Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Amy,

Is your plant, that’s under attack by the gnats, in a dedicated grow room, or tent inside? I ask bc I understand you have outside plants too that you care for.

I know it is not feasible for all, but for what it’s worth, I enter my sealed indoor grow room once, occasionally twice a day. I set the schedules so I enter just after lights on, which is usually after my “get home from work shower”. In the past I realized my work in my outside garden and orchard contaminated me with potential pests, or more probable their eggs/ larvae, which I would, unbeknownst to me, contaminate my indoor garden, if I entered without changing. I’ve even now spray the floors that I walk to my indoor garden once a week with 10:1 bleach/h2o solution for peace of mind. So far, the thrips are the only thing I deal with every 8 months and their easy to knock down.
Maybe the gnats are not living in the soil of your plant, but are finding their way there from some other host medium.

Just trying to throw helpful ideas your way to ponder. Your plant looks great, but I understand your desire for perfection!

Take care
DL
:passitleft:

Thanks DL :Namaste:. It’s avery effective sounding quarantine routine you have :thumb: In a perfect able-bodied world I might be able to do this. But there’s no way.

Besides - I’m pretty sure that is not how these gnats got here tho. I was seeing them crawling in the 1gal pot sometimes during early veg when I wasn’t really going into the outside garden at all. I’m fairly certain they came in the peatmoss or the worm castings.

And I’ve never had gnats anywhere else in the 5 years I’ve been here.

i Know it’s going to take a cycle or 2 to get things dialed in with my soil mix so I don’t expect my garden to be perfect at all, yet!

I only want to stop this
19180EF3-89C1-40CE-8F2D-3250B65FFA2A.jpeg
2A17C26D-7C3F-4D4D-B3C2-57441120B5A8.jpeg
AE22900E-802F-4128-899C-D06CCD4E23AE.jpeg

from turning into this... :eek:

1D84DADF-310A-48B6-B96F-5A3D0FAA619A.jpeg

I had no idea they could do this. And having a sticky trap hasn’t got rid of them completely so I want to use this BTi powder. I had super slow growth during veg and now wonder if that wasn’t due to the gnats as well. It’s not like I could see them everywhere, only a little. But they seem capable of way more damage than some folks suggested. Kill em, kill em all. That’s a statement I’ve never uttered before! And I really mean it!

Any thoughts on the BTi powder would be much appreciated Doc! Let’s say if you had 1gal of drench and wanted to treat for gnats, how much of a mosquito dunk would you dissolve into it?

:Namaste:

Thanks DL :Namaste:. It’s avery effective sounding quarantine routine you have :thumb: In a perfect able-bodied world I might be able to do this. But there’s no way.

Besides - I’m pretty sure that is not how these gnats got here tho. I was seeing them crawling in the 1gal pot sometimes during early veg when I wasn’t really going into the outside garden at all. I’m fairly certain they came in the peatmoss or the worm castings.

i Know it’s going to take a cycle or 2 to get things dialed in with my soil mix so I don’t expect my garden to be perfect at all, yet!

I only want to stop this

I had no idea they could do this. And having a sticky trap hasn’t got rid of them completely so I want to use this BTi powder. I had super slow growth during veg and now wonder if that wasn’t due to the gnats as well. It’s not like I could see them everywhere, only a little. But they seem capable of way more damage than some folks suggested. Kill em, kill em all. That’s a statement I’ve never uttered before! And I really mean it!

Any thoughts on the BTi powder would be much appreciated Doc! Let’s say if you had 1gal of drench and wanted to treat for gnats, how much of a mosquito dunk would you dissolve into it?

This is part of the article I linked to earlier, there are a number of ways that may help in it as well

How Fungus Gnat Larvae Cause Damage to Cannabis Plants

Larvae attack tender new plant roots and root hairs, which cause these problems:

• ?Damping off? – seeds or seedlings are weak for no apparent reason; sometimes stems weaken and seedlings can even just fall over and die
  • If the fungus gnat infestation gets out of hand, even adult cannabis plants start looking unhealthy, showing many symptoms such as wilting, yellowing, drooping, spots
  • Cannabis leaves may show signs of nutrient deficiency (or deficiencies) which seem to be unrelated to pH, nutrients, or any other identifiable nutrient problem
  • Plants will start growing slowly and may even stop growing altogether
  • If the infestation hits in the flowering stage, yields can be reduced

Thanks Gazoo! I did read it before but I’m glad you reposted it here. I’d missed the seedling thing the first time - before it actually happened.
Hers the root of the seeing that dropped it head and never came up again
You can see there’s a spot of damage right below the soil line.

I’m going to have a good look at the roots when I pull the Blue Dream in a couple of months.

I think I need o drill extra holes in my pots to help them dry out faster too. It’s nearly 4 weeks since transplant and it’s still perky as anything, and still a tiny bit moist 2-3” down.
:popcorn:

I only want to stop this

Kill’em All! That’s Metallica’s first album from the mid eighties. Crank up some of that music from that album, and the Gnats might just leave!:p

Well I hope you can get those bastards under control, bc some incredible bud is right around the corner!:passitleft:

Thanks Gazoo! I did read it before but I’m glad you reposted it here. I’d missed the seedling thing the first time - before it actually happened.
Hers the root of the seeing that dropped it head and never came up again
You can see there’s a spot of damage right below the soil line.

I’m going to have a good look at the roots when I pull the Blue Dream in a couple of months.

I think I need o drill extra holes in my pots to help them dry out faster too. It’s nearly 4 weeks since transplant and it’s still perky as anything, and still a tiny bit moist 2-3” down.
:popcorn:

Cool, Just wanted to make sure we both read that, Sounds clear to me its the Gnats that are causing the issues.
As a fast response/try/idea have you considered using a Hair Dryer directed at the bottom of the pots to get things
drying up faster, Not super Hot but just enough to dry things up a little more.

They dont look that bad so thinking if you can just KILL OFF the major part of them you may be OK

BUT

I would even consider transplanting into another pot style/soil mix THINKING there is not much root
development anyway you may be able to get them into a better soil ? THIS is just what I would do and
probably a better solution available so keep that in mind ;)

EDIT: I did not mean to not use DBHB, I meant the extra amendment/percentage OR pot that was used ;)
Just needed to make that clear :hug: dont want to insult anyone still trying to get back to ZETOX :laugh:

Seems to be drainage issue at the root of the problem So for sure drill more holes in your pots, Here is
a picture of some I had drilled up the sides for better Dunking

Kill’em All! That’s Metallica’s first album from the mid eighties. Crank up some of that music from that album, and the Gnats might just leave!:p

Well I hope you can get those bastards under control, bc some incredible bud is right around the corner!:passitleft:
Yes! Metallica - gee I’d forgotten that was the album. Oof! That doco about them is one of the best music industry documentaries ever!

I hope so too... pity I didn’t make the connection sooner and nuke em then. There’s more spotting today, and the top soil has been fully dry for ages, so it seems they just burrow down to moister locales.

The tops are all still looking healthy enough :thumb: so hopefully the BT will do the trick and I’ll get a clear flowering run.

Oh and in case anyone wants to see it... this is the seedling. I posted it a few days ago to show it had been nibbled on its way out of the seed, on day one

And this is at the end of day one... never came up from here.

E90099FB-E80A-422E-B054-65A5F6B5FB5A.jpeg

Considering that it’s hardly a huge infestation I have, their capacity for destruction is not to be underestimated! This strip has been in there 2 weeks.
29BC435D-4E0B-4D45-8167-BAA92CB1E4A7.jpeg

So not millions of gnats - but still warrants the Metallica treatment.

Yes! Metallica - gee I’d forgotten that was the album. Oof! That doco about them is one of the best music industry documentaries ever!

I hope so too... pity I didn’t make the connection sooner and nuke em then. There’s more spotting today, and the top soil has been fully dry for ages, so it seems they just burrow down to moister locales.

The tops are all still looking healthy enough :thumb: so hopefully the BT will do the trick and I’ll get a clear flowering run.

Oh and in case anyone wants to see it... this is the seedling. I posted it a few days ago to show it had been nibbled on its way out of the seed, on day one

And this is at the end of day one... never came up from here.

E90099FB-E80A-422E-B054-65A5F6B5FB5A.jpeg

Considering that it’s hardly a huge infestation I have, their capacity for destruction is not to be underestimated! This strip has been in there 2 weeks.
29BC435D-4E0B-4D45-8167-BAA92CB1E4A7.jpeg

So not millions of gnats - but still warrants the Metallica treatment.

Just keep the topmost layer of soil dry and you should be able to outgrow these bugs.

I've got an arthropod zoo in my garden. They can be heard choking and wretching from time to time, when brix is way up. Mostly they just do their think invisibly and with zero detectable damage to the plants.

So that’s what I’ve been aiming to do so far. Go figure - it’s not working so well. Do you have an objection to the BTi? I’ve seen you recommend the dunks a lot in the past so that’s why I went abou finding some.

I’ve had these gnats since August and have had dry topsoil most of the time since then and they’re still about and causing damage, so I am scratching my head a bit about that and thought better safe than sorry.

I only want to stop this

I have used coco coir for years, now only for cloning and long term mothers. That made me an expert on fungus gnats! Gnatrol BTI powder mixed 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of nute/water twice 4 days apart, or 4 times for infected soils, stops them always. You know you got them when they float at surface wiggling after surface watering. They bite and sting roots and carry viruses that will cause root decease. I believe BTI is present in many myco mixes, just not strong enough when infested already. Small bag lasts many grows. I have seen plenty on bottom of pots so a good drench is needed. I feel this remains organic but some may not?

Some High Brix (DBHBB) sativas.....3 weeks from chop. First two pics show an Ace's, A5 X Malawi leaf....with 14 blades ...and a small cluster of flowers growing out of the 'hip' of a leaf.

Local department store should have a yellow sticky pad to attract them, they're drawn to bright colors.
:thumb: not in my department stores unfortunately. I have sticky traps. They’re not bright yellow tho... I’ll try to find some of these ‘attractive’ ones for the future ;)
I have used coco coir for years, now only for cloning and long term mothers. That made me an expert on fungus gnats! Gnatrol BTI powder mixed 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of nute/water twice 4 days apart, or 4 times for infected soils, stops them always. You know you got them when they float at surface wiggling after surface watering. They bite and sting roots and carry viruses that will cause root decease. I believe BTI is present in many myco mixes, just not strong enough when infested already. Small bag lasts many grows. I have seen plenty on bottom of pots so a good drench is needed. I feel this remains organic but some may not?
Cheers walleye! Much appreciated :thanks:

Some High Brix (DBHBB) sativas.....3 weeks from chop. First two pics show an Ace's, A5 X Malawi leaf....with 14 blades ...and a small cluster of flowers growing out of the 'hip' of a leaf.
Field of dreams :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom