Neiko's High Brix Garden Powered By NextLight

So then, Nieko and Duggan, should I just buy the $100 kit to get started and just plan to buy the gallon size transplant and growth?

I might just go straight for the bulk kit to start, Chef! If you like it and want to stick with it, then do the gallons. The hardest part most folks have using this gear is leaving things alone, and following instructions. Get it down first, then expand! Just my $.02 Cheers!

:passitleft:

I might just go straight for the bulk kit to start, Chef! If you like it and want to stick with it, then do the gallons. The hardest part most folks have using this gear is leaving things alone, and following instructions. Get it down first, then expand! Just my $.02 Cheers!

:passitleft:

by bulk kit you mean the $100 kit that’s on amazon right? That’s good for how many plants?

Yup...all are correct and i agree.
The kit works as advertised, so no real risk buying a bulk kit, right off the bat.
Wat Stoney said too....get on the floor ..on your tarp....do the mixing with a small shovel ....saves the back.
Worth while to buy a small tarp..like 8x8 or 10 x10 and a square nosed shovel...preferably aluminum if u can locate one....they are much easier to work with.
Just my 2 guys!

by bulk kit you mean the $100 kit that’s on amazon right? That’s good for how many plants?
By the way, DDA grows great in the kit. Just popped 4 more, myself.

# of plants varies with size of pot--I really don't like using anything smaller than a 7, and Duggan has me using 30 gal pots now with multiple plants in each one. Loving the results so far doing things that way--less time watering/feeding a million different pots, and the plants seem to love the extra room as well! One kit does 42-50 gals of soil depending on how you compact it. Bulk kit is 4x that.

...a regular kit (6 X 7 gallon) should get you through a normal grow...think 10 week flowering...longer sativa runs will see you run short of product, so a bulk kit would help in that regard, as well as set you up for a next run...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

Yeah I gave doc’s kit a close look a few days ago. My concern with it is how expensive will it be to keep everything stocked? I mean you run perpetually, how often do you have to buy the drenches, foliars, etc?

don’t get me wrong, I’d love to join the DBHBB crew here at 420. I just need an organic method that gets cheaper over the years.

haha! That would be extremely disappointing. Could’ve stayed home for that! It shouldn’t matter the season though right? Isn’t growing possible all year ‘round there?

For me that summarizes the kit exactly. Cooking the same soil over and over....and since buying the bulk kit I don't feel like I would need to order anything much for at least a year if not more. It is an expensive upfront cost....but is actually a really good deal in the long run.

Until I can make up my own super soil recipe, I am sticking with the kit.

Hey guys....I mix my own soil and can weigh in here on costs. Depending on your recipe....its going to be expensive up front, especially in a mix like my own. I have a lot of different inputs that I use in my soil so I think I spent about 400 bucks for my initial investment in amendments. That doesn't include the base soil mix, base EWC, perlite, coco (or peat-moss) and Humus which is usually about 100-120 bucks per batch. A batch will yield me about 55 gallons, maybe a little more or a little less.

Now the 400 bucks worth of amendments is enough for several batches of amendments. Some boxes I get 4 batches, others I can get 6 or 8 batches before needing to replace. If I had to put a dollar value on amendment cost per batch....I would probably say 60-70 bucks?? So I get about 55 gallons of soil for about 160-180 bucks. I re-amend after use so I don't have to buy a new batch each time. Also have to factor in that the re-amend costs go down per batch compared to a new batch. I use less than half of what I use for a new batch on most amendments....except for Ca and Mg. I run those at full strength. So costs do drop over time.....but initial costs are still high, especially for a mix like mine with 20+ different amendments. And I am water only other than the occasional ACT or top dressing.

I don't know that you are going to find a big price difference between doing your own or choosing the Kit unless you end up going No-Til and do your own composting. If I didn't like my own soil mix so well, I would be in the kit most likely.

Yup...Van..i know wat u say.....i used to make my own SS back in the day too.It worked great sometimes but i was only really guessing as to wat was really needed and how much , so there was too much guessing involved.
It did work good though...just not as reliable as our kit.
You have more experience than i did at the time and it shows with your success.
Cheers man!

Do like I do and it ain't so 'back-breaking'--put on some working clothes, and mix it by hand! I literally crawl around the tarp on all fours and break up/move/shuffle the soil/mycos/minerals/EWCs by hand. Takes about 15min per bale+30lbs EWC. I'll do 4-8 bales at a time....growing bulk!

:headbanger: :passitleft:
Once I get it all on the tarp I do exactly as you same and mix by hand....that way I can feel the big chunks and crush them up. Then I use a shovel to move it into the two totes I got. I usually do the totes in two layers....adding some water and pushing the shovel down to the bottom and twist all around and really "blend" it all together. I also alternate a scoops into each tote so they both have the same sort of mix......still kills my back.....but totally worth it.

I don't know that you are going to find a big price difference between doing your own or choosing the Kit unless you end up going No-Til and do your own composting. If I didn't like my own soil mix so well, I would be in the kit most likely.
I would be into giving your method a shot in the future.....since your plants look phenomenal. However, the kit is just really, really simple to use once you get the method down. I have a good couple of years left to explore the kit before trying to mix my own.

Yup...Van..i know wat u say.....i used to make my own SS back in the day too.It worked great sometimes but i was only really guessing as to wat was really needed and how much , so there was too much guessing involved.
It did work good though...just not as reliable as our kit.
You have more experience than i did at the time and it shows with your success.
Cheers man!
Enjoy your trip Duggs! :passitleft: :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom