Hi Fudo, my earthboxes hold 10 gallons of soil, 2 gallons of water I think,maybe less I forget really, and have two, 3 x 3 x 3 feet if that helps. I think you're in the ballpark. If you think you have too much just put a rock in it to displace maybe.
Last grow was auto water. I turned it on and didn't look back. This grow I'm waiting 2 days to turn it on and plan to let it stay on again.
Thanks Otter, that helps a lot! I picked 12 gallon totes because the dimensions were closest to the Earthbox, the foot dimension is what I was missing. A rock, brilliant! Ever see a crow do that?

I have a question for you who know.. and forgive me if this question doesn't belong here.
My wife and I decided we are going to try using Unsulfured Blackstrap molasses instead of the Bokashi sauce for the Sour Diesel SIP grow..
My question to this is..
When people talk about bringing the Brix up...
Are they referring to the Brix as in wine Brix?

IMG_20240323_075621.jpg

My understanding is the the Brix is a measure of dissolved sugars in the leaves (the plant really, we test the leaves) so yes, same as in grapes for wine. BUT, we're testing leaf liquid and you likely won't get anywhere near enough to test with your tube. We use a light refractometer to give us the reading.

My 2 cents - Last year was my first foray into the SIP world. I built a 6' X 2' X 2' (almost like a coffin, lol) up on legs. I had 3 canna ladies in there. I kept the resevoir full all the time. The ladies did alright. On hindsight, I'll start with top water for awhile to develope a better root system. When I took it down for winter, the soil was too moist (but growing outdoors). Probably whould drop the drain hole. Seems it doesn't need so much resevoir. Happy Smokin'

My 2 cents - Last year was my first foray into the SIP world. I built a 6' X 2' X 2' (almost like a coffin, lol) up on legs. I had 3 canna ladies in there. I kept the resevoir full all the time. The ladies did alright. On hindsight, I'll start with top water for awhile to develope a better root system. When I took it down for winter, the soil was too moist (but growing outdoors). Probably whould drop the drain hole. Seems it doesn't need so much resevoir. Happy Smokin'
I think that's true most of the time/season, especially if you can keep it watered during the hottest days, but a larger reservoir would help there if you can't.

If found watering them a bit less early on helps develop better roots that they can then use later on for better growth.

You'll likely get a blend of roots doing it that way. Some thick, white water seeking roots and some of the fine feeder roots.

By keeping water in the reservoir all the time you'd fill the pot with the fine feeder roots almost entirely since the plant has access to all the water it needs so it doesn't have to spend energy creating the roots that look for water.
Ok , thanks for info @Azimuth 👌

By keeping water in the reservoir all the time you'd fill the pot with the fine feeder roots almost entirely since the plant has access to all the water it needs so it doesn't have to spend energy creating the roots that look for water.
@ThirdUncle But that doesn't mean keeping the reservoir full all the time per the discussion we're having above.

I like to have some water down there for the early roots to discover and adapt to, but I only provide as much as the plant will drink in a day or two as I get better growth early that way.

Day 21 of a total of 74...

Stretch/height for the day is..

Black African Magic > 1/2" / 35 1/2"
Black African Magic #2 > 2 1/2" / 48 1/2" > no topping, no training and 11 days younger !
Malawi x Panama > 1 1/2" / 39 1/2"
Cafe Racer > 3" / 47"

24 Mar The Girls day 21.jpg

Cheers, eh ?
Girls look fantastic Buddy :high-five::bravo:
Just curious is your light at 100%?:Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hi
I have an idea I want to run past the panel. But even if you are not part of the panel I'd take advice. I want to try SIP next grow and I've been looking at a few ideas about how to do it. Today I kind of had a light bulb moment when I dropped a 2.5 gal pot into a 5 gal bucket. Is this a legit start to a sip? If the answer is yes, then I have a few questions. Pics below for reference.
1. Should I perforate the pot, and how large should holes be?
2. Does the fill tube need to be really tight or can there be 1-2mm play? Duct tape gasket??
3. Planning on about 1 gal reservoir, this leaves a large air space. Should I cut down the pot to make it shorter-and also more room for soil.

Bo says hi

Is this a legit start to a sip?
Yep, that's the idea.

1. Should I perforate the pot, and how large should holes be?
Many small holes are good for aeration. I make dozens of them all over that inner container with a soldering iron. Mine are maybe 1/8"?

2. Does the fill tube need to be really tight or can there be 1-2mm play? Duct tape gasket??
I try to make it tight to keep soil out of the reservoir but it's not a huge issue. Not sure I'd use duct tape though with all the glue and all. I'd probably jam the pipe through a food grade storage bag or something that will fill in the gap. But even if not, it's not that big a deal and some soil inevitably makes it into my reservoir.

They way I do mine is to cut off a short stub piece of the pipe and reattach it with a connector. The connector is too big to go through the hole and forms a good enough seal, and the short stub piece that goes through into the reservoir ensures that the bottom of the pipe is never below the water line even with a full rez.

Also, I use two fill tubes in mine on opposite sides of the pot. I feel it gives a chance for better air flow but totally not necessary.

3. Planning on about 1 gal reservoir, this leaves a large air space. Should I cut down the pot to make it shorter-and also more room for soil.
I would make the inner pot shorter so there is more room for soil and make some small holes in the rim (now bottom) of that smaller one so water can leak out, though they can be really small. Alternatively you could just put a thin layer of perlite or something down first so there isn't a good seal between the containers.

Also, don't bottom out the fill tube against the bottom so it's easier for the water to get into the reservoir. And don't forget the overflow hole in the bucket.

Looks like you're off to a good start! :thumb:

I'd make the tube tight, as my system is all perfect moulded and snug parts that fit really well and the roots still try very much to enter the reservoir at where the tube meets the reservoir as they sense there's a gap there, they can't get through it as it's too tight, but they know it's there.. my tube is also made from two parts and where the seam is where they click together they encircle that part too.

IMG_1711391930043.JPEG

I'd make the tube tight, as my system is all perfect moulded and snug parts that fit really well and the roots still try very much to enter the reservoir at where the tube meets the reservoir as they sense there's a gap there, they can't get through it as it's too tight, but they know it's there.. my tube is also made from two parts and where the seam is where they click together they encircle that part too.

IMG_1711391930043.JPEG
Cool queer leaves!

My new auto. Cherry cola from fast buds. Still top watering with a little bit of mega crop. Using all promix hp in the earth box. I started this one in the pot. I know it’s not gonna root like my photo has but how long you guys think before it’ll start drinking from the reservoir

IMG_0326.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom