Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

You're making really good use of that flux capacitor you bought over the winter!
Haha, thanks Shed!
Great work on the training, Stunger👍
All 3 4 look great , but I think the Frozen Black Cherry
wants to be the star of the show!
Cheers Carcass. Yes the Frozen Black Cherry has leaped out of the starting blocks the quickest.
How do you determine when, and how much, to water? Do you still do the lift test? 💪

:laughtwo:
Thanks Azi, there is no way I could lift it because of it's weight, and also because trying to do so would most likely wreck the trough as it isn't robust enough for moving, so I am hoping I will get a few years use out of it before it falls apart.
Wow Stunger, the FBC has a beautifully symmetrical form. What a beauty. They are all looking wonderful out there.
Cheers Carmen, probably next week I'll look to bend some branches into the centre to even it up and fill out the space.
A quantum leap in growth for sure , coming along , nice & healthy 🤙
Thanks Uncle! Their growth is picking up now, hopefully it continues a bit more before flowering starts.
Looking good mate :bravo:
Cheers Ab!
Well done on the new grow. The FBC & MS are looking very healthy. Good to see the SLH trying to catch up.
Thanks Zeb! The Super Lemon Haze was germinated first but is growing the slowest of the 3. I did some reading of other folks who have grown SLH and generally it seems it is a slow growing strain. However, it has a good reputation so as long as I get enough to test I'll be happy!
It looks ideal, Stunger. With that much great soil, you should be able to go a long time between watering's. :thumb:
Next year you might be wanting low profile wheels. I bet its heavy!
Cheers Stinker! I am pleased with the extra soil and it's capacity to hold moisture but there is no way that the trough structure would be strong enough to be on wheels, and quite frankly it's currently in about the only position it can be in on the balcony that allows me to fully open both bi-fold doors.

Your plants look good, Stunger! Like others have said that Frozen Black Cherry is a real looker. Can't wait to see her (and the others) in flower.

Your plants look good, Stunger! Like others have said that Frozen Black Cherry is a real looker. Can't wait to see her (and the others) in flower.
Thanks HG, I'm just hoping I avoid screwups and can eventually get them across the line! 🤞

Update

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It's been hot weather and the plants are making steady progress. So far so good. I am letting their branches go vertical now as it is becoming too hard to restrain their want to go upwards instead of outwards.

Yesterday when I carefully (or so I thought) adjusted one of the branches of the Mulanje Sherbert it just 'popped' and cleanly snapped off! So I decided then that because their canopies are still quite low that I have enough space for them to 'stretch' hopefully without them exceeding balcony stealth limit bylaws!

I was going to give the trough plants another watering today as I have only given them 3 so far since potting them, but I poked a finger into the mulch and it was still nicely moist underneath so I will refrain for now. Besides, there are a few days of rain forecast so the heavens should do the job for me.

Mulanje Sherbert

Frozen Black Cherry

Super Lemon Haze

Mulanje Sherbert

All together

Thanks for dropping in, wishing all the best for your own gardening efforts!
:ganjamon:

Your balcony grow is shaping up to be one of your best, I predict! :goof: I really like your new trough setup and your low-profile training this season. :welldone:

They're really starting to bush up nicely in the heat, and I sincerely doubt the MSherb is going to miss that branch!
Thanks Shed! Yeah I think she'll be right at the end of the day.
Your balcony grow is shaping up to be one of your best, I predict! :goof: I really like your new trough setup and your low-profile training this season. :welldone:
Cheers Beez! I left only one node pair on the trough plants (the 3rd) and re-buried them up to the 2nd node as well as constantly removing unwanted secondary growth which probably contributes to slowing the trough plants down a bit but hopefully good primary buds will result.

Your 'low profile' comment made me think that I need to take a profile pic that I can use to look back on for where they are height wise as this date, so I have put one in below. So far the trough is working great for keeping the plants happy in the sun, with around 3 times the soil volume and mulch on top, it's keeping it's moisture level real well, even the earthworms are happy!
My mouth was watering as i scrolled through Stunger! They look great
Thanks Otter! It was a bit of a commitment setting the trough up with around 300L/80Gal of soil, but so far so good! I was trying to find the plant you were recently fluxing to see how it progressed because it looked good trained out horizontally but I failed to locate it, I hope it turned out great.

Update - adding a profile pic for future height reference

The left most plant in the small pot has been topped twice and its height is a lot more than the corresponding 'fluxed' trough plant/s. I must say that this 'lower profile' is so far looking very helpful to my stealth needs.

The trough is probably at least as tall as your former pots though, right? Do you think it will help keeps them low and spread out?
The trough is a little higher than my previously used pots.

The main 2 things that have helped achieve a lower profile this grow, and allowed me to save several inches in height, is that I buried them deeper when I up-potted the young plants to the trough with only an inch and a bit below the 3rd node to the soil level, that knocked 4 or 5 inches off immediately.

And secondly, this grow I didn't quadline or hexline them. By training out solely the 3rd node I could keep vertical height to that level for a length of time, whereas quadlining or hexlining I would incur additional vertical height due to the vertical gaps between nodes.

The increased surface area of the trough also allows more direct training than my former pots.

I think too that when folk grow under lights that they can give the plants as much light as they want for as long as they want and thereby the distance between nodes may be much reduced. Whereas when growing outside, especially from early Spring when it can still be cold and not much full sun, the plants may grow additional height between nodes causing taller plants to deal with when quadlining/hexlining.

My balcony plants are also further limited in light as they only get direct sun in the afternoons.

The trough is a little higher than my previously used pots.

The main 2 things that have helped achieve a lower profile this grow, and allowed me to save several inches in height, is that I buried them deeper when I up-potted the young plants to the trough with only an inch and a bit below the 3rd node to the soil level, that knocked 4 or 5 inches off immediately.

And secondly, this grow I didn't quadline or hexline them. By training out solely the 3rd node I could keep vertical height to that level for a length of time, whereas quadlining or hexlining I would incur additional vertical height due to the vertical gaps between nodes.

The increased surface area of the trough also allows more direct training than my former pots.

I think too that when folk grow under lights that they can give the plants as much light as they want for as long as they want and thereby the distance between nodes may be much reduced. Whereas when growing outside, especially from early Spring when it can still be cold and not much full sun, the plants may grow additional height between nodes causing taller plants to deal with when quadlining/hexlining.

My balcony plants are also further limited in light as they only get direct sun in the afternoons.
I love the way you've thought this through to the last detail and the plants are thriving so far. I'm taking notes and I've called it low profile stealth training by Stunger. What stands out to me is that you've buried three to four inches of stem to reduce height. That's quite a lot. Good to know they can handle that much length buried at that height.

I love the way you've thought this through to the last detail and the plants are thriving so far. I'm taking notes and I've called it low profile stealth training by Stunger.
Thanks Carmen, I am just blundering along and trying to apply other folk's ideas to my own needs. Previously with using quadlining and hexlining I was having to apply LST and multiple supercroppings to keep them from rising too high, so I am quite pleased that at this point towards the end of veg that they are comfortably low, it is nice not having to be stressing about it.
What stands out to me is that you've buried three to four inches of stem to reduce height. That's quite a lot. Good to know they can handle that much length buried at that height.
Yes they're like tomatoes where you can bury the stem which will generate roots itself after a little bit of time. The plants that were up-potted to the trough, I had to re-bury them on an angle due to the combined height of their root ball and extra stem burial being too much to bury straight down because of the fairly shallow location of the aeration layer of pumice and scoria that I didn't wan't to disturb (as I'm hoping I can keep that a fairly 'intact' layer for as long as possible).

Thanks Otter! It was a bit of a commitment setting the trough up with around 300L/80Gal of soil, but so far so good! I was trying to find the plant you were recently fluxing to see how it progressed because it looked good trained out horizontally but I failed to locate it, I hope it turned out great.
Here it is man. Outdoors IKLWA And Cherries Dubelee In MA
1706362733514.png
It was a quadded flux I guess. When I do it again I'll choose a plain single layer flux. Turned out 13 dry ounces of find bud though!

When I do it again I'll choose a plain single layer flux. Turned out 13 dry ounces of find bud though!
That's a real beauty Otter!
I quite like this single layer approach too. Next time I think I will aim to FIM when I top the plants to create more main arms from the single layer.

Very cool stuff you're doing, Stunger👍
The flux training looks like the ticket to keep them in stealth mode till the end-
It'll be interesting to see what the stretch looks like, but I think they'll stay at or below their "limit"..

I'd have to lay my box on it's side to do a flux grow...🤪

Very cool stuff you're doing, Stunger👍
The flux training looks like the ticket to keep them in stealth mode till the end-
It'll be interesting to see what the stretch looks like, but I think they'll stay at or below their "limit"..

I'd have to lay my box on it's side to do a flux grow...🤪
Thanks Carcass! This one's a bit an experiment, hoping it turns out alright as it'll be a bugger to lay on it's side! :rofl:

Update - a noticeable burst of growth!

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! We had some rain last night, and now wind today but back into warm sunshine again too, the growth in the garden is getting noticeable.

At this stage I have stopped trying to control the plants desire for vertical growth as I recently broke a branch off while attempting some LST, such was the branches strength and desire to turn upwards. So I am not too bothered as they are currently sufficiently low enough in profile not to worry about it too much. Compared to previous grows, it is really nice not having the stress of needing to perform super cropping and restraint every few days. So far a more relaxing experience! :surf:

Previously with training I have attempted to keep either a flat or rounded canopy. But with taking a Fluxing approach the Flux ends should be raised above the rest so currently the Flux ends and the FIM branch are being allowed to grow higher for more of a 'canoe' profile, which is not apparent in mine as at least 2 of them have an additional FIM Flux arm too. Soon I will probably rein in their growth a little to even out the canopy a bit.

Mulanje Sherbert (r) / Frozen Black Cherry

They both appear happy and bursting into growth. I'll probably soon have to contend with their upward growth as they begin to pull out of their training hooks.

Super Lemon Haze

I understand from the experiences of other folk, that Super Lemon Haze prefers a less rich soil and doesn't like being trained. So it strikes out on each of those with the garden environment that I am giving it. However, now it is beginning grow a little bit faster and aside from it's slower growth it still looks well enough to me. @Emeraldo grew one to over 2.5m and he has some good growing experience on this strain so if you're dropping by I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Potted Mulanje Sherbert (r)

Based on the contentious criteria of seed shape and initial growth height, I decided to take a punt that this would be a male and if so, I would use it's pollen to attempt a cross with the other plants. I am now too blind to see well up close and so I haven't yet ascertained its gender. I am not too bothered about it as they will soon reveal themselves anyway. If I have got it back to front, then I will switch it with the trough plant so any male I can still move from the balcony before any pollen is dropped.

This Mulanje Sherbert has been given 2 rounds of topping, I probably should have given it a third, but it's in a smallish pot so that will be keeping its growth restrained. Its leaves are also a little darker than the trough plants. I had used more chook run dirt in that pot's mix, in hindsight I could have used a little less.

Profile pic

Thanks for swinging by. Lush potent gardens to all!

Update - a noticeable burst of growth!

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! We had some rain last night, and now wind today but back into warm sunshine again too, the growth in the garden is getting noticeable.

At this stage I have stopped trying to control the plants desire for vertical growth as I recently broke a branch off while attempting some LST, such was the branches strength and desire to turn upwards. So I am not too bothered as they are currently sufficiently low enough in profile not to worry about it too much. Compared to previous grows, it is really nice not having the stress of needing to perform super cropping and restraint every few days. So far a more relaxing experience! :surf:

Previously with training I have attempted to keep either a flat or rounded canopy. But with taking a Fluxing approach the Flux ends should be raised above the rest so currently the Flux ends and the FIM branch are being allowed to grow higher for more of a 'canoe' profile, which is not apparent in mine as at least 2 of them have an additional FIM Flux arm too. Soon I will probably rein in their growth a little to even out the canopy a bit.

Mulanje Sherbert (r) / Frozen Black Cherry

They both appear happy and bursting into growth. I'll probably soon have to contend with their upward growth as they begin to pull out of their training hooks.

Super Lemon Haze

I understand from the experiences of other folk, that Super Lemon Haze prefers a less rich soil and doesn't like being trained. So it strikes out on each of those with the garden environment that I am giving it. However, now it is beginning grow a little bit faster and aside from it's slower growth it still looks well enough to me. @Emeraldo grew one to over 2.5m and he has some good growing experience on this strain so if you're dropping by I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Potted Mulanje Sherbert (r)

Based on the contentious criteria of seed shape and initial growth height, I decided to take a punt that this would be a male and if so, I would use it's pollen to attempt a cross with the other plants. I am now too blind to see well up close and so I haven't yet ascertained its gender. I am not too bothered about it as they will soon reveal themselves anyway. If I have got it back to front, then I will switch it with the trough plant so any male I can still move from the balcony before any pollen is dropped.

This Mulanje Sherbert has been given 2 rounds of topping, I probably should have given it a third, but it's in a smallish pot so that will be keeping its growth restrained. Its leaves are also a little darker than the trough plants. I had used more chook run dirt in that pot's mix, in hindsight I could have used a little less.

Profile pic

Thanks for swinging by. Lush potent gardens to all!
They are looking fantastic awesome job so far buddy
:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom