Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Ya, but i would want reliable results and stop friggen around.
Not saying those kits dont work but i would like to get right to the truth.
Thing is......I need to find out the actual costs and check out the time frame in which to get it done.

Soil testing I should get done before amending for the second run correct? Anyway.....I have time to do the soil and need to do more research before I can even understand what I am looking at.

The water is a different story. I would like to have my taps be usable even if it is mixed at some ratio with RO. A cheap diy home test for $50 would give me an idea of a vague starting point (or better?) Then I could implement one of those filters you put right on the tap or something then get it lab tested to see what is actually being removed after going through the filter. If the home kit shows nothing dangerous coming out, then I could move into a proper lab testing.....or as you said just get it lab tested from the get go.

Funny how it's easy to drop tons of money on things like lighting and genetics, but for testing your environment feels like torture. :rofl:

Seedling, your plant with yellow tips looks almost perfect. I don't think a water test at the lab is that expensive, guessing around 100 bones and it should be 1-3 days for results.

The home kit should not cost 50, but maybe that's cause your in Canada....? There are different ph strips for different things you're testing for. I'd go with the lab if you can swing it as it will give you more detailed results.

Cheers!:passitleft:

They have been in there for a couple weeks though and looking great up until this morning. They looked stressed after transplant, but turned around very quickly after an application of Destress. They have been really getting big quick this last week.
Yes sorry my fault I lost track of the day of the month lol. :bongrip: Was thinking the 10th was only the other day. I noticed mine within a week of transplant then by 2nd week all new growth was fine.

While I am in interrogation mode this morning....does anyone have suggestions for a "good" home water or soil test kit.

.....or is it worth it to use a lab for testing. I have access to do both, but for the scale I am working lab testing seems excessive financially.

If you're using tap water, your city will have a water report on file. If not, you can test it with a good pool test kit.

The only thing we're really interested in is:

Chloramine
Total Alkalinity

Use a filter that removes chloramine.....but if your TA is higher than about 120, you'll need to mix your tap water with RO to bring it down....and you might only get 3 runs on the soil due to bicarbonate buildup.

If you're using tap water, your city will have a water report on file. If not, you can test it with a good pool test kit.

The only thing we're really interested in is:

Chloramine
Total Alkalinity

Use a filter that removes chloramine.....but if your TA is higher than about 120, you'll need to mix your tap water with RO to bring it down....and you might only get 3 runs on the soil due to bicarbonate buildup.
I will get that done very soon and come back with results. Thanks Doc.

I will get that done very soon and come back with results. Thanks Doc.

Just use RO water.....no worries.

Don't go down the pH rabbit hole please.....the dirt has buffers. massive buffers. It's pH 6.4 no matter what. Leave it alone and don't go down the rabbit hole please.

Also, when you add the drench to RO there is no need to include tap water for buffering....the drench does that. Please don't get sidetracked with misapplied mcscience.

Seedling, your plant with yellow tips looks almost perfect. I don't think a water test at the lab is that expensive, guessing around 100 bones and it should be 1-3 days for results.

The home kit should not cost 50, but maybe that's cause your in Canada....? There are different ph strips for different things you're testing for. I'd go with the lab if you can swing it as it will give you more detailed results.

Cheers!:passitleft:
The water issue is mostly cause I want to see if I can get away with tap water. If I can't I will stick with RO, but if I have a preference and choice between the two options I will absolutely chose the tap. I need to sort it out for my own health, so getting to a point where I can use tap for everything would be ideal.

The yellowing tips I think are a calling out for SO, and I think that will correct it. That plant was one of the healthiest of the bunch, so I want to take care of that cause I plan on flipping in a couple weeks.

I was just looking at test kits on the Zon, and I definitely need one that tests for lead as well as everything else. I can see online reports of my city water, but I do want confirmation of what is actually coming out of there. I may look around and see what kind of test kit I can get.

The water issue is mostly cause I want to see if I can get away with tap water. If I can't I will stick with RO, but if I have a preference and choice between the two options I will absolutely chose the tap. I need to sort it out for my own health, so getting to a point where I can use tap for everything would be ideal.

The yellowing tips I think are a calling out for SO, and I think that will correct it. That plant was one of the healthiest of the bunch, so I want to take care of that cause I plan on flipping in a couple weeks.

I was just looking at test kits on the Zon, and I definitely need one that tests for lead as well as everything else. I can see online reports of my city water, but I do want confirmation of what is actually coming out of there. I may look around and see what kind of test kit I can get.

Just up the feeding on that one plant that looks perfect to all of us.....and one single application of Snake Oil should put it just right....

I just ordered a Berkey filter system. I have been considering it for about a year since someone I know got one. I got a discounted price of $300 cause it is dented or something....it should be ok though.

Screenshot_20200226-170552_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200226-170609_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200226-170621_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200226-170630_Chrome.jpg

How long would it take to fill 7-8 5 gallon buckets
The one I have (they come in different sizes) is their largest one. It can hold 2 to 8 filters, I have 4. It takes about an hour or so for 5 gallons to run through it. The more filters the faster it works, filters are expensive. I have the additional filters that remove lead and arsenic that screw on the bottom side.

So probably longer than you want to wait, unless you have several of them for that many buckets.

My RO filter takes about an hour for 5 gal too, but that's really perfect for my needs as I just rotate 3 x 5gal buckets and always have at least 2 full. More than enough for my humble needs.

I usually replace the water as it filters to keep it going. But you might want to get a feel for it first. They can be overfilled and make a mess on the floor. If you use the sight glass to see the water level as I do. This is even more true because there is an air hole at the top so the water can rise and fall properly.

The one I have (they come in different sizes) is their largest one. It can hold 2 to 8 filters, I have 4. It takes about an hour or so for 5 gallons to run through it. The more filters the faster it works, filters are expensive. I have the additional filters that remove lead and arsenic that screw on the bottom side.

So probably longer than you want to wait, unless you have several of them for that many buckets.
I don't plan on getting what I need from it when I need it. I have 4 x 5 gallon water jugs with lids. The kind you buy water in. It costs me $25 to fill them all up. I will just be collecting constantly, but it is way cheaper and legit good quality.
I was about to buy a water test kit that didn't even have lead tested and some cheap tiny filters with horrible reviews online for nearly $100.

I could fill it every morning and draw at the very least it can filter 7 gallons per hour...which isn't that bad.

I don't plan on getting what I need from it when I need it. I have 4 x 5 gallon water jugs with lids. The kind you buy water in. It costs me $25 to fill them all up. I will just be collecting constantly, but it is way cheaper and legit good quality.
I was about to buy a water test kit that didn't even have lead tested and some cheap tiny filters with horrible reviews online for nearly $100.

I could fill it every morning and draw at the very least it can filter 7 gallons per hour...which isn't that bad.
I use mine for my plants in organic/living soil with no problems. I just fill it, let it work, and as a gallon is removed, I put another in the top to replace it.
If I had to do 7 or 8 five gallon buckets like @Darkscotia , I personally would want 4 of the Berkeley's so I am not constantly adding water and waiting. You could fill one, put the water in a bucket and do it again 8 times, if you have 8 or 9hours to spare.

Back
Top Bottom