The Perpetual Healing Garden - SweetSue's Joyful Return

In 1 gal... 1/2tsp milk... whatever kind is handy... this is your Cal source. 1/2tsp epsom salt.... your Mag source. The epsom takes a few shakes to dissolve.

Milk in a hempy pot??? :thedoubletake:

I'm not sure I'd recommend that, but if you've had success with it, I'll leave it in your hands! :)

It seems to me like it would go rancid pretty quick! Plus, that hempy girl is pretty small to be having any cal-mag deficiencies.

If she really needed some cal & mag, you could probably just use tap water instead of RO and be fine.

For additives, I'm all for the epsoms for the mag.

For calcium, in a hempy, you should be able to use Oyster Meal, Crab Meal, dried ground eggshells, and dolomite lime.

Personally, I'd take ANY of those ahead of milk in my hempy.

Perhaps it's just because I've never seen it, but I would think even powdered milk has got to be better than fresh milk in a hempy pot.

I'm not sure I'd recommend that, but if you've had success with it, I'll leave it in your hands!

Ya know... I hear the logic in your words. Experience tells me otherwise, but I do see the logic.
Many over the years have espoused similar ideas and words.
Mean time, me and others have done it without the slightest of issues.
Really, 1tsp/gal barely tints the water. I believe it's really just too small of an amount to cause any issue.
I know... I know... it's not logical... but trust me, it works just as well as calmag.

Hey Sue! Here's my 2 cents. If you're in a pinch for some quick Ca++, how about Tums?100% calcium carbonate CaCo3. Add a tablet or two to a gallon of water, and throw in a pinch of Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) I think this should work just as well as CaMag. Plus it's a lot cheaper.

Hey Sue! Here's my 2 cents. If you're in a pinch for some quick Ca++, how about Tums?100% calcium carbonate CaCo3. Add a tablet or two to a gallon of water, and throw in a pinch of Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) I think this should work just as well as CaMag. Plus it's a lot cheaper.

Cy! You made me realize I have a bag of CaCo3 that Doc Bud recommended I purchase last year. It's water soluble, so I can use it. Thank you so much. :hug: :love:

Next question guys, how would I know there was a deficiency? :laughtwo: You laugh, but I grow in soils that don't typically show deficiencies. Does this mean I need to study up on deficiencies? Not that it wouldn't be a good thing to know, hanging around so many gardens, but then most of the gardens here don't have any problems like that.

Ok, think it through girl. You know what a healthy Dark Devil Auto looks like. Watch for abnormalities, but don't expect them.

Alright guys, I squelched the momentary panic. :laughtwo: Thank you all for the insight. Tead's right though. He and the Professor have been using milk in this way for quite a while now with great success.

Thanks for having my back guys. :battingeyelashes: :love: I'll be fine now. Let me get the update posted.

Daily Update: Friday, September 2, 2016

Good evening everyone. :love: Shall we? The Carnivals came out today for a photo shoot. They're 38 days old now.

image16715.jpeg

image16716.jpeg

image16717.jpeg

image16718.jpeg

Pretty, aren't they? I'm starting to get excited about what I'm seeing in these two. Tomorrow they'll get their next light TransWater drench and then the next drench they'll go into their finish pots. :slide:

image16719.jpeg

Next door in the auto tent. I saw that light flicker again tonight. :straightface: If it continues to do this I'll need to return it for repairs. Thank God I have 2 Mars-Hydro panels that can take over if necessary.

There's no movement yet in the germination cup.

image16720.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto 3 (Day 10) Almost ready for her topping.

image16721.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto (Day 74) One more day for her.

image16722.jpeg

image16723.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto 2 (Day 20) She's just plugging along now.

image16724.jpeg

image16725.jpeg

In the tiny closet, Dark Devil Auto 4 (Day 10) I need to get the EWC out and replenish. Based on the health of the Med GOM 1.0 I only need a thin top dressing this run.

image16726.jpeg

image16727.jpeg

That's it for tonight folks. I thank you kindly for stopping to share in the joy. Go forth and spread it beyond these confines. :hug: :love: I believe I'll take some time to catch a DDA buzz and do some reading before I go wandering. I'll be seeing you around the yards. :ciao: :love:

:Namaste:

Cy! You made me realize I have a bag of CaCo3 that Doc Bud recommended I purchase last year. It's water soluble, so I can use it. Thank you so much. :hug: :love:

Next question guys, how would I know there was a deficiency? :laughtwo: You laugh, but I grow in soils that don't typically show deficiencies. Does this mean I need to study up on deficiencies? Not that it wouldn't be a good thing to know, hanging around so many gardens, but then most of the gardens here don't have any problems like that.

Ok, think it through girl. You know what a healthy Dark Devil Auto looks like. Watch for abnormalities, but don't expect them.

Alright guys, I squelched the momentary panic. :laughtwo: Thank you all for the insight. Tead's right though. He and the Professor have been using milk in this way for quite a while now with great success.

Thanks for having my back guys. :battingeyelashes: :love: I'll be fine now. Let me get the update posted.

You're absolutely right Sue, you know what a healthy dark devil looks like. Your plant will let you know if there's a problem. As of now, I would say that your little lady looks happy. No weird brown spots on the leaves, or anything else that would suggest that there's a problem. Plus, if something were to pop up, there's enough people following along to catch it early. Keep doing what you're doing, you'll be fine.

You're absolutely right Sue, you know what a healthy dark devil looks like. Your plant will let you know if there's a problem. As of now, I would say that your little lady looks happy. No weird brown spots on the leaves, or anything else that would suggest that there's a problem. Plus, if something were to pop up, there's enough people following along to catch it early. Keep doing what you're doing, you'll be fine.

I agree with this 420%! :goodjob:
IMHO, the ONLY times you need to add cal-mag are if the plant is showing deficiencies, or when using RO water (to prevent what will ultimately be a deficiency! :) )

As Cy pointed out, the plants will let you know if you have any deficiencies and you'll know something is wrong when you look at the plant.

Based on what you see, that's when the research comes in! :)

The site has opened a new contest I wanted you all to be aware of. First the link:

420 Magazine Social Networking Contest

They're trying to come up with a good way to get the cream of the crop photographs from the members' gallery for use with 420 Magazine social networking sites. They have a difficult time keeping staff in the position of sifting through the millions of photos we all submit and thought this might be a way to get some help with it.

Check out the contest rules and then have a blast looking through the gallery for those show-stopper shots. The submissions for the contest don't have to be your own, but there are guidelines they want you to follow.

Have fun. :battingeyelashes: :love:

See... all sorts of crazy critters roaming around the clover.

On a serious note, we have alot of lizards around here. I grab one now and then and toss them inside my shed. Sure, I find some desiccated critters when I clean things up, but I sure never see any bugs in there. Too bad I can't put a leash on them and tie one up to the base of each plant.

Oh man you gave me a good chuckle this morning. Thinking about little leashed up lizards. I would love to have a few of those in my garden. Just seeing one of those cute little buggers crawling around my plant would put a smile on me all day.

Hahaha! They were Dale's. He bought them to scatter through his Tallandsia collection. Lol! When he died, and the Tillandsia all died with him, I dropped them into my cannabis collection. It's a bit of Dale whimsy that brings many a smile to my face. I have those little frogs in the most unlikely spots in the apartment. There's one that guards the box that I germinate seeds in.

I'm so pleased to learn they brightened your world up for a moment. That would have made Dale smile too. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Let me tell you this isn't the first time I had wished I had met Dale. I've always been intrigued with your way of thinking! Keep it up it brings a smile to many!

Also tomorrow is the big day, little DDA getting the chop. Can't wait to see what she becomes.

I agree with this 420%! :goodjob:
IMHO, the ONLY times you need to add cal-mag are if the plant is showing deficiencies, or when using RO water

Really.... in hydro? I'm shocked honestly. All of my babies have needed it, and I really can't recall a hydro grow that didn't need calmag supplementation.
Man.... so sorry Mr. K..... I've disagreed with you twice on the the same page. I honestly feel a touch like a turd.... but hey.... tossing around grow ideas is why we're here.

how would I know there was a deficiency?
Little brownish spots. I think of them as rust spots.

Really.... in hydro? I'm shocked honestly. All of my babies have needed it, and I really can't recall a hydro grow that didn't need calmag supplementation.
Man.... so sorry Mr. K..... I've disagreed with you twice on the the same page. I honestly feel a touch like a turd.... but hey.... tossing around grow ideas is why we're here.

Little brownish spots. I think of them as rust spots.

You're more than entitled to disagree! :high-five:

In the six years I've been doing hydro, I think I've added Cal-Mag twice. I still have my original bottle.

How did I do this?

I do NOT use RO water!

Most hydro growers do, and it is preferred for hydro. The RO process will strip the Cal-Mag out, so it needs to be added back in.

So, since I'm not using RO, I've only added the two times my plants were showing deficiencies.

This is why my "theory" is that you only need it when using RO or if the plants show deficiencies.

Do you use RO water?

In the six years I've been doing hydro, I think I've added Cal-Mag twice.

Wow. You must have more juice in your water supply than I. Been using the city water (A.K.A. the Mighty Miss) supply for my water source after I let it sit for a day or two.
Interesting.
Are you perhaps on well water or a city water supply that draws from wells? I know that there can be a lot of minerals in there. Is your water "hard"?

Wow. You must have more juice in your water supply than I. Been using the city water (A.K.A. the Mighty Miss) supply for my water source after I let it sit for a day or two.
Interesting.
Are you perhaps on well water or a city water supply that draws from wells? I know that there can be a lot of minerals in there. Is your water "hard"?

It's moderately hard water. The city I'm in does operate numerous wells that are refilled by rainfall and/or the aquifer. I pulled a water quality report trying to find the PPM's of Calcium and Magnesium, but they weren't listed on the report.

It does seem obvious that your city water must have very low PPM's of those elements, so you need to add it.

That being said, I think you'll find many locales where the "non-RO" tap water will have enough PPM's to keep the plant healthy without having to add Cal-Mag.

If your plant is showing deficiencies, and your PH is in check, you definitely want to add Cal-Mag.

NOTE: Check PH first since Mag is one of the first elements to get locked out with improper PH in hydro

My city supply shows up at ~220 on the ppm meter.
Most of the metal water supply pipes in our city's water supply have been replaced with PVC (big huge green pvc) for maint. reasons. I wonder if that plays into the configuration. I think mineral buildup on the PVC is much less than the iron. Plus, it's newer.

One can't echo these words enough....
Check PH first since Mag is one of the first elements to get locked out with improper PH in hydro
The majority of def's I've witnessed seem to be PH related.

I do a fun thing to get the most out of my PH range. I start at 5.5 and the mix drifts up over a few days. This drags my PH thru the various uptake ranges with an ending PH of ~6.1

Back
Top Bottom