Gator Uncaged

so mr. gator i noticed you use mh for flower ,im curious as to why? if you dont mind entreating me to your observations .:Namaste:
I've known that the Sun doesn't change spectrum with changing seasons, and copped an attytood when some ancient guru said the red light of HPS emulates the red autumn light that cannabis prefers to bloom under. I hate being hustled, and sold a sack of shit. CMH retro fit by Philips emits a hard white light like the sun always does. I got excellent results from a 250, and thought I was a genious. When I scaled up to a 400, great results eluded me. I recently got an eballast 600, and will run HPS. Ugly light, but proven good results and it doesn't f'n matter why. My head spins with TMI :icon_roll
CMH veg beautifully, but so do T5s and T8s.

LEDs sure are on my wi$h list after carbons for a nice clean breeze
got a fist full of HIDs in my pantry but my need is for a few new seeds
I'll have it all, lock stock and barrel when I win the big lottery, but
tonight I'm gonna cruise recycle containers for some bottles priced right, for free

I've known that the Sun doesn't change spectrum with changing seasons, and copped an attytood when some ancient guru said the red light of HPS emulates the red autumn light that cannabis prefers to bloom under. I hate being hustled, and sold a sack of shit. CMH retro fit by Philips emits a hard white light like the sun always does. I got excellent results from a 250, and thought I was a genious. When I scaled up to a 400, great results eluded me. I recently got an eballast 600, and will run HPS. Ugly light, but proven good results and it doesn't f'n matter why. My head spins with TMI :icon_roll

im not one to buy the hype either, and i can say that i have also noticed the sun does not change its bulb and does not care what we do with its rays, and thats why i asked, i too went with the ugly hps for the proven, i did good with the cfl but wanted bigger and better, now i wait for the miraculous :adore::high-five:

Allow me to start by saying I subscribe to no one light source for any grow. It's all a matter of style and space.

MH/HPS/T5/CFL/Incandescent OMG I QQ4U whatthefahkever!

im not one to buy the hype either, and i can say that i have also noticed the sun does not change its bulb and does not care what we do with its rays, and thats why i asked, i too went with the ugly hps for the proven, i did good with the cfl but wanted bigger and better, now i wait for the miraculous :adore::high-five:

While all that is true, that the Sun does not change its bulb, as someone that spends a great deal of time with his head pointed toward the sky, there is a definite shift in the way it is PERCEIVED. It is true that the sun itself does not shift color, but in the fall, as the angle at which the light strikes our little borrowed plot in life changes, the light that actually reaches us is definitely different, subtle as it may be.

As light enters our atmo, it is bent or refracted, depending on the angle at which it enters. Refraction was best demonstrated in our science class in junior high when we all went outside and used prisms to make the rainbow colors. The same happens as light enters our air. Which is why (air pollution aside) we see red/orange at sunrise and sunset, and the harsh yellow/white at mid-day.

This very pronounced difference is best observed in the summer when the days are longer, and the amount of "White" light is at the most amounts for longer, with a comparatively small amount of "Red/Orange" at the beginning and end of each day... Have you ever noticed that in the fall, the sun is NEVER-EVER directly overhead? This results in a measured difference regarding a reduction in the amount of "White" light as compared to the "Red/Orange" light received every day.

This is where the ad guru's at lighting companies get the idea that they can sell us a different color for each season.
Is it necessary? No.
Is it harmful not to change for flower? No.
Do I condone someone saying, "You need to do <this> or <that>"? Hell F**KING no!

Is it following nature more closely? Yes.

Am I passionate about doing what works and is right for you? Abso-fahkin-lutley

Does this make sense to anyone but me?

PG, I am looking forward to see how it all pans out. Are you not going to use the Vert 400 or are you going to add the 600 to the 400?? What sorta problems did you have when you changed from the 250 to the 400?

ME TOO
PG, I am looking forward to see how it all pans out. Are you not going to use the Vert 400 or are you going to add the 600 to the 400?? What sorta problems did you have when you changed from the 250 to the 400?

The exact same question i had...

Allow me to start by saying I subscribe to no one light source for any grow. It's all a matter of style and space.

While all that is true, that the Sun does not change its bulb, as someone that spends a great deal of time with his head pointed toward the sky, there is a definite shift in the way it is PERCEIVED. It is true that the sun itself does not shift color, but in the fall, as the angle at which the light strikes our little borrowed plot in life changes, the light that actually reaches us is definitely different, subtle as it may be.

As light enters our atmo, it is bent or refracted, depending on the angle at which it enters. Refraction was best demonstrated in our science class in junior high when we all went outside and used prisms to make the rainbow colors. The same happens as light enters our air. Which is why (air pollution aside) we see red/orange at sunrise and sunset, and the harsh yellow/white at mid-day.

This very pronounced difference is best observed in the summer when the days are longer, and the amount of "White" light is at the most amounts for longer, with a comparatively small amount of "Red/Orange" at the beginning and end of each day... Have you ever noticed that in the fall, the sun is NEVER-EVER directly overhead? This results in a measured difference regarding a reduction in the amount of "White" light as compared to the "Red/Orange" light received every day.

This is where the ad guru's at lighting companies get the idea that they can sell us a different color for each season.
Is it necessary? No.
Do I condone someone saying, "You need to do <this> or <that>"? Hell F**KING no!

it makes sense and cents for said "guru" but i know its advert voodoo hoo doo, while this noticeable difference is perceived by 2 legged upright thinking apes, the angle of the dangle (sun) is different and closer to 3rd rock during the waning of the seasons ,do green dreamy things with no such thinking reason,really notice the pumpkin pickin' latter season?

for myself and my lings i use what makes them smile, and no longer worry about these things,:high-five:

it makes sense and cents for said "guru" but i know its advert voodoo hoo doo, while this noticeable difference is perceived by 2 legged upright thinking apes, the angle of the dangle (sun) is different and closer to 3rd rock during the waning of the seasons ,do green dreamy things with no such thinking reason,really notice the pumpkin pickin' latter season?

Well, think about it this way.... with our EYES we perceive such a difference. Think about a lifeform that would otherwise die without said light and as such has dedicated most of it's surface area to collecting it. As for me, with the fact that their very lives depends on the luminance in question, I'm inclined think the change is that much more noticeable to such an organism.

Plus even though the fiery orb is closer, the angle at which it reaches us is filtered through much more atmosphere at this time of year than if we were at or below the equator, therefore it's radiation is exponentially reduced. Such is proven by our freezing temperatures across most of the northern hemisphere.

for myself and my lings i use what makes them smile, and no longer worry about these things,:high-five:

As well you should. There is no blanketed right or wrong, and even with light, there are shadows that cause grey areas, thus, some wiggle room is there for our personal experiences, preferences, and needs of grow space.

Be, I took out the divider between two rigged-up boxes to make one, 40 X 80" mini room. The 400 CMH hangs vertically in one side, the 600 HPS in a horizontal open fixture in the other. I believe that my problems were different both times, but each chargable to sloth. Heat and inadequate flushing on one, and light-leak recently. Mixed lights should work fine in this room, as they are irie in yours :Rasta:

Jandre, the atmo refracts sunlight smoothly unless restricted to a thin slice source, like sunrise/set or high latitudes. Or in a spectrometer like we had in high school. In grade school, we were shown a mechanical device that revolved a tilted, rotating ball around a large ball. It was easy to see why the poles were dark then light for 6 months at a time. I had a good primary education in science and math, and much more since. I also, for one season worked an alibi joint on Gyp row with a traveling carnival. Nobody beat me but if they spent enough, they walked away with a big plush teddy bear, a 'winner'.
Result: complicated explainations often lack veracity, and
observed results are usually more meaningful, even without deep understanding.

By George, Big Irish Doode! I do believe you've got it :adore:

miwa, I'll also hang a bare vert 250CMH in there if I can fit it in, and deal with the heat.
Like everyone says: more light is more better :idea:

fncg, there's no fooling you. You might have been born at night, but not last night :peace:

Jandre, the atmo refracts sunlight smoothly unless restricted to a thin slice source, like sunrise/set or high latitudes. Or in a spectrometer like we had in high school. In grade school, we were shown a mechanical device that revolved a tilted, rotating ball around a large ball. It was easy to see why the poles were dark then light for 6 months at a time. I had a good primary education in science and math, and much more since. I also, for one season worked an alibi joint on Gyp row with a traveling carnival. Nobody beat me but if they spent enough, they walked away with a big plush teddy bear, a 'winner'.
Result: complicated explanations often lack veracity, and
observed results are usually more meaningful, even without deep understanding.

:love:I was simply explaining the reasoning behind the ad idiots trying to shove the newest fads down our throats. Never meant to seem uppity at all. I was, more or less, speaking from a purely objective point-of-view. If I offended, or seemed overly arrogant, please allow me to apologize. Besides, as I said . . . .

Is it necessary? No.

There is no blanketed right or wrong, and even with light, there are shadows that cause grey areas, thus, some wiggle room is there for our personal experiences, preferences, and needs of grow space.

Jandre, I often write just to be glib. PC or even just polite eludes me. My apology for a sharp rejoiner was in part, those rep points. This alibi post is some more. Too many members think I'm a nice old man, they're wrong. I'm a nasty old dope smokin swamp lizard with attytood :)

I've been assaulted by TV advertising since 1954; I'm jaded :smokin2

Jandre, I often write just to be glib. PC or even just polite eludes me. My apology for a sharp rejoiner was in part, those rep points. This alibi post is some more. Too many members think I'm a nice old man, they're wrong. I'm a nasty old dope smokin swamp lizard with attytood :)

I've been assaulted by TV advertising since 1954; I'm jaded :smokin:

:thanks: for the rep.

:high-five:Hehehe, so what you're saying is that I knew you were a gator when I stuck my foot out? hehehe. Reminds me of a story about an old woman that took in an injured rattler in and nursed it back to health.

One day as she was feeding it, the snake bit her. As she lay there on the floor dying, she asked the snake with tears in her eyes, "Why would you do this to me when I saved your life and showed you nothing but love and kindness?"

The snake replied, "You knew I was a snake when you took me in!"

That about it?:high-five:

From two box store, assembly at home wardrobes I first grew in their original 22X30". I extended to 30X30" using the wall, and side extensions and grew some more. Then I moved them 20" apart and put up a center dividing piece. I used both 40x40" boxes with slightly off-center doors. Now the center divider is gone, both lights are on same timer, and there is a mixed bag of orphans, rejects and sad sacks in this junkyard grow box. My new eballast 600 however, is monster. 400 CMH is in there vert, but this will be strike three if it does't show me something good. Another 600 rig is only $200, and my eye cannot even percieve how brite that yellow light is, but my camera can

The 600h is in a horizontal open hood to the right, and it's bleed over overshines the white light from the bare vert CMH overhead
000_1770.JPG

4+ ozs, about 6z total from 8 PEs w/400v. Not the best quality, but good PE
I did near as good with 250v :hmmmm:
night light pollution pisses off astronomers, and me
000_17751.JPG

looks fun n promising ,with problems resolved, with that much light not leaking n overheatin' me thinks gators harvest will go down as unbeaten!! :adore:
that bowl of nugs looks quite Delicious now that's truly a breakfast of champions, i am forced to fantasize of a cereal box with over the top graphic design full of pe called "pe crunchy clusters" :rofl: or perhaps "danky nuggets" and a prize in every box ! rolling papers,sneak a tokes,and such should certainly make the prize list!!

Back
Top Bottom