr & 20mins from this post

29/12/13

FLOWER DAY 60

Good Morning 420. Due to some change in my schedule, I have come back early (yesterday) and am glad to report that EVERYTHING is running on point. Hope everyone had a splendid holiday and the the best for the upcoming New Year :hippie:

Good job man! Proper planning paid off for you.

29/12/13

FLOWER DAY 60

Good Morning 420. Due to some change in my schedule, I have come back early (yesterday) and am glad to report that EVERYTHING is running on point. Hope everyone had a splendid holiday and the the best for the upcoming New Year :hippie:

20131228_080053.jpg

I came back to find 10 gallons of waste in the 22 gallon tote, and about 20-25 gallons of fresh nutrient in the 45 gallon tote ;) pH was at a steady 5.9, and PPM read at 980. The waste nutrient had a pH of 7.2 and a PPM of 866.

I went through the process of flushing both plants of any salt build up the 1minute long (non-recirculating) feedings must have caused. Now I am going to be using the rest of the 20-25 gallons of fresh nutrients at about 10 gallons at a time in the smaller tote. By the looks of things, I will probably be stretching past 11 weeks of flower.

The buds have all swelled since I last saw them, and I have a feeling that they still have a LOT more fattening up to go. It's nice not being able to anticipate a 'new' strain's growth patterns, the Bubb has been throwing me left and right hooks from the beginning :)

20131228_080403.jpg
20131228_080354.jpg
20131228_080249.jpg
20131228_080118.jpg

The Bagseed

20131228_080151.jpg
20131228_080605.jpg
20131228_080432.jpg
20131228_080421.jpg

WEEKLY TRICHOMES

Now I was expecting to start a flush on the bagseed this weekend, but it still looks to me that it has more time. I can't seem to spot any amber trichomes on either plant, but a collection of mostly cloudy and clear ones. What do you guys think?

Bubb

[video=youtube_share;AsTwvwFgkqI]
[/video]

Bagseed

[video=youtube_share;UFISyMnFgmM]
[/video]

High AG,
One of the pics looks like the plant or plants are hungry, how many mls per gallon of CA/MG do u use?
Hope u and URS have a smokin year

He switched to CaliMagic, and just today I got some and will be following his lead.

High AG,
One of the pics looks like the plant or plants are hungry, how many mls per gallon of CA/MG do u use?
Hope u and URS have a smokin year

Hey Sling, thanks for your concern! I feed 5ml/gallon of CaMg. If you are noticing some yellowing on the edges of the leaves then you are right when you say they look hungry for some CaMg. But I'm certain that these are the remnants of my of my Mg deficiency 2 weeks ago. All new growth seems to be in the clear.

I want to wish all my people on 420 a Happy New Year. It's 2014, and there's nothing else but to do things BIGGER & BETTER:peace:

Happy New Year

4/01/14

FLOWER DAY 66

Hi all. Hope the New Year is going great so far, only 4 days in and prospects are high! So it is Day 66 in flower and I will be chopping down the bagseed (FINALLY) tomorrow. IT has shown a fair amount of amber trichome concentration, and my sample I smoked a couple of weeks ago had me on my ass.

20140104_081911_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

In preparation for the chop, I have been reducing feed by 100 PPM every few days and have leveled out at 550 today. I will do a final flush tonight. I have dropped the Bubb feed down to 850 PPM in preparation for chop in 2 weeks time. Both FloraBlend and the Heisenburg Tea have been excluded form the schedule for the past week now, and won't be used until next seasons grow. I have been able to go without adjusting my pH for 3 days at a time.

Here are some bagseed shots. It has really swollen up since I exposed it to more light a week ago.

20140104_084100.jpg
20140104_084048.jpg
20140104_084039.jpg

Now the Bubb is ripening up pretty fast from the bottom upwards on most colas. Notice the red arrow pointing to what looks like the first picture I posted on this journal. The blue arrow is showing fresh pistils still lagging behind.

20140104_082052.jpg

A closer look.

20140104_082041.jpg

I have also experimented a bit with Light Addicts technique of topping flowering buds to produce fatter colas. In the picture below I topped 3 colas 2 weeks ago. I noticed that they have swelled up quit a bit towards the top compared to other colas around the same area.

20140104_082159.jpg

Here is a 4th cola I had topped on the other side of the tent. It got to the point where I had to hold its weight up with a tie.

20140104_082245.jpg

Now compare those above with colas that were not topped. These colas below are the ones that experienced a growth spurt last week while I was away. They are now 3 inches taller than the topped colas. We will have to see at harvest time if they will start to fill up as much. I will continue to test this method until I can prove if it should be viable in my techniques or not.

20140104_082228.jpg

A few more pictures of the plant overall.

20140104_082946.jpg
20140104_082913.jpg
20140104_082414.jpg
20140104_082350.jpg
20140104_082023.jpg
20140104_081958.jpg

THE WEEKLY TRICHOMES

The Bubb

[video=youtube_share;J3ksvkM5sM4]
[/video]

The Bagseed

[video=youtube_share;j0jt--emKVM]
[/video]

I posted in your journal. I hope you don't kill me for being so low, lower than you predicted :laughtwo: I hope you saw the success on your 'back-building' method you posted in your Gert Journal. I picked up quite a few growing quirks that only YOU possess that I will definitely be implementing in the near future.

Aha, here I give you all my newest stock of green :hippy:

Some Silver Haze

20140104_113924.jpg
20140104_114137.jpg

And some Blue Dream

20140104_114301.jpg
20140104_114448.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, AG!

Your bagseed specimen looks like she is ready to go! However, I would let it go a full 48 - 72 hours with just plain water. A 24 hour rinse isn't long enough for the plant to use up the rest of the nutrients. Technically, we should flush until you see leaves start to turn yellow, but I've found it's not necessary to flush that long with the cubes. It will taste better if you let it flush longer. And hey, you want grandma to be proud, right? :rofl:

In the meantime, you could take some of those large fan leaves off and let some more light down to the lower buds. BTW, I have a killer recipe for coconut oil (simplified from BKS) if you're interested. You can use it to make any baked goods. I guarantee it will be more potent than any other technique!

Thanks for showing the technique with topping the buds. I have never heard of that. Maybe next time you can show us how to actually top it. In your previous pictures I was noticing how "pointy" the buds are on your bubblegum.

How is the silver Haze?

Will this be the last time you need to spend your own $?

What's next? Do you have new specimens in the midst? Are you moving soon? Sorry if you've talked about this already in your journal... I've been slacking on keeping up with journals lately. But I haven't been slacking in my room. It's sick man... possibly the best it has ever been. I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks for stopping by Alex and Capn. Much appreciated.

Capn, you know she only like the finest smoke, right! :rofl:

>>> What's next? Do you have new specimens in the midst? Are you moving soon? Sorry if you've talked about this already in your journal... I've been slacking on keeping up with journals lately. But I haven't been slacking in my room. It's sick man... possibly the best it has ever been. I'll post pictures soon.

No need to apologize Capn! I have a quest to find a the best 'bubblegum' strains to cross breed. My next grow will be from Female Seeds. I'll give more details when they arrive.

>>> How is the silver Haze?

The silver is a very light smoke (harsh-on-the-throat-wise) and a good day time high for me. The Blue dream, however puts me on my ass every single time. I can't get through a whole 1 gram spliff in one sitting without feeling like passing out :laughtwo: And no this won't be the last time... my patients require a variety of nugs in which I don't have the resources to grow.

>>> BTW, I have a killer recipe for coconut oil (simplified from BKS) if you're interested.

PM me bro!

Looking great, AG. :partyboy:

Glad to see a good harvest coming from that bagseed. That's the one that hermied in a spot a while back, right?

I want to know more about the bud-topping method, too. From what I can see there is quite a difference between the two. I'm curious to see how the untopped end up. You just pluck the top of it off?

Nice shots AG, looking forward to seeing your harvest numbers.

Looking good AG, if possible give the plants with the foxtailish looking tops more time, my cookies number three was just like that and the last say ten days they swelled up and were just what I was hoping for.
Glad to see how far you got in the last few months, keep it up bro.

Thanks Sling, I really needed to hear that. I was expecting those 'skinny' tops to bulk out by now, but only a few are heading in that direction. Harvesting around mid-January seems to be an ideal time.

Looking great, AG. :partyboy:

Glad to see a good harvest coming from that bagseed. That's the one that hermied in a spot a while back, right?

I want to know more about the bud-topping method, too. From what I can see there is quite a difference between the two. I'm curious to see how the untopped end up. You just pluck the top of it off?

Thanks for stopping by Dres. Unfortunately I was hoping that I logged some picture of when I topped the buds but I did not. FORTUNATELY for you and the CApn, I located the posts in which Light Addict explains this technique, and even included some pictures. I followed this exactly how he explained it and the results seem to be showing. I'll just have to do a final comparison of weight between similar colas.

Back Building Explained

PICTURES DETAILING THE PROCESS

>>>Glad to see a good harvest coming from that bagseed. That's the one that hermied in a spot a while back, right?

Yes, that's the little bugger that was trying to ruin my crop...but I had faith that he/she would find some sense. Not one male flower has been sited since I pruned over a month ago. I will be chopping the bagseed down on Monday after a 48-72 hour flush.

Back
Top Bottom