That's certainly not a balanced nute mix but works if all your plant needs is nitrogen.

Unless of course all that nitrogen is locking out something else, though all the plants are in the same mix and don't all look the same.

If you can't find a cheap mixable nute with a good ratio I'm not sure my advice about feeding it is helpful.

Heading off now but you're in good hands here. :ciao:
Safe travels Shed. I hope you are not driving in rain.

Edit: I hear what you're saying. LeRugged suggested a product too, which may be better. I will try to find information about that.

omg my manners! @Preston9mm , thank you for the suggestion of the dyna-gro foliage pro. I'm sorry for taking so long to respond! I'm a stoner down a rabbit hole :passitleft: It's not available here unfortunately. I'm on a local Facebook grow group. I'm going to ask them if they can suggest anything in the local brands in line with what Shed suggested. I'll use the Dina-Gro as an example if they ask for more info. Thanks! Have an awesome weekend!

High :passitleft:

I found a product called Nourish Plant Food by Talborne Organics that is 4-1-6. Will this do? They say to apply every 14 days or as required.

High :passitleft:

I found a product called Nourish Plant Food by Talborne Organics that is 4-1-6. Will this do? They say to apply every 14 days or as required.
Sounds similar to Geoflora.

its a big drive. 4-5 hours single carriageway (done it in closer to 3 😅) basically the whole way across ravines (highest bungy in Africa) and cliffs to the right. Beautiful mostly. Called “The Garden Route” big tourist thing. There’s a bar there called Route 66 that was owned by the parents of an employee of mine in London.

I know it well - honestly never thought I’d think of it again in my life!

Quick Knysna trip Carmen? 🤣

Stellenbosch/Franschoek probably better. Ceres - the whole area is some of the best fruit growing in the world.

Sounds similar to Geoflora.
Can it work at that ratio? It was the closest I could find to 5-2-6.
How close are you to Sedgefield?

Checking garden stores and nurseries in your area.
Tok thank you so much! I'm in Gordon's Bay, which is close to Somerset West, in the Heldeberg Region of Cape Town. I went to a little local nursery this morning and found the Nourish. I couldn't find anything closer to Shed's numbers.
its a big drive. 4-5 hours single carriageway (done it in closer to 3 😅) basically the whole way across ravines (highest bungy in Africa) and cliffs to the right. Beautiful mostly. Called “The Garden Route” big tourist thing. There’s a bar there called Route 66 that was owned by the parents of an employee of mine in London.

I know it well - honestly never thought I’d think of it again in my life!

Quick Knysna trip Carmen? 🤣

Stellenbosch/Franschoek probably better. Ceres - the whole area is some of the best fruit growing in the world.
It is some of the best fruit growing in the world. I feel so fortunate to live close to food like this. In fact I was in Stellenbosch this very afternoon, which is prime winelands and a university town as you know, Nick.

I dosed my plant before I went out for coffee today. I gave calmag and Nourish. It had already started losing leaves and that trend continues. I am rather alarmed by it. Looking at the plant now it seems it might not make it to the finish line. The pistils are also going brown.

How could this be happening?
DSC_4570.jpg

DSC_4568.jpg
DSC_4566.jpg

Tok thank you so much! I'm in Gordon's Bay, which is close to Somerset West, in the Heldeberg Region of Cape Town. I went to a little local nursery this morning and found the Nourish. I couldn't find anything closer to Shed's numbers.

It is some of the best fruit growing in the world. I feel so fortunate to live close to food like this. In fact I was in Stellenbosch this very afternoon, which is prime winelands and a university town as you know, Nick.

I dosed my plant before I went out for coffee today. I gave calmag and Nourish. It had already started losing leaves and that trend continues. I am rather alarmed by it. Looking at the plant now it seems it might not make it to the finish line. The pistils are also going brown.

How could this be happening?
DSC_4570.jpg

DSC_4568.jpg
DSC_4566.jpg
This swick thing I know so little about ugh I wish I could help seems like legit overall lockout now...have you tried getting rid of the uglier foliage and letting her not focus energy on keeping those sad leaves and force energy into the healthier parts of the plant? That would be my only thought, I've seen it help plants before-redirecting energy, but I'm not sure and I feel terrible that I dont know. You have seemed to try all of these suggestions, I think she will make it just going to be a rough end unless she speaks up and tells you what's going on! I'm sorry Carmen, I do still have much faith in this plant though and I hope you can find some faith in her too despite her current look.

That ratio should work just fine, but it'll be a little slow to take effect.

This swick thing I know so little about ugh I wish I could help seems like legit overall lockout now...have you tried getting rid of the uglier foliage and letting her not focus energy on keeping those sad leaves and force energy into the healthier parts of the plant? That would be my only thought, I've seen it help plants before-redirecting energy, but I'm not sure and I feel terrible that I dont know. You have seemed to try all of these suggestions, I think she will make it just going to be a rough end unless she speaks up and tells you what's going on! I'm sorry Carmen, I do still have much faith in this plant though and I hope you can find some faith in her too despite her current look.
There is so little leaf left and that's my concern. I can snip these off but will it spread to the rest of the leaves afterwards I wonder?
That ratio should work just fine, but it'll be a little slow to take effect.
Thanks Mel. I am watering this plant every 3 days. Should I give this Nourish at every feed do you think? What do you think about removing the dying leaves?

There is so little leaf left and that's my concern. I can snip these off but will it spread to the rest of the leaves afterwards I wonder?

Thanks Mel. I am watering this plant every 3 days. Should I give this Nourish at every feed do you think? What do you think about removing the dying leaves?
Not if it's only meant to be top dressed every two weeks.
It should be released into the soil every time you water.
I don't remove dying leaves, the plant isn't going to stop taking what's in there until its nutrition is sorted out, and even then it might finish it off before stopping.
Removing the leaves before they're used up and before the new feeding can take effect could force the plant to start feeding on the next set of leaves. I would only start removing them once the new nutrients are being taken up and used by the plant.

Not if it's only meant to be top dressed every two weeks.
It should be released into the soil every time you water.
I don't remove dying leaves, the plant isn't going to stop taking what's in there until its nutrition is sorted out, and even then it might finish it off before stopping.
Removing the leaves before they're used up and before the new feeding can take effect could force the plant to start feeding on the next set of leaves. I would only start removing them once the new nutrients are being taken up and used by the plant.
Thank you. I also thought that about the leaves. This is a liquid nutrient. 1tsp per Liter of water. The instruction is to feed every 14 days or when required. I think I need to do it more often than every 14 days, but just not sure how often.

Thank you. I also thought that about the leaves. This is a liquid nutrient. 1tsp per Liter of water. The instruction is to feed every 14 days or when required. I think I need to do it more often than every 14 days, but just not sure how often.
You ever used the nutes before? It might be wise to follow the manufacturer's recommendation until you have some experience using them.

Ahh. Sorry, I assumed from the every two week instructions that it was a dry amendment like Geoflora.
I'm with GDB on following the instructions. It sounds like it might be fairly concentrated.

Edit: And Shed! Got interrupted halfway through typing :laugh:

You ever used the nutes before? It might be wise to follow the manufacturer's recommendation until you have some experience using them.
That's wise. I shall err on the side of caution rather as I haven't used them before.
Nice find and unsurprisingly I agree with Mel and GDB!

Not sure what's in what you have been feeding but if that is really high in N there might some lockout going on like Krissi mentioned. Maybe a bit of a flush followed by the new feeding stuff?
Thank you Shed. Do you feel quite sure it would benefit from a flush? I've flushed this plant before. I'll do it if you promise it's safe. Where did I go wrong to start with? It seems like one bad thing has happened to this plant after the next. I want a do over.

I agree with you, @Krissi Carbone that it looks like a lockout. Is it caused by nitrogen toxicity or over watering, or both do you think? I've been giving this plant Seagro since taking it off the swick. Can that have caused a nitrogen toxicity? The product label says you can't overdo it, but Mel has questioned that. And no shadow of a doubt has this plant had a history of over watering. I just can't believe I have done so much damage to this poor plant.
Ahh. Sorry, I assumed from the every two week instructions that it was a dry amendment like Geoflora.
I'm with GDB on following the instructions. It sounds like it might be fairly concentrated.

Edit: And Shed! Got interrupted halfway through typing :laugh:
Ok, thank you!

Thank you all for being here! (Tok, Nick, Preston, Krissi, Mel, GDB, Shed, LR, PerkPot and Otter!) Please tell me I didn't forget to mention anyone who has been helping me on this latest issue. You guys are the best :green_heart:

That's wise. I shall err on the side of caution rather as I haven't used them before.

Thank you Shed. Do you feel quite sure it would benefit from a flush? I've flushed this plant before. I'll do it if you promise it's safe. Where did I go wrong to start with? It seems like one bad thing has happened to this plant after the next. I want a do over.

I agree with you, @Krissi Carbone that it looks like a lockout. Is it caused by nitrogen toxicity or over watering, or both do you think? I've been giving this plant Seagro since taking it off the swick. Can that have caused a nitrogen toxicity? The product label says you can't overdo it, but Mel has questioned that. And no shadow of a doubt has this plant had a history of over watering. I just can't believe I have done so much damage to this poor plant.

Ok, thank you!

Thank you all for being here! (Tok, Nick, Preston, Krissi, Mel, GDB, Shed, LR, PerkPot and Otter!) Please tell me I didn't forget to mention anyone who has been helping me on this latest issue. You guys are the best :green_heart:
Is it this Seagrow or that Seagrow cause I'm sure the one would do that

Screenshot_20230819_131732_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_131611_Chrome.jpg

Is it this Seagrow or that Seagrow cause I'm sure the one would do that

Screenshot_20230819_131732_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_131611_Chrome.jpg
It's a product called Seagro. Slightly different spelling. This is it here. The darn bottle says you can't overdo it, but it appears that is not true. This is what it says: "Application does not have to be precise because there is no chance of overdose or burning of plants."

Back
Top Bottom