Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

All caught up. Great write-up, @Stunger, bookmarked! :thanks:

One question on your early theories of what to look for. I've read that it's the  males not the females that are the taller of the m/f, and they evolved to show sex early and spread pollen early. And the taller structure helps the released pollen float down on the nearby and lower female flowers.

But that's sounds opposite to what you've seen. :hmmmm:

All caught up. Great write-up, @Stunger, bookmarked! :thanks:

One question on your early theories of what to look for. I've read that it's the  males not the females that are the taller of the m/f, and they evolved to show sex early and spread pollen early. And the taller structure helps the released pollen float down on the nearby and lower female flowers.

But that's sounds opposite to what you've seen. :hmmmm:
Thanks Azi! Yes I have read that too, that males are generally taller, and that claim makes practical sense to me. But height differences of plants are most evident before topping is carried out. All my plants were topped about a month ago, so their levels were all 'standardised' and therefore once topped and LST'd were hard to tell apart using the different height theory of males and females.

However, of my 6 balcony pots, I have 4 x 30L (8gal) and 2 x 50L (13gal). It was my hope that any females would be found in the bigger pots to make the most of the extra soil, as it would seem a shame to have a plant in a smaller final pot when a bigger one goes unused. I up-potted 2 plants from each strain, in doing so I chose the 'lowest' height seedlings to up-pot into the 2 biggest pots in the hope that they'd turn out to be female. So yes, I did take height into consideration, but only when allocating them as seedlings to their final pot sizes, and that seems to have worked out too. But for determining the sex of the plants over this last week, I have done so solely from observing and comparing the shape and appearance of their gender structures. Cheers.

When I first started growing I thought once the summer solstice has passed, only then that would trigger the plant to produce their mature gender structures. But actually that is wrong, nature produces early and late fruit. Our summer solstice is December 22nd so the days are still getting longer, I am quite chuffed to have gender ID'd the plants already.

"We love it when you determine the sex of your plants!!!"

-- The Chickens

Looking great Stunger!

Question, feeding chickens cannabis plants, does that get you high when you have an egg? Haha jk :)
He'd probably have to feed them decarbed flower, so there's little chance we're ever going to find out. Even "for science" that's a big ask. :laughtwo:

Looking great Stunger!

Question, feeding chickens cannabis plants, does that get you high when you have an egg? Haha jk :)

He'd probably have to feed them decarbed flower, so there's little chance we're going to find out. Even "for science" that's a big ask. :laughtwo:
Thanks, haha no worries there, they are only young birds and they haven't started laying yet. I guess sometime over the next month.

A good suggestion CL, I tried to reply last night but the forum went down. I am not well versed on photo editing and I did think of putting arrows on, but then I thought they'd probably end up looking a bit rough, but your suggestion of a predefined circle would be neater and in hindsight I probably could've done that. Although, the anatomy of the plant's structures are quite obvious in these pictures, they're been taken so closeup that the gender structures can be easily seen next to the base of the stipules when one or both are present. Once you realise one then you'll see all the rest. Cheers.

If possible, would it be possible to post comparison photos, i.e. post a male and a female photo side-by-side so that we can see the difference?

Thanks HG! Most important to me is taking good quality closeups, and ideally from multiple nodes. Good luck, and I like your Blueberries by the way!

I have more photos, closer up with the gender structures but they're still nowhere as clear (or as green) as yours. What are you using to get such clear closeups?

If possible, would it be possible to post comparison photos, i.e. post a male and a female photo side-by-side so that we can see the difference?
If I can work out how to post more than one pic in a picture then I should be able to do that. And that could make a nice one glance comparison.
I have more photos, closer up with the gender structures but they're still nowhere as clear (or as green) as yours. What are you using to get such clear closeups?
My current camera has a fixed lens and the closest I can get is about 10cm/4inches. From that distance I then need to massively enlarge the resulting pictures which mostly renders them too compromised in clarity to be useful (i.e. I'd be just guessing). So I bought a macro clip on lens and instead of clipping it I got a step down ring that allows me to screw it directly on to the fixed lens of the camera, it now allows me to get as close as maybe 5cm/2inches from the subject.

Some folk use a loupe which I gather can provide great magnification, but for me, I think the movement in holding a loupe may be too challenging as my eyesight is not great these days. And also too, I like pictures because then I can sit down and take my time to enlarge them and compare. Cheers.

Update - Today is summer solstice day - a mainly pictorial of the 10 days leading up it

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Today is our summer solstice, indicating the day of the longest sunshine hours of the year. I used to think only after this point were pistils triggered, but I now realise that if you look for them they can be found before the solstice, and as we've seen even if fully matured gender structures are not present, they can still be identified.

10 days ago the males were identified and removed

They're starting to gobble up the free space

Their height needs curtailing to keep up the appearance of stealthy growing

After supercropping yesterday

And today's pic with them mostly recovered from yesterday's training

Mulanje HP - pre flowers photographed today

Mulanje ME - pre flowers photographed today

Mulanje Sherbert - pre flowers photographed today

So that's the scores on the doors today!
Thanks for dropping by, I hope your own gardens are blooming, all the best and keep well! :ganjamon:

B2A54BE0-E1CB-4466-B774-BBBCF8029AC6.jpeg

Omg! Female impersonators are sooooo good now days!

I would have bet my right nipple that there was a girl!

That sheboy was my fave!

Sooooo much more room out there with three! And if your crops pop up don't forget you can weight them down until they knuckle and stay put.
You're definitely right there Shed. So much for my earlier claims that I'd be greedily happy with more females, any more than 3 is going to be a real pain. 3 is perfect and especially so because I now have 1 female of each of the 3 strains, and that's enough.
Lovely pistily confirmation of your "guesses"! :welldone:
To me, seeing pistils is the confirmation of having females, up until that point you're waiting for it. But in saying that, with sufficient clear closeups one can feel confident of making an early determination.
Omg! Female impersonators are sooooo good now days!

I would have bet my right nipple that there was a girl!

That sheboy was my fave!
Thanks Tra! Yes always seems a bit of a waste when a nice big green plant gets the chop just for having a deep voice.

Thanks for the photo series, Stunger :thumb:

Great looking trio you've got left out there!
Their height needs curtailing to keep up the appearance of stealthy growing
It's pretty early... you're really going to have your hands (and balcony) full in 6 weeks or so..!

Thanks for the photo series, Stunger :thumb:

Great looking trio you've got left out there!
Thanks Carcass!
It's pretty early... you're really going to have your hands (and balcony) full in 6 weeks or so..!
Yep, I think you're right there :smokin:
Less is more Stunger! I'm so jelly yours sexed out for you! I think that first pic they were dancing to ymca !
Thanks Otter! I am glad to get the sexing out of the way, now I'll just be trying to keep them contained!

Back
Top Bottom