Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Boy oh boy X....:sorry::confused:

I once heard this quote from a very down to earth, honest, thoughtful friend of mine when I was in a really shitty situation not to long ago...

"Sometimes the valleys are there so we can appreciate the peaks a bit more"...

It might be stuff you don't have much control over, but from the mere 7 months I've been here there's not a single human on this planet who has more heart than you :love:.

I really don't know what else to say besides I really care about you and feel for you so much. The sympathy is almost starting to hurt...please, if there's anything I can do?...:love::love:

Hey A1!

I appreciate the suggestions. In short, I'm really happy with the results I've been able to get in the Flo N Gro with a sterile reservoir. Bug problem aside, I've had some very vigorous healthy plants in the first couple of runs with it, and I'm not ready to mess with that too much yet (if it ain't broke don't fix it?).

What I have discovered, is that my res temps have gone up just a smidge due to the warmer weather outside. It's amazing what a couple of degrees can do. I'm finding that, when the temps get borderline, unplugging my circulation pump is just enough to keep it where I want. In the past, I was running cool enough that I didn't notice any temp issues by running that pump. But, the slight increase due to the warmer ambient temps caused the pump to push it from 66-67, to 68-70.

As an experiment, I stopped running the pump that kept the nutes recirculated in the reservoir, and the temps are staying at 66-67 degrees. Most importantly, the nutes are staying fresh longer and the plants are looking happier. If they keep looking as good as they are and I continue to not have any issues, I'll just ditch the pump for good. This is the first time I've had any issues with it as far as temps, but I haven't grown with the Flo N Gro in summer until now, either. I liked the idea that the pump would keep the nutrients from settling, but it doesn't appear that's happening anyway... Most importantly, since discontinuing it, my reservoir is also running much cleaner. The added aeration from the pump was causing a lot of issues with sludgy build-up that has completely disappeared since discontinuing it.

Hey X,
I also removed the pumps from both my res quite some time ago but I also added airstones. Infact 3 stones per res. My temps have dropped dramtically and both now are in the mid 60's all the time. I did a little test with and without the stones and my finding were that the stones infact did bring the temps down by a degree or two. Helps keep the nute mixed up as well.
When I stopped using the beneficials I also found that I did not need the pump bags anymore. Those pump bags really do help though if you are using the beneficials.
I like running the sterile system. I have also gone to using the silica! I'm pretty much have copied the nute system you are running. THAT should be a compliment in itself! Thanks for helping me with that!

Hey there X! Great to hear that you got it figured out! Sounds like the pump was causing more harm than good!
When I ran that similar unit I used a water cooler. I just kept the water at 68 degrees at all times. If you could use it you could give me a PM and we could work something out.

002_2_4.JPG

Dude that is kickass! Where did you get that?

Hi Surfbuddy! Thank you.

Sorry for taking so long on the reply. Yes I have - it works great. I saw nice veg development and had no issues. I've gone back to vegging 24/0 lighting, because of the convenience involved. I prefer 12-1 (GLR) or even 18/6 slightly to 24/0, but it depends on your priority. For me, the priority is convenience due to the way my space is laid out. If you wanted to save a little money or get more vigorous growth in veg, then GLR/12-1 is fine.

I've not used the bloom version of this, which is essentially a diminishing light schedule. However, I did bloom under 11/13 my last grow and liked the results fine, though I may have left yield on the table. After reading up on some DJ Short stuff, I saw that he has a theory regarding 11/13 (vs. 12/12) will coax more sativa tendencies, and that was my goal. I do feel like there may be something to it, too. I saw a lot of sativa traits in my plants, the buds, and the "high" from them - the big question is would I have under 12/12 too?

So let me see if I got this right.
You did notice that the plats had a more sativa like growth and high but you think you lost yield with this type of lighting schedule?

Dude that is kickass! Where did you get that?

I bought it at one of the hydro sites online. I am not sure how long they last. I ran this unit straight nonstop for almost 2 years. Never had an algae or bug problem.

I just pulled this up from a.com. This is the same exact unit I have
1663383919615.png

Active Aqua Chiller Refrigeration Unit - 1/10 HP

4 new from $319.00

I bought the same size unit a sun leaves brand for less than $220 from my hydro store last year.

I bought the same size unit a sun leaves brand for less than $220 from my hydro store last year.

That is a good price. I would have bought that unit instead. All the other units on the internet were so damn expensive. I wish we had more hydro stores in my area so we could get better prices. I am sure living in Nevada this unit is a must!

X you're pluggin away in style per your usual....I have complete faith in your ability. Sorry I haven't been around so much lately, but think about you and everyone often!
Your grow looks fine Brother. Although, I know what it is to feel it could be better. Funny, how even with your skill, you're still learning. I think "mastery" is relative, to each grower. I'll probably never feel I've mastered more than a style or two, but never growing in general....
I hope you're not over extending yourself too much, be healthy first my friend...:Namaste:

Hey buddy!

I'm doing much better, at least mentally, then I was. I've been pretty blessed with healthy, pest-free, plants since I've started growing (did have something do a little damage last grow, but I wiped whatever it was out pretty quickly).

I've heard so much about how difficult root aphids are to eliminate, and I went hog-wild aggressive. When you hear about people actually moving to new grow spaces to get away from them, only to still have a problem in the new space... Yikes! So, I really went after them - but I did knock the plants back significantly in the process. I'm so relieved to say, the new growth has been looking absolutely perfect/gorgeous, and abundant. They had a little setback, but they're flourishing now - WHEW! :)

Yup, always learning! I don't know how skilled I am, but I've definitely worked hard at it and enjoy learning/trying new things. I can't imagine ever feeling like I've mastered anything. Heath Robinson is the only person I can think of who I'd say I feel has hydroponics "mastered". The rest of us have a lot to learn - me especially!

Thanks for the kind words and support my friend. :high-five:

i hate to quote a movie but like joe dirt said
"keep on keepin on"
youll get through it
im sure alot of us here believe in you and youll get through it
thinking positive at points in life like this is hard i know but theres always a bright side to everything
i know its hard to see it now but youll get through it and youll see

:thanks: Chronic. Joe Dirt quote! :)

I'm feeling much better emotionally/mentally. Even physically a little. I'm redirecting my negative energies into positive activities:

I feel pain - stretch/yoga.
I feel down/depressed - go for a walk.
I feel like relaxing - hammock (time outside).

I've significantly tweaked my exercise routine, and am pushing myself in regards to physical activity and stretching. I'm already fit for being so unfit, if that makes sense, haha. BUT, I want to do everything in my power to try to improve my condition, so that's where negative thoughts go for now - redirected! ;)

I appreciate the advice and the concern immensely. :thumb:

What ever your facing I wish you the strength to over come and work things out. Need a shoulder...I'm always here brother. :love:

My good friend OMM! You are the first friend I made here, and one helluva guy. I appreciate that a lot, and no worries, I'm a strong mofo. ;)

Oh, and thanks for always being there - I know that you are, and believe it or not, just knowing that helps! :circle-of-love:

Don't worry about us, we'll keep on while you sort your other life out. Please take care and we'll see you back here when you have time. I echo the other Hawaii boyz above.
Aloha

Thanks Surfbuddy!!

You have my number if need be my friend

You're a great guy and friend, A1. Thanks buddy!

:circle-of-love:

I am praying for you too. Please continue to think possitive and get better. You really have a lot of friends. Everyone loves you here.:circle-of-love:

Thanks CF. You rock buddy. I'm doing a little better. I'm taking control of life a bit more again and strengthening my resolve. I wish I could tell you how much I appreciate your support, and the prayer... Thanks doesn't cut it, but thanks anyway! :thanks:

Man X, I know depressed. First of the year I was looking at pending eviction (I've never been evicted in my 50+ yrs on this planet), worry about where the hell do I put my elderly mom with Alzheimer's and shitty SSI. Feeling like a total failure in taking care of her and pissed because nobody in the family gives a shit.

I was fortunate to get work literally withing 24-48 hrs of total eviction and got a break from the landlord as a result. Took 3 months plus to catch up. I'm not tons better off now, but the rent is paid, work is ok, growing these meds for mom seems to help some, and the light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train.

I too received many thoughts and prayers from folks right here at 420mag. Thanks for the support from you and others.

I can only share that I know the feeling of impending doom. It doesnt always mean impending doom, even though it feels like it. And most certainly overwhelming. Take one step at a time, with whatever needs to be priority. I know I speak for others here too when I say our thoughts are with you.

Thanks for sharing that, Bassman.

I know you've been surviving through a whole helluva lot. I'm really glad you got things worked out at the last minute! I'm knee deep in issues with my finances - I haven't had any income in months. But, I'm not going to let it win. I'm going to fight back, and control what I can control. That's all I can do - and I'll do it to the best of my ability. I'm all about refocusing my energy toward positivity right now. It seems to be helping, so I'm actually in a good mood today for a change. I hope I can keep it going... Here's to a whole lot going better for us both, huh? :)

Thanks again my friend. :high-five:

X, we love you, man. As I said before you started this "SLOW" journal... Take time for you, brother. We're not going anywhere if you leave to get things right at home. We know life sucks sometimes and you have to just take time off to deal with it. Once you get things straight, I'm sure you'll pick right back up.

All the best to you, my friend.

Hi Jandre -

:) Thank you for reminding me that I did put a disclaimer in the beginning, haha. Yes, I need the time to deal with stuff, but I need to hang with you guys too. Part of being down I think is due to not being able to get out more and socialize a bit, so maybe spending more time here can be a positive thing when I'm feeling down about being couped up. Life can sure throw curve balls sometimes.

Thanks for the love brotha!

Hey there X! Great to hear that you got it figured out! Sounds like the pump was causing more harm than good!
When I ran that similar unit I used a water cooler. I just kept the water at 68 degrees at all times. If you could use it you could give me a PM and we could work something out.

002_2_4.JPG

Heya CF -

Those chillers are awesome. I almost bought one a while back when I was thinking of sticking with DWC, but then didn't see any need for it with the Flo N Gro. Until now, I didn't have any issues at all with res temps, but then I hadn't really used it much with summer heat. Fortunately, the system is staying plenty cool since shutting down the recirculation pump in the reservoir. I liked that they kept the reservoir from getting stagnant, but I don't think it'll be an issue without it. Funny, because it only adds a degree or two at most from what I can tell, but in the summer it's just enough to make it concerning. I've gone several days without it now, and the temps are fine. The plants, too, have spectacular looking new growth and have really taken off. So, even though I really appreciate you offering to work something out I don't think I actually have the need (or space!).

Thanks a ton for offering up a great solution though! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom