Five Strains In 33"x33" - 600W HPS - Organic Soil Mix - 7 Gal Pots - Water Only?

Hey gang-

Now that my clown car of a grow room is fully loaded, RH is getting out of control during lights-out. I can keep it around 75F and 40% RH with the lights on. When the light is off my temp drops to low-mid 60's (I'm good with that) but the RH climbs up near 90%.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the mini-dehumidifiers (Peltier technology - no compressor) used in a very small space. I get it that they don't work well in larger spaces, but I'm dealing with less than 120 cubic feet of space. Any experience is appreciated.

Hey gang-

Now that my clown car of a grow room is fully loaded, RH is getting out of control during lights-out. I can keep it around 75F and 40% RH with the lights on. When the light is off my temp drops to low-mid 60's (I'm good with that) but the RH climbs up near 90%.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the mini-dehumidifiers (Peltier technology - no compressor) used in a very small space. I get it that they don't work well in larger spaces, but I'm dealing with less than 120 cubic feet of space. Any experience is appreciated.

Everything I have read about them is this.... Save your money and buy a real one, they will not do what you are expecting them to do.
I was having a few issues with that as well so what I did was set up my exhaust fan to run more in the off hours to exchange the air more. I have central heating/ac so the room I am in is in the mid 70's but all my exhaust is vented outside so to pull the moisture out. It all kind of depends on how you have your ventilation set up. On a timer? on a timer/temp gauge? or just strictly with a temp gauge.
But I also have a 10x5x6.5 that I am only using 1/2 the area of. Things may be a lot harder, once I get my other lights and go into full swing.

The reason I only vent with my light on is my grow room is in an unheated area. If I run an exhaust fan while the light is off during the winter months, I'm pulling in cold air and the room gets too cold.

My exhaust fan is on a thermostat so it keeps the temperature good as long as the light is on (which is at night). During the day, the light is off, but it is too cold to pull air through.

It is far from an ideal setup but works well most of the fall/winter/spring. When it gets really cold, I add a small electric heater. That actually helps with the RH problem.

I didn't get to read the whole thread yet, but I had to smile at the Pitbull. She's a space taker for sure. I've got one now that I put in a little late and I'm paying for it lol. Training may be needed but we shall see. She might be done stretching now.

Anyways, I love the water only grow man! I did this a couple years ago with Pitbull of all things.. turned out so dang clean and tasty. May have to do it again soon.

pitbull_organic.JPG

Sorry, a little late, but I brought smoke :passitleft:

Welcome gypsy! Man, that is some tasty looking goodness you brought along! :lot-o-toke: :yahoo: :passitleft:

Hey major, I have problems when the weather changes too with rh.........my room is in he basement and as long as the ac or the heater are on the rh is within check.......anyway what I did was bought a 30 pint dehumidifier and taped 6 in duct to the top to direct the air where I Wanted it to go, Then put the dehumifer on a timer to come on opposite of the lights.......the dehumidifier seemed to bring room temp up bout 4 degrees which would help ya warm the air at night back up........like you said any kind of space heater or even the other way an a/c helps drop the humidity.......

Edit: dehumidifier was never in my small grow space just directed the dehumifer duct towards my intake........hope ya figure it out......i do know how much thought goes in to keeping the gr under control........:passitleft:

Another thing I noticed when reading ur post was you have no new air coming in during lights off? Is that ok?

Thanks Nate!
Yeah - not much air intake when the light is off. I do have lots of air circulation from a fan inside the room and there is a little air moving through just from normal convection. It hasn't seemed to be a problem in the past, but this will only be my second grow in the space and the first one had ... other issues.

If I get one of the little cheap-o dehum's I'll let everyone know if it helps.

What do you think will happen as both the home environment and the grow environment become more dependent on dry heat? You aren't in flower yet so to heck with the RH at this point. If things are still too damp in six weeks then it is good you are thinking about it now. I don't think the mini Peltier units are going to do crap...

You're more concerned with what the RH is going to be 6 weeks from now than what it is currently. Just my two cents.

Stay nimble.

Mornin Major....bin reading about your enviro issues...... A thought. Try changing your intake air to make it the same as the air that's exhausted....know what I mean? Bring in the warmer "inside" air and keep your Exhaust Fan /Filter combo running 24/7/365. That lil el. heater will go a long way in keeping the RH down during "lights off". Run the heater on it's own stat it should have but put it on a timer all by itself and only run it when lights are out to help with RH and keep the temps up a bit more. What ya think Major? Cheers pal.

What do you think will happen as both the home environment and the grow environment become more dependent on dry heat? You aren't in flower yet so to heck with the RH at this point. If things are still too damp in six weeks then it is good you are thinking about it now. I don't think the mini Peltier units are going to do crap...

You're more concerned with what the RH is going to be 6 weeks from now than what it is currently. Just my two cents.

Stay nimble.
You nailed it exactly, PeeJay.
I'm not at all worried about the RH right now. Buds are just now setting. But in a few weeks I will need a solution.
I tend to agree with your assessment of the lil' dehum's.

Mornin Major....bin reading about your enviro issues...... A thought. Try changing your intake air to make it the same as the air that's exhausted....know what I mean? Bring in the warmer "inside" air and keep your Exhaust Fan /Filter combo running 24/7/365. That lil el. heater will go a long way in keeping the RH down during "lights off". Run the heater on it's own stat it should have but put it on a timer all by itself and only run it when lights are out to help with RH and keep the temps up a bit more. What ya think Major? Cheers pal.
I don't have any warmer air available to me. This shower I use as my phone booth/grow room is out in an unheated garage. When it is 20F outside, it is 30F inside. I do pull air in from the garage so it is VERY SLIGHTLY warmer and drier than the outside air, but not much.

Last night I set my little heater back up. It will take about a week for me to fine-tune it's thermostat setting and monitor the results. I'm hoping it will do the job. Last winter I was able to keep the max RH between 65% and 75% this way (it varies with watering). Still not ideal for late bloom, but better than my current setup.

I'd get a larger dehumidifier but I'm getting to the max I'm comfortable with on my electrical circuit. I can't add a compressor-based unit to my room, even if I found room for it. The real answer is to build a new GR. I'm working with the "War Department" right now. We'll see if the ambassador can get it approved. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for all your input guys!

didn't you say your grow is in the garage? Most homes that is where the electrical panel is. I would just add a circuit or two depending on how full your panel is and then the electrical would be a non issue. If you need help With what you need to do to install it safely I am more then willing to help anyway possible. As I recall your in Oregon. Might be time for a road trip.

Just food for thought.

Cheers

I'm working with the "War Department" right now. We'll see if the ambassador can get it approved. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for all your input guys!

Oh for christ sake Major, grow a pair. Do exactly what I did. Walk right up to her, do not ask, tell her that your going to be building a new grow room. Show her who is boss and who wears the pants in the family!!!

Now when she replies like "she who must be obeyed" did, do exactly like I did. Say "I am sorry honey, I have no idea what I was thinking, how would you resolve my dilemma?

If that doesn't work, begging and lots of back and foot massages normally will do the trick!

Our main electrical panel is in our house, in the utility room. My garage has a 60A sub-panel. That would be more than enough but our well pump runs off that panel as well as a 220V circuit for my shop area (welder, etc.). I can still work with it and add another 220V circuit for my light(s). The bigger issue is where to put a new space. I have some ideas but none are ideal, purely from the physical layout of our place, plumbing, etc. I'm OK with wiring and electricity in general. It's just a matter of doing it once I get the "all clear".

Back
Top Bottom