Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Glad to hear things are getting sorted out with the girls. :surf:

Me too!! I was feeling about as down as I've ever felt in my life. I'd look in on the girls I was growing, and it was like they were the physical embodiment of how I was feeling. Like a mirror, they reflected back to me how I was feeling. I hated it!

My wife is always trying to get me to meditate (I have in the past, and it does help), but I have always told her that the plants are my therapy... my happy place if you will. When your happy place is wilting from bug pressure... Sigh. Honestly, seeing my plants look so glum was kinda like a last straw. I lost my happy place!

However, they are thriving again, thank goodness!! Thanks for poppin' in, and the great advice/suggestions you've given me the last few days. You rock my friend!

Boy oh boy X....:sorry::confused:

I once heard this quote from a very down to earth, honest, thoughtful friend of mine when I was in a really shitty situation not to long ago...

"Sometimes the valleys are there so we can appreciate the peaks a bit more"...

It might be stuff you don't have much control over, but from the mere 7 months I've been here there's not a single human on this planet who has more heart than you :love:.

I really don't know what else to say besides I really care about you and feel for you so much. The sympathy is almost starting to hurt...please, if there's anything I can do?...:love::love:

Awwww... You sure know how to butter a guy up! :circle-of-love:

That's about the nicest thing anyone could say... I hope you know, the feeling is mutual Missbud. I hope you can see in my more recent posts, that I'm trying to refocus my energy into positivity. I know I can do this - I've accomplished many things through sheer determination, so I know I can get through this. It helps having friends like you, though. :)

I'm glad you liked what I said about peaks and valleys - that was very sweet that you requoted that! :love: Nobody bothered to tell me the valleys could get so damned DEEP though... ;)

Thanks doesn't cut it, but thanks nonetheless for one of the nicest posts I've ever received! :love:

Hey X,
I also removed the pumps from both my res quite some time ago but I also added airstones. Infact 3 stones per res. My temps have dropped dramtically and both now are in the mid 60's all the time. I did a little test with and without the stones and my finding were that the stones infact did bring the temps down by a degree or two. Helps keep the nute mixed up as well.
When I stopped using the beneficials I also found that I did not need the pump bags anymore. Those pump bags really do help though if you are using the beneficials.
I like running the sterile system. I have also gone to using the silica! I'm pretty much have copied the nute system you are running. THAT should be a compliment in itself! Thanks for helping me with that!

Thanks for sharing that A1 - I think it'll work great without anything, honestly. I went from having the sickest looking plants you've seen, to some of the most healthy looking vigorous new growth... it's hard to believe they're the same plants just a week later. I think sterile is a good way to go with a hydro system. I've done almost exclusively sterile in DWC and now the Flo N Gro, and aside from the bug issue, had really nice looking plants this way. On the nutrients/silica -- I will take that as a compliment! :thanks:

So let me see if I got this right.
You did notice that the plats had a more sativa like growth and high but you think you lost yield with this type of lighting schedule?

I don't know on the yield, honestly. I don't have anything to compare it too, as it was the first grow with the strains involved - and with the 11 hour lighting. I also flowered them really early to make sure I didn't overgrow my space - I probably should have flowered later.

But, I mentioned it more because the reduced hour of light, in theory, could have an effect on yield - I'm not sure. Sounds logical, though?

Still not caught up! Will try to get caught up tomorrow. Wanted to get some pics up though... Check out the new growth, it's looking much much much healthier!

Note, I'm seeing in the pics that they look a little yellow, but they are a nice bright green in person

Group Photo (Top row: Deadhead OG, Super Lemon Haze. Bottom: Chocolope, Super Lemon Haze):
jun_5_2.jpg

Chocolope close-up of newer growth:
jun_5_3.jpg

jun_5_4.jpg

Shot of the "Mini Moms". Jack the Ripper, Super Lemon Haze, and Deadhead OG. I just topped the Super Lemon Haze in the middle. These were roughed up, too, but like the others they have excellent new growth:
jun_5_1.jpg

Last but not least, remember my little cloning tutorial/post? Here are the clones as of a few days ago... I believe they've all rooted now, and I'll take a couple as backup. The Chocolope will be a new mom to replace the one I lost to Root Aphids.

jun_3_6.jpg

Awwww... You sure know how to butter a guy up! :circle-of-love:

That's about the nicest thing anyone could say... I hope you know, the feeling is mutual Missbud. I hope you can see in my more recent posts, that I'm trying to refocus my energy into positivity. I know I can do this - I've accomplished many things through sheer determination, so I know I can get through this. It helps having friends like you, though. :)

I'm glad you liked what I said about peaks and valleys - that was very sweet that you requoted that! :love: Nobody bothered to tell me the valleys could get so damned DEEP though... ;)

Thanks doesn't cut it, but thanks nonetheless for one of the nicest posts I've ever received! :love:

You sure remind me of me in my last grow...I was miserable :smokin::smokin:

Hey there X! Your journal moves extremely fast like OMM's. Really glad to hear you got it worked out. I hope you and every one did not think I was trying to profit from you with the water chiller. I was really trying to help you because I know what you have been going through. We have both been through some tough sh*t this last last year. As long as you are aware of the temps and are able to shut down the problem pumps when needed....I am very sure you will be ok. You obviously know what you are doing!! :high-five:

Still not caught up! Will try to get caught up tomorrow. Wanted to get some pics up though... Check out the new growth, it's looking much much much healthier!

Note, I'm seeing in the pics that they look a little yellow, but they are a nice bright green in person

Group Photo (Top row: Deadhead OG, Super Lemon Haze. Bottom: Chocolope, Super Lemon Haze):

Chocolope close-up of newer growth:

Shot of the "Mini Moms". Jack the Ripper, Super Lemon Haze, and Deadhead OG. I just topped the Super Lemon Haze in the middle. These were roughed up, too, but like the others they have excellent new growth:

Last but not least, remember my little cloning tutorial/post? Here are the clones as of a few days ago... I believe they've all rooted now, and I'll take a couple as backup. The Chocolope will be a new mom to replace the one I lost to Root Aphids.

Heh... Knowing you're smiling a little now, got me to smilin' buddy. Grats on the recovery, and KEEP'EM GREEN this time, huh?:peace:

Hey X,
I also removed the pumps from both my res quite some time ago but I also added airstones. Infact 3 stones per res. My temps have dropped dramtically and both now are in the mid 60's all the time. I did a little test with and without the stones and my finding were that the stones infact did bring the temps down by a degree or two. Helps keep the nute mixed up as well.
When I stopped using the beneficials I also found that I did not need the pump bags anymore. Those pump bags really do help though if you are using the beneficials.
I like running the sterile system. I have also gone to using the silica! I'm pretty much have copied the nute system you are running. THAT should be a compliment in itself! Thanks for helping me with that!

Thanks for sharing that A1 - I think it'll work great without anything, honestly. I went from having the sickest looking plants you've seen, to some of the most healthy looking vigorous new growth... it's hard to believe they're the same plants just a week later. I think sterile is a good way to go with a hydro system. I've done almost exclusively sterile in DWC and now the Flo N Gro, and aside from the bug issue, had really nice looking plants this way. On the nutrients/silica -- I will take that as a compliment! :thanks:

I don't want this post to have been misinterpreted at all, and I was pretty medicated when I wrote it. I realize in re-reading it I sound like I'm dismissing airstones or beneficials - and that wasn't at all what I was trying to do. I really appreciate the tips/ideas from Alaskan1. :thanks:

As far as the airstones - I just meant for me at this moment - I'm having great healthy growth right now without anything (airstones, circulation pump) in the reservoir. Because of that, I'm just not going to mess with it or change anything when things are clicking along this happily, lol. For me, that's always rule #1, if it's working well, don't touch/change a thing. Let it be, so to speak.

Having said that, if I start having an issue with temps again the way it stands, hell yeah I'll be giving airstones a go. It's a great idea and one I plan to copy if I have any more issues with res temps. I know in the past I've not been high on airstones for this system, but if they help cool the reservoir, etc. I'll give it a shot if it looks like I could use that help! I just have things rolling and I ain't messin' with it for nuthin' right now, lol. ;)

As far as sterile reservoirs, I know they work, and can produce nice results. Honestly, though, I'd like to get to a place where I have enough meds and experiment with doing it differently. I'd prefer to grow organically, but I want to stick with what works for me right now, what I can afford, and make sure I have enough meds right now. I'm hoping to get ahead, and then start experimenting with beneficials, that sort of thing. As mentioned, I'm loving what organics did for my coco coir moms. Just not there yet with the Flo N Gro!

I realized that not everyone can see what's in my (albeit foggy) mind... and didn't want anything to sound like I'm dismissing something, when I'm really not trying to. Just speaking for my current situation, which is finally working well again. :)

Mostly I appreciate all the love and support from everyone here. Nobody more than A1 (thank you so much for being a great friend!)

Hey there X! Your journal moves extremely fast like OMM's. Really glad to hear you got it worked out. I hope you and every one did not think I was trying to profit from you with the water chiller. I was really trying to help you because I know what you have been going through. We have both been through some tough sh*t this last last year. As long as you are aware of the temps and are able to shut down the problem pumps when needed....I am very sure you will be ok. You obviously know what you are doing!! :high-five:

Are you kiddding me?! You blew me away when you offered up to help me with that! I'm really at a loss for words how cool that was, honestly. I was sincerely worried and concerned about you for the longest time, CF. I really wished I could have helped you through what you were going through - honestly. Now, I think I got to a similar place - and you've been here for me big time. I see that you have my back, and I so so appreciate that. I just don't think I have the space for it, and I've got it working well during the most difficult test of summer heat that it'll probably get, so I'm not wanting you to have to go through the trouble/effort for something I don't think I have room for, or a need for, anyway. The sentiment though? Awesome. :circle-of-love:

:thanks: buddy. Sincerely!

You sure remind me of me in my last grow...I was miserable :smokin::smokin:

Yeah, I am so happy to see that you are having a better go of things lately. I hated that you were dealing with all those things. I am having one of those grows so far, but hopefully I've got things heading the right direction. Those damned bugs! Please be gone please be gone please be gone bugs...

I bought it at one of the hydro sites online. I am not sure how long they last. I ran this unit straight nonstop for almost 2 years. Never had an algae or bug problem.

I just pulled this up from a.com. This is the same exact unit I have
1663383874590.png

Active Aqua Chiller Refrigeration Unit - 1/10 HP

4 new from $319.00

I bought the same size unit a sun leaves brand for less than $220 from my hydro store last year.

That is a good price. I would have bought that unit instead. All the other units on the internet were so damn expensive. I wish we had more hydro stores in my area so we could get better prices. I am sure living in Nevada this unit is a must!

Must have been on sale. MSRP is
Sunleaves AquaChill132 gal, 1/10HP$444.00

and that's for the smallest one.

I know this much, for DWC, those things are the BOMB. They will take away 95% of the headaches. It's amazing how important a cool water temp is for DWC. Not as much so in the Flo N Gro, but still important/valuable. If I were to switch back to DWC, I'd consider a unit like this a pre-requisite now. My first 4-5 grows were in DWC without a chiller, but was fortunate to be able to keep a cool reservoir (was able to keep a cool basement pretty easy). Then, I moved, and it became much trickier!

Heh... Knowing you're smiling a little now, got me to smilin' buddy. Grats on the recovery, and KEEP'EM GREEN this time, huh?:peace:

Thanks man! I'm feeling better for sure, mentally anyway. More than anything it's a state of mind I think. I just had to fix it, and feel lucky that it's working so far. I feel so motivated to continue down this path - you ever just know when you've started down the right road with things? I feel that way right now, that I'm on to the way to get myself healthier both mentally and physically. Just feels right, ya know? Maybe it's all the positive energy from you guys (and gals!). I'm a believer, because out of nowhere I feel like I've been able to pull myself up a little, and I'm guessing it's you guys all being right there for me.

Brother, you've been a great friend for a long while now, and I appreciate it so much!! :thanks:

always wanted to try dwc..makes me want to try it even more now....nice grow

Hi Walshy! First, welcome and thanks for popping into my journal. I know we were talking about DWC a little, but it's actually not a DWC system that I'm using, though. I use a Flo N Gro, which is similar to an Ebb N Grow type system. Basically, it's a system where a reservoir pumps water to buckets that are flooded for a short period periodically throughout the day. Right now, mine are flooded every 4-5 hours or so during lights on. I love it!

DWC is a great way to grow too, but water temps are critical, hence the need for "chillers" if temps can't be kept below about 70f.

Thanks for dropping by! :thanks:

hey X long time no see! I got some catching up to do! :X

Cool, well skip to the part where the plants and I are happier again, lol!! I was getting awfully depressed, and the plants looked worse than me, but I'm trying to turn it around. :) Nice to see you Deege! :high-five:

I had so much catching up to do. I hope I didn't miss anyone, here or PMs! Please let me know if I did, I got pretty behind, and the last thing I want to do is miss responding to anyone.

I'm really blown away by the positive energy and support. Thanks doesn't quite cut it, but that's the best word I got. :thanks:

I really feel like I must be feeling the positivity being sent my way, because it's like a fog was lifted and I could see how I can affect things positively by taking a different approach to things. I'm just not a negative person, so I need to get back to being me and refocused on positive pursuits. This, and you guys are certainly part of the positives. I appreciate all the love and positivity (and generosity) so much, I can't express it. Best thing I can do is tell you all that I think it's helping, as I feel so much more grounded mentally, pretty much out of the blue.

I still have a lot to do and get done personally, but feel more motivated thanks in part to you guys and the energy sent my way. Thank you!

:circle-of-love: You all rock!! :theband:

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" Dori, from Finding Nemo

hey X!

Glad to see your mind is on the right track.. i am a strong believer in everything must get heavy before it becomes lite..

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong"

Your plants are always in the battle of survival and thriving.. they are there to try there hardest to stay alive and accept nurturing! Looks like all the parts are gonna play back together!

Keep on swimmin' !

hey X!

Glad to see your mind is on the right track.. i am a strong believer in everything must get heavy before it becomes lite..

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong"

Your plants are always in the battle of survival and thriving.. they are there to try there hardest to stay alive and accept nurturing! Looks like all the parts are gonna play back together!

Keep on swimmin' !

Thank you Spirit. I like your quote - how true! :high-five:

I don't know on the yield, honestly. I don't have anything to compare it too, as it was the first grow with the strains involved - and with the 11 hour lighting. I also flowered them really early to make sure I didn't overgrow my space - I probably should have flowered later.

But, I mentioned it more because the reduced hour of light, in theory, could have an effect on yield - I'm not sure. Sounds logical, though?

Well we are about to find out as each week from here on out in my flower tent I'm going to deduct a half hour of light each week until I hit 9 hours and then keep it there.

Back
Top Bottom