Small Space Grow#3 - JillyBean - Strawberry Diesel - Chemmy Jones

Re: Small space grow#3-JillyBean-Strawberry Diesel-Chemmy Jones--

He's in soil and has had no problems.....by the way, have you seen his plants? They are crazy beautiful. I've been growing (in soil) 25 plus years and don't own a pH tester, never needed it. I bought one when I tried hydro many years ago and threw it away when I found out what a PITA it was (hydro and pH tester). Soil is a great buffer unless you are growing bushes in a 16 oz cup.

Pretty much what I was going to say.....

In a decent sized container of soil, not only is checking pH not necessary.....adjusting pH could very well be harmful!

Why? What is the source of such an evil, heretical statement? Am I possessed by the spirit of Richard Nixon? Why would I want to kill all them plants?

1.)soil is a powerful buffer. With decent water, healthy soil will adjust pH all by itself forever. With crappy water, a large container of soil will hold pH steady for months....usually long enough to complete a grow.

2.)adding pH down (phosphoric acid usually) wipes out the microherd and messes with the balance of minerals in the soil.

3.)Adding pH UP (usually potassium hydroxide) will do the same thing!

Also, having the ionic forms of P and K floating around (using pH adujusters) will make the other forms of P and K in the soil unavailable to the plant and dead/dying microherd.

Bottom line:

Don't pH your feed/water if you're in soil. There's no upside....only a downside.

I know that many people will consider me a heretic for saying this---I laugh at them and do not care one bit what they think---I only say it to those who are willing to grow past the pot-forum mythology of growing and embrace science in their grows.

I haven't checked, let alone adjusted pH in well over a year. I've actually had plants grow too.

Hydroponics is different.

subbed!!!!!! quix buddy!!!! awesome!!! glad i found this....:peace::adore::thumb:
docbud i have a question for you,, im planning on doing a test run for bpn of their new organic line in coco, my puzzle is this normaly i adjust ph to 5.5-5.8 with my 2 part chem ferts, but with this im wondering how i should proceed,,,mix organics DONT adjust ph and hope for the best, or....what would you do, if you were gonna try organics in coco that are untested? i have clones waiting on my decision lol:adore::thanks:

Coco isn't soil, so results would be different. I, too, am toying with Coco right now for the first time, and although it "looks" like soil, it is not. Soil has lifeforms in it, coco is sterile. If I'm correct, for coco to act as soil, all the necessities must be added...Data to follow next year probably, I like to really test something before I make a premature decision...

Coco isn't soil, so results would be different. I, too, am toying with Coco right now for the first time, and although it "looks" like soil, it is not. Soil has lifeforms in it, coco is sterile. If I'm correct, for coco to act as soil, all the necessities must be added...Data to follow next year probably, I like to really test something before I make a premature decision...

i really like coco,the growth rate is crazy but i really want to use organics again, i enjoy caring for the microherd, i keep a tote full of worms around,i compost,etcim big on "go green" but if i cant do organics in coco so be it, :( but im gonna try 1 any way i have mykos to add and humate,worm tea etc, i know coco has some buffer to it so what can it hurt to try ,(i lose a clone? eh no biggie)

I'm currently testing a few plants on a soil/coco mix in different ratios. Using it to cut some FFOF too, instead of with the pricey Light Warrior. Pretty bags make slim wallets. Bricks over pretty bags any day brother!

subbed!!!!!! quix buddy!!!! awesome!!! glad i found this....:peace::adore::thumb:
docbud i have a question for you,, im planning on doing a test run for bpn of their new organic line in coco, my puzzle is this normaly i adjust ph to 5.5-5.8 with my 2 part chem ferts, but with this im wondering how i should proceed,,,mix organics DONT adjust ph and hope for the best, or....what would you do, if you were gonna try organics in coco that are untested? i have clones waiting on my decision lol:adore::thanks:

Sorry bro....I'm ignorant of coco and its properties. Any advice I might give wouldn't be worth much. I know that coco has very different properties than soil.....but that's about as far as I go.

You want to ask me about soil or mediums other than coco? I can help you there.

i really like coco,the growth rate is crazy but i really want to use organics again, i enjoy caring for the microherd, i keep a tote full of worms around,i compost,etcim big on "go green" but if i cant do organics in coco so be it, :( but im gonna try 1 any way i have mykos to add and humate,worm tea etc, i know coco has some buffer to it so what can it hurt to try ,(i lose a clone? eh no biggie)

If you can keep the mineral content of coco in balance, keep the CE proper and keep a vibrant microherd happy.....pH shouldn't be a problem.

The question is how to do that? What to add? I don't know.....

Sorry bro....I'm ignorant of coco and its properties. Any advice I might give wouldn't be worth much. I know that coco has very different properties than soil.....but that's about as far as I go.

You want to ask me about soil or mediums other than coco? I can help you there.

If you can keep the mineral content of coco in balance, keep the CE proper and keep a vibrant microherd happy.....pH shouldn't be a problem.

The question is how to do that? What to add? I don't know.....

well i add pelletized Epsom garden lime more or less the same thing as cal/mag for the calcium hungry coco, seems to work well so i was thinking ...uh oh! we just mixed up some killer soil last week its been pumped up with all the organic goodies from the bpn 7 part organic line(new testing formula) inoculated with bio juice soil activator/dark matter humate tea and mykos. what if i did 1/2 coco 1/2 soil im thinking it would possibly get the oxygen rich insane growth of coco, and the benefits of organic micro-herd rich soil,,in theory...what ya think???:thumb: yea or nay?
see i would love to not have to constantly play with ph...
one drawback is i wash and reuse my coco, im guessing i cant do that if i mix it with soil,,,,or can i??? hmmmmm

Hello folks....Heres the latest in Quix's corner. Any and all are welcome to chime in with questions, comments and concerns.

What Strain is it? Strawberry Diesel (F)-from Holy Smoke x1
JillyBean (R)-from TGA Subcool x2
Chemmy Jones (R)-from Connoisseur x2

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? All hybrid, not sure of %
How Many Plants? 5
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?Veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How long? SD and JB are 2 weeks above ground and Chemmy J.s are 1 week above ground
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil-
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 50-50 Happy frog and Perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 2 gallon for now
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? Starting with 125 actual watt 6400k CFL, 8 spirals, and a 150 wHPS
Is it Air Cooled? Eh, Kinda...
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Should stay between 68 and 80 depending on time
RH of Room/Cabinet? 20-50
PH of Medium? Dont know, never had to worry about it...Don't hate:thumb:Any Pests? Not yet:wood:
How often are you Watering? When they get dry duh!
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? FF Grow Big, FF Big Bloom, and FF Tiger Bloom for flower. I suppliment with Superthrive while they are young, Molasses throughout the grow, and Snow Storm Ultra during flower. I also innoculate the soil with Miccorhizae before planting. If needed I also use Magical (Cal/Mag)
Size or Square Footage of Room? :rofl::rofl::rofl:...2x2 footprint!!!...x6' high or so.

Pics to come soon....

hey quix whats the story on chemmy jones? it it a chemdog relative? im growing a chemdog sometime in the near future, just curious i think this is gonna be a kick ass grow! im so glad to see you back and journaling:thumb::circle-of-love::thumb:

hey quix whats the story on chemmy jones? it it a chemdog relative? im growing a chemdog sometime in the near future, just curious i think this is gonna be a kick ass grow! im so glad to see you back and journaling:thumb::circle-of-love::thumb:

I'm GUESSING Chem Dawg x Casey Jones

He's in soil and has had no problems.....by the way, have you seen his plants? They are crazy beautiful. I've been growing (in soil) 25 plus years and don't own a pH tester, never needed it. I bought one when I tried hydro many years ago and threw it away when I found out what a PITA it was (hydro and pH tester). Soil is a great buffer unless you are growing bushes in a 16 oz cup.

Thank you for the compliments OG13, it's always a an honor to have you around...I'll have to get over and see how the Arduino is coming along, VERY interresting stuff.
Anyone who is interested in building your own environmental controls should give OG's thread a peep, it'll blow your mind.:Namaste:

Pretty much what I was going to say.....

In a decent sized container of soil, not only is checking pH not necessary.....adjusting pH could very well be harmful!

Why? What is the source of such an evil, heretical statement? Am I possessed by the spirit of Richard Nixon? Why would I want to kill all them plants?

1.)soil is a powerful buffer. With decent water, healthy soil will adjust pH all by itself forever. With crappy water, a large container of soil will hold pH steady for months....usually long enough to complete a grow.

2.)adding pH down (phosphoric acid usually) wipes out the microherd and messes with the balance of minerals in the soil.

3.)Adding pH UP (usually potassium hydroxide) will do the same thing!

Also, having the ionic forms of P and K floating around (using pH adujusters) will make the other forms of P and K in the soil unavailable to the plant and dead/dying microherd.

Bottom line:

Don't pH your feed/water if you're in soil. There's no upside....only a downside.

I know that many people will consider me a heretic for saying this---I laugh at them and do not care one bit what they think---I only say it to those who are willing to grow past the pot-forum mythology of growing and embrace science in their grows.

I haven't checked, let alone adjusted pH in well over a year. I've actually had plants grow too.

Hydroponics is different.

Thank you for the confirmation Doc, you're a ledgend and it's an honor to have you chime in on my tiny little grow. All I know is if anyone were to see your grows, they'd not call you a heretic, but rather ask you for your secret to such beautiful flowers.:Namaste:

Thank you for the compliments OG13, it's always a an honor to have you around...I'll have to get over and see how the Arduino is coming along, VERY interresting stuff.
Anyone who is interested in building your own environmental controls should give OG's thread a peep, it'll blow your mind.:Namaste:

i have lurked his journal, astounding at the least, its been a min i shall have to manage to visit again soon, :thumb::adore:

Thanks BID, its good to see you too my friend. I'll eventually get around to seeing what you're up to, I already subbed to 2.0 of yours, just have to catch up....

Ok guys, just have to throw it in...My local hydro guy has been pushing the GO (General Organics) line for a while, and his big trip is that, you dont have to fudge with the PH. Doc pretty much spelled out the same thing my guy has been telling me--
If you can keep the mineral content of coco in balance, keep the CE proper and keep a vibrant microherd happy.....pH shouldn't be a problem......

Obviously with coco, you will have a different set of problems. If you want the buffering ease of soil, but the lightness of coco, try it 50/50. I use 50/50 PERLITE and soil, and dress the top with hydroton for even water distribution,(plus it helps prevent those water crators)....But my soil is plenty airy. It sounds like you have some goodies for soil, thats the way I would go but I'm a noob:thumb:

Pretty bags make slim wallets. Bricks over pretty bags any day brother!

Ain't that the damn truth!?
I would LOVE to make my own soil...Just dont have the space...
Anyone interested in making their own soil should check out DocBud's threads...I believe he's done work with Subcool's Super Soil, or some variation thereof...Just go read Doc's shit damn it it'll make you better.

Back
Top Bottom