Noob's First Grow: Indoor, Coco, 4 Plants

Your plants are spot on right now. Like you said, let them ride right now. The EC looks right and anything more would be a waist and will only give you problems. You got this. Nice

Yay! Was a little bumpy on takeoff, but very pleased you think they are looking good now. Appreciate the support and advice you, and others, provided to get them more stable. Happy Tuesday!

Thanks for the nice feedback. Looking at these little gals makes me happy! Today is DAY 25 of veg. I have been "staying the course" with no changes in light-height, nutrient concentration/NPK ratios, nor pH. Trying not to rock the boat!

I have been reading lots of different journals here over the past several weeks, studying up on the quadlining technique, which I am excited to try. Today I tried to capture some images of the node structure - was a bit tough given these babies are still quite short and bushy (but growing vertically quite a bit each day). I had to recruit Mrs. Bard to, um, "spread things," so I could snap some photos. Hard to find a way to articulate that without sounds x-rated! Ha!

My understanding is that I should allow the plants to keep going until they have 5+ nodes, and then cut just above node #4. Then go back and remove nodes #1 and #2, including the little shoots, etc., leaving a clean stem at the base. This leaves just nodes #3 and #4 on the plant. Apply some tension to the leaf branches coming off of #3 and #4 to allow light to penetrate where they meet the main stem, encouraging shoots to emerge. Is that the basic gist? There are really helpful, clear photos of what I think I am supposed to do in @Dutchman1990's journal. The plants in his demonstration are much more elongated and open than mine, which makes it a little harder for me to translate to my situation. I think that I have four nodes now on three of the plants - GSC, Purple Kush, and Trainwreck. And only three nodes right now on Green Crack.

Here are some photos...

GSC:
I think that there are four nodes right now, with a fifth just starting to emerge at the top?

Trainwreck:

Purple Kush:

Green Crack:

I am thinking that I should let them going a few more days, until each one has five clear nodes, and then top them back to just above node #4. What do folks think? Any guestimate on number of days until I should consider topping? Do I top and do the node #1/#2 remove at the same time, or space the surgeries out a little?

Thanks!

GSC and Purple Trainwreck look ready but the other two need a little more time. You can let them all just keep growing and top them all at once when they all look like the GSC and Trainwreck. I personally like to remove nodes 1 and 2 a day or two before topping instead of doing it all at once. It will ration out the stress a little bit. I don't start spreading anything out until the recover and show signs of good growth again.

The X's in the picture are the nodes to be removed. The 3's and 4's will be your 4 main nodes that will turn into your 4 main branches of the quadline. The straight line through is where to top at. Obviously don't top the leaves of node 4 but I couldn't quite figure out how not to make the line look like it wasn't going through those too.

Great. I will let them all go a couple more days and then follow what you shared. Diagram makes perfect sense. Basically I will end up with a "naked" steam below node #3, right? I will wait to apply tension for a bit afterwards.

Will definitely check in again with updated photos before I pull out the scalpel.

Thanks!

Great. I will let them all go a couple more days and then follow what you shared. Diagram makes perfect sense. Basically I will end up with a "naked" steam below node #3, right? I will wait to apply tension for a bit afterwards.

Will definitely check in again with updated photos before I pull out the scalpel.

Thanks!
Yup!

@Derbybud, @Asesino85 and anyone else who would like to chime in... We have a friend from the USA coming to visit soon. She is willing to bring a few light items with her, of things that we can't get easily here. I was going to ask her to bring some Great White. Can you recommend a mail-order place that has good prices on it? If you can't post here because of guidelines, can you message me? Thanks!

I get almost everything from amazon, very quick shipping also.✌

Thanks ECG. I get a TON of stuff from amazon as well (the Canadian version). However, I was having trouble finding Great White on both the Cdn and US amazon sites - just third party sellers. As I mentioned, I found Great White from the manufacturer for $1.99 shipping in the USA, so I'm going to do it that way, and have a friend bring it when she comes to visit. Thank you for stopping by, and thanks for the "Plant and Pest" posts from several years ago. I just discovered it in your signature line, and I am looking forward to studying it more closely, as well as your other journals.

Thanks for the nice feedback. Looking at these little gals makes me happy! Today is DAY 25 of veg. I have been "staying the course" with no changes in light-height, nutrient concentration/NPK ratios, nor pH. Trying not to rock the boat!

I have been reading lots of different journals here over the past several weeks, studying up on the quadlining technique, which I am excited to try. Today I tried to capture some images of the node structure - was a bit tough given these babies are still quite short and bushy (but growing vertically quite a bit each day). I had to recruit Mrs. Bard to, um, "spread things," so I could snap some photos. Hard to find a way to articulate that without sounds x-rated! Ha!

My understanding is that I should allow the plants to keep going until they have 5+ nodes, and then cut just above node #4. Then go back and remove nodes #1 and #2, including the little shoots, etc., leaving a clean stem at the base. This leaves just nodes #3 and #4 on the plant. Apply some tension to the leaf branches coming off of #3 and #4 to allow light to penetrate where they meet the main stem, encouraging shoots to emerge. Is that the basic gist? There are really helpful, clear photos of what I think I am supposed to do in @Dutchman1990's journal. The plants in his demonstration are much more elongated and open than mine, which makes it a little harder for me to translate to my situation. I think that I have four nodes now on three of the plants - GSC, Purple Kush, and Trainwreck. And only three nodes right now on Green Crack.

Here are some photos...

GSC:
I think that there are four nodes right now, with a fifth just starting to emerge at the top?

Trainwreck:

Purple Kush:

Green Crack:

I am thinking that I should let them going a few more days, until each one has five clear nodes, and then top them back to just above node #4. What do folks think? Any guestimate on number of days until I should consider topping? Do I top and do the node #1/#2 remove at the same time, or space the surgeries out a little?

Thanks!

Plants are looking good! @Asesino85 already got you covered but as long as the plant is strong and healthy it should take the topping and node removal well! Good job and keep it up!

Good evening, everyone! Hope that all is well.

Today is DAY 27 of veg for my first grow. Light intensity, nutrient EC, NPK and pH all remain unchanged, as things seem to be going well. I even am starting to pick up a little aroma when I open the tent.

It is also the first day of my attempt at "quadlining."

Here is what I did - removed nodes #1 and #2 from my GSC and Purple Kush. For whatever reason, my Trainwreck and Green Crack are a little further behind, so I left them alone today. Some before and after shots of what I did looks like...

GSC:

Before:

After:

Purple Kush:

Before:

After:

Trainwreck (no training today):

Green Crack:

In a few more days, I will take another look, and at that point repeat the same node-removal exercise on TW and GC. By that time I am guessing that GSC and PK will be ready for their topping (just above node #4).

Any feedback or suggestions appreciated! Have a great night everyone.

Happy Friday everyone!

Mail's in! Got some fun stuff in the post today:

Since I am just starting my quadlining adventure, I got some wire anchors for tying branches down, as well as some "yo-yos" - being optimistic about the large buds that I will need to support! Ha!

Also in the mail I got my small order from @SeedsMan. I thought I would try them out, as my other seed orders have all been from Canadian suppliers. Plus, I was really excited about a particular hybrid they offer called "Cream & Cheese" - it has a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio, but also very high overall levels. Seedsman threw in a couple of Alaskan Purple seeds as well - fun! The C&C will definitely be included in my grow #2. They did a nice job with very discreet packaging.

Happy Saturday everyone! Hope your weekend is off to a great start.

Some fun training today here. FYI, it is DAY 29 of veg stage.

On Thursday night, I started the quadline training, by removing the lower two nodes of my GSC and Purple Kush. My other two little gals - Trainwreck and Green Crack - weren't quite ready, so I left them alone.

Everyone continues to look healthy and vibrant, and so here is what I did today:

Green Crack:
Started training this one, by removing nodes #1 and #2. Here are before and after images (you can see what is left of the nodes at the base of the main stem):

I did the same thing today on the Trainwreck. However, the pics didn't turn out well enough to show the difference before and after - sorry!

It had been a day and a half since I removed the lower nodes from GSC and Purple Kush. So today they got topped - just above node #4. Before and after photos:

GSC:

Before:

After:

Close up of the main stem where top was removed - a bit of fluid escaping:

Purple Kush:

Before:

After:

I know I am late (it is Day 29) to be training the PK, since it is the only auto that I am growing. My understanding is that topping/training should be completed on autos by about Day 21. But up until now, I didn't think that it was ready to be trimmed as it was quite short and stocky. Hopefully I haven't done it too much damage!

Any feedback or suggestions from all of you would be appreciated. Have a great weekend.

Attachments

• Train pre node.JPG
    Train pre node.JPG
    623.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Train Post Node.JPG
    Train Post Node.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 10
I think it depends on the auto, some will go 5-6 weeks before flowering. Just gotta learn the strain.

Thanks PW. Yup, lots of learning going on for me, but I understand what you are saying. Dumb question, apologies, but are those pistils emerging from the main stem at the base of the branches on the Purple Kush? Last photo of my previous post...

Back
Top Bottom