Day 11
I'm really not sure what's going on with DSD #33. She really looks overwatered.
Hopefully she pushes through it, otherwise the premise behind the journal is kinda shot, lol.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33

Gelato

the do si do is just a lazy indica. it's fine, it'll get better as it matures.

Looks so very lush!

As for bud rot, lately I have been operating on a bud density/cu. ft. theory where, no matter how good the ventilation, temperature and humidity control, there is a point where too much of a good thing invites bud rot, and have started to cut down on the number of colas I grow in my space.

i pushed it a bit hard on a summer grow, i almost never do indoor summer grows. i wound up with rh a bit too high for too long and i don't have enough ventilation happening for it.

it's fine in winter when i can use the extra rh from plant expiration, it's too much of an ask for summer grows though. i did get way denser buds though lol.

i pushed it a bit hard on a summer grow, i almost never do indoor summer grows. i wound up with rh a bit too high for too long and i don't have enough ventilation happening for it.

it's fine in winter when i can use the extra rh from plant expiration, it's too much of an ask for summer grows though. i did get way denser buds though lol.

Yes, I understand on the summer grow. Even though I am in a brick coal room in a Michigan basement, environment can get a bit dicey for a couple of weeks.

That time is when I shut down, clean or remodel.

I've had a couple of grows where I was pushing 3 ounces a square foot in good conditions and it just didn't work. 2.5 has seemed to be my ceiling. After that, I get a visit from Mr. Buddy Rotten.

As for dense buds ... can't complain about that!

MGM

Yes, I understand on the summer grow. Even though I am in a brick coal room in a Michigan basement, environment can get a bit dicey for a couple of weeks.

I've had a couple of grows where I was pushing 3 ounces a square foot in good conditions and it just didn't work. 2.5 has seemed to be my ceiling. After that, I get a visit from Mr. Buddy Rotten.

MGM
Heya Growmie!! Have you ever thought about harvesting the top of the plants and letting the lowers fatten up a little. It works. I've tried it. Not to prevent bud rot. But just to increase my yield a little bit!! Happy Thursday to ya!! 😎✌️

Heya Growmie!! Have you ever thought about harvesting the top of the plants and letting the lowers fatten up a little. It works. I've tried it. Not to prevent bud rot. But just to increase my yield a little bit!! Happy Thursday to ya!! 😎✌️
Heyyyy ... Scottay ...

Good question.

Yes! I do staged harvests for a few reasons. One is I want to stay within my state's maximum possession law. If I stage a grow I can give away my excess to my harvest helpers between stages. Next, that's how I discovered what you are pointing out: bringing new life to larf.

There's a third reason, and that is for seed production. I can pollinate the white pistils of the lower buds while I allow the mature upper buds, with their brown pistils, to ripen. At least that is the theory. And that is what I'm recording in my grow journal this week.

Link is below. You are welcome to follow!

Day 12
All fed today, and I now have to go up to feeding Do si dos and Gelato every other day. Do si dos #33 looked happier today, even though her res was empty.
If she's drooping this evening or tomorrow, then I'll have to adjust her feeds somehow. Maybe punch another overflow hole lower down, water her less, but more often.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33
Still droopy, but better. Her new growth is looking a little pale though. I'm thinking I might try bumping her feed up before I mess with her res. Maybe she looks overwatered because she's drinking too fast in an attempt to get more nutrients.

Gelato
She's straightening herself up now, which I'm happy about.

Sad. I'll be rooting for DSD #33 to pull through!
Thanks MGM!

Thanks bluter!
I think DSD #33 is a little touchy. She looks a bit better today though.

MGM
I'm planning to go a little lighter on training them this winter. Last winter was the first time I've had budrot indoors, and I'd like to avoid a repeat.
Probably just a single topping, and then spread the branches a bit.
Welcome Scottay!
Yeah, that can help sometimes. I did it this summer.
Heyyyy ... Scottay ...

Good question.

Yes! I do staged harvests for a few reasons. One is I want to stay within my state's maximum possession law. If I stage a grow I can give away my excess to my harvest helpers between stages. Next, that's how I discovered what you are pointing out: bringing new life to larf.

There's a third reason, and that is for seed production. I can pollinate the white pistils of the lower buds while I allow the mature upper buds, with their brown pistils, to ripen. At least that is the theory. And that is what I'm recording in my grow journal this week.

Link is below. You are welcome to follow!
Interesting. I haven't been making seeds yet, but that reminds me of the way I've seen other growers pollinating a single branch. Usually it looks like they choose a lower branch for it.

Interesting. I haven't been making seeds yet, but that reminds me of the way I've seen other growers pollinating a single branch. Usually it looks like they choose a lower branch for it.

Another reason for choosing a lower branch when selectively pollinating is the gravity thing: most of the pollen falls down, so if selectively pollinating a higher branch, some of the pollen will fall onto the lower.

Another reason for choosing a lower branch when selectively pollinating is the gravity thing: most of the pollen falls down, so if selectively pollinating a higher branch, some of the pollen will fall onto the lower.
Seems so so high risk to this humble fool just had a fuckfest in a 4x4 but I do admire your thinking!

@Mel - up potting in perlite? How’s that look? Water it off or just place it in bigger?

Seems so so high risk to this humble fool just had a fuckfest in a 4x4 but I do admire your thinking!

@Mel - up potting in perlite? How’s that look? Water it off or just place it in bigger?
Well, c'mon over to my grow journal and see if I pulled it off, and maybe how I did it!

I just finished a pollination a few hours ago.

Short overview, I usually have a plant dedicated to receiving pollen, I keep it small and isolated and only devote enough resources to her to get seed. In this case I had a few extra resources on hand, the plant turned out nicer than planned and I wanted to save a cola to compare with a non-pollinated plant.

I collect pollen and pollinate in a separate room, then return the pollinated plant to her own secluded grow cabinet. I make ample use of HEPA air filters in the process.

Oh, as for potting up using perlite, Once the vegetation gets to be about the size of the pot its in then it has formed enough of a root ball that it usually stays together and I can plant in the next bigger pot. I don't know what Mel does exactly. I use paper seedling pots and they peel off the root ball very easily.

MGM

Day 12
All fed today, and I now have to go up to feeding Do si dos and Gelato every other day. Do si dos #33 looked happier today, even though her res was empty.
If she's drooping this evening or tomorrow, then I'll have to adjust her feeds somehow. Maybe punch another overflow hole lower down, water her less, but more often.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33
Still droopy, but better. Her new growth is looking a little pale though. I'm thinking I might try bumping her feed up before I mess with her res. Maybe she looks overwatered because she's drinking too fast in an attempt to get more nutrients.

Gelato
She's straightening herself up now, which I'm happy about.

Thanks MGM!

Thanks bluter!
I think DSD #33 is a little touchy. She looks a bit better today though.

I'm planning to go a little lighter on training them this winter. Last winter was the first time I've had budrot indoors, and I'd like to avoid a repeat.
Probably just a single topping, and then spread the branches a bit.

Welcome Scottay!
Yeah, that can help sometimes. I did it this summer.

I've had a few strains that look over watered in perlite. I just drop a day off of watering and they look fine!

Yeah, I can see that happening with the paintbrush or q-tip method.
My buddy had fairly good success popping a few pollen sacs in a plastic bag, shaking it to get pollen to coat the inside of it, and then putting it over the cola for the lights out period.
I wonder if that would minimize the chances of stray pollen getting to other buds? He didn't have any stray seeds, but he also used a lower branch, so if any pollen escaped it would've hit the floor first.

If your roots are developed enough it's like soil. They hold it together, like the pic below.
That just pulled right out of the pot, and held its shape, even through being turned upside down and being bopped by the other pot.
20231028_104056.jpg

Well, c'mon over to my grow journal and see if I pulled it off, and maybe how I did it!

I just finished a pollination a few hours ago.

Short overview, I usually have a plant dedicated to receiving pollen, I keep it small and isolated and only devote enough resources to her to get seed. In this case I had a few extra resources on hand, the plant turned out nicer than planned and I wanted to save a cola to compare with a non-pollinated plant.

I collect pollen and pollinate in a separate room, then return the pollinated plant to her own secluded grow cabinet. I make ample use of HEPA air filters in the process.

Oh, as for potting up using perlite, Once the vegetation gets to be about the size of the pot its in then it has formed enough of a root ball that it usually stays together and I can plant in the next bigger pot. I don't know what Mel does exactly. I use paper seedling pots and they peel off the root ball very easily.

MGM
Yup, just needs to have the root system in place and it's pretty easy.
I've had a few strains that look over watered in perlite. I just drop a day off of watering and they look fine!
I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.
She's looking better this morning.

My buddy had fairly good success popping a few pollen sacs in a plastic bag, shaking it to get pollen to coat the inside of it, and then putting it over the cola for the lights out period.
I wonder if that would minimize the chances of stray pollen getting to other buds? He didn't have any stray seeds, but he also used a lower branch, so if any pollen escaped it would've hit the floor first.

If your roots are developed enough it's like soil. They hold it together, like the pic below.
That just pulled right out of the pot, and held its shape, even through being turned upside down and being bopped by the other pot.
20231028_104056.jpg

I’ll take a look in the can we have with perlite tomorrow - that tent is meant to be off limits to me but tomorrow we’re putting a new tent up and moving them all around.

My plan is also to cull a bunch of plants - but I’m sure that won’t happen. Already looking at cheap new lights 😅

I wonder if that would minimize the chances of stray pollen getting to other buds? He didn't have any stray seeds, but he also used a lower branch, so if any pollen escaped it would've hit the floor first
Only if there's absolutely no air movement, and I'm not just talking fans. Pollen is so light it can travel miles on a light breeze. But, unless you'll selling it, a few seeds isn't the end of the world.

Only if there's absolutely no air movement, and I'm not just talking fans. Pollen is so light it can travel miles on a light breeze. But, unless you'll selling it, a few seeds isn't the end of the world.
Gosh are you part lizard with that cold hearted take down? 😂

Water kills pollen though?

Cannabis pollen?

Cannabis pollen?
Yes, if you cover the target branch with a plastic bag and then spray the rest of the pistils on the plant, any pollen contacting the wet pistils should prevent them from being pollinated.

Day 13
I think I might be taking the pics too early. I've had strains that needed some time to "wake up" before, and I'm taking these pics right at lights on. I'll check in an hour, and if she's not droopy anymore I'll start taking them an hour later.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33

Gelato

I’ll take a look in the can we have with perlite tomorrow - that tent is meant to be off limits to me but tomorrow we’re putting a new tent up and moving them all around.

My plan is also to cull a bunch of plants - but I’m sure that won’t happen. Already looking at cheap new lights 😅
You have one growing in perlite?
Weird, he has fans going all the time, but never an accidental seed.
It's true that a few seeds aren't that bad. Most years I have a few in my outdoor buds. None this year, but we finally found out who was putting males outside and convinced him to do things differently this year.

Cannabis pollen?
I've heard that about pollen, but I've never tested it myself.
Yes, if you cover the target branch with a plastic bag and then spray the rest of the pistils on the plant, any pollen contacting the wet pistils should prevent them from being pollinated.
I may be making seeds in the not too distant future, so I'll have a chance to try that out.

Hmmmmm ... interesting technique. I will need to try that in the future.

Looks so very lush!

As for bud rot, lately I have been operating on a bud density/cu. ft. theory where, no matter how good the ventilation, temperature and humidity control, there is a point where too much of a good thing invites bud rot, and have started to cut down on the number of colas I grow in my space.
Yeah lot of mass in a small space with your grows mate!

20231028_104056.jpg

I like it when they keep a shape! 🤣
Probably not the best for them but! 🤣
20231019_150636.jpg

Back
Top Bottom