The Perpetual Healing Garden - SweetSue's Joyful Return

My city supply shows up at ~220 on the ppm meter.
Most of the metal water supply pipes in our city's water supply have been replaced with PVC (big huge green pvc) for maint. reasons. I wonder if that plays into the configuration. I think mineral buildup on the PVC is much less than the iron. Plus, it's newer.

One can't echo these words enough....

The majority of def's I've witnessed seem to be PH related.

I do a fun thing to get the most out of my PH range. I start at 5.5 and the mix drifts up over a few days. This drags my PH thru the various uptake ranges with an ending PH of ~6.1

So, at 225 PPM you have very hard water and it's surprising (to me!) that you would need Cal-Mag, although I'm truly not denying you do.

Here's how water hardness is measured:

Water hardness is classified by the U.S. Department of Interior and the Water Quality Association as follows:
Classification mg/l or ppm grains/gal
Soft 0 - 17.1 0 - 1
Slightly hard 17.1 - 60 1 - 3.5
Moderately hard 60 - 120 3.5 - 7.0
Hard 120 - 180 7.0 - 10.5
Very Hard 180 & over 10.5 & over
NOTE: Other organizations may use slightly different classifications.

And the typical cause of hard water:

Hard water is a very common problem, affecting water in more than 85% of the country. It is a result of the dissolved minerals calcium, magnesium and manganese. With an increase in these minerals, the following are seen (1):

• Soap scum in sinks and bathtubs
  • Bathtub rings
  • Spots on dishes or shower doors
  • Reduced foaming and cleaning abilities of soaps and detergents
  • Dingy and yellowed clothes with soapy residues that require extra rinsing to remove
  • Clogged pipes from buildup of minerals
  • Increased water heating costs from buildup of minerals, reducing efficiency of water heaters
  • Possible skin infections from bacteria trapped in pores underneath soap scum
While these are all unpleasant effects, hard water is not a hazard to human health and can be treated.
So, it's the dissolved Magnesium and Calcium that is largely responsible for water hardness and hard (or moderately hard) water is present in something like 85% of the US:

Patterns of hardness in the United States are shown on the map of accounting units below. Softest waters were in parts of New England, the South Atlantic-Gulf States, the Pacific Northwest, and Hawaii. Moderately hard waters were common in many rivers of Alaska and Tennessee, in the Great Lakes region, and the Pacific Northwest. Moderately hard waters were common in many rivers of Alaska and Tennessee, the Great Lakes region, and the Pacific Northwest. Hard and very hard waters were found in some streams in most of the regions throughout the country. Hardest waters (greater than 1,000 mg/L) were measured in streams in Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Arizona, and southern California.
Mean hardness as calcium carbonate at NASQAN water-monitoring sites during the 1975 water year. Colors represent streamflow from the hydrologic-unit area. Mape edited by USEPA, 2005. Modified from Briggs and others, 1977.

Note to Readers:
Water hardness is based on major-ion chemistry concentrations. Major-ion chemistry in ground water is relatively stable and generally does not change over time. Although the map illustrates data from 1975, these data have been found to be accurate and useful in current assessments.

This is why I suggested that IF you're using tap water, you likely will not need the Cal-Mag UNLESS you see the deficiencies (which you're obviously experiencing!).

I think that, if we disagree at all, it's only in semantics! ;)

K..... There you go again with brilliant research skills on full display. Gosh, it's good to have you following along. That was so informative I'm smiling ear-to-ear. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for being here. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Well folks, I started to do the update hours ago. How time flies when your having fun, eh? I had to pull myself away from the yards ("just one more notifications check and then I'll go post.....") to get this done before midnight. Let's get these pictures up.

Daily Up

It's been a quiet day in the garden. The only thing that happened really was the change in nutrient levels for the Dark Devil Auto 2 in the hempy pot and then both Carnivals got the second light TransWater drench. Let's take a look see.

This is the look of plants ready for a drench. I used to be hesitant to let them go this far, but you guys were great teachers and now I'm casual about it. :battingeyelashes: The next drench will be following their upcanning to the finish pots.

The Carnivals (Day 39)

image16788.jpeg

Back in the tent.

image16789.jpeg

image16790.jpeg

Into the auto tent.

image16791.jpeg

no signs of movement yet.

image16792.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto (Day 75) Tomorrow she gets turned into fresh harvest oil. I'm using coconut oil with her and I'm hoping it tastes as delicious as I suspect it will. The tincture I made with DDA is one of my favorite treats, more so for the flavor than the high. I discovered a tincture is barely going to satisfy my needs, but they sure are tasty. :laughtwo:

image16793.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto 3 (Day 11)

image16794.jpeg

Dark Devil Auto 2 (Day 21) I realized today that I hadn't been adding the entire mix of nutes to this poor girl. Let's see what difference not starving her will have. She's now getting micronutrients. I'll catch on to this mentality guys. Be patient with me. She's trying to thrive.

image16795.jpeg

image16796.jpeg

In the tiny closet........

Dark Devil Auto 4 (Day 11)

image16797.jpeg

image695.png

image16798.jpeg

That's all for today. Thank you so much for stopping to admire and encourage. I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to come in after being away for most of the day and finding pages of material to read. You guys rock! :high-five:

I'm assuming this Saturday witnessed much joyful sharing??? Good, we've been well-trained. I've been studying a lot today on intention and manifestation, and they're all tied into joy and gratitude. Cultivate it daily and watch your life transform.

I'm pretty worn out right now, but that's because I've been studying for hours and my eyes are tired. This time of the year we lose precious moments of solar illumination with each day. This puts a strain on my eyes, further complicated by a day of staring at the lighted screen. I'm gonna take a few moments to relax the eyes and catch a buzz. If I don't fall asleep on the floor, more of a possibility than you'd think, I'll be seeing you around the yards. I still have a few threads I need to post in before I can wander. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

:Namaste:

Morning Sue, I have a favor. I made a friend named Elaine in the UK and she is battling some illnesses and has gotten scammed over and over for Meds. She wants to learn about growing and I wanted to make her feel welcome. And you are the most welcoming person on earth so will you take her under your wing with me and help guide her around this forum? Here is her intro post. Everyone feel free to come say hi.

Elaineleuk

Thanks Shiggity. I joined the welcoming committee. :battingeyelashes:

HARVEST: Dark Devil Auto

image16816.jpeg

image16817.jpeg

image16818.jpeg

Wow! Look at her taking off. :slide:

image16819.jpeg

image16820.jpeg

This new tool rocks!!! The juice of one lemon......

image16821.jpeg

A quarter cup of baking soda......

image16822.jpeg

Wisk it together.....

image16823.jpeg

Begin dipping.

image16824.jpeg

image16825.jpeg

image16826.jpeg

image16827.jpeg

image698.png

image699.png

image700.png

image16828.jpeg

image16829.jpeg

image701.png

image702.png

I trimmed only the necrotic tips.

image16837.jpeg

The rest of her will be processed.

image16830.jpeg

image16832.jpeg

I'm gonna get her into this 3 ounces of coconut oil now and get her going.

image16831.jpeg

tragedy

I'm crushed. The bottom fell off the jar.

image16838.jpeg

It's all gone. And I have this mess to clean up. For sure I'll run out now before the Carnivals get harvested.

I'm gonna sit and cry for a while now.

Done crying. What a bitch, but life moves on. I'll be ok. Now, I have to buy some cheap paper towels to clean this ungodly mess up. By tonight I'll have the cleanest stove in town.

I figured out my mistake, and it's one I won't ever make again. I chopped it up with the immersion blender in that jar, which compromised the integrity of the glass. Set into that oil bath, the heat led to the crack. Next time I'll be sure to blend it in a bowl and transfer to a jar for the processing.

Yes, this sucked, but I learned a couple valuable lessons:

- When blending the plant material into such a small quantity of oil, work it in slowly. That gave me a cup of a nice mash that was boiling down nicely before the accident.

image16839.jpeg

- Blend up in a pot with the oil base or another container that's NOT the one going into the oil bath.

- I might want to consider finding a small stainless pot or a glass pot to use for the oil bath step.

Geez, what a mess to clean up. The water in the plant material hit that hot oil and it exploded.

image16840.jpeg

I'm gonna find a real mess under the cooktop. :straightface:

Thank God it was only a runt. I lost a minimal amount of harvested buds in this tragedy. It could have been much worse. If I'd been standing a wee bit closer I'd be posting this from the ER, so I feel incredibly blessed at this moment.

At least I got some pretty pictures, and the house smells amazing. :laughtwo: Before I started I cut off the apical bud for drying. So it wasn't a total loss. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

image16841.jpeg

I'll have to try rinsing them some time soon. Again I've been so busy with yet another harvest. I was so afraid I'd run out that I dropped too many seeds...

Catching up on your thread now! And it looks like you had a nice harvest going as well! . .

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

I'm so sorry to hear. :( *hugs*

But that plant just wasn't really very lucky, maybe it's better that you won't be consuming any of its energy... .

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

That really sucks Sue! Was it the heat? [;>(

Go West young one, (Or an island country.) You know more smokers there.

Best
canyon

I'm heading further west Canyon. All the way to the coast and north. At least that's my plan at the moment.

:hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug::hug: :hug:

Here is a shoulder .....

Thank you Birdie. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: I really needed that. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I'll have to try rinsing them some time soon. Again I've been so busy with yet another harvest. I was so afraid I'd run out that I dropped too many seeds...

Catching up on your thread now! And it looks like you had a nice harvest going as well! . .

Good, one of us should have a good harvest today. Actually, the harvesting part went off without a hitch. :laughtwo:

OH DAMN!!!
Tragedy is an understatement.
Roll with the punches of course.... but wow, that sux hard and long.

Sending sympathy flavored love your way.

Thank you Tead. :hug: :love: That helps more than you think it does. Thank goodness I have that one in the hempy pot taking off, eh? She's only another 50 or so days from harvest herself.

Sue,

It still sucks.

So, it is going to be good practice to bring the double boiler oil up to temp after you place your concentrate container in it.

Is there any reason that you don't use another type of blender?

I never know
canyon

It was compromising the glass with the immersion blender that caused this tragedy Canyon. The immersion blender seemed a better option to the kitchen ninja with such a small volume of coconut oil. Damn! She smelled incredible too. Her scent lingers on in the aftermath.

I'm so sorry to hear. :( *hugs*

But that plant just wasn't really very lucky, maybe it's better that you won't be consuming any of its energy... .

Thanks witchy. :hug: You know what? I think you make a good point. I'll go with that. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Ta Da!!

image16842.jpeg

image16843.jpeg

image16844.jpeg

My daughter came over to help me clean up and it went like a dream. I only sobbed a little bit in her arms and then we tackled the mess.

All's as well with SweetSue as can be expected. I believe this might be a good day to treat myself out to dinner.

Back
Top Bottom