Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

I'm currently reading (again) a 112 page thread on the net on the topic of defoliation. It's quite an interesting read. Even more interesting (well not really), are the idiotic "I heard" or "I think" or "I believe" posts going 100% against it without ANY experience doing it or empirical data rebuking the method.

What I look for more in posts is "in my experience".

Yes, the forums - here and elsewhere - can be a bit of a minefield with speculation. I always try to speak from experience when I can because I'd hate to give somebody bad advice and ruin their garden.

I listen a lot to people who've been doing this a while - and people who've done the experimentation to find out what's what, so to speak.

For example, I learned from Mr. Smith that focusing defoliating along the main stalk is a good way to get better lateral branch growth and a more even canopy. The minute he said it, made perfect sense. And he's speaking from having done it - a bunch!

I have come to the conclusion that dual monitors for someone with A.D.D. is nothing more than further promotion of A.D.D.

I now have 3 windows open on defoliation on one monitor, and 5 windows open on another monitor dealing with LED bulb & chip manufacturers Cree & Bridgelux. Highly technical over my head shit but I may learn something if I dont get distracted.

Oh wait..

I have come to the conclusion that dual monitors for someone with A.D.D. is nothing more than further promotion of A.D.D.

I now have 3 windows open on defoliation on one monitor, and 5 windows open on another monitor dealing with LED bulb & chip manufacturers Cree & Bridgelux. Highly technical over my head shit but I may learn something if I dont get distracted.

Oh wait..

:laughtwo::rofl::laughtwo::rofl: That really cracked me up! :high-five:

Excellent defoliating info!! I have never intentionally done it before but I am now going to do it!! I am always for more branches and bigger buds!! Thanks!! :thumb:

OG Kush, and some new seeds...

I was just thinking the other day that I've not grown any OG Kush related strains. (Crazy, huh?!) I don't think I've even sampled an OG Kush related strain.

Now, I'm obsessed with this gross oversight and thinking myself a poor stoner at best...

So, I picked up some new seeds a few weeks ago (not all OG related) - would love feedback if anyone's grown these - the only one I've had is Jilly Bean (love it):

• Reserva Privada's OG Kush ('91 Chemdog)
  • Cali Connection Deadhead OG ('91 Chemdog X SFV OGK F4)
  • TGA Subcool Vortex (Apollo-13 x Space Queen)
  • TGA Subcool Jilly Bean (UKN Orange Skunk X Romulan X Cindy99)

As excited as I am to grow out some OG Kush, I'm almost equally if not more excited to grow out some TGA Subcool strains. I was so impressed by the Jilly Bean I picked up in SoCal last summer, and I've heard so many good reviews on his stuff. I've also got some TGA Jack the Ripper seeds, and I'm torn for what to grow the next round - TGA stuff, OG Kush... I can't decide which direction I want to go!

I've also got Pineapple Chunk, Exodus Cheese, Afghan Kush and a bunch of really interesting freebies I want to try. Decisions, decisions!

Hope everyone's having a great Monday!

It sure seems like it, huh? But, I wanted to get an idea for myself so I've promised a few people for months now that I'd give it a try, and here we are. I am happy with it so far, and the plants don't seem to show any ill effects from it. I'm glad you brought that up, Nap, as it's a good discussion with some room for differing opinion. :thumb:

yeah, i have a better understanding now, i'm glad i asked you guys that have/are actually doing it with success! i forgot growing cannabis defies common sense sometimes :)

kind regards,
naphtali

OG Kush, and some new seeds...

I was just thinking the other day that I've not grown any OG Kush related strains. (Crazy, huh?!) I don't think I've even sampled an OG Kush related strain.

Now, I'm obsessed with this gross oversight and thinking myself a poor stoner at best...

So, I picked up some new seeds a few weeks ago (not all OG related) - would love feedback if anyone's grown these - the only one I've had is Jilly Bean (love it):

• Reserva Privada's OG Kush ('91 Chemdog)
  • Cali Connection Deadhead OG ('91 Chemdog X SFV OGK F4)
  • TGA Subcool Vortex (Apollo-13 x Space Queen)
  • TGA Subcool Jilly Bean (UKN Orange Skunk X Romulan X Cindy99)

As excited as I am to grow out some OG Kush, I'm almost equally if not more excited to grow out some TGA Subcool strains. I was so impressed by the Jilly Bean I picked up in SoCal last summer, and I've heard so many good reviews on his stuff. I've also got some TGA Jack the Ripper seeds, and I'm torn for what to grow the next round - TGA stuff, OG Kush... I can't decide which direction I want to go!

I've also got Pineapple Chunk, Exodus Cheese, Afghan Kush and a bunch of really interesting freebies I want to try. Decisions, decisions!

Hope everyone's having a great Monday!

Hey XL,
grow the OG Kush, so i can learn from you how to grow the strain :)
it's supposed to be a good one for PTSD, and I'd like to see how it does before i put the effort in LOL :)

happy monday to you as well

kind regards,
naphtali

Means anything to ya I started off a leaf nazi. I wasn't lieing when I said I would lose a lot of leaf before the plants finished flowering when I first started out in hydro. The ordeal made every leaf special.
Trimming and pruning should only be done to a healthy plant.
Thats the number one rule about trimming and pruning.

I now have 3 windows open on defoliation on one monitor, and 5 windows open on another monitor dealing with LED bulb & chip manufacturers Cree & Bridgelux. Highly technical over my head sh*t but I may learn something if I dont get distracted.

Oh wait..

:laughtwo::rofl::laughtwo::rofl: That really cracked me up! :high-five:

umm.... I have dual monitors too... Sometimes playing a movie on one, and playing MMORPG on the other... and it was said, when I was young that I have A.D.D.

Yes! That *IS* funny.

I'm currently reading (again) a 112 page thread on the net on the topic of defoliation. It's quite an interesting read. Even more interesting (well not really), are the idiotic "I heard" or "I think" or "I believe" posts going 100% against it without ANY experience doing it or empirical data rebuking the method.

What I look for more in posts is "in my experience".

THANK YOU!
Someone else that knows the words and not afraid to say them! Thank goodness, we have people willing to actually TRY something and SHOW the results.

Hearsay, is just that... "I heard [random unfounded opinionator] say. . . " or "[some unsubstantiated blogger] stated that he would never do that because [gibberal quote]"

Have some balls to actually back your statements and show the results! That's what I say. Whether for, or against, SHOW IT! WHIP IT OUT! Keep your unfounded "thoughts" and "opinions" and show the results. That's what I'm interested in.

Thank you, Xlr8, for actually showing all the substantiated, photographic evidence. I assume as well, that you will give total wet, and cured weights along with it.

wow.... didn't mean to rant in this journal again...

@ Jandre....^^^:thumb:^^^

@Xlr8....I think you know what my vote will be for.....Her first name rhymes with Billy:circle-of-love:

I too have a couple beans of her, Regulars....What month are you planning to pop yours,? I'd love to run one of mine along side yours!...

Hey XL,
grow the OG Kush, so i can learn from you how to grow the strain :)
it's supposed to be a good one for PTSD, and I'd like to see how it does before i put the effort in LOL :)

happy monday to you as well

kind regards,
naphtali

I can't wait to grow out some OG. It's such a funny thing, I got it in my head, and every since I ordered and received the seeds, it's all I can think about. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about growing out some seeds.

I've had it in my head before, but it always seemed like the seeds were out of stock so I'd push the thought aside. But, now that I have them, those seeds are practically calling to me in my sleep to germinate them, lol.

No matter what, when I do grow the OG out, I'll definitely let you know what I think! :)

Happy Monday, right back atcha!

...Trimming and pruning should only be done to a healthy plant.
Thats the number one rule about trimming and pruning.

Really great point, and well taken Mr. Smith. Makes perfect sense. Sounds like you've come a long ways in your growing my friend! :high-five:

THANK YOU!
Someone else that knows the words and not afraid to say them! Thank goodness, we have people willing to actually TRY something and SHOW the results.

Hearsay, is just that... "I heard [random unfounded opinionator] say. . . " or "[some unsubstantiated blogger] stated that he would never do that because [gibberal quote]"

Have some balls to actually back your statements and show the results! That's what I say. Whether for, or against, SHOW IT! WHIP IT OUT! Keep your unfounded "thoughts" and "opinions" and show the results. That's what I'm interested in.

Thank you, Xlr8, for actually showing all the substantiated, photographic evidence. I assume as well, that you will give total wet, and cured weights along with it.

wow.... didn't mean to rant in this journal again...

Hi Jandre -

No worries on the rant, so to speak. ;)

I'm a "show me" person at heart, too. (No I'm not from Missouri, however). As far as wet/dry weights, I'll probably only do dry weights. I dry my bud material still attached to the stems and hang the whole branch until it's dry enough to either jar/burp or sometimes it goes into paper bags for a bit. So, I've never done wet weights.

Just not important enough to me I guess, and I leave the drying process to my wife - (who wonders why dry weights are even important, when we're just growing for ourselves anyway). She calls all the shots on drying/curing - it's her super power and area of expertise in the process. I doubt I'd get her to rethink her methodology, either, as we've got it down pretty well now.

So, probably just going to be the dry weights and a smoke report, etc. ;)

@ Jandre....^^^:thumb:^^^

@XLR8....I think you know what my vote will be for.....Her first name rhymes with Billy:circle-of-love:

I too have a couple beans of her, Regulars....What month are you planning to pop yours,? I'd love to run one of mine along side yours!...

Heya Quix!

Yeah, that's one of the things we have in common for sure, a love for Jilly -- I can't wait to grow it. :circle-of-love:

I'm not sure on the timing yet. I'll definitely let you know, though. There's a really good chance she's part of the next round. I may take off a few weeks around the holidays as we'll be having a lot of company around that time -- so I'm thinking right after the first of the year, perhaps... It's something I need to figure out. When are you thinking you might do yours?

I sure am interested in how the TGA Jilly bean turns out. I have been interested in that strain for a while

Yes - me too! I picked up a quarter last summer when I was visiting friends in SoCal, and it was pretty spectacular, even though the bag I had was somewhat poorly dried/cured. All I could think was how freaking good it was anyway, and how much better it would have been if it were properly dried/cured. Great high, and pretty good medicinal at the same time. Just felt happy, giggly and energetic without being hyper.

Can't go wrong with TGA, have not grown any myself, yet but from the vids from Subcool on youtube they look amazing. OG Kush is good too. With your skills any beans you grow will be dank.

I've become a big fan, too. I've read some great articles by Subcool, and have watched Docbud grow some pretty spectacular strains of his. Thank you for the really nice compliment, Twelve! :thanks:

Grow Update - Day 46 of 12/12 (6 weeks, 4 days)

I had to adjust my "days in bloom" number as I somehow got off a couple of days... Happens to me every grow, doh!

Mostly a picture update. Everything is happy and healthy, but I've had a sudden RH drop that caught me off guard. RH was down to 32% this morning, which is lower than I like, even in flower. I'm adjusting the whole house humidifier slightly, hopefully that will help. It's always something!

Also, I've had a small amount of odor when lights are on, and I'm thinking I had an issue with the light exhaust not being sealed enough (I don't have a filter on the light exhaust as it enters from outside the tent and exits outside the tent, if that makes sense. I tried putting tape on the seams of the vented reflectors, hopefully that will help - they have a bit of a gasket where the glass is hinged to the hood, but it doesn't seem to have a perfect seal. I'd love feedback if anybody's gone through this with vented hoods and odor leakage - how did you address it?

Group photo:
nov_8_9.jpg

Lavender
nov_8_3.jpg

nov_8_1.jpg

nov_8_2.jpg

nov_8_10.jpg

Skywalker
nov_8_4.jpg

nov_8_6.jpg

nov_8_12.jpg

Chocolope