Are me and you the only 2 on here growing in perlite?
Looking forward to watching this one mate! 👍
You, @MicroGrowerMan and I are the only ones I've seen so far, until some other hempy growers get back to growing.
Glad to have you here!

I used to worry about the leaning little plants and tried to prop them up or stake them. :rolleyes: I made myself just leave them be and let them straighten themselves out. :hmmmm: They may not have stood up ramrod straight,:passitleft: but they all made it just fine in the end. :cheesygrinsmiley: Gave them character and gave me something else to call them. Example: "See that Crooked Dick looking plant there." 😎

I used to worry about the leaning little plants and tried to prop them up or stake them. :rolleyes: I made myself just leave them be and let them straighten themselves out. :hmmmm: They may not have stood up ramrod straight,:passitleft: but they all made it just fine in the end. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Yeah, the lean doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious about why it's happening.
Gave them character and gave me something else to call them. Example: "See that Crooked Dick looking plant there." 😎
Lol, this took me right back to basic!
That's the kind of nickname the staff came up with for everyone!
Mellville, thank you for the mention. @Porky82 you can see what I'm up to through the links below.
:)

Day 6
I'm taking a bit of a chance here, as I can't remember what day we're on, and I can't be arsed to go back and check.
I've moved them to the tent. That results in better pics, but of course I forgot to adjust the white balance for the LEDs. Makes a huge difference.
As you can see I've prepared the materials to transplant them to larger pots as soon as they need them. In the bottom left corner you can also see the panda film sleeves I made for the transparent pots, which will be put back on after they finish draining.
I moved things around a bit after the pics were taken, so the plants are centered under the light, and yes, I kept track of which is which...this time.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33
Added a pic under the t5.

Gelato

Have a nice day everyone.

Day 6
I'm taking a bit of a chance here, as I can't remember what day we're on, and I can't be arsed to go back and check.
I've moved them to the tent. That results in better pics, but of course I forgot to adjust the white balance for the LEDs. Makes a huge difference.
As you can see I've prepared the materials to transplant them to larger pots as soon as they need them. In the bottom left corner you can also see the panda film sleeves I made for the transparent pots, which will be put back on after they finish draining.
I moved things around a bit after the pics were taken, so the plants are centered under the light, and yes, I kept track of which is which...this time.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33
Added a pic under the t5.

Gelato

Have a nice day everyone.
Hi Mel a couple questions if you don't mind a hempy grow is in straight perlite ? how often do you water in the veg & flower stage ?

Hi Mel a couple questions if you don't mind a hempy grow is in straight perlite ? how often do you water in the veg & flower stage ?
Yes, straight perlite.
You use solid buckets with a hole drilled in the side 5cm up from the bottom.
Following the advice of @bluter I trickle some water down into the perlite at the base of the side every day until the roots reach the res at the bottom of the bucket.
Then I fertigate every 3rd day in early veg. One reason I'm using transparent containers right now is to make it easier to tell when I need to up the frequency, going first to every other day, and then every day.
You have to make sure to get plenty of runoff to clear older nutrients out of the res.
I'd suggest reading the journals of @bluter @Braddah Waiheesohai and @FelipeBlu as I learned a lot from them, and you might find Hempy Headquarters interesting as well.

Yes, straight perlite.
You use solid buckets with a hole drilled in the side 5cm up from the bottom.
Following the advice of @bluter I trickle some water down into the perlite at the base of the side every day until the roots reach the res at the bottom of the bucket.
Then I fertigate every 3rd day in early veg. One reason I'm using transparent containers right now is to make it easier to tell when I need to up the frequency, going first to every other day, and then every day.
You have to make sure to get plenty of runoff to clear older nutrients out of the res.
I'd suggest reading the journals of @bluter @Braddah Waiheesohai and @FelipeBlu as I learned a lot from them, and you might find Hempy Headquarters interesting as well.
thanks Mel, i was just going through your Jack Herer journal will check out those other journals also

hempy feeding is a 3-2-1 schedule if you wanna make it easy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

every 3rd day in seedling and early veg
every 2nd day from veg to early flower
every day in flower

feed til about 10% run off

edit : i'm probably never running any other type of grow again unless i do a sips. i've been simplifying my grow style for a few years to get it to the easiest system with the least amount of gear.

hempy feeding is a 3-2-1 schedule if you wanna make it easy. :cheesygrinsmiley:

every 3rd day in seedling and early veg
every 2nd day from veg to early flower
every day in flower

feed til about 10% run off

edit : i'm probably never running any other type of grow again unless i do a sips. i've been simplifying my grow style for a few years to get it to the easiest system with the least amount of gear.
well this hempy grow style seems to work pretty well for you guys with the less hassle of soil/coco or hydro but its pretty close to hydro, just love seeing all the different ways of growing here on 420, just rolling around on which to try after i get to the level i want with soil, thanks

It is a form of passive hydro.
When I started growing I had no plans to switch from soil, and I still enjoy growing in soil. But I got tired of buying soil, and disposing of it when it couldn't be reused without issues anymore.
When I was looking around for something new, I was leaning towards coco, but then I saw bluter growing in, of all things, a shampoo bottle. So I started looking into it, and it grew on me.
One upside is when you're growing in soil you can always use more perlite, so it wouldn't go to waste if it turned out to be something I didn't want to continue with. I'm really liking it so far though.

well this hempy grow style seems to work pretty well for you guys with the less hassle of soil/coco or hydro but its pretty close to hydro, just love seeing all the different ways of growing here on 420, just rolling around on which to try after i get to the level i want with soil, thanks

it's really close to coco grows in style, frequency of feeding, and production.

hempy hits a bit above it's weight. the original hempy called for 2L bottles - lg pop bottles were often used. as mentioned i've grown in shampoo bottles lol.

hempy's good if your ok with the feed schedule and / or can't have other soils around, and it's dirt cheap to run. i'd recommend trying hempy or sips to most growers.

Day 7
After noticing that all 3 have jumped in size since yesterday, I checked the bottoms of the pots.
All 3 have a tiny root hitting the bottom of the res.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33

Gelato

it's really close to coco grows in style, frequency of feeding, and production.

hempy hits a bit above it's weight. the original hempy called for 2L bottles - lg pop bottles were often used. as mentioned i've grown in shampoo bottles lol.

hempy's good if your ok with the feed schedule and / or can't have other soils around, and it's dirt cheap to run. i'd recommend trying hempy or sips to most growers.
I really didn't want to keep using soil, so hempy makes the most sense to me, although I will be modifying my almost-SIP into an actual one for the next outdoor season.
I can relate to this.
:)
Here's to hoping for a finished hempy journal l!! 🥂
Thanks Fender!
I really hope so!

Day 8
I adjusted the white balance today. They still look a little lighter than in person, but at least the perlite is white again.
They were fed yesterday with 1.5g/litre MC, and .25g/litre mag nitrate, but the res was full of plain water and a few diluted trickles of nutes, so it'll take at least another feeding before what's in the res is at full strength.

Do si dos

Do si dos #33

Gelato
Still has her inner ear issue.

Getting so big the phone can focus on them!
FTFY, lol!
I haven't been able to find the manual focus.
My real camera is an old 45mm Minolta, and it's a bit of a hassle to transfer the pics to the computer.
I also only know how to process black and white film. I have some of what I need to setup a darkroom, but the "room" part is a bit of an issue.
20231023_164823.jpg

Back
Top Bottom