Outdoor Organic Balcony Stealth Quadlining: White Widow/Gorgonzola

Sounds good!

Man, every time I see your plants, I feel the need to train my girls even more!!!!
Now where did I put the wire.... :)

Update on 1-GGa, Gorilla Glue Auto, and pest damage spotted. It is day 48 since it broke soil. It has been LST'ed which has allowed it to open out. The LST training did delay it from flowering I believe, as a growing friend also sprouting a seed of the same strain (from the same order!) on the same day, his is more developed than mine, but I presume it just means that mine stayed, perhaps 2 weeks longer in veg than his. Now mine is showing budlets and presumably advancing now towards into full bloom.

Along with my 2 Quadlined girls which are very horizontally trained, I don't have a lot of room left to play with on the balcony. So it a bit hard to tend to them, in an appropriately stealthy fashion and 1-GGa is furthest from my eye.

I can see some pest damage to some of the fan leaves around some of the flower head, but not all just some. Does anyone recognize what sort of pest damage that could be? I will try and get up close and personal with my camera later to see if I catch and spot any bugs in the area, so far I haven't spotted anything. I am not sure whether to instigate a pest spray, which I'd rather avoid given flowering has started, and after all, the damage seems to be so far only on some (dispensable?) fan leaves which I may well soon have been taking off anyway. I wonder is there any chance this damage like defoliation or supercropping could encourage the plant to step up in potency? Altho I think I am being hopeful there

Any thoughts/ideas much appreciated :hmmmm:

Yeah mate you want to get on to that!
You could paint neem carefully under each affected leaf (you don’t want it on your flowers though) even though it’d be a giant p.i.t.a.
I understand the go-to for pests in flower is spinosad. Let me know if you find any anywhere?
If you bought a little time with the neem that might let you order some Castile soap.
@InTheShed swears by it. Maybe he might have some ideas too?
You don’t even have to go to the garden shop if you have garlic? Squish/juice it into some milk and spray it on the underside of the leaves. I hear milk breaks down the soft exoskeleton of some of our greeblies.
GL mate!

I haven't seen that particular pest, Stunger. Definitely has the look of something small (not caterpillar, which takes huge chunks out of the leaves), like maybe some kind of spider mites or aphids. Just don't know. But you know what I would do, so I won't repeat it. I would be concerned about the quadlined girls getting attacked by the same bug, however. And what is that other plant in the corner? Did that plant have the bugs?

I haven't seen that particular pest, Stunger. Definitely has the look of something small (not caterpillar, which takes huge chunks out of the leaves), like maybe some kind of spider mites or aphids. Just don't know. But you know what I would do, so I won't repeat it. I would be concerned about the quadlined girls getting attacked by the same bug, however. And what is that other plant in the corner? Did that plant have the bugs?

Hi Emeraldo,

The plant in the corner is a rescued capsicum plant for my small vege garden that had finished fruiting and was going to be put in the compost when I realized it could instead be potted and used to block off the open corner gap of the balcony. It seems to like it's new location as it gets more sun now, as I see 1 or 2 new budding capsicums growing at the top.

Possibly the capsicum bought some bugs with it. I have seen that leaf damage pattern before on previous grows, but only on the fans leaves of one or two flower heads, never enough to bother doing anything about it. The damage pattern is like some insect has chomped out small bits of a leaf blade then rather than 'work' it way thru the whole leaf blade, has then 'hopped across' to the next leaf blade of the same fan leaf and again chomped at the same location, and seems to do most or all blades of a fan leaf in roughly the same locations so the damage has a visual pattern to it.

I was curious to know what sort of insect that could be. In the past it seemed as if something had landed on one or two fan leaves and methodically chomped a circular pattern across the leaf blades then buggered off never to return. I did find a couple of aphids on the underside of some leaves, but just a couple, no sign of them in worrying numbers. I did search online for leaf damage patterns and aphid damage but were unable to see similar damage patterns to this, so I have some doubt whether it is aphids.

Anyway, I read your post just as I was about to head to the garage and fetch my Neem oil and Insecticide soap, to mix together as you successfully applied. I am reluctant to spray with developing buds, even though I just again re-read your post in Arjan's Haze #1 about how it will dissipate off in a couple of weeks. So because the Gorilla Glue Auto is small, I am planning to wipe with a sponge or paper towel, the Neem/Insecticide soap on each individual leaf (under and over) of the GGa and will see how that goes, as it isn't a lot of leaves to do.

So far nothing seems to be bothering the 2 Quad girls. The Widow is a little bit more advanced than the Widow/Gorgonzola cross in her 30 liter pot. But anyway, I shall go apply the anti bug mixture now and keep an eye on the 2 Quad girls in case anything jumps over to them. Thanks:morenutes:

Yes, I applied the neem/potassium-soap mix every two weeks from late veg and about 5 weeks into flower. It was the only pest control I needed. The information I found was the double-whammy effect breaks down in about two weeks. So -- if you want to -- you can apply it up to about two weeks before harvest. I tried not to spray the buds directly, just leaves. Looking forward to your next photos of the quadlined girls... :p

Yes, I applied the neem/potassium-soap mix every two weeks from late veg and about 5 weeks into flower. It was the only pest control I needed. The information I found was the double-whammy effect breaks down in about two weeks. So -- if you want to -- you can apply it up to about two weeks before harvest. I tried not to spray the buds directly, just leaves. Looking forward to your next photos of the quadlined girls... :p
That is interesting that it breaks down in around 2 weeks, obviously reassuring to know, as it is certainly preferable upon harvest that no insecticide remains in the buds.

Visually, my 2 Quad girls don't appear to be troubled by any bugs that I can see at the moment. I'm tempted to not bother treating them as they seem quite strong, yet at the same time I am tempted to spray them just in case! I will deliberate on that for the time being. :hmmmm:

I applied the neem/potassium-soap mix by hand using a piece of cloth to dip into the mixture and 'wet brushed' the upper and under sides of the majority of leaves on 1-GGa while trying to avoid the developing bud sites. I think that should go a long way to deterring whatever was having a free lunch on my plant!

1-GGa (Gorilla Glue Auto) is still growing taller, she's about level now with 2-WW. I did adjust her LST training ties recently to lower the taller buds and separate them out a bit, but they have continued to get taller and more bud sites have appeared. So far, being my first Auto I am impressed with how strongly it is growing for it's age of 49 days.

I carried out a fairly decent thinning of the fan leaves on 2-WW & 3-WWG. Taking off about 220grams this morning. Combined with a thinning out 10 days or so ago, I must have easily taken off a combined 600grams of leaves from the 2 Quad girls now. The Gorgonzola Widow is a little behind 2-WW who is showing slightly more advanced 'bushing' up stem growth compared to 3-WWG but both are now showing bud sites.

Some pics from today as follows;

Amazing how you've trained the plants to fit within the space available! And they are looking good, pushing pistils now. Good growing, Stunger! Your green thumb is showing!

You might find it easier to spray the neem oil/soap on, drenching both sides of every leaf. Applying it by hand with a cloth seems like a lot of work and not as efficient. Why did you choose that method?

Amazing how you've trained the plants to fit within the space available! And they are looking good, pushing pistils now. Good growing, Stunger! Your green thumb is showing!

You might find it easier to spray the neem oil/soap on, drenching both sides of every leaf. Applying it by hand with a cloth seems like a lot of work and not as efficient. Why did you choose that method?
I choose to apply the mixture by hand with a cloth because 1-GGa is relatively small and does not have many leaves compared to the 2 Quad girls, and because I wanted to try to avoid spraying on the developing bud sites.

If the Neem/soap breaks down after 2 weeks it probably shouldn't matter, but I was just trying to be clever I guess and I thought if I applied it with a cloth I could get the benefit and avoid the bud sites. I know you try to avoid spraying the bud sites but if I was spraying the Quad girls, because they have been extensively supercropped it strikes me as hard to almost impossible to avoid the bud sites as there are so many of them now at the canopy level. But if there appears any hint of bugs on the Quad girls then I will spray them too.

Spinosad decays in sunlight and doesn't brown your pistils or add any flavor to your buds like neem can. It's safe in flower (doesn't work on mites though), and all outside buds should be washed at harvest anyway. Spinosad will wash off but neem is too oily.

That sounds ideal.

Am trying to get a better understanding of these botanical oil and insecticidal soap options. Here's an interesting blog:

I also very much like the idea of washing bud as part of harvesting/drying to get rid of contaminants.

When I had problems with pest outside last summer (it wasn't cannabis, but worked on every plant I tried it on) I got and followed a suggestion from a farmer from here. Organic soap, mix it down with plenty of water, and go to town on the leaves. Worked like a charm. It sounds very much like most of the suggestions above.
Just find the right soap, make sure you avoid the flowers as much as possible. Get out some good music or whatever, sit down and spray every leaf with care.

Spinosad decays in sunlight and doesn't brown your pistils or add any flavor to your buds like neem can. It's safe in flower (doesn't work on mites though), and all outside buds should be washed at harvest anyway. Spinosad will wash off but neem is too oily.
I looked and saw only one product apparently available from a Gro shop here in NZ with Spinosad, not sure why it isn't sold elsewhere. It sounded like it worked similar to the BT powder that I mixed up to spray against caterpillars last year, that worked well and was non toxic.

Am trying to get a better understanding of these botanical oil and insecticidal soap options. Here's an interesting blog:
They give a good overview of options.

I also very much like the idea of washing bud as part of harvesting/drying to get rid of contaminants.
That is an intriguing thought. At first I am immediately concerned that it would bust off lots of trichomes. Or the lemon juice and hot water options may dissolve them. But I have read of lots of people attesting to having once tried it, to not wanting unwashed bud again.

For my drying this season I was thinking of trying to dry the whole plant as I have read many good things about that. But doing so would rule out budwashing as I don't know how I can wash them, I'd need a spa bath if I kept them whole. Washing cut colas in modest wash/rinse buckets would be a lot easier. I also read someone's posting recently, where they solely recommended using a H2O2 washed and RO water rinse, no lemon or bicarbonate of soda.
I wonder what is better if you could only do one, cutting the plants up and washing them, or no washing but drying whole.

When I had problems with pest outside last summer (it wasn't cannabis, but worked on every plant I tried it on) I got and followed a suggestion from a farmer from here. Organic soap, mix it down with plenty of water, and go to town on the leaves. Worked like a charm. It sounds very much like most of the suggestions above.
Just find the right soap, make sure you avoid the flowers as much as possible. Get out some good music or whatever, sit down and spray every leaf with care.
Must be useful as soaps are often mentioned, and easy to find at hand if needed quickly. I have read good things about milk which altho sounded surprising apparently can work great too. Altho someone mentioned the milk had contributed to a mold problem. Avoiding the flowers seems pretty hard to do with a sprayer, or mine at least, of course you would try to avoid blasting them but I'd imagine they would still get sprayed - but I guess as long as the intention is there, haha.

For my drying this season I was thinking of trying to dry the whole plant as I have read many good things about that. But doing so would rule out budwashing as I don't know how I can wash them, I'd need a spa bath if I kept them whole. Washing cut colas in modest wash/rinse buckets would be a lot easier. I also read someone's posting recently, where they solely recommended using a H2O2 washed and RO water rinse, no lemon or bicarbonate of soda.
I wonder what is better if you could only do one, cutting the plants up and washing them, or no washing but drying whole.

You should definitely try drying your plants whole. You will never look back. You can still do a bud wash by dipping a few branches at the time. You don't have to use buckets, use something that's shaped to allow you to dip parts of it. I've done it by dipping a few colas at the time. A larger bucket or a flat bath of some kind. You don't have to get 4 wash buckets, one is enough.

You should definitely try drying your plants whole. You will never look back. You can still do a bud wash by dipping a few branches at the time. You don't have to use buckets, use something that's shaped to allow you to dip parts of it. I've done it by dipping a few colas at the time. A larger bucket or a flat bath of some kind. You don't have to get 4 wash buckets, one is enough.
Both of my Quadlined girls are rather 'bulky' in shape if they are to be budwashed whole, their supercropped canopy branches are somewhat 'interlocked' in places so yeah, I will have a think about what I could find suitable in which to budwash them even partially. The bigger one (3-WWG) is over 1.3meters across, almost 4.5 feet, the smaller one (2-WW) is slightly less than 4 feet across. Their bulk will make it something of a challenge as their Quadlined training makes them fairly rigid in their shape.

The Gorilla Glue Auto, I adjusted her LST training wires yesterday to level out the flower heads a bit better. It's shape is fairly open because of the length of the branches, but no worries, it's good for the sunshine coverage. The bug damage seems old now and there doesn't appear to be any fresh damage, but I'll keep an eye on it all the same. It's buds are developing but haven't yet started to thicken out but shouldn't be too far away from doing so.

Here are a couple of updated pics of my 2 Quadlined girls. The White Widow (2-WW) is a little ahead of her step sister the Widow/Gorgonzola cross, but both are starting to develop bud wise. :slide: :hookah: :slide:

The plants are looking great Stunger!
hot water options may dissolve them.
Room temp is fine. The original bud wash post on the site included hot water but I don't think that's done any more. Feel free to cut the branches off and wash and hang them individually.
I also read someone's posting recently, where they solely recommended using a H2O2 washed and RO water rinse, no lemon or bicarbonate of soda.
I wash in diluted H2O2 because it kills PM and bugs. Tent folks seem to go more for the lemon/baking soda. No RO water needed for any of it. Do shake the water off after the rinse and put a fan on them for a few hours to drive off the wash moisture.
Must be useful as soaps are often mentioned,
I use and recommend Dr Bronner's unscented castille soap!
You should definitely try drying your plants whole.
Much of that depends on the RH where you dry your plants. Folks in dry climates will get a longer dry when hung whole, but folks in higher RH climates might find their buds molded if the plant is dried whole.
You don't have to get 4 wash buckets, one is enough.
I'd recommend two: one to wash and one to rinse. If you're outside you can rinse with a light spray with a hose.

Both of my Quadlined girls are rather 'bulky' in shape if they are to be budwashed whole, their supercropped canopy branches are somewhat 'interlocked' in places so yeah, I will have a think about what I could find suitable in which to budwash them even partially. The bigger one (3-WWG) is over 1.3meters across, almost 4.5 feet, the smaller one (2-WW) is slightly less than 4 feet across. Their bulk will make it something of a challenge as their Quadlined training makes them fairly rigid in their shape.

The Gorilla Glue Auto, I adjusted her LST training wires yesterday to level out the flower heads a bit better. It's shape is fairly open because of the length of the branches, but no worries, it's good for the sunshine coverage. The bug damage seems old now and there doesn't appear to be any fresh damage, but I'll keep an eye on it all the same. It's buds are developing but haven't yet started to thicken out but shouldn't be too far away from doing so.

Here are a couple of updated pics of my 2 Quadlined girls. The White Widow (2-WW) is a little ahead of her step sister the Widow/Gorgonzola cross, but both are starting to develop bud wise. :slide: :hookah: :slide:

The plants look amazing, mate. They'll end up with massive colas. I see what you mean by it's being tricky to wash whole.

Much of that depends on the RH where you dry your plants. Folks in dry climates will get a longer dry when hung whole, but folks in higher RH climates might find their buds molded if the plant is dried whole.

You're absolutely right there. Where I live it's very humid. Now during winter we normally have a rH of 70-80%. I use circulating fans in the dry room when I think it's needed. My last harvested plant I had hanging for 2 weeks, and she could have dried a few more days.

I'd recommend two: one to wash and one to rinse. If you're outside you can rinse with a light spray with a hose.

I meant 4 baths, but using the same bucket/bath tub for all 4.

I have to do things here pretty stealthily and furtively, I don't have a dedicated dry room or tent, and it gets pretty humid here some days, so I am a little concerned about mold developing in the event of a whole plant drying. I will possibly use a dehumidifier for a couple of hours at a time to try and keep the humidity and any mold in check. If bud washing is the priority then maybe cutting the colas off to wash could the pragmatic solution.

The plants look amazing, mate. They'll end up with massive colas. I see what you mean by it's being tricky to wash whole.
I'd like to dry the plants whole if I can, but as you can see because of the trained shape of them it does look tricky doing so unless I had something like a nice round spa bath that I could use, which I don't, and besides if I put sufficient water into something like a spa bath I'd probably need a few gallons of H2O2 to get the desired percentage.

Anyway, as long as all continues to goes well harvest is still going to be 5 - 7 weeks away. The excitement is building!
:slide::goof::slide:

Back
Top Bottom