Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Yep, Jilly's got the same exact look...A bit fox-tail-ish, lol....My Jills did seem to put out a good deal of really thin sativa looking leaves right before she went into full flower mode....Hmmmm....Space Queen seems to be close to the top of Jill's geneology, and is a pretty hefty influence in the JTR....

OK just looked, and they're both 50% Space Queen...So any one of the parents in the SQ could be doing it....Who knows?
Either way, I'd like to learn how to grow her properly....She's SO dang good! I feel like I could have done her better...Always next time I suppose.:thumb:

Have you sampled this one yet? Is it as good as you remember Jilly being?

So far the couple of sample buds were unspectacular from the JTR, but then I took them a little early, too, and they weren't looking ready enough really. It's totally too early to tell frankly. There's been a lot of budswell and bud development the last week and a half.

I thought for a bit it would be the lightest yielding plant I've grown, but that award will without a doubt go to the OG Kush. It just isn't swelling up, wants more light than I can give it, and has been a PITA from the first week of veg. Too bad, too, as it's starting to purple and the buds will be pretty but tiny. Oh well - speak of doing things differently, I should have vegged it more and supercropped it (the OG Kush). Live and learn! I'm concerned that two grows in a row the plant on that side of the tent is really poor yielding. I think my bulbs are getting past their prime, for one.

Anyone know the effective lifespan of 400w HPS hortilux eye bulbs?

Hey Mate! A week is a long time......maybe 24 to 36 hours stop giving them water. A week would probably kill them......be careful. :high-five:

Now that, sounds more reasonable to me. I thought a week sounded pretty extreme, and I couldn't imagine them making it that long.

Hi A1 :high-five:

Easiest thing to do is go to Radio Shack and get one of their $14.95 Microscopes. Then you could look at the tricks and see if they are ready yet.
Holler at me if you need advise. Sorry for butting in X. :smokin:

You are never butting in here my friend. Thanks for giving such a great suggestion. I have one of those, but as you know I love the kids toy thing I use -- what the heck is it called? Don't you use one too sometimes OMM? Kids microscope thing with lights that plugs into the TV, and gives me great big 42" plasma views of the trichs. I just wish I could take pictures with it. If I ever get some money again, I'd like to get one of those USB scopes that takes pics like Jandre recommended...

Month or so I'll be coming up on my first harvest.............and firsy dry/cure. Also will be my first time at harvesting......will be interesting to see how and when to pull them. I'm sure they won't all get pulled at the same time. I may need your help with this!:circle-of-love:

I try to put strains together with a finish time that is similar, but sometimes it doesn't go to plan as there are so many pheno variations sometimes.

Unfortunately, sometimes the harvest time is driven by outside factors for me, like our family schedule. We usually have to time it to happen during a stretch when we don't have anyone else around for a few days, which is typically once a week, but sometimes every two weeks. So, I've had to harvest things a little earlier than I'd like, and a little later, but we've been lucky enough that it usually works out okay for us.

I'm happy if the trichs are mostly milky, some amber (10-25%), and the plant "looks" done with swollen calyx's and receding pistils - plus I look for the "high" to feel less racy with the samples I take. If they're not done, it seems "racy" to me (not sure how else to explain it).

And I'd be happy if I can help you in this respect somehow. :)

Oh man...I feel a classic tutorial coming on:headbanger:
There are a good few of us harvesting very soon....I wonder who will do the tut...:dreamy:

You ever notice that if you sprout a seed on an 8 week strain near January 1st, it is often ready for harvest around... 4/20? ;)

I'll try to recap/detail things if I can, but my wife runs our drying/curing and she tends to be all bidness, lol. She gets impatient with me wanting to take pics and documenting things - but I'll try to take time to detail our process when I can. Good idea!

I'd love to hear more about what other people do to dry/cure, too. It's not my strength, but my wife is good at making the call on things. We used to disagree often on when to jar things, vs. leaving them hang longer or bag them... she's always been right so far. I don't argue anymore. ;)

Celestron 44302-A Deluxe Handheld Digital Microscope 2MP - $45

1667185844891.png

Really good for the price, plus you can upload them here. Check out my flower box for the type of pics it takes.

That looks like a great little scope. Really wish I had a few $$ right now to order that!! I still use the kids toy one which works great but isn't easy to get pictures of. +rep.

Yeah the Celstron that Jandre recommended is a nice little piece.

Hi HMG!

Yes, I need to get one of those eventually. Just scraping by at the moment, so not the best time, but hopefully soon! Thanks for weighing in - do you have that one?

Hi HMG!

Yes, I need to get one of those eventually. Just scraping by at the moment, so not the best time, but hopefully soon! Thanks for weighing in - do you have that one?

Yes I do, love it I hope you don't mind here is what it can do.
Image671.jpg

Now that, sounds more reasonable to me. I thought a week sounded pretty extreme, and I couldn't imagine them making it that long.

You are never butting in here my friend. Thanks for giving such a great suggestion. I have one of those, but as you know I love the kids toy thing I use -- what the heck is it called? Don't you use one too sometimes OMM? Kids microscope thing with lights that plugs into the TV, and gives me great big 42" plasma views of the trichs. I just wish I could take pictures with it. If I ever get some money again, I'd like to get one of those USB scopes that takes pics like Jandre recommended...

X They are called an EyeClops. We broke ours. I have a new USB one that was recommend by Jandre. Some one mentioned it a minute ago. When the time comes this grow, I'm sure you will see me using it. :thumb:

So far the couple of sample buds were unspectacular from the JTR, but then I took them a little early, too, and they weren't looking ready enough really. It's totally too early to tell frankly. There's been a lot of budswell and bud development the last week and a half.
QUOTE]
Well, I did try a small sample off the runt, last week. It was a wash...6 weeks is usually pretty early for any plant. This is 7 weeks though, and, I will definitely be doing an oven quick dry on all 4 plants. I will let you know how Jilly is, but I'd be willing to bet she's got 2 weeks or more....
I can see 1 week, maybe a little more on the Kushes...I'm getting the swelling and STINKING the last few days, too, so I know what you mean...
Actually, I think I'm going upstairs to take those testers now....:thumb:

You ever notice that if you sprout a seed on an 8 week strain near January 1st, it is often ready for harvest around... 4/20? ;)

Yep;)...Last year I had sprouts break ground on 420....Maybe I'll crack a fem Blueberry cross this year....Or a Headband aka Sour Kush:hmmmm:

No pressure on the drying tutorial, I was actually hoping there was someone out there that would take the challenge lol...I would do it, but I don't use the hygrometer in the jars and get all technical the way people like...My humidity is low, all the time...And I just go by feel....Maybe I'll do it any way...:Namaste:

I just wish I could take pictures with it. If I ever get some money again, I'd like to get one of those USB scopes that takes pics like Jandre recommended...

Just take a picture of your TV?

Celestron 44302-A Deluxe Handheld Digital Microscope 2MP - $45

1667185819257.png

Really good for the price, plus you can upload them here. Check out my flower box for the type of pics it takes.

I actually have one of those !!!!

I try to put strains together with a finish time that is similar, but sometimes it doesn't go to plan as there are so many pheno variations sometimes.

Unfortunately, sometimes the harvest time is driven by outside factors for me, like our family schedule. We usually have to time it to happen during a stretch when we don't have anyone else around for a few days, which is typically once a week, but sometimes every two weeks. So, I've had to harvest things a little earlier than I'd like, and a little later, but we've been lucky enough that it usually works out okay for us.

I'm happy if the trichs are mostly milky, some amber (10-25%), and the plant "looks" done with swollen calyx's and receding pistils - plus I look for the "high" to feel less racy with the samples I take. If they're not done, it seems "racy" to me (not sure how else to explain it).

And I'd be happy if I can help you in this respect somehow. :)

Problem is I didn't know any better when I put my plants in the tent, I have all kinds of strains growing together. Sativas and Indicas. Now I know better but it's a lil late lol
I will certainly need your guys help. You guys are the greatest I swear!

I actually have one of those !!!!
Well, now you can use it!

Problem is I didn't know any better when I put my plants in the tent, I have all kinds of strains growing together. Sativas and Indicas. Now I know better but it's a lil late lol
I will certainly need your guys help. You guys are the greatest I swear!
Yes, this is the best forum... Have you seen the bickering, name-calling, and insults that fly in most of the other forums of this type? It was the reason I lurked here for about three months before signing up. I just couldn't believe how helpful these people were. But in my time of activity here, I've come to love this place, as you can probably tell, because of how helpful and sincere everyone here is.

Yes I do, love it I hope you don't mind here is what it can do.
Image671.jpg

Cool! Definitely need one of those. That's phenomonal. Thanks for sharing that, and by the looks of it, congrats on the girl!

X They are called an EyeClops. We broke ours. I have a new USB one that was recommend by Jandre. Some one mentioned it a minute ago. When the time comes this grow, I'm sure you will see me using it. :thumb:

Yes, Eyeclops. Can't wait to see the USB one on your girls, OMM. Those things rock!

Yep;)...Last year I had sprouts break ground on 420....Maybe I'll crack a fem Blueberry cross this year....Or a Headband aka Sour Kush:hmmmm:

No pressure on the drying tutorial, I was actually hoping there was someone out there that would take the challenge lol...I would do it, but I don't use the hygrometer in the jars and get all technical the way people like...My humidity is low, all the time...And I just go by feel....Maybe I'll do it any way...:Namaste:

Well, sounds like we do it about the same way, and have the same issue with RH. I'm always battling dry here it seems like, though it gets humid sometimes in the summer. I have measured the RH in the jars, but got more confused by it and went back to gut feel (well, my wife's mostly!)

QUOTE]
Well, I did try a small sample off the runt, last week. It was a wash...6 weeks is usually pretty early for any plant. This is 7 weeks though, and, I will definitely be doing an oven quick dry on all 4 plants. I will let you know how Jilly is, but I'd be willing to bet she's got 2 weeks or more....
I can see 1 week, maybe a little more on the Kushes...I'm getting the swelling and STINKING the last few days, too, so I know what you mean...
Actually, I think I'm going upstairs to take those testers now....:thumb:

One of the best moments ever is that first vape/smoke after they've dried and have some flavor going. Won't be long!

Testers are a'ight, but I'm spoiled. I tire of testers quick and go back to the warm cozy blanket that is my well cured Lavender. :bong:

Just take a picture of your TV?

I've done that, but it doesn't have a stand (or I don't know where it is if it does!) and I have to try to hold it steady and in focus with one hand, while I try to aim the camera at the tv and focus it with the other. It's a clusterf*ck of a situation in practice, and I've never got a very good picture as a result. :)

Back
Top Bottom