Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

All this really boils down to pot size and veg time as it relates to each strain for me. What will be my best combo as it relates to meeting or exceeding our needs. (Let me clarify what I mean by meeting or exceeding. As I stated above, I hate averages. I have grown used to doing most things with a 90% confidence level.)

As I collect all this data, I will find the combo that will let me target our "Needs" for flower, topicals, capsules and anything else and be able to hit it 90% of the time (think low ball or when Murphy rears his ugly head). I will likely always yield more than my demand growing this way which is my goal. I like to be kind to friends.

Lots and lots of variables. Man I love growing this plant!!

By the way, this Northern Lights is really good smoke. She is curing up nicely. Definitely getting more hair on her ass! Tread lightly with this one if you don't have a good tolerance to indicas. My eye lids are getting heavy.....bed time for Stank!

guess what I am really looking for is a way to find out what combo of pot size and veg time will give me best yield while trying to keep my back happy.

A noble quest! I’ll be keeping a close eye on the methods you develop for approaching it :)

When is flowering time counted from for an outside plant? They slowly start flowering sometime in mid-late July, so when are we counting from for an 8-week strain?
When I posed this question to the forum about 6months ago, the answer I got - when pistils show at the tops.
Others may say different, but a few concurred with that at the time. Mine showed pistils at the top a week or so after showing sex.

Oh and on that naming convention thing, I think SweetSue has a great system that endures over time - with multiple clone generations.

I’m not confident to reproduce it here off the top of my head, but check wth her maybe (or I will if you’d like).

Always enjoy the happy garden! Thanks Stankhouse :yummy:

:Namaste:

Well I thought about doing just flower but man that leaves a lot of unknowns as it correlates to yield per day. Say I have two plants. I veg plant A for 30 days and flip at sight of preflowers and it flowers for 60 days. 90 days total. Now I take plant B and I veg it 90 days and flower it for 60 days 150 days total. Think the yields will be anywhere close? I am thinking that breaking those two down and labeling them as 60 days each probably doesn't give me the data I am looking for since one was vegged for 3x as long. I would be curious if the yield was 3x as much. I guess what I am really looking for is a way to find out what combo of pot size and veg time will give me best yield while trying to keep my back happy. I loved the yield of the Northern Light but freakin hell she was a hassle to deal with in that tent. I could only move her around when I let her dry out. 5-10 gallon pots are much easier to grow in. Now when we get into a place where I can set up the 10'x10' tent and I have more than enough room to do grow them the way I want

Now I do agree that I can't factor in clones that I try to keep small, the same way that I do the plants from seed. So I don't intend to 'track' the clones (like the BCP and Tangie x Ghost Train Haze) the same way as the strains I grew from seed. I mean I have done everything I could to keep those two plants small until I could get rid of the Northern Lights. I could have grown those much bigger than I have which would have resulted in a much higher yield than I will get off them.

If I do take a clone and grow it like I do the strains from seed, then I will track the info.....but I think I will start including the rooting time in the data. I don't know what I will learn from all this......but its fun to try to figure a way to use it!

I guess as long as you are consistent with what you do, you will be able to come to some usable conclusions. I've never kept track of veg times. I give every plant how ever long it takes to get root bound to the point I like before flipping. There are a few exceptions to that but that's my general rule. Some plants have robust root systems while others take a little longer.

I guess as long as you are consistent with what you do, you will be able to come to some usable conclusions. I've never kept track of veg times. I give every plant how ever long it takes to get root bound to the point I like before flipping. There are a few exceptions to that but that's my general rule. Some plants have robust root systems while others take a little longer.

Doing the perpetual and trying to keep it on a good schedule is the main reason for the veg times. 60 days of vegging along with a week in seedling stage brings me close to 70 days. Sativa strains I veg for a shorter time due to height limitations in the tent. I am worried about how big this African Meltdown is going to be by the time I get ready to flip her. But for most hybrids or Indica leaning plants, that 60-70 day seedling and veg time generally gets the plant about the size I want.

If I have a plant that is slower growing or just isn't getting the size that I want, the timeline helps keep me on schedule. The plan works if I stick to it. The monkey wrenches come into play when I start taking clones LOL. Then I end up with the ripple effect. More plants than I planned effects the smoothness of how things run. Like right now, I have to hold everything in veg while I clear the backlog in flower. Well now the plants in veg are growing bigger than they would if I stuck to the 60-70 range which effects the number of plants that I can flower. Instead of flowering 5 or 6, I am only able to get 4 in there. That means my African Meltdown, Black Cherry Punch, and Hawaiian Mayan Gold are gonna be closer to 70-80 days in veg than the 60-70 range and that means bigger plants going into flower. And I am doomed to keep repeating the issue.

So in my mind, knowing I still want to play with clones AND have a nice variety of strains going at any given time (8 different strains currently), I will need to change my strain release a little better. Instead of dropping new strains every 2-3 weeks, I am thinking that one a month is probably more aligned to keeping me rolling along smoothly with the perpetual. That allows me to work clones and make crosses and feminized seeds from decent plants and still have decent variety AND maintain the schedule I want. It will likely lower my variety number to 6 different strains (and 6 clones of the strains)

This is where refining the veg time as it relates to the pot size for optimal yield as it relates to my schedule will really be beneficial. It might be better for me to run plants a little shorter than the 60-70 day range and in smaller pots than 10 gallons (5-8 gallons?) and be able to flower 5-6 plants at various phases of flower than to run 4 bigger plants in 10+ gallon plants while still exceeding my demand.

I am looking at everything from a number of days and number of slots perspective. I have 365 days in the year x 12 plants (my legal limit) as my capacity to stay legal. That means I have 4380 days of production capacity. Averaging 1 gram per day per plant means I produce about 155 ounces per year or 12.9 ounces (365 grams) per month. As long as what I keep producing, exceeds our usage then I can be selective about how we go about planning everything. And again, I am trying to figure out a way to maximize my production while being as easy on my back as possible.

Sure I could just grow fewer plants and grow them bigger and probably get more yield, but that isn't my end goal. Its the yield in as easy way possible. Growing in 15 gallon pots is fun but not real wise in my set up and probably not necessary with my production capacity vs meeting our needs. And its a pain in the back!

I may find out that for me.....I would be better off with growing in 7 gallon pots and vegging most plants around the 50 days. Sure my yields might suffer relative to a 2+ week longer veg time.....but I gotta think I am loosing capacity by trying to keep plants smaller while I deal with backlogs isn't really optimal.

I should damn well think so at nearly 2:30 am! Only me and the Alaskan are up this late :).
The Alaskan has been sleeping better! I always feel for Van when I see him posting while I'm up, then wake up to see the poor guy already been up for hours.

Hope you back is doing okay brother

Your still strain testing Van, so your yield shouldn't be yer top priority cept for your base meds/strains

Least that's my train of thought
My Big Blue Balls got me about 7oz, which is my biggest yield so far from on plant

Once I find my final strains in like 10years....lol....I'll grow bigger as well

Trying to maintain a perpetual with only 12 plants is tough. Especially when you want to keep clones. I've been running a perpetual for close to 4 years and it never goes as planned. A lot of times I have too many plants that are ready to flip but I have no room for them. I end up re-cloning them and killing the big plant. Other times I have flower room and nothing that is root bound so I end up flipping early and end up with a small yield. I've just gotten used to things going that way and just deal with it.

Your still strain testing Van, so your yield shouldn't be yer top priority cept for your base meds/strains

Least that's my train of thought
My Big Blue Balls got me about 7oz, which is my biggest yield so far from on plant

Once I find my final strains in like 10years....lol....I'll grow bigger as well
I am strain testing with a plant limit, while maintaining maximum production LOL. Hence the data collection in terms of grams per day and grams per gallon of soil. Quality is always my top concern over yield....but that quality has been addressed with good organic soil and a great light. I know anything I grow will likely be better than anything I can get otherwise. I will never sacrifice quality for yield. I would rather have 3 ounces of top shelf than 6 ounces of so-so weed.

If I didn't have plant limits I would probably grow 2-3 times the number of plants, but just grow them in smaller pots. I would probably have 8-10 plants in flower instead of just 4. Probably would grow a lot in the 3-5 gallon pot range and veg them 30 days or so before flipping. I could pheno hunt at the same time. Dreams!!!

Gorilla Glue Auto Day 29

Ms Stanks first auto is picking up steam pretty good. She is really spreading out nicely. We watered her 2 nights ago and Ms Stank slapped on the patented Stank "C" clips/rings to start directing the tops. Its growing so differently than the Jack Herer auto.

Not a lot to report on her. Give her water every couple days and some LST is all Ms Stank is doing. Looks good from my chair!

African Meltdown Veg Day 48

Loving the structure on this girl. Not a lot of side branching (similar to the NL) and is built like a tank. She is smelling great. Getting a very peppery scent from her even in veg.

Got her up potted to a 3 gallon hard pot last night. I expect to see a big growth spurt over the next two weeks. Hope I can keep her in the tent until room opens up! I will likely up pot her one more time to either an 8 or 10 gallon pot a few days before I flip her. No telling when that will be!

The fatness of the fan leaves is a bit surprising based off what her lineage is supposed to be. Was hoping for a very sativa pheno but having my doubts based on the leaves at this point. Time will tell!

Hawaiian Mayan Gold Clone Day 53

Definitely see the Columbian Gold coming out in her! She has officially outgrown all her funk from the Neem baths. No signs of any pests on her and she is growing really nicely. She has a sweet smell to her that I cant quite put my finger on. Got her up potted last night as well.....to a 3 gallon. Hoping to keep her from getting too big before there is room to move her to flower. Definitely lots of bud sites on this girl. I think I will take a clone from her...just in case!

Still have a lot more training to do on her but need her to spread out a bit more first. I have a vision coming together for her in my head.......lets she if she is at all interested in playing ball with me!

Bonus Update

Quick shot of the three girls I updated from veg today. By the way, I think i want to try mainlining the African Meltdown the next time I grow one. I think it would be a great strain to try mainlining with! Hope everyone is staying cool out there, its brutal up our way!

Oh I know I keep them pipe cleaner makers happy!! Pretty soon though I will have enough that I won't need to buy anymore.....I will have enough already of all the different sizes I need to use!

Hope you had a great weekend Duggs! Freaking hot as hell here brother. I don't even want to walk outside.

Back
Top Bottom