GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Hello hawkeyes.

You guys are good. Saw and reinterpreted my mistake while I was blissfully ignorant of it!

EDIT:

It was likely due to me feeding that particular plant Grow Dots RECHARGE via the res.
See!
I heard recharge can stop the wicking action for some reason. Good catch!
That's what I meant to say, Tim. Obviously you can't feed Grow Dots via a res, but you can type it as so if you're zooted! :ganjamon:

Good to hear the Blue Cindy is coming around now .. I haven't seed a show in years !! Your pic looks like the balcony ?
They're called box seats in these parts, Smoke. :) Tier one box seats, in fact. Right above the stage. Four people to a box. Too nice!

The two women we shared the box with were about our age but they were somewhat sedate -- at first. However, my partner and I were showing immense joy and appreciation, jumping up giving ovations after great solos (of which there were many), whistling, hollering "Go Girl" in the middle of the tap dancer's performance. By about half way through the show our Boxmates were acting like they had slipped out to the bar (they hadn't). They too started rocking and rolling a bit! :)

BTW, the guy I went to the show with is the same guy I'm taking the Cosmic Lights to. We've been attending concerts/shows together for at least the past 30 years, most times with our wives along, but not on this night! He is also Lightweight LB, who I talk about HERE.

He's my ace in the hole, though I'd never tell him that!

Hello all.

No pics this evening, just words.

I could not pass up the opportunity to say that I've got nothing to report on the New Trick group on their Flip 30. I'm all in on "nothing to report" posts! Means all is good (for the moment, at least).

All the girls are drinking, all are stinking and for the moment, I'm done with "thinking."

-------------------------

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE

Hey GDB I was a bit behind, caught up now. Nice work on the transplanting and up-potting, such a nice presentation!

The new trick girls are looking well.

All the best for a smooth border crossing, best not to floor it into a cannonball run type of mission. It'll be great to see how the plant progresses at your friend's place.

Hello all.

It's Day 31 for the Phase II plants and last night I beheaded the 2 Fat Kid's Cakes. I also removed several nodes from the bottom of each and tied down a few branches. Both plants now have 4 nodes remaining and at some point I may reduce that to three.
NT P2 5-1-24 D31 FKCs beheaded.jpg

I could not top the Godberry (middle) because she continues to hug the soil. I take that back, I could have topped her but I wouldn't be able to do much else to her afterward. When I transplanted her I had to place rocks under a few of her leaves in order to keep them off the soil. Those leaves are still resting on those rocks! She refuses to get any taller at the moment. I should call her "Huggy Lowdown." :)

GB 5-1-24 D31.jpg

FKC#2:
FKC2 5-1-24 D31.jpg

FKC#1:
FKC1 5-1-24 D31.jpg

------------------------------

The solitary Cosmic Lights continues to impress on her Day 71. She's done well returning from the brink!

I plan to take her for her ride to the great outdoors early next week!

CL 5-1-24 D71.jpg

-----------------------------

Hey GDB I was a bit behind, caught up now. Nice work on the transplanting and up-potting, such a nice presentation!

The new trick girls are looking well.

All the best for a smooth border crossing, best not to floor it into a cannonball run type of mission. It'll be great to see how the plant progresses at your friend's place.
Thanks Stunger. I'll be doing the speed limit when I make my "run." :)
Zooted....haven't heard that in a long time. Thiught it was a northeast saying.
It's a popular word in this house, for sure! :ganjamon:
Thats funny with your friends getting F'ed Up and the way they act LOL Good looking buds Tooo.. Back in 2020 .. Glad the grow is going Good for you !
I'm lucky to have 'em Smoke (my friends)! They make life so much better. :)

-------------------------------

That's all I've got on this day.

Thank you, as always, for taking an interest!

PEACE

Hello all.

It's Day 31 for the Phase II plants and last night I beheaded the 2 Fat Kid's Cakes. I also removed several nodes from the bottom of each and tied down a few branches. Both plants now have 4 nodes remaining and at some point I may reduce that to three.
NT P2 5-1-24 D31 FKCs beheaded.jpg

I could not top the Godberry (middle) because she continues to hug the soil. I take that back, I could have topped her but I wouldn't be able to do much else to her afterward. When I transplanted her I had to place rocks under a few of her leaves in order to keep them off the soil. Those leaves are still resting on those rocks! She refuses to get any taller at the moment. I should call her "Huggy Lowdown." :)

GB 5-1-24 D31.jpg

FKC#2:
FKC2 5-1-24 D31.jpg

FKC#1:
FKC1 5-1-24 D31.jpg

------------------------------

The solitary Cosmic Lights continues to impress on her Day 71. She's done well returning from the brink!

I plan to take her for her ride to the great outdoors early next week!

CL 5-1-24 D71.jpg

-----------------------------

Thanks Stunger. I'll be doing the speed limit when I make my "run." :)

It's a popular word in this house, for sure! :ganjamon:

I'm lucky to have 'em Smoke (my friends)! They make life so much better. :)

That's all I've got on this day.

Thank you, as always, for taking an interest!

PEACE
Plants are looking great even Huggy Lowdown

Hello again folks.

So now I have personal confirmation of what I'll bet most of you already knew. Coco outperforms soil.

I went back and looked at the coco plants on their Day 31. Compared to the Day 31 pics I posted of the Phase II girls earlier. The differences are stark! The coco plants had thicker stumps, sturdier branches and lots more leaves than the plants in soil.

Take a look. Disregard the two plants in the rear. They were both going through some issues. The front two better represent what's possible with coco when all goes well. (And to be honest, the front two had gone through some issues too. They just muscled their way through better than the rear plants were able to.)
1714581631835.png

I'm now an unofficial member of the coco Choir! I'm not crazy about the need to pH every friggin' thing that goes into them, but damn, plants do seem to love the medium! 🧐

Did I welcome you to the dark side already 🤔😂
Interestd in your thoughts on end quality too.
GV, I sent you a telepathic response. 😁

She refuses to get any taller at the moment. I should call her "Huggy Lowdown." :)
If she's like that one of mine, watch out around day 53... :D
I'm not crazy about the need to pH every friggin' thing that goes into them, but damn, plants do seem to love the medium! 🧐
If they're happy, we're happy!
Whatever it takes...

That Cosmic Lights sure made a sweet comeback...
Your buddy's getting a winner!

Hello again folks.

So now I have personal confirmation of what I'll bet most of you already knew. Coco outperforms soil.

I went back and looked at the coco plants on their Day 31. Compared to the Day 31 pics I posted of the Phase II girls earlier. The differences are stark! The coco plants had thicker stumps, sturdier branches and lots more leaves than the plants in soil.

Take a look. Disregard the two plants in the rear. They were both going through some issues. The front two better represent what's possible with coco when all goes well. (And to be honest, the front two had gone through some issues too. They just muscled their way through better than the rear plants were able to.)
1714581631835.png

I'm now an unofficial member of the coco Choir! I'm not crazy about the need to pH every friggin' thing that goes into them, but damn, plants do seem to love the medium! 🧐
I agre with you ! Coco , is in my opinion a better way to grow .
Your girls are lookin so healthy you have it dialed in for sure!

If she's like that one of mine, watch out around day 53... :D

If they're happy, we're happy!
Whatever it takes...

That Cosmic Lights sure made a sweet comeback...
Your buddy's getting a winner!
I hope she's emulates yours, Carcass. She sure did copy your plants early growth pattern! Why stop now? :)

I'm really pleased with the CL's turnaround. I'm looking forward to taking her out of that pot so I can see her root structure.

I worrying about going nuts with her so far away. Good thing my buddy has a guest room! 😁

I agre with you ! Coco , is in my opinion a better way to grow .
Your girls are lookin so healthy you have it dialed in for sure!
Yeah, SOG, if I were into growing for quantity I'd definitely lean towards coco. However, I'm more interested in the quality aspect. So I'll have to wait and see about that part!

Thanks for stopping by! :Rasta:

That Cyrus Chesnut concert sounds like it was a blast, and the video you posted in the OT thread really shows off his great style! Also, congrats on the topping and the CL recovery and plans.
:welldone:

No idea how I got so far behind here...sorry if I missed anything. :)
Thanks Shed!

I got a divorce and moved to Thailand, down the street from @NickHardy. But other than that, you haven't missed much.

Hello gang!

So sorry, I can't help myself. I'm back with my second post of the day!

This one is about the New Trick girls on their Flip 31.

They've really been cooperative lately. All are drinking well, the pH drift in the reservoirs has abated a bit and they have no blemishes that I have seen! Neither of the three has dropped barely a leaf. I'm guessing that each plant may have let go of 3-4 yellowing ones. They've kept me busy just trying to keep leaf growth in check, and I have not done the greatest at keeping up.

Blue Cindy

She seems to be slowly getting her nice green back. @Carcass predicted she'd probably be greened up by today. Well, she's trying but she's not quite there yet. She has surprised me by staying relatively short. I thought she was going to stretch like crazy but it didn't happen. She stopped when she reached 18 inches. But she's drinking now, and that's a good thing!

BC 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Blue Cindy 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

--------------------------------

Lemon Bubble

I can't seem to catch up with this one as relates to defoliation. I got behind in the beginning and then she sped up! She's got a lot going on inward that I still need to get to. Thing is, she has quite a few bud sites hidden in there that could potentially see the light. I've been tucking and cutting of the tips of fan leaves trying to uncover some of those nuggets. I've have some success, but soon I'll need to face reality (and the calendar) and clean her up right.

She is definitely the funky one of the bunch. Her citrusy smell jumps off the plant and straight up my nostrils whenever I get near her. And she's the first to have a few of her pistils turn to orange. She stopped stretching at 17 inches.

LB 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Lemon Bubble 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

---------------------------

Hash Lover

I've had fun watching this one grow. She's also at 18 inches in height but those are just the tallest branches around her perimeter. Most of her growth is towards the middle of the plant (Yeah! :yahoo:) and those tops are about an inch or two lower.

But it seems that all she wants to do is produce flowers!

HL 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Hash Lover 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

All of their reservoirs were nearly dry this afternoon, and all were topped with a full dose of Strive nutrients.

Back at rest:
NT 5-1-24 F31 tent.jpg

All those big fans that remain on the bottoms of the front two plants were left there intentionally. The flowering sites removed but the big fans allowed to stay in order to fuel the plant. I'm thinking of cutting them off, or at least cutting them from one plant and leaving them on the other. The reason is this post I read earlier today by @Keffka:

Perfect timing for this question. I heard a podcast about this so I checked out the study. Any leaf that is not receiving at least 200 ųmols of light won’t perform photosynthesis. It will continue to transpire though. So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself, yet.

Now, this gets a bit tricky. Those leaves that aren’t photosynthesizing aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They’re holding a whole bunch of nutrients the plant can call on when it needs more. This is useful deep into flower. However, there’s a line to watch. If your airflow is poor and/or humidity is an issue, it may be more beneficial to trim off anything below 200 ųmols.

Outdoors this isn’t really an issue. The sun will hit any leaf that is exposed to it. Indoors though, with a beefy canopy, a lot of that light won’t penetrate to the container level. If you’re an organic grower, you will likely want to keep as many leaves as possible even if they aren’t photosynthesizing. If you’re using mineral salts, keeping nutrient sinks aren’t as important since you can just dose the plant with whatever it needs when it needs it.

This info gives the grower a standard and a measurement they can use to determine which leaves to take and which to keep instead of guessing.

Made me go, "hmmm." Anyway, I'm not taking a big risk by cutting them off or leaving them on.

----------------------------

Last, I recently told AC Infinity about the malfunctioning water level indicators on their swick bases. Without hesitation, they initiated an order to send me 4 new ones. Of course if they're from the same batch as those that originally came with the bases...well. :straightface:

Shout out to AC Infinity for being responsive!

Thanks as always.

PEACE

Hello gang!

So sorry, I can't help myself. I'm back with my second post of the day!

This one is about the New Trick girls on their Flip 31.

They've really been cooperative lately. All are drinking well, the pH drift in the reservoirs has abated a bit and they have no blemishes that I have seen! Neither of the three has dropped barely a leaf. I'm guessing that each plant may have let go of 3-4 yellowing ones. They've kept me busy just trying to keep leaf growth in check, and I have not done the greatest at keeping up.

Blue Cindy

She seems to be slowly getting her nice green back. @Carcass predicted she'd probably be greened up by today. Well, she's trying but she's not quite there yet. She has surprised me by staying relatively short. I thought she was going to stretch like crazy but it didn't happen. She stopped when she reached 18 inches. But she's drinking now, and that's a good thing!

BC 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Blue Cindy 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

--------------------------------

Lemon Bubble

I can't seem to catch up with this one as relates to defoliation. I got behind in the beginning and then she sped up! She's got a lot going on inward that I still need to get to. Thing is, she has quite a few bud sites hidden in there that could potentially see the light. I've been tucking and cutting of the tips of fan leaves trying to uncover some of those nuggets. I've have some success, but soon I'll need to face reality (and the calendar) and clean her up right.

She is definitely the funky one of the bunch. Her citrusy smell jumps off the plant and straight up my nostrils whenever I get near her. And she's the first to have a few of her pistils turn to orange. She stopped stretching at 17 inches.

LB 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Lemon Bubble 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

---------------------------

Hash Lover

I've had fun watching this one grow. She's also at 18 inches in height but those are just the tallest branches around her perimeter. Most of her growth is towards the middle of the plant (Yeah! :yahoo:) and those tops are about an inch or two lower.

But it seems that all she wants to do is produce flowers!

HL 5-1-24 F31 profile.JPG

Hash Lover 5-1-24 F31 above.JPG

All of their reservoirs were nearly dry this afternoon, and all were topped with a full dose of Strive nutrients.

Back at rest:
NT 5-1-24 F31 tent.jpg

All those big fans that remain on the bottoms of the front two plants were left there intentionally. The flowering sites removed but the big fans allowed to stay in order to fuel the plant. I'm thinking of cutting them off, or at least cutting them from one plant and leaving them on the other. The reason is this post I read earlier today by @Keffka:

Perfect timing for this question. I heard a podcast about this so I checked out the study. Any leaf that is not receiving at least 200 ųmols of light won’t perform photosynthesis. It will continue to transpire though. So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself, yet.

Now, this gets a bit tricky. Those leaves that aren’t photosynthesizing aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They’re holding a whole bunch of nutrients the plant can call on when it needs more. This is useful deep into flower. However, there’s a line to watch. If your airflow is poor and/or humidity is an issue, it may be more beneficial to trim off anything below 200 ųmols.

Outdoors this isn’t really an issue. The sun will hit any leaf that is exposed to it. Indoors though, with a beefy canopy, a lot of that light won’t penetrate to the container level. If you’re an organic grower, you will likely want to keep as many leaves as possible even if they aren’t photosynthesizing. If you’re using mineral salts, keeping nutrient sinks aren’t as important since you can just dose the plant with whatever it needs when it needs it.

This info gives the grower a standard and a measurement they can use to determine which leaves to take and which to keep instead of guessing.

Made me go, "hmmm." Anyway, I'm not taking a big risk by cutting them off or leaving them on.

Last, I recently told AC Infinity about the malfunctioning water level indicators on their swick bases. Without hesitation, they initiated an order to send me 4 new ones. Of course if they're from the same batch as those that originally came with the bases...well. :straightface:

Shout out to AC Infinity for being responsive!

Thanks as always.

PEACE
Question how does one measure ymols? I am not familiar with them. It may be a stupid question. 🍋

Back
Top Bottom