Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

My RO filter takes about an hour for 5 gal too, but that's really perfect for my needs as I just rotate 3 x 5gal buckets and always have at least 2 full. More than enough for my humble needs.

Dam what kind of ro unit do u have cause it takes me about 3/4 a day to fill 2 6gallon buckets of ro water. This is the unit im using abit slow but it works great an the plants an fam love it. So i jus make sure these blue buckets are always filled up n it seems to be ok lol. I change the filters about roughly every 1000 gallons or so tht it makes.

Also on a side note does any1 know why some of my clones get all mushy at the bottom where i put them into the rockwool cubes? Its seeming to be only the thick ones that i take as tops from my plants. Any1 got any helpful pointers i wud appreciate it thank you. Here is the last clone tht did it to me this is from the Black Cherry Punch.

I don't have a car, so I walk to a grocery store carrying empty bottles and buy more to be delivered.....then wait for delivery and still carry them up 3 flights on a spiral staircase! That is twice a week in bloom. I can wait the time for it to fill bottles at home no problem :rofl:

Shit man talk about pain in the ass or back more like it lol. I feel ya man thts y i got my ro unit dam expensive tho but worth it in the end. Specially since i see hw gud it does fro my highbrix plants lol. Wen i first tried the kit i used my tap an oh boy did it fuk things up lol. The plants looked hagerd as shizz lol. But yea the only draw back is it wastes alot of water to make it. 3 gallons waste just to make one gallon of ro. Plus it takes FOREVER i start filling buckets at like 9 am an by like between 8 an 10 it will be done doing both 6 gallon buckets.

Shit man talk about pain in the ass or back more like it lol. I feel ya man thts y i got my ro unit dam expensive tho but worth it in the end. Specially since i see hw gud it does fro my highbrix plants lol. Wen i first tried the kit i used my tap an oh boy did it fuk things up lol. The plants looked hagerd as shizz lol. But yea the only draw back is it wastes alot of water to make it. 3 gallons waste just to make one gallon of ro. Plus it takes FOREVER i start filling buckets at like 9 am an by like between 8 an 10 it will be done doing both 6 gallon buckets.
Yeah....all those things. One of the biggest reasons is time though. I can get real busy lately and I just don't have a lot of time to spare. I get the procrastinating thing happening and keep pushing off a water run and it feels like I will get stuck waiting too long.....then I get some water and it's gone so fast!

This filter thing I can fill up every morning before work and empty what has filtered into 5 gallon jugs. It will be a constant game of filling all the time....I got good clean water, and that is all that matters.

Yeah....all those things. One of the biggest reasons is time though. I can get real busy lately and I just don't have a lot of time to spare. I get the procrastinating thing happening and keep pushing off a water run and it feels like I will get stuck waiting too long.....then I get some water and it's gone so fast!

This filter thing I can fill up every morning before work and empty what has filtered into 5 gallon jugs. It will be a constant game of filling all the time....I got good clean water, and that is all that matters.

Yup i do the water game as well with my unit lol but its all for the ladies they seem to love it lol.

Dam what kind of ro unit do u have cause it takes me about 3/4 a day to fill 2 6gallon buckets of ro water. This is the unit im using abit slow but it works great an the plants an fam love it. So i jus make sure these blue buckets are always filled up n it seems to be ok lol. I change the filters about roughly every 1000 gallons or so tht it makes.

Also on a side note does any1 know why some of my clones get all mushy at the bottom where i put them into the rockwool cubes? Its seeming to be only the thick ones that i take as tops from my plants. Any1 got any helpful pointers i wud appreciate it thank you. Here is the last clone tht did it to me this is from the Black Cherry Punch.

That is your stem rotting. It is usually from them being too wet for prolonged periods of time. I used to clone using rockwool cubes and they could be real finicky. If you are not using a hydro system I suggest using rapid rooters or the like to clone into. I have written out my cloning procedure a few times, but it is very similar to the way Doc does it. I can write it out again if you would like. I can say right off that tops tend to be harder to get to root than smaller side branches. I usually use whatever lowers I am going to get rid of to make my clones from. You are just going to throw them out anyways, why not kill two birds with one stone and prune and clone at the same time?

When you buy RO systems they typically have a rating telling you how many gallons they can do an hour. There are actually some RO systems that will recycle the water through the system that tend to get better usable water to waste ratios. So instead of a 1:3 ratio you get a 1:1 ratio. They tend to be more expensive though so most people opt for the 1:3 systems. One of the reasons i have not bought an RO system is that I do not feel like wasting that much water to get what I need. When things are moving along I can go through 20 gallons of water a week. That would mean pulling 80 gallons of water from my well and wasting 60 gallons of it. If I did not have a well and septic system I would be more likely to set one up.

That is your stem rotting. It is usually from them being too wet for prolonged periods of time. I used to clone using rockwool cubes and they could be real finicky. If you are not using a hydro system I suggest using rapid rooters or the like to clone into. I have written out my cloning procedure a few times, but it is very similar to the way Doc does it. I can write it out again if you would like. I can say right off that tops tend to be harder to get to root than smaller side branches. I usually use whatever lowers I am going to get rid of to make my clones from. You are just going to throw them out anyways, why not kill two birds with one stone and prune and clone at the same time?

When you buy RO systems they typically have a rating telling you how many gallons they can do an hour. There are actually some RO systems that will recycle the water through the system that tend to get better usable water to waste ratios. So instead of a 1:3 ratio you get a 1:1 ratio. They tend to be more expensive though so most people opt for the 1:3 systems. One of the reasons i have not bought an RO system is that I do not feel like wasting that much water to get what I need. When things are moving along I can go through 20 gallons of water a week. That would mean pulling 80 gallons of water from my well and wasting 60 gallons of it. If I did not have a well and septic system I would be more likely to set one up.

Yup my exact same problem at my place cause i also have a well an septic. An i figured tht tht much xtra waste wud be jus filling up the septic xtra fast for no reason. But my grandpa doesnt want it moved lol. I think its jus cuz he likes having the water available right at his door :laugh:. Cause we got it setup in the bathroom with the washer an dryer which is right outside there bedroom lol

View media item 1755225
View media item 1755224
Taking well water after softened and running booster pump option. Pumping into 2 1/2 gallon potable expansion tanks. Manual bypass flush installed for backwashing membrane occasionally. Also tee'd 1/4 line to fridge water/icemaker. 12 hours make 40 gallons ro give or take. Membrane lasts couple years at 5-9 ppm. Pump lasted 10 years before replacing. It keeps pressures optimal per colored gage, at 70-75 psi into membrane when running auto.

View media item 1755225
View media item 1755224
Taking well water after softened and running booster pump option. Pumping into 2 1/2 gallon potable expansion tanks. Manual bypass flush installed for backwashing membrane occasionally. Also tee'd 1/4 line to fridge water/icemaker. 12 hours make 40 gallons ro give or take. Membrane lasts couple years at 5-9 ppm. Pump lasted 10 years before replacing. It keeps pressures optimal per colored gage, at 70-75 psi into membrane when running auto.
Nice system...................softening ahead of the RO will definitely extend the life of the membrane. I'm thinking you are backwashing to drain if I understand you correctly?

Nice system...................softening ahead of the RO will definitely extend the life of the membrane. I'm thinking you are backwashing to drain if I understand you correctly?

Yes, waste water is dumped into sump.
I can't remember if I converted to a 1:1 restrictor, sounds like me, then added the optional manual backwash. I use that occasionally for 5 minutes after running out of pressure in the tanks (using up 5 gallons at once) to prolong membrane life.
Yes, salty softened water is more efficient than direct well water on membrane.
I also use ro in CPAP machine, diffusers, dog and coffee water, humidifier, and grow always going in some form, so I use it often. Cheap carbon and micron filters every 6 months or so. No complaints!

My yorky buds 3 weeks into bloom, with support from DBHB grown buds!
View media item 1755295

I can't remember if I converted to a 1:1 restrictor, sounds like me, then added the optional manual backwash. I use that occasionally for 5 minutes after running out of pressure in the tanks (using up 5 gallons at once) to prolong membrane life.
I also use ro in CPAP machine, diffusers, dog and coffee water, humidifier, and grow always going in some form, so I use it often. Cheap carbon and micron filters every 6 months or so. No complaints!

View media item 1755295
Well done (pun intended)

View media item 1755295

So cute!

Gov....so sorry for your loss my friend. When Max and Duggan passed , things were/are never the same. Had them for 15.5 and 17 years. Just like my kids, couldn't replace them...still miss them terribly , but try and think of all the good /great times i had with both of them, and there were many. Lottsa stories about Max and Duggan...
Know just how u feel Gov...:hug:

Yeah, we had 2, a chocolate and a yellow from the same litter. His sister got cancer 2 years ago and we spent thousands on treatments and operations that bought her 3 months. Lance was the best dog I ever had. He was part human I swear. He made me laugh for all those years...we still chuckle about him today.

Showed the wife those yorkie pics...now our agreement to wait a year is in jeopardy. But even though we agreed to wait awhile...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom