Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

thanks mate, im going to go an have a browse, i gota admit, corey really does know his stuff, when i told him i was in the uk and couldnt get bpn he told me to go to the garden center and write down everything that they sell nute wise then he would go through it all and talk me through whats best and how best to use it, and thats on top of all the hard work he does making and selling his product, so he really is a top bloke and knows his stuff, but since tesmp hooked me up with bpn i have not needed anything else and im even saving a bit each week for my next batch i need. i dont think i want to use anything else after watching my plants go from nothing special into growing monsters pretty much within 48 hours, the off the shelf nutes i was using must of lacked something that bpn has, and i think i know what it is, i think it lacks the C.

the C i hear you ask, surely you know what the C is, begins with C and ends in EY, i think thats what my nutes was missing a magic touch and some fine tuned nutes.

now my only worry is, im growing a plant in the aero garden and it holds 1gallon of water and ive been told to empty every weeks, but ive only got 1 plant in their and it seems to be growing ok and its been getting on 10 days now, the roots look good, but i dont really want to throw all my bpn product at this plant when i can water 2 or 3 plants with the same amount of water and it seems a waste to throw it away after when it looks exactly how it did when i put it in, is their anyway the waste can be used for my other plants or plants in veg, i just think im throwing away good money, so i think im going to visit a garden center or hydro store and see if i can find something else i can use for the aero garden instead of using bpn, im ok using it in the dwc 2ltr hempie as their is little waste as it drinks most of what i give it, but using it all in he aero garden really is draining my bpn, thats why i have not changed the res much, if the plant was suffering and didnt look healthy then id change it, at one point it looked light green so it was lacking in N so i added a bit extra nute as i was been a bit on the tight side and it made the plant look normal, so i need to find something i can use in the aero garden that will give me similar results, the aero garden is sold in my country so their must be products out their for it, so im off to the garden center when i can get a lift

I agree with you that Corey is a great guy. I sure hope people continue to support him, he's earning it. I would definitely stick to changing your reservoir on that every 1-2 weeks. The plant will have exhausted the nutrients it needs in that time, and will need to be "re-fed". Also, if you don't keep it fresh, you could be inviting problems with root rot or even pests.

I have a suggestion. In the UK, you can find "Ionic" nutrients. They make a pretty good "1-part" nutrient. Heath Robinson's grown some massive multi-pound monsters with this stuff, and it does work. It's simple, and pretty affordable -- best of all it should be something you can find in the UK. I think it's about £7.50 ​per liter.

Basically, it's one part veg, one part bloom, and a bloom booster. They're used one at a time mostly, so they're a true "1-part". Meaning, you don't need to buy several bottles of stuff. They're designed primarily for hydro, too. Now, if you wanted to throw more money at it, there are many other options. But, this would be a pretty affordable hydro nutrient option that's available to you in the UK.

Hi X, looking good....are those actually airpots? :high-five:

Love the your cloning method. Thanks! :bravo:

Hi OMM -

Yes! I love the little airpots for "mini-moms" and freshly rooted cuttings. They don't take up much real estate. I use a (not overly coarse/thick) coco coir, no perlite. They just love the whole set-up! I just bought a larger airpot, too, and might try to find a use for it. I really like them, and the "Smart Pots", too. When I had to cull my main "moms", which were in Smart pots, they hadn't had much damage from the bugs yet and the roots were AMAZING. I saw the same thing in a couple that were in Air Pots, too. Both seem to be great at getting a giant network of fine root development. I like the size of the smallest Air Pots, but then they jump up pretty big, so I almost prefer the Smart Pots as the next size up. I wish there was an Airpot size between the little ones and the next size up - I'd be all over it. You were the guy who got me interested in these - THANK YOU! Oh, and you got my MOTM vote (of course!)

Thanks on the cloning thing. I would have liked to have taken more pics, but I like to keep moving when I'm cloning so I don't feel like grabbing a camera in the middle of it. I prefer to get them snipped, clipped and under the dome as quick as I can. :) I am always looking for good info on how to do stuff like this, so I'm just hoping this is helpful to someone. I like that it's simple and affordable, too - almost anyone can clone like this for pretty cheap.

Everything is looking great X !!!
I liked your tutorial on the cloning. Perhaps I'll do one as well in my new journal thats starting on my method with the EZ cloner. So far I have a 100% success rate (knock on wood)
Love the Flo n Gro my brotha !!
Going to have to get with you and Jandre soon. I'm going to start my own breeding program. Maybe we can use skype or something.

Hi A1 -

:thanks:

Nice harvest, btw! Really looked great, and you gave them a good trim. I think cloning is like a golf swing. You just want to find something that works well and is repeatable. Lots of ways to do it! Being a hydro guy, I tend to gravitate to wanting to do something like an EZ cloner, but this just has been working so well and is so simple. Sounds like you've got yours clicking well - definitely share it! :)

I'd love to play around with genetics and breeding, but I don't have the space to do it properly (or the physical energy/endurance at the moment). I had fun making a few interesting crosses, though, and I can't wait to grow them out. I have no idea how to skype!

Are you still digging the Flo N Gro? I was worried that it wasn't working out as well for you, but sure seems like you had a great harvest. :thumb:

I love you man!

I love you too, buddy! :thanks:

I miss seeing you around, which is probably more me than you (I haven't been on as much lately). You have the unique ability to always bring a smile to my face - always, and just when I need it. I really need to go check out what's goin down in your neighborhood, and see if you have any new dancing plant videos or anything... Thanks for dropping by, and as always making me smile! :)

This vape hit is in honor of you: :bong:

hey X, great blog my friend, loads of great tips in their, covers everything, thanks for the hydro info, ill check them products out as id prefer to keep the bpn for my soil grow as them plants seem to be loving the magic corey makes, so i really need something for my aerogarden, i have disconected the pump i think it was to much for the plant and i had slime climbing up the stem, i unplugged the pump and within a few hours the stem as dried up and i wiped the slime off, i think it was algae climbing up the stem, so i turned the pump off, added an extra air pump into the res, i checked the root mass, and i was so shocked, i thought their was only 1 or 2 long roots in the res, but i pulled the lid off and lifted it up and looked at the roots and it was like a carpet of roots, i never even noticed how big it had got, but the roots where a very bright white so i think the problem was with the pump been a bit to harsh even on its lowest setting, plus using some fish tank filter to hold the soil in and plant probably dont help, but turning the pump off has stopped the problem and it dried up and wiped off easy, i got one air pump under where the plant is and its splashing the liquid up into the grow medium and the other air pump is in the middle of the res providing o2 for the rest of the roots,

hey X, great blog my friend, loads of great tips in their, covers everything, thanks for the hydro info, ill check them products out as id prefer to keep the bpn for my soil grow as them plants seem to be loving the magic corey makes, so i really need something for my aerogarden, i have disconected the pump i think it was to much for the plant and i had slime climbing up the stem, i unplugged the pump and within a few hours the stem as dried up and i wiped the slime off, i think it was algae climbing up the stem, so i turned the pump off, added an extra air pump into the res, i checked the root mass, and i was so shocked, i thought their was only 1 or 2 long roots in the res, but i pulled the lid off and lifted it up and looked at the roots and it was like a carpet of roots, i never even noticed how big it had got, but the roots where a very bright white so i think the problem was with the pump been a bit to harsh even on its lowest setting, plus using some fish tank filter to hold the soil in and plant probably dont help, but turning the pump off has stopped the problem and it dried up and wiped off easy, i got one air pump under where the plant is and its splashing the liquid up into the grow medium and the other air pump is in the middle of the res providing o2 for the rest of the roots,

Hey buddy! Sorry for the late response. Sounds like the Aerogarden is working well for them though! Good to address the algae situation. :thumb:

Update from the front lines:

I'm not sure what to think anymore.

My plants look weak, sad and pathetic the last few days. I'm not sure if it's from bugs or not. I feel like I've been treating the crap out of them, but there continues to be signs that they are distressed. The only thing I wonder is if the treatments themselves are starting to cause the distress for some reason. I'm not finding bugs on them, but the leaves are drooping badly, papery and curling down. Color isn't bad, but they are still droopy as hell.

On top of things, I've been contending with power outages making the lighting pattern really screwed up. Unlike the last round, this one is starting out anything but smooth. I had a minor bug issue last time, but whipped it quickly and moved on. This one isn't so easy.

My moms look pathetic now, too. I'll keep battling, but it's frustrating! Hope everyone else's gardens are doing much better!!

:bong:

Xlr8 said:

My plants look weak, sad and pathetic the last few days. I'm not sure if it's from bugs or not. I feel like I've been treating the crap out of them, but there continues to be signs that they are distressed. The only thing I wonder is if the treatments themselves are starting to cause the distress for some reason. I'm not finding bugs on them, but the leaves are drooping badly, papery and curling down. Color isn't bad, but they are still droopy as hell.

On top of things, I've been contending with power outages making the lighting pattern really screwed up. Unlike the last round, this one is starting out anything but smooth. I had a minor bug issue last time, but whipped it quickly and moved on. This one isn't so easy.

My moms look pathetic now, too. I'll keep battling, but it's frustrating! Hope everyone else's gardens are doing much better!!

Hey X

Sorry to hear about your babies and there moms. Hopefully they will start to perk up and turn around, I know if anyone can do it, it's you.
We blew a transformer this morning so I know how you feel about the power.

Best of luck!
BlazinThat

Hi X....just a crazy thought.....do you think you could have killed the helpful microbes in them? Maybe a shot of molasses would help? :popcorn:

Hey there X. It has to be either the bugs or the bug killer. I am rooting for you. Molasses sounds like a great idea. Do you think a flush would help? :cheer:

Hey X

Sorry to hear about your babies and there moms. Hopefully they will start to perk up and turn around, I know if anyone can do it, it's you.
We blew a transformer this morning so I know how you feel about the power.

Best of luck!
BlazinThat

Thanks buddy! :thanks:

I'm a bit more optimistic again. I think I figured some things out... See upcoming post. I appreciate the support and the vote of confidence a lot. :high-five:

Hi X....just a crazy thought.....do you think you could have killed the helpful microbes in them? Maybe a shot of molasses would help? :popcorn:

Hi OMM!

First, thank you for the suggestion. As far as the Flo N Gro, I run a sterile system, so that means I never have beneficials. I've found it easier to try to run sterile in hydro vs. cultivating beneficials (so far). Beneficials tend to overmultiply and clog pumps and things up in a hydro system, unfortunately. However, I think I figured out how to perk up my Flo N Gro plants (see upcoming post).

Before I had to toss my vegging plants (most of them) I had a few moms that I was growing using almost exclusively organic nutrients and additives, and even did a compost tea. The plants I was growing like this (in coco coir) were about the healthiest vegging plants I've grown or even seen for that matter (until I got hit by bugs, damnit!). I was just going to share what I was doing with those when they went south on me from bug pressure. The leaves on them were thick and shiny, almost waxy. Perky and almost electric green color on the newer growth. I miss them so much! Everything I have left looks beaten and wilted due to Root aphids and treating them. Sigh.

BTW - Here's what I was using on them in coco coir (not all always at the same time or all stages):

• MotherPlant A&B bio-organic nutrients
  • Atami Root excellerator
  • Soluble Seaweed extract
  • Sierra Natural Sciences SNS 604a (veg supplement)
  • Silica
  • Hygrozyme

I hesitated to bring up my experiment, because almost everything else I've been growing has been thriving using Blue Planet Nutrients 3 part, and I feel a strong sense of loyalty to Corey for his tremendous support here. But, since you brought up beneficials, and I had to cull them before I got around to talking about, I thought I'd mention it now. I have to say, the experience made me a believer in the power of organic growing and beneficial organisms.

Having said all that, I think you might be on to something for the coco moms I have left. They are still beaten but looking up a little. Since it was working SO well, I'm going to switch them to the more organic recipe to see if I can perk them up even more. Thanks for the suggestion!!

This particular Jack the Ripper mom was one of my (mostly) organic plants. In person, the lighter shades of green were almost electric looking:
apr_5_1.jpg

Most of the rest I was growing with Blue Planet nutrients, which were also doing spectacularly, but didn't have quite the same shine and glow. I had the MotherPlant nutrients already, and thought it would be fun to go more organic on a couple - and honestly I didn't want to see it go to waste. Wow, they looooved the more natural nutrition big time!!

Hey there X. It has to be either the bugs or the bug killer. I am rooting for you. Molasses sounds like a great idea. Do you think a flush would help? :cheer:

I think I figured out the solution to the Flo N Gro plants looking so bad. I had, amongst other things, been drenching the roots in Azamax (twice). Well, I started thinking about things. Oil and water... do not mix. I think the oily nature of the Azamax was suffocating the roots somewhat, messing everything up. Maybe keeping them from drying properly, maybe keeping them from uptaking nutrients properly. Who knows, but... oil and water don't mix, I know that. So, took your advice and flushed them with water and "Clearex".

I really think that was it. They are looking much happier today. Though most of the leaves are still curled and fugly, the new growth looks promising, and they are perkier looking. Definitely looking better than they did. Thanks for the tip!!

Hey buddy, how are you going about treating for the RA?

Azamax, SNS 203, and SNS 209 systemic - basically applied as directed on the labels. I'm taking a break from it all as I was choking my plants I think. Gonna see what happens, and maybe stick to foliars for a bit?

Also, the coco moms have diatamaceous earth on top, and I have Hot Shot pest strips, and mosquito dunks in my reservoir. Oh, and Home Defense sprayed around perimeter of grow room. I pulled out all the stops! Maybe too many? Sigh. :)

Hi OMM!

First, thank you for the suggestion. As far as the Flo N Gro, I run a sterile system, so that means I never have beneficials. I've found it easier to try to run sterile in hydro vs. cultivating beneficials (so far). Beneficials tend to overmultiply and clog pumps and things up in a hydro system, unfortunately. However, I think I figured out how to perk up my Flo N Gro plants (see upcoming post).

Before I had to toss my vegging plants (most of them) I had a few moms that I was growing using almost exclusively organic nutrients and additives, and even did a compost tea. The plants I was growing like this (in coco coir) were about the healthiest vegging plants I've grown or even seen for that matter (until I got hit by bugs, damnit!). I was just going to share what I was doing with those when they went south on me from bug pressure. The leaves on them were thick and shiny, almost waxy. Perky and almost electric green color on the newer growth. I miss them so much! Everything I have left looks beaten and wilted due to Root aphids and treating them. Sigh.

BTW - Here's what I was using on them in coco coir (not all always at the same time or all stages):

• MotherPlant A&B bio-organic nutrients
  • Atami Root excellerator
  • Soluble Seaweed extract
  • Sierra Natural Sciences SNS 604a (veg supplement)
  • Silica
  • Hygrozyme

I hesitated to bring up my experiment, because almost everything else I've been growing has been thriving using Blue Planet Nutrients 3 part, and I feel a strong sense of loyalty to Corey for his tremendous support here. But, since you brought up beneficials, and I had to cull them before I got around to talking about, I thought I'd mention it now. I have to say, the experience made me a believer in the power of organic growing and beneficial organisms.

Having said all that, I think you might be on to something for the coco moms I have left. They are still beaten but looking up a little. Since it was working SO well, I'm going to switch them to the more organic recipe to see if I can perk them up even more. Thanks for the suggestion!!

This particular Jack the Ripper mom was one of my (mostly) organic plants. In person, the lighter shades of green were almost electric looking:
apr_5_1.jpg

Most of the rest I was growing with Blue Planet nutrients, which were also doing spectacularly, but didn't have quite the same shine and glow. I had the MotherPlant nutrients already, and thought it would be fun to go more organic on a couple - and honestly I didn't want to see it go to waste. Wow, they looooved the more natural nutrition big time!!

IMAGINE THAT! Just picked up some Mother Plant nutes today lol My mothers are looking a little weak for a few reasons. The other would be I need better light then the LED I have them under.
I was going to add some Hygrozyme. Technoflra Green thrive alive and some Great White and see if that perks them up

Back
Top Bottom