First Indoor Grow!

here we are at about day 27ish from germ'd seed into soil and they are bushing up quite nice!! i also started adding some pure kelp into their diet with foliage feeding and into my root feedings.. I also seem to have some little nats coming from somewhere so i hung a fly tape. Are nats something to be overly concerned with? they are not to bad but i find about a half a dozen or so floating in the water dish i keep in the corner on a regular basis.. also the plants are staying very low. i didnt measure but id say they are 6in or less tall but quite bushy.. in the past ive grown out doors but id always start with 10-12 seeds in an indoor seedling box i built using a florescent tube plant bulbs and from what i remember it didnt take long before they were almost hitting the bulbs and a foot tall..
20160429_155909.jpg
20160429_155916.jpg

these beauties are chugging right along! i popped them out of their pots tonight and added a couple more inches of soil in the bottom, i kinda under filled them to begin with and i thought it would be better to get them up a bit so more air can flow from under neath..
20160501_225532.jpg
20160501_225523.jpg
20160501_225408.jpg
20160501_225403.jpg
20160501_224236.jpg
20160501_224231.jpg
20160501_224222.jpg

at 31 days old now and so far all has been going really well.. i tied down 2 plants with fishing string and zip ties and they are looking great.. 1 plant was topped using unlce bens and the other was just a regular top and its turned into quite a bush.. i cant see the main stalk anymore without pushing some leaves aside.. the other 2, 1 was a regular top but i didnt tie it down and the smallest 1 i fimmed but its going slowly and falling behind the other 3.. its been the runt from the start.. and the little seedling in there is starting to take off as well..

uncle bens topped
20160503_213501.jpg
20160503_213449.jpg

regular topped
20160503_213431.jpg
20160503_213416.jpg

fimmed
20160503_213224.jpg

regular topped
20160503_213300.jpg
20160503_213252.jpg

20160503_214200.jpg
20160503_214146.jpg
20160503_213354.jpg

I wound up going back in this am and trimming out some fan leaves from the middle.. I tied down 2 of the plants 2 nights ago.. the 1 that I uncle bens topped is tied down nicely and after removing some fan leaves ito getting some nice light down inside.. the other one I tied down is just so bushy that tying it down wasn't easy cause the nodes are so tight together but there is quite a bit of bud sites already near the canopy so I'm happy with the way it's looking.. again this is my first indoor grow and I'm trying different things with them so I can figure out what works best for me.. my next grow I'm thinking about going with 2 plants and dwc as well as a scrog.. but we'll see I don't want to get to far ahead of myself

I also picked my lights up a bit to try and encourage a lil more strech.. these beauties are just so tight and full of veg that it's not easy to get light down in there.. my lights are about 26 in above the canopy now.. my really bushy plant is like 6 nodes high and they are only like an inch maybe 1.5in spaced out.. not sure if that's really a good thing or not..

Nice work, they look really nice! I think I need to do some topping or FIMing on mine so they will bush out like yours. I also started from seed and plan on cloning for sex when they are big enough. Yours look plenty big, why don't you clone for sex?

Rock on!

What do you mean clone for sex.? Like take some clippings and flower them to see what their sex is..?

Yes, take the clipping, clone and once they have roots and are growing switch to 12/12. Make sure to label plants so you know which ones to keep. I am new to this but I got my info from this site, so much info! I'll be interested to see how it goes if you do it.

Rock on!

My limiting factor with that is I don't currently have anywhere that I could grow clones in.. I mean I could tuck a few in the corner but then I couldn't switch the light cycles. I wish I had the space for a veg room and a separate flower room but I don't so for now I'm limited to only the 2x4 tent.. kinda sucks cause I'll have to start from seed every time but eventually I'll get the space to do things how I really want..

i wound up trimming out some of the inner facing leaves 2 days ago and tightening up the string i have them tied down with a bit.. the lower sites are really getting some light now and have already almost doubled their size from when i defoliated!! i think im just gonna leave them alone and let them do their thing for another 2ish weeks or so then flip the switch and start to flower! im anxious to get this grow done with and start the next.. any good seed banks that ship to the US you guys can recommend. im thinking of going with nirvana seeds or crop kings.. its just crop kings are so much more expensive the anywhere else. any thoughts on bomb seeds?
20160505_230912.jpg
20160505_230701.jpg

i wound up trimming out some of the inner facing leaves 2 days ago and tightening up the string i have them tied down with a bit.. the lower sites are really getting some light now and have already almost doubled their size from when i defoliated!! i think im just gonna leave them alone and let them do their thing for another 2ish weeks or so then flip the switch and start to flower! im anxious to get this grow done with and start the next.. any good seed banks that ship to the US you guys can recommend. im thinking of going with nirvana seeds or crop kings.. its just crop kings are so much more expensive the anywhere else. any thoughts on bomb seeds?
20160505_230912.jpg
20160505_230701.jpg
The thinning you did was great! Now all the smaller bud sites have a better chance at getting bigger. It looks really good.

Seeds: Crop King Seeds may cost a little more, but if you order 5 seeds, you get 7 or 8 of that strain, so that will offset the price some. Plus their packaging they send for the seeds is super cool and usually comes with a CKS pin. They have great seeds! That's my recommendation.

Hey Recklessjoint

Do you mean seedbanks that hold different breeders strains such as Attidude or Herbies seeds, or do you mean seedbanks as in breeders seedbanks such as Greenhouse seeds, Serious Seeds, Reserva Prevada or DNA Genetics ?

All my strains are usually chosen based on experienced Breeders,

e.g when I wanted to grow AK47 I found the original breeder was Serious Seeds, also the inventor of Kali Mist.

My NL5 X AFGHAN is by Mr. Nice who's breeder Shantibaba is the inventor of Northern Lights, SSH, White Widow etc.

My Blue Cheese keeper is from Barneys Farm who improved the original Big Buddah version.

I usually do loads of research trying to find a strain that really excites or interests me, find who bred it and buy from them though a seedbank that stocks all breeders strains.

That way I am always confident I'm getting strong or award winning genetics :)

Hope this helped, I may have just been rambling ha ha

GreenFingers

Hey Recklessjoint

Do you mean seedbanks that hold different breeders strains such as Attidude or Herbies seeds, or do you mean seedbanks as in breeders seedbanks such as Greenhouse seeds, Serious Seeds, Reserva Prevada or DNA Genetics ?

All my strains are usually chosen based on experienced Breeders,

e.g when I wanted to grow AK47 I found the original breeder was Serious Seeds, also the inventor of Kali Mist.

My NL5 X AFGHAN is by Mr. Nice who's breeder Shantibaba is the inventor of Northern Lights, SSH, White Widow etc.

My Blue Cheese keeper is from Barneys Farm who improved the original Big Buddah version.

I usually do loads of research trying to find a strain that really excites or interests me, find who bred it and buy from them though a seedbank that stocks all breeders strains.

That way I am always confident I'm getting strong or award winning genetics :)

Hope this helped, I may have just been rambling ha ha

GreenFingers

Would you care to elaborate on how you do research on strains that excite you and how you link that info to seed banks that carry those strains. Maybe mention what excites you about certain strains....?

Not trying to hijack reckless, your plants look awesome!

Would you care to elaborate on how you do research on strains that excite you and how you link that info to seed banks that carry those strains. Maybe mention what excites you about certain strains....?

Not trying to hijack reckless, your plants look awesome!

No problem weenmeoff but you did just open a can of worms ha ha

Where to start? I suppose I'll start by explaining what led me to choose certain strains

My reasoning for choosing AK47 was because I really wanted to grow a sativa but I had very limited headroom in my first space. Googling the strain, grow reports, smoke reports, descriptions etc shows that the strain is very potent, has won awards and has Indica like growth habits such as fast flowering time with the smoke characteristics of a sativa. Further investigation into the strain shows that the original breeder is Simon from Serious Seeds.

For e.g this is a thread that explains about AK47 just click the link below if you're interested;

Serious Seeds - AK47 - You can't beat the real thing

This would be the only person with the original mother and father to make actual AK47 seeds, any other seed company that claims they have the strain like Nirvanas AK48 among others is usually just a copy/imitation.

Usually you can tell if a breeder has the parents because they will also stock regular seeds.

GreenHouse seed co. only stocks feminised seeds, they do not have the original parents to breed the seeds although their Super Lemon Haze is to die for ha ha Arijan the now owner of Greenhouse used own the company with a guy called Shantibaba who was the origional breeder of all the old prize winners such as White Widow, Super Silver Haze, Great White Shark, El Nino and northern lights among many others. They had disagreements about the company and decided to go their separate ways, shantibaba taking all the original parents with him and setting up Mr. Nice seed company.

That is what led me to choosing what I am currently growing NL5 X Afghan, I wanted to grow northern lights # 5 which was extremely popular in the early 90s and won multiple cannabis cups, lots of strains we know today are derivatives of the NL lines, only problem is when you research the strain you will find that it was first bred by Neville who now works with Shantibaba at Mr. Nice, one of the original parents were lost, so to preserve the genetics Shanti crossed the other with 3 strains, an Afghan, a Haze and a Skunk so that people could explore the potential within the NL#5 genetics, I chose the X Afghan when I had very little space, now that I have loads of headroom I am going to be ordering the NL#5 X Haze as it is supposed to phenomenal :)

But basically I sometimes look up strains that have won or are being entered into cannabis cups and by what breeders/seed company's have entered them. I look for plants with specific effects, am I looking for a lazy smoke, an energetic or creative smoke, am I looking for more of a cerebral effect or a body stone or both what type of aromas are available such as skunky, cheesy, musky, woody, floral, piney, berrys or fruits, compare strains to each other, what is popular in different countries, read lots of smoke and grow reports, there is an endless amount of really interesting information out there on strains, characteristics and breeders, lineage and the history.

These can be quite useful sites when comparing strains, these links should get the ball rolling for you but Google is your friend :)

Leafly

SeedFinder

My personal taste, I enjoy that fresh citrus/lemon zing and cerebral buzz of certain Hazes such as Amnesia, Cheeses are a delicious smoke which originally came from a chance pheno from Sensi Skunk #1 seeds grown out by Big Buddah in the UK it's extremely musky, stinky and strong, really smells unlike any other strain, Blue cheese is my best keeper so far, fresh, sweet and unbelievably berry like with a thick musky undertone. Afghans are also quite tasty, they have a very thick hashy type of smoke with a very stoned effect thats great for the end of the day.
I enjoy the challenge of growing long flowering sativas, the ease of indicas and the variation in hybrids, the search for ever better phenotypes, different aromas, effects and favourable characteristics for keeper mothers is what excites me most.

I hope this helped you out :) I'm sorry Recklessjoint for jacking your thread with my giant post ha ha hopefully you and others also find this information interesting or useful :)

GreenFingers

Back
Top Bottom