Radogast 2016 - The Neverending Growing

Congrats on your harvest, Rad! Your girls did you proud :)

I had to laugh at your description of the slightly surreal conversations one has (or overhears) in hydro stores. Especially with really, really smart grow store proprietors, I'm always aware of the subtext underneath our discussion about tomatoes and improving their "fruit" :) And I know that just about anyone seeing and hearing me in a hydro store would definitely think, "civilian" ;)

Congrats on your harvest, Rad! Your girls did you proud :)

I had to laugh at your description of the slightly surreal conversations one has (or overhears) in hydro stores. Especially with really, really smart grow store proprietors, I'm always aware of the subtext underneath our discussion about tomatoes and improving their "fruit" :) And I know that just about anyone seeing and hearing me in a hydro store would definitely think, "civilian" ;)

The hardest part of telling that story was 'Thirties woman customer.' My first choice was 'Trophy wife', which sounded like she was older and snobbish. I then tried 'Trophy MILF' which was both sexist and degrading. 'Suburban housewife' which again sounds like she is attached to a man to gain value. but I was struggling to describe a person who appeared a privileged woman who seems to be married with young children that others take care of so she has time to go shopping for her hobby growing indoor plants. I know we aren't supposed to judge, but we have to observe and make suppositions, don't we? :)

I'm glad I chose 'Thirties woman customer' because everything else seemed so offensive, and I wouldn't want to reveal my inner caveman, now would I ;)

My wife has a medical card which, as of this writing, still authorizes a medical grow op. I avoid subtext and subtlety in public. I'm proud of a state legal medical grow in a state that approved Medical Marijuana in all but 2 voting precincts. I think we have a great chance to become a recreational state by December.

Today was scheduled for work from home plus laundry day. Then I noticed the family of four (two teenagers) finished all but two bowls from my 7 quarts of stew last night! So, I also had to cook today - 3 gallons of Chili. I am not! cooking tomorrow.

I finally took a look at the basement girls a few minutes ago.

OMG the basement needs hours of work. Trimming trays, wash buckets and scissors on the couch. I am NOT taking a photo.

With the two harvested pots now free, White Widow Ava and Caramelicious Latrice Royale are ready for immediate transplant.

Coming around the corner to the room I see a new hue of light under the door from the AgroMax Pure PAR T5s I installed yesterday.

20160201_183645.jpg

My seed, Fauna, was invisible under the soil before the fall, and invisible somewhere today. Hopefully, she is in the empty pot in second row right (behind Latrice Royale.)

20160201_183103-1-1.jpg

Here are my favorite girls in veg this week: AK47 Bonnie. Topped once with a gentle LST of the two new heads.

20160201_183038.jpg

20160201_182955-1.jpg

Snowcap Stacy, firmly LST'd. Now under the Pure PAR T5s. Something about that hue is tiring, but much better than the way my LEDs affect me.

20160201_183255-1.jpg

Borderliner Iman, topped twice and growing tall before flowering. I mght go another month.

20160201_183337-1.jpg

Thanks for the chuckles Radogast, looking great as always. Good luck on the Herbie seeds also. And good luck on becoming legal this year, it is nice to be legal.

:love::cco::love:

Thanks for the chuckles Radogast, looking great as always. Good luck on the Herbie seeds also. And good luck on becoming legal this year, it is nice to be legal.

:love::cco::love:

I'm not really in the Herbie's thread for the seeds. I'm mostly enjoying making bad and obscure captions for the photo.

Several years ago I spent a year doing poetry. Then I spend a month writing a short book.

I don't often apply myself, but I enjoy verbal creativity, especially stuff that makes me smile :)

Thanks right back at ya,RSOil. The more threads I explore, the more I see your wisdom and humor.

I'm not really in the Herbie's thread for the seeds. I'm mostly enjoying making bad and obscure captions for the photo.

I agree with you there mate, i have no real need for more seeds just a really good laugh over there, i hope someone wins that needs them ;)

Transplant Day

Since we recently had a two plant harvest, it was a good day to transplant into the newly emptied pots.

First up, Car Latrice Royale. Topped once, I have 4 budsites now. I am considering topping again for 8 or more budsites.

20160202_124610-1.jpg

Second, WW Ava. She was topped similar to Latrice Royale.

20160202_124619-1.jpg

Ava in front, Latrice in back (because it's always easier to place the first pot in the back and the second pot in front :rofl:)

20160202_131436-2.jpg

Early Veg after transplants: GSC Annabelle C1 in front of AK47 Bonnie (left), Rhl Fauna, HWS Flower, Car Quiffa C3, Car Sassy C2 (center), Ava and Latrice (right).

20160202_131413.jpg

I only plan to run one of the Car clones alongside Car seedling Latrice Royale. Quiffa is preferred but her clone is struggling, Sassy was only planted as a backup. After 6 weeks in the cloner, the second Quiffa clone finally sent out roots. If she takes, the new Quiffa will be grown while the Quiffa and Sassy pictured above will be buried in the worm trays.

Car Quiffa C3 - showing roots after 6 weeks and 2 trims in the cloner

20160202_131809-1.jpg

Quiffa in the soil.

20160202_132018-1.jpg

A closeup shows the Quiffa clones went into flower under weaker 16/8 light, forcing them to reveg and grow when planted.

20160202_131916-2.jpg

Smells like Teen Spirit

In the last post I mentioned I might top newly-transplanted Ava and Latrice Royale - too late for Ava, puberty has arrived and spread to almost every plant in veg.

40 day old Ava showing alternating nodes.

20160202_215626-1.jpg

40 day old Latrice Royale, still has paired branching, so I pinched the two leaders to encourage more branching.

20160202_215915-1.jpg

Much older Borderliner Iman, also showing alternate branching today.

20160202_215613-1.jpg

It really does smell like teen spirit hit the veg area today :)

Maybe it's the fresh worm compost :)

Can still top with alternating nodes :) branches just wont be exactly parallel with each other, pretty much what i have been doing with Atomic#2 :thumb:
Everything is looking real good in here mate, love that last pic of Borderliner Iman, looking so lush and healthy :circle-of-love:

Are you meaning to say that if I top an alternating node branch it will force growth at the two lower nodes?

I haven't played with it much, but what I have seen is the topping mature plants seems to force growth at ALL the lower nodes. I ended up with furry sticks or new sprouts from the rootstock. It might have been because my branches were thin and not robust.

Please correct my thinking here. The only way I have successfully guided branching on a mature plant is LST. I'd love to learn another way.

Topping GSC clone Annabelle - starting as a skinny, alternating node clone

20151224_175236-1.jpg

She grew up as a single stick after this photo.

(Sorry no photo found)

Topping her and waiting a week or so created multiple trunks

20160105_145556-1.jpg

Multiple trunks after LST.

20160128_214605.jpg

Are you meaning to say that if I top an alternating node branch it will force growth at the two lower nodes?

Yep it forces all the growth to the lower nodes on the branch just like topping, however you should be able to get the same results from lst, all depends on how you want them to grow hehe, i have always topped my plants in the past all the way through veg, people say it decreases yield but i have had better results vs el naturale lol, Atomic#2 i am sticking with topping due to the strain, flimsy branches that cant hold their own weight which i found out after this current grow and its split stock. Also been messing with lst, fim, flux for the past 2 years so wanting to go back to what i know. Best bet though is to have a play around, if you are in no rush to get them into flower, quite a lot can be done in veg :)

Yep it forces all the growth to the lower nodes on the branch just like topping, however you should be able to get the same results from lst, all depends on how you want them to grow hehe, i have always topped my plants in the past all the way through veg, people say it decreases yield but i have had better results vs el naturale lol, Atomic#2 i am sticking with topping due to the strain, flimsy branches that cant hold their own weight which i found out after this current grow and its split stock. Also been messing with lst, fim, flux for the past 2 years so wanting to go back to what i know. Best bet though is to have a play around, if you are in no rush to get them into flower, quite a lot can be done in veg :)

In my experience:
Topping a parallel branching plant gives precise results.
Topping an alternating node plant is imprecise - For these girls, LST works better for me :)

On Jan 1, I recieved a PM from OlderGrower. With humble words he told me he was giving away his December Member of the Month prizes to the other nominees.

I replied:
As my wife said, "That is so sweet! I don't know what to say."

The magical butter machine is VERY MUCH appreciated. My wife has wanted one since she first heard of them. I thank you for your very generous offer and am SURE this machine will be used, at the very least, for cannabutter and oil for a herbal salve recipe her friend in Alaska has created.

I am tearfully grateful. This generosity on New Year's Day is a great way for you to set in motion a pattern of prosperity for the new year. I... blah blah blah

I am very grateful. In order to avoid the appearance of vote rigging for Member of the Year, OlderGrower has kept quiet and asked me to keep quiet until that contest was settled - CONGRATS AGAIN SweetSue !

So my wife's share of the prize arrived today.

20160204_144547-1.jpg

20160204_144648-1.jpg

Hey Rad, just seeing what your up to. Looking good my friend, as all ways. As far as topping, all my strains love it and I like making Bushes better than Trees. What I do is, 3 - Sets and top, 3 - sets and top, 3 - Sets and top and then 6 - Sets and Clone all the tops back Sets and that makes a real nice Bush and 8 additional plants. But that's just me. Good job brother. TOAST

Hey Rad, just seeing what your up to. Looking good my friend, as all ways. As far as topping, all my strains love it and I like making Bushes better than Trees. What I do is, 3 - Sets and top, 3 - sets and top, 3 - Sets and top and then 6 - Sets and Clone all the tops back Sets and that makes a real nice Bush and 8 additional plants. But that's just me. Good job brother. TOAST

Hey thanks ... I was just over at your place 10 minutes ago. Looks like you are going to have a lot of followers this year :)

There is no way I am keepng 8 clones per bush, I can't afford to have them breeding and covering a hillside like rabbits.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm pretty sure Johnny law knows we grow, I know of 3 other suspected grows within 1 block, but only one of them suspects me:thedoubletake: It's rather important we keep everything tucked away out of sight and state legal :)

I can understand how 3 nodes top, 3 nodes top ... works well for seedlings. I have one of those just topped for the second time this week.

Where I get bemused, look at my profile photo - I get bemused:), is with clones with alternating nodes---- Do you follow the same method for clones?

3 nodes top, 3 nodes top seedling Latrice Royale

20160202_215915-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom